My Pocket Rocket - White Candy - VW Polo 1.5 GT TDI

Thread Starter #16
Pocket Rocket gets new goodies..!!

Screenshot_20180315-233818_01.jpg

The pocket rocket is munching miles and already crossed 50k. As its been two years and 30k km after remap and nearing three years of ownership of my pocket rocket wanted to do something to spice up. The itch for more power and performance started. I Wanted to do something to push the pocket rocket a little more, Without much hardware mods, like turbo upgrade. I did a lot of research on the options available, which won't defeat its purpose of being a sleeper and daily driven. Finally decided to go with the decat downpipe. But was skeptical and lot of questions in my mind. The most prominent ones were about losing low end and NVH. My plan is to get only get a de-cat downpipe retaining stock exhaust and muffler to keep the exhaust note in check, as its a daily driver mostly driven by my dad.

Plan was to get the decat downpipe and also change the air channel guide to European spec, as the stock one is currently cut open in front, feared of water seeping in during monsoon. So ordered the European spec one. But Delivery of air channel guide got delayed so couldn't get it done. Will do it later. The decat downpipe is the first ever mod i did without being sure of the output. There wasn't a clear picture for me whether i will lose or gain low end. But the gains in mid and top end was sure. For me even i haven't have any gains in low end need it to be the same as the current map. After many chats with Gino, Sajan & sankar i decided to bite the bullet and get the decat downpipe. Contacted gino and fixed a date and gino promised to give back the car ready by same day evening.

Screenshot_20180316-093320_01.jpg

Screenshot_20180315-233435_01.jpg

I reached the Code6 service point, Carmed, in cochin by morning 9 AM and within few minutes my car was on lift. I wanted to do it as a reversible mod so flanges were welded to the stock downpipe in case i want to revert back to stock in future. Work started within no time and started fabricating the decat downpipe. By evening 6PM the downpipe was fabricated and installed and ready. Before the test drive checked throughly and ensured its not touching any other lines or parts. I was so excited for the test drive and so feared about losing low end as some of the online forums says low end will be lost. If low end is lost and noticeable my dad going to kill me.

Stock catcon

Screenshot_20180316-093312_01.jpg

Fabrication in progress

Screenshot_20180316-093307_01.jpg

Decat downpipe

Screenshot_20180316-093256_01.jpg

The moment of truth arrives, i cranked up the engine and felt the NVH same inside cabin, a slight difference to exhaust note if we go out and stand behind the car. Revved the engine and it felt free revving and climbing the revs smoother and faster with a light tap on accelerator. The moment i left the clutch, i was relieved as the torque at low end was not lost. Felt the same. The car moved forward as it had a lot of horses to unleash like before. Then had the test drive. I Could feel a difference in torque across the rev range, but after the turbo kick in and past 2200rpm it was mental. Like the car behaves differently, accelerates so quick and the engine feels more free revving. Car torque steers if i am hard on accelerator. Its difficult to judge the speed now as engine is free revving and no feel of strain to engine and if not careful easily go past 100kmph even i go gentle at throttle and shift through gears. The car is so fast that in signals i felt the others are slower as i am ahead always with normal shifts. The smoke levels are same as before. There is a sporty sound if rev harder past 2500 inside the cabin, though not loud as those with a FFE. The highway overtaking is a breeze, no gearchanges, just tap accelerator and you done with atleast two cars in a row. FE is down a bit as now, like by a 1-2kmpl in highways as the drives are now at speeds more than used to and easier to maintain high speeds. But still could see 20+kmpl avg easily, If not drive hard. Earlier it was 22+kmpl. I am not complaining as the performance of the car is worth it, and the mileage of 20+kmpl with all these mods is a dream.

Drive back to home. Highway moderate traffic. Sedate driving. Speed below 100kmph.

Screenshot_20180316-093253_01.jpg

City + Highway drive. Not so Sedate drive. Moderate traffic.

Screenshot_20180316-093249_01.jpg

Highway drive. Early morning. Less traffic.

Screenshot_20180316-093226_01.jpg

I feel the car is almost complete in terms of performance mods, now only need better brakes. Researching on the same. Will get it done later this year. Right now the shortlisted options are tarox and black diamond. As of now with all mods, the pocket rocket doesn't have any lag of the normal stock tdi engine and ready to fly from the moment and after 2200rpm its an different animal, difficult to tame. Its only when driven hard i feel the brakes are inadequate, normal driving the brakes does fine job.

Screenshot_20180316-093446_01.jpg

There are few issues i had faced too. The main one being the ABS sensors going kaput. First the driver side front gone. The service centre didn't had sensors in stock and informed dad its fine to run, as brakes will work fine but without abs support. But what they didn't said is if drive with a faulty sensor, the rest of the 3 sensors too go off as it will create a voltage difference between ABS sensors. By the time the sensors came in stock the driver side back sensor was also gone. Was lucky that all 4 didn't gone off. As i am out of warranty period now each sensor replacement costed around 4.5k including labour. The new sensors have a 2 year warranty though. It didn't took much long, within 3 weeks the passanger side back sensor also gone and took it to service centre and they said no lift free, can come back later and no issues to run as such as it will only make ABS support off. Give them an earful and asked them not to tell any customer the same as the remaining sensors can go off if drive with a faulty sensor. Then magically lift was free and sensor changed, all in 30 minutes. The VW guys didn't have a proper answer to why its going off just like that. Seems need to put aside 16k every two years for sensors. Also you can feel the abs kicks in even at slow speed braking when the sensor is at the brink of going off. And warning light will come and go in instrument cluster. If something like this happens better get to check it at the nearest service centre if not under warranty.

This pic is for the one who cares for environment and doubts about the emission after deact. Its still within permissible limits and better than many trucks and buses plying on roads.

Screenshot_20180316-093711_01.jpg

The pocket rocket is now worth its name and the sleeper look always gives surprises to ricer cars in highways when they try to challenge me. The decat downpipe was a cherry on top as it made the torque better across rev ramge and made engine smoother and free revving. I fully recommend everyone running a remap on polo tdi to do the decat downpipe because it really transform the car. And thanks to code6 team for all the support and helping me making my normal GT TDI to a pocket rocket.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20180316-093217_01.jpg

MJamshad,
You have indeed turned your Polo into a Rocket with all the mapping and still keep it as original as possible with minimal external mods. your Pocket Rocket looks Subtle.
Your photography is spot on dude.
Also liked the way you have used the sunvisor as a Sunglass holder in one of the pics, would definitely copy that;)

Thread Starter #18
@SilverEyez I love the sleeper look as its best to surprise the ricer cars[;)]. Mainly keeping it as a sleeper as it my dad's daily driver and he uses it most of the time. The only visual mod i like to do is to get better alloy wheels.

The Sunvisor-Sunglass holder only works when the car is stationary. As the grip is low under hard acceleration, it slips out.

Thread Starter #19
53k KM Update
Pocket Rocket Crossed 53k km and the oil change was done, as i follow the oil change interval of 7-8k km. Also changed the Air and Cabin filter as it was dirty. Air filter is now getting bad more easily as i am having a DIY euro air channel guide, taking air from outside, as i cut open the front. I replaced the same with a proper Euro channel guide sourced from VW. costs 1000 bucks. Changed as i had fear of water ingress during monsoons in the DIY one. The oil and filter changes were done at Carmed, Code6 service point, Cochin. Did flushing before oil change and this time i changed from Motul Xcess to Addinol Superlight. Wanted to change to Addinol Premium but it was not available, said will be available soon. Most probably will switch to premium as its VW 505 01 for the next oil change. Post oil change the car is smoother than before and its a fast & fun to drive car with the Remap and Decat Downpipe. The FE has lowered post downpipe but still getting 20+ easily. Few more mods planned for the Pocket rocket, but by the end of this year as i am not allowed to spent more on mods soon.

53k KM Update
Pocket Rocket Crossed 53k km and the oil change was done, as i follow the oil change interval of 7-8k km. Also changed the Air and Cabin filter as it was dirty. Air filter is now getting bad more easily as i am having a DIY euro air channel guide, taking air from outside, as i cut open the front. I replaced the same with a proper Euro channel guide sourced from VW. costs 1000 bucks. Changed as i had fear of water ingress during monsoons in the DIY one. The oil and filter changes were done at Carmed, Code6 service point, Cochin. Did flushing before oil change and this time i changed from Motul Xcess to Addinol Superlight. Wanted to change to Addinol Premium but it was not available, said will be available soon. Most probably will switch to premium as its VW 505 01 for the next oil change. Post oil change the car is smoother than before and its a fast & fun to drive car with the Remap and Decat Downpipe. The FE has lowered post downpipe but still getting 20+ easily. Few more mods planned for the Pocket rocket, but by the end of this year as i am not allowed to spent more on mods soon.
Nice to see mods on your car, a video with exhaust not would not hurt.[:D]
Where's your research with brakes, i am also planning to change the brakes in my GT TSI to something better.
If you don't mind can you do me a favor?
Will you be able to ship euro spec air channel guide to me. I pay pay for courier and air channel guide upfront. My service adviser is kind of unresponsive to my requests so can't order at workshop. Thanks in advance.:please:

Thread Starter #21
Nice to see mods on your car, a video with exhaust not would not hurt
Thanks @Jazzyb5454. I just got the downpipe and my exhaust and muffler is the stock one. so it sounds almost the same as stock unless i push it very hard then there is a little change in tone but not anywhere near to the ones with Free Flow Exhaust. I like it that way as want to keep it a sleeper.

Where's your research with brakes, i am also planning to change the brakes in my GT TSI to something better.
Nothing decided yet. Right now shortlisted Black Diamond and Tarox. Will update if i made up my mind on any and take the plunge. For now its on hold.

Will you be able to ship euro spec air channel guide to me. I pay pay for courier and air channel guide upfront. My service adviser is kind of unresponsive to my requests so can't order at workshop
Sorry, Right now i am not in india, working in UAE. Let me check with my friends back home,if they can help. will let you know. May be Your advisor has no clue about this. You could just Quote the Part Number (1T0805971) and ask him to source that part. Just try that. I did the same too. Make sure you be clear you want that part with the same part number, as they might order with your VIN and you might end up with another part, not euro spec one.

Thread Starter #22
@Jazzyb5454
Will you be able to ship euro spec air channel guide to me
Etuners motorsport India has these air channel guides in stock and they ship all over india. Saw an advert in facebook. You can contact them through Facebook.

Thread Starter #23
Screenshot_20180315-233818_01.jpg

Long Pending Update:

The pocket rocket has been serving as my dad's daily and still makes you smile every time you drive it. Had few upgrades, Mainly performance upgrade in the last year. Will try to list what all happened to the Pocket rocket in the last year.

Bilstein B6:
Pros over OEM

1)better ride and handling at average and high speeds
2) better stability, no pitching on high speeds on highways
3) better ride quality and comfort on rough roads on avg speed. Murders potholes. Cant feel the undulations on avg speeds
Cons of B6
1) very hard ride at low speeds for the first few km untill it settles down. After settling down the ride is still hard compared to OE only at low speeds. Other than that it is so much better than OEM. The low speed hardness can only be felt at backseats once the shocks settles down that too at low speeds.
2) increases wheel well gap. Thorough it may seem so worse after installation will lower a little bit after running in. But still more than OEM wheel well gap. Both at front and back. Looks like its on stills. This will eventually settle and the gap will be reduced though its still more than OEM. But on the upside you get increased GC.

To summarise its a worthy upgrade even you dont do track days or race junkie. Improves ride quality and handling by a lot. Would definitely recommend, especially for new polo with indian made softer suspension.

38K km Update:
Done oil change at 37k from carmed, cochin. Code6 service point. Also changed the air filter as it was dirty. This time for engine oil went with Motul Xcess instead of Motul Xclean mainly because Xclean was not available. I got the tyres rotated and aligned and also fixed the TPMS. The TPMS and Dashcam both proved really useful many times. I would recommend them to anyone own a car eyes closed.

45K km Update:
Pocket Rocket crossed 45k and the 3rd sevice done. The service bill came upto around 14k without the oil as i bought the motul from outside. The things included the regular filters and the front disc rotors as they were wrapped and can't be used more as already finished it in lathe the first time. I wanted to get the tarox but the state was so bad changed it as its my dad's daily driver and he mostly does highway runs. The car is performing well as always, with the code6 map and its been around 30k km with the code6 map. Had some bad experience too with VW ASC. VW malappuram did the emission update on my car even my dad asking them not to and the service manager says ok. I will detail the incident in a separate thread. Also The front right side abs sensor went kaput and as the sensor was not readily available with the dealer the left one also went off. Total damage around 8.5k including labour. Said the changed sensors have 2 year warranty. Also got the first puncture for the michelin after running around 18k. Thanks to the TPMS, as it detected the pressure loss and alerted. The car was parked and as dad got in and moved the TPMS alarm went on and showed the rear right tyre pressure low. Drove it to nearest puncture shop as the pressure was not alarmingly low. Apart from these car is running smooth as day 1 and performing well. As its been 2 years and 30k km after remap,was already thinking of few mods to add little more horses.[evil]

Thread Starter #24
Pocket Rocket gets new goodies !!!

Screenshot_20180315-233435_01.jpg

The pocket rocket was munching miles and crossed 50k by March 2018. As its been two years and 30k km after remap and nearing three years of ownership of my pocket rocket wanted to do something to spice up. The itch for more power and performance started. I Wanted to do something to push the pocket rocket a little more, Without much hardware mods, like turbo upgrade. I did a lot of research on the options available, which won't defeat its purpose of being a sleeper and daily driven. Finally decided to go with the decat downpipe. But was skeptical and lot of questions in my mind. The most prominent ones were about losing low end and NVH. My plan is to get only get a de-cat downpipe retaining stock exhaust and muffler to keep the exhaust note in check, as its a daily driver mostly driven by my dad.

Plan was to get the decat downpipe and also change the air channel guide to European spec, as the stock one is currently cut open in front, feared of water seeping in during monsoon. So ordered the European spec one through the VW ASC. It took some time for delivery as it was not in ready stock with them. Fitted them from the ASC itself.

The decat downpipe is the first ever mod i did without being sure of the output. There wasn't a clear picture for me whether i will lose or gain low end. But the gains in mid and top end was sure. For me even i haven't have any gains in low end need it to be the same as the current map. After many chats with Code6 team and Sankar, who already had a down-pipe on his GT TDI, i decided to bite the bullet and get the decat downpipe. Contacted Code6 and fixed a date and they promised to give back the car ready by same day evening.

IMG-20180220-WA0006-01.jpeg

I reached the Code6 service point, Carmed, in cochin by morning around 9 AM and within few minutes my car was on lift. I wanted to do it as a reversible mod so flanges were welded to the stock downpipe in case i want to revert back to stock in future. Work started within no time and started fabricating the decat downpipe.

Stock Cat
IMG_20180221_112912-01.jpeg

De-Cat Downpipe Fabrication in process
IMG_20180221_151507-01.jpeg

De-cat Downpipe
IMG_20180221_163538-01.jpeg

By evening around 6PM the downpipe was fabricated and installed and ready. Before the test drive checked thoroughly and ensured its not touching any other lines or parts. I was so excited for the test drive and so feared about losing low end as some of the online forums says low end will be lost. If low end is lost and noticeable my dad going to kill me.[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #25
The Test Drive:

IMG_20180214_002210_416.jpg

The moment of truth arrives, i cranked up the engine and felt the NVH same inside cabin, a slight difference to exhaust note if we go out and stand behind the car. Revved the engine and it felt free revving and climbing the revs smoother and faster with a light tap on accelerator. The moment i left the clutch, i was relieved as the torque at low end was not lost. Felt the same. The car moved forward as it had a lot of horses to unleash like before. Then had the test drive. I Could feel a difference in torque across the rev range, but after the turbo kick in and past 2200rpm it was mental. Like the car behaves differently, accelerates so quick and the engine feels more free revving. Car torque steers if i am hard on accelerator. Its difficult to judge the speed now as engine is free revving and no feel of strain to engine and if not careful easily go past 100kmph even i go gentle at throttle and shift through gears. The car is so fast that in signals i felt the others are slower as i am ahead always with normal shifts. The smoke levels are same as before. There is a sporty sound if rev harder past 2500 inside the cabin, though not loud as those with a FFE. The highway overtaking is a breeze, no gearchanges, just tap accelerator and you done with atleast two cars in a row. FE is down a bit as now, like by a 1-2kmpl in highways as the drives are now at speeds more than used to and easier to maintain high speeds. But still could see 20+kmpl avg easily, If not drive hard. Earlier it was 22+kmpl. I am not complaining as the performance of the car is worth it, and the mileage of 20+kmpl with all these mods is a dream.

Drive back to home. Highway moderate traffic. Sedate driving. Speed below 100kmph.
IMG_20180221_220154-01.jpeg

City + Highway drive. Not so Sedate drive. Moderate traffic.
IMG_20180223_194050-01.jpeg

Highway drive. Early morning. Less traffic.
IMG_20180303_053827-01.jpeg

I feel the car is almost complete in terms of performance mods, now only need better brakes. Researching on the same. As of now with all mods, the pocket rocket doesn't have any lag of the normal stock tdi engine and ready to fly from the moment and after 2200rpm its an different animal, difficult to tame. Its only when driven hard i feel the brakes are inadequate, normal driving the brakes does fine job.

For the one who cares for environment and doubts about the emission after deact. Its still within permissible limits(Did a emission test after the decat) and better than many trucks and buses plying on roads.

The pocket rocket is now worth its name and the sleeper look always gives surprises to ricer cars in highways when they try to challenge me. The decat downpipe was a cherry on top as it made the torque better across rev ramge and made engine smoother and free revving. I fully recommend everyone running a remap on polo tdi to do the decat downpipe because it really transform the car. And thanks to code6 team for all the support and helping me making my normal GT TDI to a pocket rocket.

Cheers.
Screenshot_20180315-230133-01.jpeg

Thread Starter #26
60K update:
The pocket rocket has been serving as my dad's daily and recently got done with the 60K service. Had vibration issues while braking with rotors and service center guys finished the face of rotor at lathe to solve the same. I am on my 2nd set of rotors. Might change to after market one the next time issues crops up which would be like after 30k km more. Bill came to around 16K including rotors and new break pads. Also i have switched the engine oil to addinol premium.

Pocket Rocket had a small accident. A wild boar suddenly came out of the paddy fields while dad was driving down to my aunts place and hit it. Bumper had a big crack and bonnet jammed. Currently its in ASC for repair. As per the estimate it would cost 35k. Actual amount will be known after the insurance surveyor check and works completion.

Planned a few minor mods to the pocket rocket as its nearing to its 4th anniversary
candle.gif
. Will update once i get it done.

Top Bottom