My Own JEEP Restoration Project!!

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends,this is how it took place:-
I and my friends were going to market in my car and we saw a good fat tyred jeep going on the road with four friends just like we are enjoying the soft drinks in the jeep and turning the heads of the complete traffic.Then after a slight discussion with my friends,from somewhere the JEEP BUG had started arising inside me too.One night passed,two nights passed and same way a whole week passed.
I was not happy,don't know why,but I was not.[cry]Felt something missing and then I thought that every night now a days I have been making the JEEP sketches,have been visiting various websites to have a look at the JEEP pics only and have been searching for wider alloys and tyres and their prices and designs while I have nothing to do with them.
Then came my father himself to rescue me,had a conversation with him like this:-
On the dining table with dinner in front,and I was busy with chapati in one of my hands and lappy in second with a Jeep image.
He:Beta have your food,this is a bad habit.
I:Yes I am having it now.Sorry.
He:What are you watching?
I:Papa,have a look at this pic,this jeep is looking great.
He:(I think he understood that Jeep bug has started taking birth so he tried to kill it at first)We are businessmen,JEEP is a nonsense and useless vehicle for us.
I:But why,100 kms/week is okay.It looks good too.
He:You yourself know what you talking of?
I:Yes,the jeep is looking good,and why can't we have one?
He:(Now understood that the bug has already born and now its better to feed it or kill it via politics)Okay,beta you know I used to love the JEEPS those days in 60s and 70s when they used to rule the movies.
If you search an original JEEP of those days,then I can think of it..
I:I am planning to RESTORE A JEEP,A GOOD OLD JEEP WITH A NEW TURBOCHARGED ENGINE!!!
He:What?:eek:(He was really shocked on hearing it)okay,but why?KABAADI MAT BAN,if you want a JEEP then get a new on your birthday or an already restored one.
And so on..

After a long discussion,I am left with a condition that I have to get a good old JEEP only then I'll be allowed to RESTORE it..
Looking for JEEPS and found one 1966 Willy's today,snapped it,will be posting the pics soon.
Here is a sketch made by me:-

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: My own JEEP restoration project!!!!

Congrats for the jeep bug.

Restoring one will definitely bring you more closer to the machine.

vit M makes me stay away from jeep - though i searched for one.

Get a mm540 or classic perfect for present day restoration.

Re: My own JEEP restoration project!!!!

Interesting, go ahead dude and yes look for a mm540. This thread will be intersting to follow. Best luck.

Thread Starter #6
Re: My Own JEEP Restoration Project!!!!

Well,today asked my father to take a look of the Jeep I had seen yesterday(just formality,of asking him)and he said "Why not?I am free between 12 and 1,let's go tha time".

At about 1:30 pm we reached the place to have a look at the JEEP,my father saw it quite thoroughly and noticed all and everything in it,he even asked him and looked at the engine too(I hadn't did it as I thought that for restoration no old engine will work).
After a very close inspection my father said(Today I came to know that even my father was also a JEEPER,and he also loves JEEP from somewhere in his heart)..[surprise]

Well,after inspecting the JEEP the conversation took place like this:-
Papa:See beta,you may like this JEEP but this JEEP is not a true JEEP!!
I:What?What d you want to say?
He:Full and final,I won't pay any money for this JEEP.
I:But why?This Jeep is in a running condition,its engine is still alive and its an original 1966 Willy's>
He:But where is the 4X4 and high/low gear lever?
I:I'll drive 4X2 JEEP.
He:No,if it will be a JEEP then it will have 4X4.
I:What??:eek:Papa you are growing old and you need a four wheel drive vehicle!!That also a JEEP!!

Then same way after a long argument,we returned home with he telling me how he used to drive the JEEP when I was not even born and how he bought his Armada.While I was boiling with anger,but what was good that inside a serious businessman,I had found a JEEP bug in my father himself.
Finally he said "Okay,now I'll give you not more than 2.5 lacs but before that you will have to find a JEEP and get it verified and passed by me".
I:Okay then i'll find one good old 4X4 JEEP soon.
He:You may not know,but its very difficult task to find one and convince the owner to sell it.IS IT REALLY TRUE?
I:I'll do it.
He:You find it and i'll help you in restoring it.
And I was again [surprise]

So mods:Kindly rename the thread with a title like "Jeep restoration by a father and son duo".

Here are some more pics of the JEEP we saw:-

Attachments

Thread Starter #7

TURBOCHARGED ENGINE Sounds Interesting.
Good Luck for your jeep hunt and restoration.
Yes,you have heard it right.
Here in Meerut there is a market called SOTIGANJ,this place is the largest car dumping spot in North India.
Any car/vehicle from stolen ones to accidental ones are cut here and the useful parts are sold out.
From there itself I am planning to source a good running condition turbo diesel engine,here is my list of engines I am searching for:-
Can anyone confirm that JEEP's engine bay can have a 2.5 turbo engine or not?
Mahindra 2.6 CRDe.
Tata 2.2 VTT.
Hyundai 1.5 CRDi.
Ford 2.5 TDCi.
Chevrolet 2.0 TCDi.
Toyota 2.5 D-4D.
ANY OTHER ENGINE?PLEASE RECOMMEND..
I have already inquired and from that market I can get any of these engines with valid documents from any accidental car for a price of near about 60k-1 lac.
Is it advisable to buy such an engine?

Well,I don't know anything about the JEEP thing,not even the J of the JEEP.So kindly send me a list of the Do's and Don'ts for this process.

@Ilango:I knew that this thread will automatically attract you.Same happened,you was the first to congrat me..[clap]

your dad is 100% right . 4x4 is where the fun is. its the jeep thing. without the 4x4 its like a polio attack/limbs broken[no offense to any one ]

So what if you dont know the j of jeep . learn from A of jeep first by theoretically in forums/blogs etc. let the spark ignite to maximum.

gain knowledge from just by reading and pictures.

If you dont understand , no problem just note and ask , people who know may help here. even if you dont get answer , no worries , you will get at end of jeep restoration.

Well after some good amount of knowledge , search a jeep.

My pick
If its diesel - mm540 / armada 4x4 / classic original - not make shift one

540 military version/auction have higher value.

If petrol my pick will be gypsy.

though petrol cj - hurricane are available its rare these days.

Then also find a perfect mechanic to restore it. jeeps need a perfect mechanic and he must know what he is doing.

If you are so keen in changing the engine , lot of imported 3L turbo engines from toyota and nissan are available
though i feel qualis fs engine must help you.

My choice is no crdi/dicor etc on the jeep thing.

it not only increase your cost . it need a perfect wiring along with its original wiring harness and over all the cost increases too much.

Simplified.
1. Read lot of jeeps and 4x4 things - restoration etc.
2. search a perfect jeep - if engine change is your priority - check for the chassis for any major damage.
3.Restore to your wish!

Hope by next year we have a customized jeep in tai!

Last edited:

Same idea is going in my mind! Dad telling me to swap alto for MM540(but parting with Alto is very difficult for me and mom)

Well about rigging of the engine,its better if you find the original one or buy ISUZU 3.0L(You have to die searching for that or buy a new one),but first you have to convince the R.T.O guys telling the current engine is a scrap,only then they may permit you to buy a new one.Legally no vehicle can have other Engine.

You could also try getting jeeps auctioned by Army.But this jeep posted here looks great so try getting an Engine.

Illango will help you with mechanical process.

Thread Starter #10

ilango[speed thirst];120227 said:
your dad is 100% right . 4x4 is where the fun is. its the jeep thing. without the 4x4 its like a polio attack/limbs broken[no offense to any one ]
I am more happy to know that my dad will be helping me,so now VITAMIN M will be no problem as if once the work starts then it will be completed.

Well after some good amount of knowledge , search a jeep.
That means,should I search again for a JEEP only after I get enough knowledge about them?In other words,even before buying I must read about JEEPS and gain knowledge about them?

My pick
If its diesel - mm540 / armada 4x4 / classic original - not make shift one

540 military version/auction have higher value.

though petrol cj - hurricane are available its rare these days.
But what may be the prices of the JEEPS you have mentioned?

Then also find a perfect mechanic to restore it. jeeps need a perfect mechanic and he must know what he is doing.

If you are so keen in changing the engine , lot of imported 3L turbo engines from toyota and nissan are available
though i feel qualis fs engine must help you.
Qualis FS engine means?
Are those imported 3L Toyota engines are the ones in DCM trucks,some one told me that those trucks are now a days being fixed in JEEPS.
What will be the price of these engines?
What are their power/torque figures?
Can a JEEP chasis bear high power and torque?

How to find a good mechanic,can M&M service center help?

My choice is no crdi/dicor etc on the jeep thing.

it not only increase your cost . it need a perfect wiring along with its original wiring harness and over all the cost increases too much.

Simplified.
1. Read lot of jeeps and 4x4 things - restoration etc.
2. search a perfect jeep - if engine change is your priority - check for the chassis for any major damage.
3.Restore to your wish!

Hope by next year we have a customized jeep in tai!
So CRDi must be left aside?
Will be following strictly.

Thanks a lot..[cheers]

Thread Starter #11

Same idea is going in my mind! Dad telling me to swap alto for MM540(but parting with Alto is very difficult for me and mom)

Well about rigging of the engine,its better if you find the original one or buy ISUZU 3.0L(You have to die searching for that or buy a new one),but first you have to convince the R.T.O guys telling the current engine is a scrap,only then they may permit you to buy a new one.Legally no vehicle can have other Engine.

You could also try getting jeeps auctioned by Army.But this jeep posted here looks great so try getting an Engine.

Illango will help you with mechanical process.
The above shown JEEP is fitted with a CONTESSA engine.How much will the Isuzu engine cost?

What may be the prices of JEEP at the auctions?

I still can't go above 3.25-3.5 lacs at any cost.

Last edited:

If you are looking for an engine change then look for 4X2 jeep also , 4X2 jeep can be easily converted to 4X4 with suitable parts.
in this case Engine change needs gearbox change,gearbox change needs axles change etc.

Modern Engines have more sensors, electricals , wiring etc it will be a difficult process unless you have a competent mechanic.

Choose any mahindra engine with a 4X4 gear box.
Jeep without 4X4 is a Jeep Without any Character.

Engine upgrade needs braking upgrade and suspension upgrade else you cannot tame this beast.

Mahindra Major has 2500 cc engine ,so i think cj series too can accommodate 2.5L engine.

Ilango can help you more in this.

I am more happy to know that my dad will be helping me,so now VITAMIN M will be no problem as if once the work starts then it will be completed.

that is one cool thing[evil]

That means,should I search again for a JEEP only after I get enough knowledge about them?In other words,even before buying I must read about JEEPS and gain knowledge about them?

Hardly takes maximum of 10 hrs of reading or lesser than that. You will get a over all idea , esp why the 4x4 , the thrills in it. forget the too technical when reading in forums /blogs etc

But what may be the prices of the JEEPS you have mentioned?

mm540 is surely over priced these days since lot are keen on modifying

Qualis FS engine means?
Are those imported 3L Toyota engines are the ones in DCM trucks,some one told me that those trucks are now a days being fixed in JEEPS.
What will be the price of these engines?
What are their power/torque figures?
Can a JEEP chasis bear high power and torque?

Turbo qualis engine is qualis fs engine. earlier version didnt have turbo . As you wish turbo , qualis engine is prefered.

How to find a good mechanic,can M&M service center help?

Depends upon your area. have to search, mm service wont help you for sure. just ask them and give a try
So CRDi must be left aside?
Will be following strictly.
Good
Thanks a lot..[cheers]
Answered in bold!

The above shown jeep is damn bad in body and no idea about the chassis . looks like a line of unused vehicle , the scooty behind it has a old version num plate.

I prefer stock engine. axles are being changed to wider one etc. lets see one by one when you build up

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Engine upgrade needs braking upgrade and suspension upgrade else you cannot tame this beast.

Mahindra Major has 2500 cc engine ,so i think cj series too can accommodate 2.5L engine.

Ilango can help you more in this.
In other words,an engine upgrade will increase the restoration cost my many folds??

Going the Ilango way..
Rest waiting for more suggestions.

@Ilango:
Qualis FS,does had a turbo engine?

Someone told me that N/A engines are better for such JEEPS,why is it so?

In other words,an engine upgrade will increase the restoration cost my many folds??

Going the Ilango way..
Rest waiting for more suggestions.

@Ilango:
Qualis FS,does had a turbo engine?

Someone told me that N/A engines are better for such JEEPS,why is it so?
Simple mechanics , easy to maintain , less in cost . btw jeeps are now used for fun and only few mm540 's are being used for long distance travels so turbo helps there. no in otrs.

practically since you own lot of cars , only for ots means n/a engine must be fine good.

just a fuel to your fire. Almost similar to your finding

Attachments

Top Bottom