My New Tata Safari Storme LX a.k.a CARBONADO

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: My New Storme LX a.k.a CARBONADO

The beast is looking handsome in its TRUE environment.
Someone just give me a kick. I have'nt done a trip in 1~1.5 years.

BTW, How was the offroading experience? is Approach & departure angles in Storme good enough?

Superb photos! Actually the last two are the best!!

Infact I had a feeling that clutch as gone, then felt that suspensions have become hard. However in my recent trip to vikarabad i tested the beast to close to limits. And aal iz well (it seems)
I think most of us to some extent (and Tata owners to a large extent) have this Paranoia of looking for and imagining non-existing problems [;)]

Thread Starter #304

The beast is looking handsome in its TRUE environment.
Someone just give me a kick. I have'nt done a trip in 1~1.5 years.

BTW, How was the offroading experience? is Approach & departure angles in Storme good enough?
it was going over rough patches off the road and on to the place where not many cars may like going. With such big tyres and huge GC, safari was able to take it in its stride. Infact I was not willing to take much chances :(

Approach and departure angles are magnificient and never ever feel that cars gonna scrap any where going over the mounds. Only thing i kind of feared were the scratched due to shrubs rubbing the body during off roading other than that nothing to fear when you have a storme. ;)

Last pic is awesome !

Btw Are you on factory fitted shock absorber ?

Have you checked its condition ?

Thread Starter #306

An Update after a very very long time.

ODO -42150

Somany things have happened since the last update.

I am unable to go for long drives or roadtrips for the past couple of years. Wasbusy with my toddler son, then workcaugthup with me and didnot have much time to spend with the beast.

there were couple of small hits my beast had to take, coincedently both when the beast was parked. Once a reversing car hit my right side tail lamp and the red housing broke.

Then very recently month ago, some one had hit left bumper leaving a 4 inch crack on it.

I thought, let me try using the insurance had not claimed any for last 4 years, and that was a bad decision i feel. I had national insurance bumper to bumper, zero dep and all the jazz. However when the time came for the payout, out of 11000 that was charged by service center they sanctioned only 7500. I guess i will never go with National insurance for the rest of my life.

Then i thought any ways i am going to change my bumper why not try and get fog lamps fitted. That cost me 5K extra including fitting and additional wiring. The bumper was the original one used on EX and VX. But the only grouse is it has a switch underneath steering wheel but other than that, from outside it just looks like original.

So few changes that my car has from stock is
1. applicaiton of the silver Grey 3m vinyl wrap one of the blackgrey plastic on rear door.
stomre1.jpg
2. Fog lamps in the front.
3. fitted with osram nightbreaker 55w (the throw and light is much better than stock 55w phlips bulb)

few other things i need to change is
1. Horn (immidiate action item)
2. Tyres. Still some way to go. Plan to change at 50k or when my pocket allows.

Will put some pics later

Overall experience with Storme from July 2013, I am loving it. with the influx of newer cars like Storme 400nm, Hexa or the proposed H5X and H7X... Still i feel Safari storme seems like an agelessbeauty. Love the way it rides and handles. Baring a bland but classy looking interior, it is perfect partner to me

Last edited:

ODO -42150

I am unable to go for long drives or roadtrips for the past couple of years. Wasbusy with my toddler son, then workcaugthup with me and didnot have much time to spend with the beast.

there were couple of small hits my beast had to take, coincedently both when the beast was parked. Once a reversing car hit my right side tail lamp and the red housing broke.

Then very recently month ago, some one had hit left bumper leaving a 4 inch crack on it.

I thought, let me try using the insurance had not claimed any for last 4 years, and that was a bad decision i feel. I had national insurance bumper to bumper, zero dep and all the jazz. However when the time came for the payout, out of 11000 that was charged by service center they sanctioned only 7500. I guess i will never go with National insurance for the rest of my life.

Then i thought any ways i am going to change my bumper why not try and get fog lamps fitted. That cost me 5K extra including fitting and additional wiring. The bumper was the original one used on EX and VX. But the only grouse is it has a switch underneath steering wheel but other than that, from outside it just looks like original.

So few changes that my car has from stock is
1. applicaiton of the silver Grey 3m vinyl wrap one of the blackgrey plastic on rear door.
View attachment 241960
2. Fog lamps in the front.
3. fitted with osram nightbreaker 55w (the throw and light is much better than stock 55w phlips bulb)

Will put some pics later

Overall experience with Storme from July 2013, I am loving it. with the influx of newer cars like Storme 400nm, Hexa or the proposed H5X and H7X... Still i feel Safari storme seems like an agelessbeauty. Love the way it rides and handles. Baring a bland but classy looking interior, it is perfect partner to me
Congrats on your well maintained beast, 5 years and still looks mint.

Any niggles and major issues on the way?

Enjoy your storm.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #308

Congrats on your well maintained beast, 5 years and still looks mint.

Any niggles and major issues on the way?

Enjoy your storm.

Regards
Vinod
hello Vinodji,
Thank you for your kind words.

Well so far i had niggles only in the rattling of the rear door at the very beginning now, I dont have any niggles what so ever. that is doing its duty as it should.

I realised that I need to change the brakepadsfor all the four wheels. that is also going to cost me around 10K . again that is pretty early since most of my driving 80% is in City during office hours. I guess mine would be the only safari which would have done majority of mileage in City than highway.

The Vinyl wrap is looking great! Your storme is very well maintained!
Any reason why you want to change horn?

I think Storme tyres can easily last till 60K minimum. I am also looking for replacing my aria tyres in couple of months which is currently at 61K.

ODO -42150

Great to see an update here. I recently picked up a used 2013 (Dec) Storme EX done 32K Kms. Was going through all the Storme threads in TAI during the purchase decision process, but found that almost all has been dormant for a very long time.

Damn... It is always painful to see scratches, dents and dings on our beloved rides.

Well... This is where the fine prints on the 'conditions apply' come to play, which we often overlook. We need to be extra cautious while taking a purchase decision of insurance, as there are lots of options and variations that different vendors have on offer. To match the cost competition, they tend to cut on certain refunds/ coverage and reduce the premium amount and that reflects directly on the customer experience. So long as we dont claim an insurance we will not feel the difference and would consider lucky to have got a better deal when compared to the other vendor quotes. End of the day we are taken for a ride, either at the purchase end (with high premium) or at the claim end (with less claim amount even with B2B, Zero Dep. policy). Some of us take a calculated risk of picking the low premium option, assuming the possibility of claims to be remote.

Will put some pics later
Am also planning to go for a horn upgrade, feels the stock one is highly underpowered hardly gets noticed and it doesnt befit the size and stature of the truck. Saw a couple of options at one of the accessories shop when I went for reverse cam installation, but that was the Skoda/ VW style one, which I feel does not fit Storme and its personality. Still scouting for a good option, let me know which one you are going for.
Regarding the tyres, are you planning for AT tyres or any other upgrades or sticking with the stock specs?

Wonderful to hear that you are satisfied with car and are enjoying the drive every mile, with a smile. Let it last for lakhs of KMs to come.

Thread Starter #311

The Vinyl wrap is looking great! Your storme is very well maintained!
Any reason why you want to change horn?
Am also planning to go for a horn upgrade, feels the stock one is highly underpowered hardly gets noticed and it doesnt befit the size and stature of the truck. Saw a couple of options at one of the accessories shop when I went for reverse cam installation, but that was the Skoda/ VW style one, which I feel does not fit Storme and its personality
Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, horn has gone kaput. some times it blows and some times it simply doesn't. I plan to go with Volkwagen type horn. Though they done suit Safari charachter, but the sound is pretty good.

Will postpone the tyres because if feel there is still some juice left in them.

Thread Starter #312
Update 46000 KM

My Carbonado is now 5 years old. Completed 46000 kms. Regular service done every year.

Following changes done
1. changed the horns to those of Skoda types, (bosch Horns)
2. Changed the brake pads both front and rear
3. Changed the tyres. put the stock bridgestones ones itself. spent 31400 for set of 4 incl wheel alignment and balancing

Next plan
1. get the foldable key just like the new storme.

About the vehicle:
Well the beast is beautiful to drive, love it everytime i am riding it. Have moved to chennai recently, and drove 745 km in close to 10.5 hours. Absolutely effort less driving, never felt any tiredness during the drive.

feel that beast is same as it was on the day i got it.

Some lastest images of my beast
08-1-01.jpeg

IMG_20180913_161618-02.jpeg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
nice pics.Your safari storm is looking imposing. Keep it up.
Your bridge stone tread pattern looks quite different from mine which I recently installed on my XUV. Is it dueler 684 (II),235/70 R16?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #314
nice pics.Your safari storm is looking imposing. Keep it up.
Your bridge stone tread pattern looks quite different from mine which I recently installed on my XUV. Is it dueler 684 (II),235/70 R16?
Thanks Mayank,

With regards to tyre, though I wished to go for some swanky stuff, michelins, LTX force, I stuck with original stock ones, due to 2reasons, do not want to play much since the car has been tested on the oem spec tyres, and budget was also importatnt for me.

BTW, mine are D689 235/70 R 16.

Last edited:

Top Bottom