My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #1,906

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

Clip_2.jpg

ALBUS - Now with Better Brake Illumination!

9.gif

I have been thinking to replace, for my ALBUS, the OE halogen BRAKE bulbs to LEDs and making them a Flash Strobe Breaking Lights as seen in the Indonesian ANHCs versions.
I had a Flash strobe aftermarket Rear Bumper Reflectors about which I have already posted the DIY here:
LINK 1
LINK 2
I removed the STROBE MODULE UNITS from Rear Bumper Reflector lights and preferred to add to the Main Brake Lights.
Connecting Right/Left Strobe Module Units was easy there with aftermarket bumper reflector LED lights as no cutting of original wires involved. But connecting to the original Brake lights requires some more DIY steps [think].
There were a lot of doubts, whether I can get online Male/Female connectors to avoid cutting of original wires, whether to go for WHITE LED Bulbs or the RED ones – as which one will suit and perform better inside a red housing. After a lot of online research, I understood RED bulbs must be the better choice. Also decided to change the third brake light within the car to T20 Red LED one/ rear parking lamps to T10 Red LEDs.

Therefore, I have procured the following:

1. 2Pcs T20 Socket Adapter 7440 W21/5W W21W LED Bulb Base Connect Wiring Holder for Car Brake Light
Very Good Quality, but required little alteration for Honda City socket hole.

2. 2pcs 7440 T20 Plug Car Accessories Male to Female Wire Connector
Very Good Quality.

3. 2pcs RED T20 12V/W21 7440 LED Bulbs 3014 144smd Car Brake lamp
Very Good, managed to fit inside the lamp housing as the length of the bulb is 6 cms. and just exactly occupied the available space. Pleasantly Red Color but not extremely bright. Non Polar Bulbs.

4. One RED T20 LED 12V/W21 7440 LED Bulb Car Brake Light
Very Good, intensity is adequate and beautiful, best suited to the third brake light inside rear windshield in the center.

5. 2pcs RED T10 LED Bulbs Car Parking Position Lights
Very Good, Fitting Size and Non Polar, RED color intensity is okay.

WHAT I DID / OBSERVATIONS:
I did come across some difficulties and could overcome. The T20 socket design was not exactly matching the OE thread lock hole, so there was a need to reshape the aftermarket base. Though it went inside but not locked securely, so fixed with 3M double side tape firmly. The LED Bulb was not fitting firmly like halogen bulb, in fact it fell down inside the housing, then I removed it to get the bulb back. l solved the issue by taping (insulation) the LED Bulb base with base socket.

I replaced the OE T20 Bulb with a smaller T20 BULB (Refer No. 4 in picture) whose brightness is cute but not over bright as OE Halogen.

Also replaced the T10 Parking Lamps in the brake lens housing with LED Bulb, Refer No.5 in the picture which gives adequate Red intensity.

I did not change the WHITE OE Bulb meant Reverse Indication.

One thing I noticed, in 2012/13 Facelift ANHC Break Lamps Housing design there are two chambers for the brake warning light, and the bulb positioned in the center. The strobe flash makes all the more beautiful as the flash flows between top and bottom.

Overall I loved the performance,
Honestly they are …..Bright and Beautiful ( THAN IN THE PICTURES) [:D]

BRAKE.jpg

SOME INTERESTING INFORMATION:

WHY RED LED, NOT THE WHITE?
A red lens will filter out all colors other than the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a White LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so most of the light would be filtered out by a red lens.
REFERENCE

WHY RED IN BRAKE LAMP, WHY NOT OTHER COLORS?
Objects that are of the color red can be better seen from afar by the human eye compared to other colors. As for the refraction part, despite interference from outside elements such as the air’s moisture content, water (from rain), fog and the varying temperature of flowing air, the color red still emerges as the color that travels the furthest compared to the other colors.
REFERANCE
vs1al4V.jpg

WHY THIRD BRAKE WARNING LIGHT @ TOP CENTER?
It is compulsory for cars to have a central brake lamp or third brake light (Also, called safety brake lamp or high-level brake lamp) located higher than the left and right brake lights as a distracted car driver is more likely to slow down the car, if a third brake light in installed in the vehicle in front of him.

ABOUT STROBE FLASH MODULES:
There are three types (Different blinking mod) and I preferred the Third one.
1. CD0100 - Always Flashing
2. CD0101 - Five Times Flashing and stop
3. CD0102 - Four Times Fast Flashing & Four Times Slow Flashing and then stop.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I recently bought a pre-owned Honda City (V-AT) model, and when getting her checked through a Honda service center, the SA said that the brake pads are only 2mm left; hence while searching for the same, I came across this thread and saw the mention of Brembo brake pads.

Can someone please guide for good options in the aftermarket or should I stick with OEM? Also, would I need to get the disc skimmed and brake oil changed?

Subsequently, contacted Amit (CarzSpares, Goa) for Brembos and he quoted 3800 for Brembo Ceramic (red).

Please advise. I very new to automotive technicalities in general, hence would love someone to guide me about this.

- Manas.

Hello @ManasN95

I have Brembo brake pads on my 09' Honda City i-VTEC and they are working fine since 2 years. Check this post for more details (Amazon listing no longer exists though).

I got it for 2.7k from Carzspares but even 3.8k is not bad compared to very expensive OEM brake pads. You can also contact United Motors and ask their quote.

If you wish to go for aftermarket brake pads then I'd highly recommend Brembo brake pads.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Hello @ManasN95

If you wish to go for aftermarket brake pads then I'd highly recommend Brembo brake pads.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hello Sir, thank you for the link.

Would you be able to tell how many KMs have you covered in the last two years of Brembos?

Also, about the disc skimming and brake oil change? Necessary?

Thank You for the heads up for United Motors.

Do I need to be aware about some of my driving styles during the use of these brake pads or should I continue normally?

Apologies if the questions are too basic, I don't want to take chances. Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards, Manas.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
How much are the stock brake pads ?
I once used tvs girling brake pads on my santro and the difference was substantial. I don't have experience with brembo but seems very expensive. I changed my Verna's front brake pads recently which costed 1200rs and the OEM costs just 650-750rs in their own packaging.
So maybe you can find the OEM parts in the local market which will be much lesser priced compared to Honda's brake pads.

OT - maruti use rane brand brake pads which are pathetic.

@manas - get the disc skimming done and top up the brake oil if required.

How much are the stock brake pads ?

@manas - get the disc skimming done and top up the brake oil if required.
Stock Honda OEM goes upto ~4500 + labour. They're NISSIN make. The same on my CBR250R. Outstanding brakes, but 4500+skimming+labour and probably I will get the brakes bled and oil changed so even above that, I'm probably looking at 7000-7500. Hence wanted to try Brembos, because heard a lot about them.

Would you be able to tell how many KMs have you covered in the last two years of Brembos?
I had replaced brake pads at ~50k and my car is at 53k now. Yeah, I don't drive much. [:)]

Also, about the disc skimming and brake oil change? Necessary?
Depends on the condition of disc, may be SA will check and advice you. As of brake oil, check whether or when it was replaced before. If its very old oil then get it replaced otherwise topup is fine.

Do I need to be aware about some of my driving styles during the use of these brake pads or should I continue normally?
Check this out or you can search "brake pads bedding procedure" in google. You'll find many websites.

Thank You for the heads up for United Motors.
Also in flybhp it costs 3k. Click here.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #1,916

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
ALBUS.jpg

You may not believe, but its true.

27th May 2020, Night 9.30 pm, it was dark & suddenly started raining.

I was on ALBUS heading towards my home after visiting an ailing relative … I was honestly slow, need to cross an acute bend intersecting the main road suddenly realized the cars was gliding into a deep mud just adjacent to the road and trapped into a fresh, unclosed man made big hole of 4 feet depth!.

Realized the car’s right front wheel is floating and the front bumper buried into the dried mud and resting.

I was unfortunate, became the victim of a reckless, irresponsible attitude of someone who dug for some deep pluming works and left open due to sudden rain.

I could not move either reverse or in the front as the left front wheel could not justify for the required horse power.

I was with my wife, could not leave the car as it was blocking the corner, preventing other traffic so had no other choice, left to the discretion of those good souls who tried to help in that painful situation.

They brought lot of stone from here and there, filled up as much as possible and while a call taxi driver raised the RPM, others around 10 people pushed the car back over the elevated road surface.

The four wheels were on road, I profusely thanked everyone, started the car, drove slowly towards home, also checked in between whether any changes in car’s performance in particular AC and Radiator, I could identify nothing, reached home safely.

But, the next day morning got a shock - Front part of bumper gone inside, pushing the AC condenser and Radiator towards engine. I could not see my ALBUS in such condition, but thanked him for making us to reach home safely.

The nearest HONDA dealer / body shop picked up the car, insurance formalities were arranged.

As expected, the Dealer wanted to change everything – front bumper set, AC Condenser, Radiator, engine protecting covers etc., worked out an estimate of around Rs. 1 lac plus.

I know, I would definitely be loosing around 50% cost towards depreciation as the car is 8 years old.

I told the Surveyor clearly that no need of a new AC condenser and Radiator as performance wise they are not affected except a minor bend noticed underneath of the condenser.
So, except for a spare of front bumper set, all others to get set right by removal and refitting labor, tinkering and painting.

Approved to proceed as agreed.

Now, the real problem started, they kept the car in an open area as no place inside the shed, and also told me that the repair & delivery would be delayed as getting OE spares would take inordinate delay, may be a month or two due to Covid-19 Pandemic.

Sleepless night started. If they would have told me earlier, I would have got back my car back home, safely parked until the spares arrive. Now, I could not see my ALBUS as an orphan uncared at an open area as junk.

But, I got back home my ALBUS rectified within 12 days! from the Dealer!

I would share soon about what I did, also some unpleasant experiences in overcoming my bad time.

Please wait for me to know further.
Thank you.
Dr MUDHAN.

ALBUS 2.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very-very sorry to see the beautiful ALBUS getting injured. I am shocked and can totally feel your pain. Bad things happen sometimes which are beyond our control.Don't lose heart.
Thankfully you and your dear ones were kept safe and returned home safely too.I am fully optimistic that it will come out of this repairing ordeal and once again retain its old glory soon.

I always come to see your post with excitement but this time it is rather heartbreaking. For someone else irresponsibilities, we have to bear the consequences. [cry]

Thankfully you all are safe and please don't worry about the damage, I'm sure ALBUS will revert back to original state soon.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Oh.. that's very sad and unfortunate thing happened to your always shining Albus.[sad]

BSNL, Water Authority, KSEB, Telecom companies, etc. is very happy to dig our roads and sideways. And they never do it as a team. Labours from each department comes separately and each one dig again and again, but never fill it back as it was before. Common/innocent People are the end sufferers of those guy's fault.

Anyway, good to see you and your wife are safe

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate ordeal Doctor Sir!
Bigger picture is that you're safe.
Waiting to hear about how you tackled the whole process as I too have recently got a 2012 year model, and God Forbid anything similar happens, I'd have your experience as a good reference point as to how to go about things.
Hope I don't come out as wrong in the sentence above.

Good to see that the dealer gave back your ALBUS in 12 days even in crunch times like these.

- Regards Manas

Top Bottom