My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #1,862

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Suryaputhra
Sure. Kindly give me little more days as I need to share in detail about the AUDI type DRL/Sequential turn indicators.

ALBUS – LIMITED EDITION METAL BADGE
I just purchased to indicate my ALBUS is a limited Edition. There are so many in Aliexpress … so many words & so many designs but most of them are lengthier / thinner in size. This one was shorter, quality metal and cheaper (Rs.95) as I preferred.
After analysis over sides, rear, I felt it is better on the chrome grill.
a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

US $1.33 22% OFF|New 3D Metal Chrome Limited Edition Emblem Badge Decal for BMW Audi Honda Opel Lada Toyota Chevrolet Hyundai Auto Styling-in Car Stickers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

How fast you are getting goods from aliexpress in Chennai. In Bangalore it become hell, earlier we used to get in less than 20 days Aliexpress standard shipping which uses 4px local in china and Singapore post for cross border. Last four months foreign post office people in Bangalore opening every item and it is taking 35 to 40 days in Bangalore. I am huge buyer from aliexpress but now afraid to buy from aliexpress because of this delay.

Thread Starter #1,864

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Suryaputhra

I am a Platinum Member of AliExpress , at present my experience is :

Direct GATI Courier (As Seller's Shipping Method by not over charging) – within 10 days
AliExpress Standard Shipping – Maximum 3 weeks (via Singapore/Chennai)
China Post Registered Mail- 3 to 4 weeks via Kolkata
Singapore Post - Maximum 3 weeks (via Singapore/Chennai)
Special Line-YW - Maximum 3 TO 5 weeks (up to India, and then tail end delivery by GATI / India Post/ or local courier.
4PX Singapore Post OM Pro - Maximum 3 TO 5 weeks
Yanwen Economic Air Mail / China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus – you must be lucky sometimes within 3 weeks/ within 75 days/ 25% you never even get it.
AliExpress Premium Shipping/ EMS/ DHL – Within 10 days but very expensive and I never opt.

Generally, the customs release it within one day, if holidays within 3 days. Unfortunately, if held for imposing duty plus 2- 3 more weeks. They are attracted by Weight/ GIFT word/ Value more than 20 dollars and on Mobile / Cameras.

I too platinum member, the same transit times were there before six months in Bangalore but now transit times are hanging I have visited FGN post office several times they informed me 30 days only for just processing. 15 days to reach Chennai + 5 days to Chennai to Bangalore FGN post office+30 days Processing+ if customs want clarification they send letter another 5 days + meeting the customs officer 2 days+ customs release and local delivery 3 days.

60 days if you mess up with customs, they are opening every parcel handling and repacking is very poor. If not 50 days. So lost interest.

Above time line is for Aliexpress standard shipping in Bangalore. China post will take little more time because it will transit via Kolkata FGN post office.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #1,866

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

ALBUS gets AUDI TYPE DRL / SEQUENTIAL TURNING LIGHTS
Part I

Clip_7.jpg

‘….. If you can recapture that childlike essence of your being, you can stay 'forever young at heart.' Wayne Dyer

Have you ever noted that the way your mind responds at the sight of a moving light / flowing turning signal in a luxury car… it’s so beautiful, isn’t it!
Yes, at this moment, you forget yourself as an adult & matured, but being intrigued like a child.
Why not to have in our car?
Now it is possible, by DIY @ low cost.

My analysis spread across all the online shopping sites and found the following.
  • It is difficult to get a branded, durable, reliable DIY KIT except OE to specific car manufactured.
  • The popular, affordable and acceptable quality of DIY KIT is from CHINA. As usual, there are so many sellers, so many types, but nothing scored FIVE STAR quality rating.
To summarize my findings on various availability:
  • External Strip Type Vs Internal Tube type
  • Single color (Only white) Vs Dual color (white or other colors and Amber Indicator)
  • Just flashing signal Vs flowing sequential turning signal
  • 12 Volts Vs 24 Volts
  • With external controller Vs inbuilt controller
  • Strip with one side sticker Vs both side sticker
  • LEDs Beads Type Vs plain strip type
  • First Original Make Vs Copycat Vs Later Improved Ones
Unfortunately, none of the one sold online, whether expensive or cheap are … neither real water proof nor quality controlled. You are supposed to get separate RIGHT and LEFT sides that the white and amber LEDs are on the right symmetry, BUT you get many times the wrong ones.

Also note, In India only White /Amber is legal.

My choice is external (no opening of light housing), plain type, 12 volts, with external controller (better handling & heat dissipation), flowing sequential amber indicators and improved one/value for money. Need to be ensured 100% water proof for safety and better performance.
So we need to do some homework.

I am very particular not to damage any part of the car, safe & minimum electrical connections. I would first prefer to keep temporally for some time & check the performance, and also not to dismantle anything even the front bumper unnecessarily.

Sticking is very easy in new generation cars because of the one-part bonnet lid as the head light housing top approachable. But in our HONDA CITY (2013 & Before Models) it is difficult as they are of three-parts, both side light units are mostly hidden, difficult to paste over the housing. We need to dismantle the front bumper for proper placement whether you prefer to paste on the top or bottom.

The first unit that I purchased from AMAZON INDIA was a disappointment. It was an inbuilt controller unit, the seller sent both LEFT sides, the wires were twisted at the contact points (short circuit expected at any time) I had to return on 10 days return policy fortunately.

Then I did extensive research and at present settled with another unit from China.

Clip_16.jpg

Clip_17.jpg

Clip_21.jpg

Clip_22.jpg

TO CONTINUE IN NEXT POST…

Last edited:
Thread Starter #1,867

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Part II
ALBUS gets AUDI TYPE DRL / SEQUENTIAL TURNING LIGHTS

Night.gif

Dual.gif

You would have come across many DIY videos online but none of these videos are complete except they talk about more of wiring / connections.

On analysis, I found only two sellers have sold more than 10000 units and recorded with maximum reviews in AliExpress.

US $4.98 |2x Ultrafine DRL 30 45 60cm Daytime Running Light Flexible Soft Tube Guide Car LED Strip White Red Turn signal Yellow Waterproof-in Car Light Assembly from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

US $6.99 44% OFF|OKEEN 2x Ultrafine Cars DRL LED Daytime Running Lights White Turn Signal Yellow Guide Strip for Headlight Assembly Drop Shipping-in Car Light Assembly from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

One is inbuilt type and the other is modified external controller (I understand the old external type controllers had some Radio interference issues).
I preferred the modified external controller type with ribbon cable, ordered and received on the 18th day from China. This unit had both side sticky tape.

We need to do some HOMEWORK before pasting them for a better life, Safety and performance:

Check for correct pair:
First I checked whether both are the correct RIGHT and LEFT strips and the LEDs are orderly placed - WHITE LEDs should face the front translucent thick border and YELLOW ones are on the rear symmetrically for both sides. Mine was not, though the seller sent R & L, I opened the end seal caps to invert and set right. Since I removed the LEDs copper strips from the silicone tubes, I felt that’s the right time to remove the double side tapes from silicone covers. Also checked whether all Diodes are lighting clearly so that one can claim refund immediately.

Please Note:
Double side tapes:

The double side tape with blue PVC ribbon comes on these units are unreliable,lousy and not heat resistant. Better to replace with 3M.
Generally, only one side is provided with sticky tape at the bottom where the LEDs are visible. But in this model both sides are provided. May be for the reason - one side to stick or any side to stick as we like / or to hide leakage of light from the open side. I removed both sides, to leave open on top side and to replace with half (6 mm – not to mask the diodes) of 1.2 mm 3M for the bottom side.
These stickers so gummy, you need to strip out the white ribbon cloth and then remove the gum by paint NC thinner slowly and carefully.
Double side tape on top side:
If you decide to leave the top without removing, Remove the blue PVC liner tape on the top to avoid blue shade and make the top surface non sticky by cleaning / putting little talcum powder. It may hide unnecessary illumination inside the bonnet if you want to leave it.
Double side tape on bottom side:
Bottom side is the side where diodes are visible and on TOP PASTING they will point towards light housing OR it should be reverse in case if it is pasted at the BOTTOM of the head light housing.
Right way to paste front:
We should also know to paste it in the right way. LEDs down if pasted on top/ LEDs up if pasted at the bottom and the translucent thick border of silicone tube facing front side. If you use other direction, the LEDs would be visible in front as cheap dotted line but may be brighter. If the double side tape is removed and a transparent double side tape is used or the Diodes are not masked by double side tape’s border as I did the entire head light housing will be illuminated. If diodes are masked by 1.2mm 3M tape, you see thin line of light in front, that may not be visible in Sunny day.

DOWN: NO MASK / COVERING OF DIODES
Y1.gif
W1.gif

DOWN: MASKED / COVERED DIODES
Y2.gif
W2.gif

What I did for me:

Removed both side stickers / cleaned the silicone sheaths by paint NC thinner, carefully inserted LEDs copper strip back to their correct order for Right and Left – white Diodes facing the front thicker line / Amber ones on the rear, closed all the end caps with FEVIBOND rubber solution which is easily available than silicone sealant. Allowed them to dry, and for 100% water proof wrapped neatly at the ends with plumber TEFLON tape.
Also, wrapped neatly end to end the EXTERNAL CONTROLLER/STABILIZER by black insulation tape for water / fire proof.

Checked the Strips for the right flow from bottom to top with 12-volt battery.

For pasting on the head lights some efforts are required for the 3rd Gen Honda City due to old hidden design, but it’s easy in new generation cars as the head lights are easily approachable.
I preferred pasting on top, so with the bits of thin 0.6 mm double side tape at the bottom, inserted to set sit as diodes down focusing to head light top gap, by NOT MASKING THE DIODES for better illumination. Also removed the original tape on top of the silicone flat strips to make them neat looking. I did not remove the bumper, but removed the two screws on the side bonnet parts that hides the head light assembly, used the gap to keep the silicone strip visible with the help of a plastic pry tool.
Of course, I opened the front grill little on top by removing the plastic rivets for getting the DRL Stabilizer controller inside to keep away from engine heat, also to do wiring easily.

Connections:
DIY enthusiasts’ different ways:
  • MANUAL: Connecting the RED wire to battery with a bypass switch at the dashboard, BLACK to body earth, linking YELLOW wire to turning lights.
  • AUTOMATIC: Connecting the RED wire to ACC / FUSE BOX, BLACK to body earth, linking YELLOW wire to turning lights.
  • Connecting RED/BLACK wire to PARKING LIGHT wired respectively and YELLOW to turning signals. (Need to put Parking Lights if you want DRLs)

What I did for me:

I already have a line from ACC for my existing DRL lights with a bypass switch at the dashboard. For that, I have added a DRL Voltage Controller unit that sense the voltage and automatically SWITCH ON while the engine is running/charging the battery, and automatically SWITCH OFF when the engine is stopped. So I have both manual MASTER SWITCH and an AUTOMATIC DRL Voltage Controller as well. This system helps to avoid battery drainage even if you forget to switch off, also to control the lights overall.
So, I have linked / bifurcated the same line from ACC that has the Master Dashboard Switch already, added another AUTOMATIC DRL Voltage Controller, connected the RED wire to it, BLACK to body earth and YELLOW to turning indicator wiring that connects the yellow bulb in the head light housing. You need not cut, either slice little or use a Crimp Scotch Lock / T Tap connector.
So, I have now one Master Switch with two lines from ACC, routed through individual AUTOMATIC DRL Voltage Controller. This may help to switch off my DRLs in case if I have any issues in future like failure of Diodes /one side etc.,

US $2.49 |DRL Controller Auto Car LED Daytime Running Light Relay Harness Dimmer On/Off 12 18V Fog Light Controller 2016-in Car Light Assembly from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

I have shared the best of my Experience/ Analysis.

I hope, you will get the BEST GUIDANCE here @ TAI if you are interested in this type of DRLs, that you will never get from any other website.

ENJOY! [:D]

Clip_5.jpg

Clip_2.jpg

Clip_3.jpg

Clip_6.jpg

Clip_4.jpg

Clip.jpg

IN FUTURE, if you come across any issues with LEDs, this two YouTube video guidance may be useful or otherwise replace the faulty stripe with a new one.
Clip.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #1,870

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
One of our TAI-ger asked that why did not I fix the sequential DRLs at the bottom of the head light housing as seen in Fourth Gen Honda City cars.
I checked in one of the DIY video on the 3rd Gen Honda City cars, but not happy, it also requires removal of bumper.
Our Honda City head lights are better looking if pasted on the top…. just like EYELIDS and, the movement of sequential amber light over the large head light unit is eye catching.
Also forth coming 2020 ANHC and most of the new generation cars have eyelid type DRLs.
Of course, it goes with personal liking.[;)]
Please see the following pictures and decide that which side would be good looking.
2.jpg
5.gif

Thread Starter #1,871

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Clip_15.jpg

Everyone in this world can make one act that makes the life meaningful. You too can make it.

ALBUS stepping into the 8th year of togetherness...

We were overwhelmed when this Beast came to our home years before....

When I was thrilled to share with others those moments of my ALBUS, I was denied membership by another Indian Auto Forum - Team BHP for the reason that my profile is inadequate.

It was a Red Carpet Welcome by our TAI (TAI means mother in Tamil) and the TEAM given me the best opportunity to bring out my potentiality with freedom. It was an honor when I was given their ‘Honoured Member’ award. What else we require- one can be enormously thankful for this kind of support which acts on the subtle level and makes it more valuable.

This act of encouragement triggered to bring out the best in me and to contribute more & more; it resulted in some of my UNIQUE THREADS which you will never find in any other Auto Forum:

As rightly said by TAI Intro / Birth Day page - these are not simply Reviews, but a piece of art written by heart! … And, It’s truly been an amazing journey of helping each other!

As on date, this Thread - My New Honda City in White - The Albus is one of top thread, attracting readers across the world that will soon cross SEVEN LACS views.

I would like to record my Love and Regards to all TAIgers, Reader Guests and the TAI TEAM for making the thread active. My special thanks to CRACING the one soul whom I have never seen, for making this Ownership Thread alive by his perfect interactions & contributions.

This is a piece of work that is very dear to my heart.

I am blessed, If this thread somewhere in your life time has made, makes you feel useful.

Thank You.
Dr MUDHAN

NOTE: These are some Snap Shots of my ALBUS after recent DETAILING.
I shall share soon with more pictures & the details of makeover that I gave to ALBUS in my other thread -Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics.

HBD1.jpg

HBD2.jpg

Clip_7.jpg

Clip_8.jpg

Clip_11.jpg

Last edited:
@Dr MUDHAN

Sir, I am glad you are back and it is good to see your posts here on TAI again and updates on beautiful "The Albus". Your car looks like cars we see in top class car museums. It so new and clean, Awesome work!

I wish you good health and happiness. [cheers]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #1,875

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ D.J.D, bhvm & Suryaputhra – Thanks for the likes. @ Nairrk & mayankdixit – Thanks for the appreciation. @ CRACING- Thanks for the kind words.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALBUS GETS - FASTag

PASTE IT PERFECTLY [lol]

Much said about FASTag in recent times. Now, everyone knows to get it and the ways to recharge it.

I am not going into that details.

One thing that I want to share about affixing it on the windscreen glass. It’s okay the way it is described in the instructions note that comes with this RF Tag.

But, it is not that easy if you want some perfection. Once affixed, removing / re-positioning will damage and make it useless. It is not very easy for everyone to paste it on the windscreen glass from inside, behind the rear view mirror perfectly at the center.

So, what I did

Made a piece of card exactly the same size as FASTag , measured the windshield glass horizontally with a measuring tape, located the center point , just affixed with fevi stik glue below the black ceramic line on the front of the windshield first. Once satisfied from front, and then I went inside, cleaned the glass with Colin and wiped. Now exactly I pasted at the back at the GUIDE STICKER. Softly pressed at the corners of FASTag by not applying pressure over the center RF unit. Finally cleared the Guide Sticker, cleaned the gum marks on the front side by AMWAY SP Liquid neatly.

See the picture for the tools that I used.

Note: Earlier during 2017, the FASTag was affixed not at the center, but slightly away from the edge of IRVM towards passenger seat below the heat dissipating black ceramic line. Unfortunately, in some RTO / Dealer office it was also fixed at the corner. They were okay earlier as hand held scanners were used. But, NOT OKAY now as scanners are being placed on the post.

Clip_2.jpg

Clip_3.jpg

Courtesy:THE TIMES OF INDIA, 19th December 2019.

Last edited:

Top Bottom