My New Car - Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum. I wanted to share my experience in buying and initial ownership report of my Hyundai I10 1.2 Magna.

How did it Begin:
Me and my wife frequently travel between Chennai and Bangalore at least once in a month. There used to be a mad rush for tickets in trains and busses over the weekend. We decided that we had a car on our own so that we can drive down at our will and the hunt began. We now had the task of looking out for a small car within a budget of Rs 4.5 lakh.

The parameters that we considered were:
• Decent mileage (about 16-17 kmpl).
• Good after sales service.
• Good dealer/service network.
• Decent cabin/luggage space.
• Availability of a car within 2 weeks.

Cars that were shortlisted were
• Maruti Suzuki Wagon R.
• Ford Figo.
• Maruti Suzuki Ritz.
• Hyundai I10 (1.1 IRDE).
Hyundai 1.2 Kappa was not at all in our list.

Maruti Suzuki Wagon R:

It was the time when the blue eye boy was launched. I was not so impressed with the styling and one should admit that the car feels so spacious and airy. The qualities of the plastics were also not up to the mark. The fit and finish somehow didn’t appeal to me. There was no test drive vehicle as it was a new launch.

Ford Figo:

This was a car that caught my attention. There was a dealership very close to our apartment. On a Sunday afternoon me and my wife went to the dealer for a test drive. While we had to wait for our turn for the test drive car we began to inspect the display vehicle. One really has to appreciate Ford for the amount of effort put in to engineer this car.

• Spacious cabin.
• Quality interiors (Fit and Finish).
• Lots of useful storage spaces.
• Good Inbuilt Music system

Dislikes:
• Even the top model did not have rear power windows.
• The front bonnet open lever on the passenger side.
• The gloss in the interiors

We were called by the dealer as the test drive car had arrived. The driving dynamics of the car was very good (Ford cars were good in that part). There was no body roll and the car handled pretty well. The engine did seem to lack some power on some roads in Bangalore because of the gradient. The gear throws were short and sweet. I really liked the car and it was well in our budget too. One point that has to mentioned in this car was the A/C. The air conditioner was an absolute thriller. It chilled the cabin within seconds. We thanked the sales representative and came back home. I fell in love with this car.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz

This test drive I had was purely coincidental. I was sitting in my balcony when I saw a demo vehicle run through our premises. I quickly ran down and checked out if I can have test drive. The sales representative quickly agreed and we had a quick spin.

• The refinement of the engine.
• The position of the tachometer (Sporty style)
• The rear leg space.

Dislikes:
• Problems while reversing the car. The rear visibility was poor
• There was evident body roll in sharp corners.

Hyundai I10 (1.1 IRDE).

My dad has a Hyundai Santro. I was a great fan of that car simply because of it absolute drivability of that car in city. The engine is peppy and can be handled with ease. It can easily trot around in 40 Km/hr in fifth gear. Hyundai i10 also had the same engine variant available. The dealer was very co-operative and he arranged a test drive vehicle. The car displayed the same driving dynamics as that of santro.

• The interiors were top class and the beige color gave a royal look to it.
• The gear position on the dash was superb. I remember the days when I used to hit the passenger’s thigh while engaging the first gear.
• The clutch was smooth and the gear shift was butter smooth.

Dislikes:
• The rear felt little bumpy.
• The beige dash reflected lot of sunlight on to the windscreen.

After that the sales rep started explaining the features and price for the 1.1 Magna. It was fully loaded with all power windows and rear wiper and defogger. I liked all those features and was about to leave when he mentioned about the Kappa engine.

I was reluctant as I knew that it will over shoot my budget. He wanted to test drive the same and I agreed. There was no test drive vehicle available. He apologized and very next day he came to my office with a brand new test drive demo car.
The interiors were the same as that 1.1 engine. What struck me was the power under its hoods. The car was really peppy and was eager to rev. Past 2000 RPM the car unleashed all the horses that it held within. It was absolute delight to drive. There was a draw back too. The car felt sluggish in slow speeds in second gears. This will not be a desirable aspect in city driving. The higher power bands of the car were an absolute thriller. We came to know that the 1.2 magna lacked some of the features that is present in the 1.1 Magna. There were no rear viper and defogger.
This car had all the features that I required:
• Tilt steering
• Power steering
• Power windows for all doors.

Time has come to make a decision:

Me and my wife pondered over 1 week. I was still in love with Figo. There were some points that were in a spot of bother. The dealership of Ford is not that good in Bangalore compared to Maruti and Hyundai. I liked the power of the kappa engine. Also considering the fact that my wife also should be able to drive I went for HYUNDAI 1.2 MAGNA

Dealership experience and other thing to continue.

350Z

Core Team
Re: My car hyundai 1.2 magna

Congratulations and welcome to The Automotive India. You have played on the safer side by opting for the i10. Looking forward to read rest of the part and also do upload some pictures too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congrats Vivek for the new car. Do post some pics and share your initial driving experiences, mileage etc .. Welcome to TAI. Happy and safe motoring [drive]

Congrats and welcome to TAI. Please post pictures and a review of the car. I too have an i10 (1.2 Kappa2 Sportz).

congo vivak for new i10. When I had driven i10 of my friend I felt the same way as you. the gear position is good and different. Smooth clutch.Nice visibility.Interiors are really fresh and cabin is airy.
Congrats again.How much it's cost?And what about discounts?

congrats buddy and welcome to TAI! thanks for review..please post pics and info!! [:)]

Dear Vivek,

Welcome to TAI Family.

Special welcome for you as one of proud owner of I10.

I bought i10 1.2 kappa magna in July 2010 & is flying well.

Do not expect / panic during city mileage. You will definitely get 16 - 18 kmpl during Blore-Chennai drive.

Best Wishes & keep us posted.

BSN

Thread Starter #11
Hi All thanks for the wishes,

The cars cost came up to 4.85 lacs.

I managed to get the following free from the dealer.
1) 3M underbody coating
2) Music system ( Sony Explod)
3) remote lock
4) Steering wheel cover,
5) Floor mats
6) Idol,
7) 3M Sunfilm,

Regarding the fuel efficiency:
My car has clocked 14000 Kms till date. i have dome some 10 trips to chennai.
i get around 18 Kms on highways.
Inside city i get from 12.5-15.0 depending on the traffic and AC-usage.

I am pretty happy with the fuel efficiency.

Pics have to be taken and will be up there in the next post.

Thread Starter #12
Dear All,
The driving experience has been really good. I am not a person who rips the car. i am very light footed. The car handles very well within the speed limits of 90 Km/hr that i maintain.

One spot of concern is the drop in power that the car displays when the A/C is turned on. Without A/C this car is a power bundle. Is it the same with other cars too. Please confirm...

The beige color reflects lot of light on to the windshield. I got the problem solved by switching to a Polaroid glass:). This is solved in the new gen models that are rolled out.

Overall i would recommend this car for a family of 4.

Hi Vivek,

Welcome to The Automotive India. Many congratulations for your new possession. This thread would be better with some pics of your beauty. Do post the interior and exterior shots of your ride.

One spot of concern is the drop in power that the car displays when the A/C is turned on. Without A/C this car is a power bundle. Is it the same with other cars too. Please confirm...
Yes this happens with many cars.
Just a tip - may be you can add K&N air filter which will help you a bit to overcome this issue.

Vivek welcome to TAI and congrats on your purchase of your I10. Okay a good start on your ownership but incomplete without pics.

Yes all cars do the same as yours when the air con is turned on,nothing to worry about that.

Top Bottom