My Modified Maruti 800

Possible solutions

Finally my car is again back with loads of issues.

Idling issue is back. The engine is misfiring . With that now the car is over heating just for 2-3 kms drive, the coolant is boiling.(Even though the fan is running continuously) Yesterday the coolant tank burst and the coolant is spilt all over the engine bay when my dad was driving.
Some how the car reached home with out stopping no where in the middle of the road.

I had seen muddy water inside the coolant tank 2-3 days ago so I got the radiator flushed and got new coolant yesterday itself.

I don't know what to do next.. My dad is already in second taught to sell this off and get a nano. But I will never do that.

Show them my restoration thread and I am sure they will consider your car problems to be minor ones[lol]. My car is almost 22yrs old and has rust, engine, gearbox, dynamo, battery issues and I am still punching ahead. Its because of support and motivation from guys like you, Jarpickle, Shantanu, Charithao and many other members. The DIY symbol of TAI should not be sold. Moreover except engine issues, I really dont find any major issue with the car.

Engine issues after 10yrs is something normal and might happen even if you dont do any DIY/ mods. Your car has seen over 10monsoons, different fuel qualities, the ever increasing size of potholes etc. It's not a problematic car, its common to get these.

Few questions :

Will electrical issues cause overheating ?
NO
Will getting the engine rebuild solve the issue?
MAY BE, not sure
Did my DIY / Modifications cause these issues ?
Definitely no

Will getting a new half engine better choice ?
Hold on for a week, check my car (with the almost new engine) then take a decision
What if I get a new engine, rto / insurance changes to be done to make it legal..
Sorry, I got no knowledge about this
Or would it be better if I keep the car idle for 1 or 2 months then think..
Give the car some well deserved rest for a week, then take any decision (I mean the servicing part, not selling).
We have never faced these type of issues with the car from 10 years, all of a sudden every thing cropped up.
What about coolant pump, if that is not in good condition, wont that affect coolant circulation and coolant temperature?

Friends need your suggestions..
Regarding the issues with your car, hang some lemons and chillies with buri nazar wale tera muh kala sticker.

Jokes apart, I would like to tell you that due to all the electrical mods the ECU may have started behaving abnormally. The maruti 800 ECU is not 100% re-programmable so it can't adapt lots of changes.

The possible causes of over heating are:
1. ECT sensor faulty
2. Improper air fuel mixture
3. High or Low current in the spark plugs

I'll soon post a long and tiring process to recover our beloved M800 from this state.
Shantanu what is ECT sensor?

Re: Possible solutions

Shantanu what is ECT sensor?
Anand Bhai, ECT is the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. The radiator fan is ECM controlled in type 2 model. The ECT sensor is connected to the Radiator fan relay via the ECM. Thus a faulty sesnor may lead to delay in start up of the cooling fan.

Also the ECM senses the Electrical LOAD and the Alternator OUTPUT. So, the ECM may have become unstable due to high amp Alternator and all the electric load.

So before rectifying the over heating issue, reset the ECM. Do not connect any DIY wiring.
Flush the radiator again and disconnect the radiator fan from OE wiring and make it direct (for testing purpose only). Also the water pump may need inspection.
Check the spark plugs for any oil or residue and check the timing for the misfiring issue.

Re: My Modified Maruti 800.

Sorry to hear this update Varun, your car is really showing up issues just because you started to care for your new Enjoy [:)] (just joking)

Probably you can try going for stock spares which you have replaced in the recent past which might bring your car back to its shape. (I maybe wrong, but i don't know about technical things)

There is no RTO procedure to swap the engine nor you cannot plonk another engine, it would be better idea if you can re-build the engine partially.

Finally my car is again back with loads of issues.
Sorry to hear that
Idling issue is back. The engine is misfiring . With that now the car is over heating just for 2-3 kms drive, the coolant is boiling.(Even though the fan is running continuously)
This shouldn't be happening, since yours is an MPFI engine. Perhaps you must try another MASS.

Will electrical issues cause overheating ?
If you consider failure of the thermostat an electrical issue, then yes, it can cause overheating.

Will getting the engine rebuild solve the issue?
You mentioned that you saw the coolant getting muddy. Check the plumbing thoroughly. I suspect something wrong with the cylinder head.

Did my DIY / Modifications cause these issues ?
Unlikely

Will getting a new half engine better choice ?
It's a good idea, IMO

What if I get a new engine, rto / insurance changes to be done to make it legal..
A friend's Logan had a seized engine and Mahindra replaced the engine block itself. They hot-stamped the older Engine number on the new block. No RTO issues in this case. I am not sure if that's the right way, or an endorsement in the RC is.

We have never faced these type of issues with the car from 10 years, all of a sudden every thing cropped up.
Did you let some new mechanic lay his hands on the car? Or, did you forget to service it at any point recently? Try to think on what you'd been doing different lately and probably you'll get some clues.

Good luck, Varun

Thread Starter #1,190

Thanks every one for the suggestions.

Few points. The water pump has been recently changed (1month ago), the coolant sensor/ thermostat is working fine since the fan turns on after the engine is heated up.

Will putting in a bigger alternator cause this issue, I guess no because it is running from almost 1.5 years.

All sensors have been changed, Map, IAC, TPS, oxygen sensor (before 6 months), ignition coil too replaced with spark plug cords.
There are no DIY wiring connected now. The car is running on totally stock electricals except the 100/90 head lamp wiring kit. The AC is too disconnected.

The spark plugs were replaced yesterday, radiator also flushed and new coolant added. (no improvement in the heating part)

The head was removed previously and cleaned thoroughly and all the valves were replaced. New head gasket. and other gaskets.

Will after market airfilter cause these issues ? Should I swap it with the stock one.

Would the head be bend and would require facing/ surfacing from the lathe.

Last edited:

Few points. The water pump has been recently changed (1month ago), the coolant sensor/ thermostat is working fine since the fan turns on after the engine is heated up.
Please check the water pump oil seals and gasket, leaky seal or gasket can cause this issue. Also if possible try to swap the radiator with another one(ask any FNG to lend a working radiator for one day).

Will putting in a bigger alternator cause this issue, I guess no because it is running from almost 1.5 years.
Yes, I too think its not the cause

All sensors have been changed, Map, IAC, TPS, oxygen sensor (before 6 months), ignition coil too replaced with spark plug cords.
There are no DIY wiring connected now. The car is running on totally stock electricals except the 100/90 head lamp wiring kit. The AC is too disconnected.

The spark plugs were replaced yesterday, radiator also flushed and new coolant added. (no improvement in the heating part)
The head was removed previously and cleaned thoroughly and all the valves were replaced. New head gasket. and other gaskets.

Will after market airfilter cause these issues ? Should I swap it with the stock one.
No, it will not cause these issues, but if you have the stock one, then try to swap
Would the head be bend and would require facing/ surfacing from the lathe.
Maybe, [confused]

Sorry for the over heating issue. Its always safe to be in stock filters. There are many reason for over heating head gasket failure (when they replaced your head gasket did they check your head and block surface), blockage in plumbing around the engine block, radiator cap and blockage inside the radiator.

I think, you have spent enough already on this issue. Last thing to do would be to get the engine work done, get the new half engine and hopefully everything should get sorted out.

In case none of this works, then may be you can think about your Plan B (switching to Carb) and join the gang of good old Carburator cars - Shantanu, Jarpickle, SS80, Girish, Prakritij etc.

Power Steering update:
I drove Varun's car last weekend and feels awesome, the wide tyres with power steering is a deadly combination. Parking is a breeze from now on. The biggest difference is the ease of taking complete U turns (3 point or more) on narrow roads, previously it was like a gym workout, now its pretty easy.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #1,195

Hi Linkin, me too taught the same, I guess there is a warp in the engine head. Let me get it checked.

Hi SS80 - I will have no option if the idle issues are back, then I would directly swap the intake manifold and other stuff (carb) from
your extra engine you had for DIY and run it with out any issues.

I think I should take your car to Kerala varun. how about showing your car in Popular with my brother?
Thanks for your concern Rakesh. I don't mind giving the car to you. The main thing is that the car is not drivable for 5+ kms. [frustration]

So I would replace the engine block and again if I face the same idle issues I will come there to get these sorted out.

Last edited:

That was a big turnaround in the idle problem. Eagerly waiting for its performance. One feedback don't use these KN or Green filter they are the root cause for this problem allowing dust in it.

Top Bottom