My Maruti 800: Ownership Thread

Thread Starter #31
I had one more question.

Will the zen or any other fixed rear view mirrors fit on the 800? I find it very irritating to adjust my mirrors everytime i park somewhere and those guys close it or even if someone just nudges it etc. It would be nice if i could find an rvm where the mirror swivels within the rvm casing.

^^ Well, ideally i would have liked to. But the way things played out i could not get it done.

On one of those Neelam rain days in Bangalore, my car would not start in a place i had parked in indiranagar. So i had to push start the car with the help of a security gaurd and took it to the nearest station i knew, which was UM motors. There once they had diagnosed the problem to be a kaput alternator i had to go ahead and get a new one. The old one was not charging the battery at all.

However, as a long term project i could think about getting this done on a later day.

Btw, in that case should i scrap the idea of getting an amp and a sub for my ice?
I had one more question.

Will the zen or any other fixed rear view mirrors fit on the 800? I find it very irritating to adjust my mirrors everytime i park somewhere and those guys close it or even if someone just nudges it etc. It would be nice if i could find an rvm where the mirror swivels within the rvm casing.
No Issues you can get the ICE but make sure don't turn on all the load at a time. You can use ICE + Headlamps no issues.

No there is no option for that, I too have tried a lot.

Thread Starter #33
Thanks Varun.

Btw, Just crossed 80,000 kilometers on the car. Issues keep cropping up every now and then. However, it is expected i guess with the wear and tear of having been on the road for 10 years now :)

Thread Starter #34
Hi Guys,

My Maruti 800 is doing well. Sometime during the next two weeks, I will be giving it for a service.

There are four or five issues that i have identified which i will need to get fixed. It would be of great help if members could help me with what the problem is exactly and if possible even approximate costs. This way i can go in prepared for the service?

1) There is a squeaking noise from the front right tire side. Starts increasing the longer I drive the car. It stops when i start braking and starts again when i accelerate. I have diagnosed it as a disk brake problem. Mostly needs a cleaning. Am I correct?

I will get all the brakes of the car tested and will change the pads and lining of the drum brakes if needed. The most I am likely to spend with everything changed is Rs 1800 for this job. Is that a good estimate? (Brake booster will have to wait, will get it done in March)

2) There is a churning mixed with a squeaking sound sometimes when I brake. This does not happens always. But pops up every now and then. It happens only when I am braking and from my driving position it seems like it comes from the center of the car (or maybe the left side). Can anybody tell me what this could be? And what i would need to fix?

3) There seems to be a lot of shaking feedback from the engine. I was told the bolts holding the engine would need to change. Is this true? I even find a lot of shake through my steering wheel when I am stationary? Is this an indicator of this problem? If so how much should this job cost?

4) I park my car directly under the sun and I have no other option for parking. The sun spots issue on my car has increased and now looks very bad. Other than a new paint job is there any other solution to this problem?

My car has completed 80,000 kilometers. Based on this are there any other things that i should look out for during this service? Are there any recommendations on engine oils etc?

Thank you

Thread Starter #35
Sorry for the multiple posts.

Does anyone know how much a jack and wrench for the Maruti 800 will cost? A standard one, not those electric types. Can i get it at M.A.S.S?

I have lost my tool kit.

Hi loboprashanth,

First get the brake pads replaced, coming to 80k kms service. You need to replace the fuel filter, air filter, oil filter. If you have not changed the timing belt please replace it on priority it might get cut and make the car stall (I faced the same issue). Also check the V-belt condition.
Also replace all fluids (engine oil, gear oil, brake oil, coolant).

Regarding the engine vibration, get the engine bedding (mounts) replaced. These are made up of hard rubber which holds the engine onto the chassis. They get weak due to heat and vibrations. Engine mounts would cost some where around 1.3k (All 3 mounts) .

Why not try using a cover so that it would protect the paint ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #37
^^ I had heard reviews where car covers directly under the sunlight sometimes melted into the paint. That's why i refrained from it.

Btw, Varun, do you have any idea where i could get the Jack and wrench and how much they would cost? Planning to go to Karwar in February. Need to buy this on priority.

Last edited:
^^ I had heard reviews where car covers directly under the sunlight sometimes melted into the paint. That's why i refrained from it.

Btw, Varun, do you have any idea where i could get the Jack and wrench and how much they would cost? Planning to go to Karwar in February. Need to buy this on priority.
Don't buy plastic covers, get a trapaulin the cloth kind of cover.

The entire jack set would cost 600 rs. You can get it in any MGP outlet or visit JC road.

Thread Starter #40
Hi All,

My car is back from service. Feels okay. Couple of issues still. I had told them to change the disk pads, but they said the old ones were still good and cleaned them and fitted them back.

However, after a few kilometers of driving, i start getting squeaks again. Kind of irritating. Will putting new brake pads help. Or is this a normal issue?

I got the timing belt changed as recommended.

Hi Varun,
Have you asked for your maruti 800. If yes, i dont know the exact price. I have given the price for Ambassador type seats.
Kindly visit their Website to know about the modifications they are doing for each cars.They have posted the images of the modifications.
www.Koyas.net

Nice to see another 800 Lover

The entire jack set would cost 600 rs. You can get it in any MGP outlet or visit JC road.
@varun560061 just 600 /- for jack set ??

man i thought it costs thousands [frustration]

and you said timing belt, how much does it cost to replace in Esteem any idea, mine is done 50k kms now

Last edited:

Top Bottom