My Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2001 - NOW SOLD

Thread Starter #1
Yesterday, we sold our old Santro Zipdrive 2001.

We were the 2nd Owner, and purchaced it in June 2006 for Rs. 195,000. It was in good condition, and with brand new tyres. It had 33xxx KM on the ODO.

We sold it for Rs. 100,000. It read 70xxx on the ODO.

The muffeler, brake linings, clutch lining was replaced at 60,000 KM service.

The main reason to sell it was, it was not used frequently. At most, it used to cover 100 KM per month, unlike our ANHC, which does upto 1500 KM per month. Also, there was a nagging problem with the alternator pulley. The pulley was a bit damaged ( it was running out of round ) resulting in faster wear of the belts, and noise.

What I liked in Santro:

1. Silent Engine
2. Smooth enough for City Driving
3. Respectable FE for a 2001 model car ( 16 in city, and 18 on the highway)

What I disliked:
1. Too less in-cabin space
2. Underpowered engine
3. Shabby steering response
4. Unstability at anything faster than 100 KMPH

Nice writeup kingpin.
I loved the Santro Zip Drive when it was launched back with Indica and Matiz as its rivals. Do post some pics of your ride.

Unstability at anything faster than 100 KMPH
I somehow found it much more stable than the previous gen WagonR at high speeds.

That seems to be very clean write up!!

Even I love the Zip Drive model which was launched before sunshine.

i recently had a chance to travell in santro (though it was taxi but well maintained)with 3 passengers me my frend and driver i felt it glided on road far matured than hyundai i10, which i happen to drive couple of weeks ago.
while in i10 , somehow i felt the it is nose heavy and bit more softer on ride giving a floating feel. with four people onboard and a powerfull engine in front i10 gave me being in a wave like feeling. but the peppier engine was difinitly inspirational.

i would say santro is a very good car from hyundai but for the interior space.

Last edited:
A crisp review , i think the car has served you well , but where are the pictures buddy?

I have travelled in a Santro and yeah its a good car for that price really! But for my height i found the car a bit cramped else no issues!

Now that I have sold the Siena and the Alto going too shortly, I need a car till I can pick up my new car (see my thread). I'm holding on to that purchase for a few months inorder to increase my budget for a really good car (German). There's a 2007 Santro Automatic done 24k kms for 2.3L. It's got front power windows and alloys. However I think it's clocked as the interiors look a bit worn. Also the tyres are appollo accelere. Why would anyone change the tyres after only 24K Kms. I've never driven a AT Santro but the pick up seems much lower than the MT. The rear hatch and front bumper seem to be re-painted. Just wanted to know if it's worth buying.

Now that I have sold the Siena and the Alto going too shortly, I need a car till I can pick up my new car (see my thread). I'm holding on to that purchase for a few months inorder to increase my budget for a really good car (German). There's a 2007 Santro Automatic done 24k kms for 2.3L. It's got front power windows and alloys. However I think it's clocked as the interiors look a bit worn. Also the tyres are appollo accelere. Why would anyone change the tyres after only 24K Kms. I've never driven a AT Santro but the pick up seems much lower than the MT. The rear hatch and front bumper seem to be re-painted. Just wanted to know if it's worth buying.
The price looks reasonable to me since the car is an Automatic one. The manual ones too have a selling price in range of 2.5-2.6lacs, so the above mentioned price looks good for an Auto version.

Thanks guys. I have read your article Vibhor and will re-check the car again. Otherwise I will look for a manual. I need to sell the Alto while the price is OK. I thought I'll keep it till I'll get my car but it's too uncomfortable. Even with the seat pushed right back my legs seem to foul with something or the other. Want to buy a real cheap car so I don't loose much when I sell. I think I should get decent Santro's in the 1L range. What do you think?

Top Bottom