My Garuda: VW Polo 1.2 TDi Ownership Review (90K Crossed)

bhvm

Honoured Member
washing engine bay in modern cars is not allowed. you may get water on sensors or ECU and cause huge problems. just use a damp cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #17
washing engine bay in modern cars is not allowed. you may get water on sensors or ECU and cause huge problems. just use a damp cloth.
That rule is for amatures!!! Not for a pro.

The cover can be pooped out, if u pull up

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member
Re: After driving car for 15k kms

Hi , dear TAIgers and all others, i am letting you know my impressions of 2012 my VW polo 1.2 tdi (made in Germany) which was bought as pre owned at 90k kms.
It is very much made in India, at least assembled here [;)]

Maintenance :
oil(4.5L , oil filter , fuel filter (every 30k), air filter(every 30K) , Gear oil (every 40K), Brake Fluid Every (30k)

The above mentioned is the only maintenance you need to do for VW TDI engines.

except Timing belt kit at every 90k or belt condition checked and kit replaced at 105k kms
tires and alignment and balancing every 5k .

As per VW, Air filter and fuel filter at every 15k km and timing belt 2L km.

deville_56

Honoured Member
This is what our manual says [;)]

DSC07487.JPG

DSC07486.JPG

Same manual agrees with your 30k intervals for the air filter [lol] and fuel filter, but the ASC has been recommending replacements every service, been following that, but this time did at a FNG and he recommended 30k for fuel filter, but air filter every 15k service. Normally I change air filter in all of our rides and drives in 10-15k intervals.

Re: After driving car for 15k kms

90 k km is for tsi engines.
For tdi engines its 210 k km. Fuel filter can be replaced at 30 k km if you are using good fuel like shell but for hp,ioc fuel filter will be full of dirt at 15 k km because of mixture. Air filter must be replaced at 15 k km as per indian conditions. Cleaning of air filter at 7.5 k km will improve air breating of engine.
90 k km drive belt replacement for vw engine is very less. People do 4-5 lakh k km without any extra maintaince on engine. So it is for petrol engine not for diesel.

Thread Starter #22
This is what our manual says [;)]

View attachment 214276

View attachment 214277

Same manual agrees with your 30k intervals for the air filter [lol] and fuel filter, but the ASC has been recommending replacements every service, been following that, but this time did at a FNG and he recommended 30k for fuel filter, but air filter every 15k service. Normally I change air filter in all of our rides and drives in 10-15k intervals.

please give me a answer for this,

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rtline-diesel-100k-crossed-58.html#post469340

In all VWSS , they do timing belt kit replacement on 90k kms, for Indian conditions and driving pattern, its also listed in their service schedule listen on a wall in service center where it clearly says for tdi engines , timing belt kit with water pump to be replaced every 90k kms. Actually water pump can extend , but will let you do in 1.5l kms, as you need to remove entire belt kit to replace it, its better done at every 90k.
I have also confirmed this in 3 other SC in Tamil nadu and also a famous private service center.

And tsi has timing chain not belt.

I have worked in Tsi engines for many times, even changed a crankshaft, trust me its chain.

And yes I agree in UK its 2l kms for belt, but in India we mostly run in 3rd and 4th , were the engine revs and car goes less distance , and external climate too, and due to many reasons VW play safe in 90k kms, but by checking the condition of belt and coolent level once in a while we can extend, and chains can slack and give you a notification in engine noise but belt is a risk , it can snap any time.

To be in a safe side we must replace as per VW reccomendations .

I have worked in Tsi engines for many times, even changed a crankshaft, trust me its chain.

And yes I agree in UK its 2l kms for belt, but in India we mostly run in 3rd and 4th , were the engine revs and car goes less distance , and external climate too, and due to many reasons VW play safe in 90k kms, but by checking the condition of belt and coolent level once in a while we can extend, and chains can slack and give you a notification in engine noise but belt is a risk , it can snap any time.

To be in a safe side we must replace as per VW reccomendations .
My asc never suggested me to do timing chain replacement at 90 k. May be they have fekt its too ealy to reolace timing chain in just two years so they didnt askes me.
I am planing to do it at 1.6 lakh km as 90% of driving is done in 5th gear. Car is now at 1.1 lakh km and 2.5 years.

@stringray91 It was such a great pleasure in reading all your posts about StringRay and VW polo. To be frank I was reading all the posts in your thread on StringRay in a single shot before switching to other threads.

The detail with which you posted the information on mods is simply awesome. You got yourself a fan [;)]. Was bit let down when you had to let go of your StringRay. Well, all for good. Will PM you one day. [:D]

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/members/stingray91-14241.html

Thread Starter #26
@stringray91 It was such a great pleasure in reading all your posts about StringRay and VW polo. To be frank I was reading all the posts in your thread on StringRay in a single shot before switching to other threads.

The detail with which you posted the information on mods is simply awesome. You got yourself a fan [;)]. Was bit let down when you had to let go of your StringRay. Well, all for good. Will PM you one day. [:D]

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/members/stingray91-14241.html
coming in with a new vehicle and more info. cheers

Thread Starter #27
Finally major service at 1.4L kms

Hi all, successfully crossed 1.4L odo. in my 2011 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDi

problem no 1:
A few days back the radiator fan run time was very long (25 mins) and I checked the coolant level , and the tank was empty, I topped up the coolant with distilled water from nearby fuel station and it took 2 liters of distilled water to fill to max level ,

and after some time of idling at my parking, i noticed drop in level of coolant again and I checked oil level for any increase ( if collect mix in engine oil ) , but it was good and had no water signs or any milky color, and then I noticed coolant etc leaking down from the engine guard under the car , i checked all the hoses and connections linked to cooling system, and I couldn't find any traces and i am sure it was under or back side of engine ,

possible suspects
1:EGR leak
2:Any hose leak back side of engine
3:water pump ( it needs to be replaced at 1.2L kms as per VW reccomendation )

problem No 2:
* grinding noise from front left side while Riding(tyre or bearing )

problem 3
* Tight clutch (obviously needs replacement )

Diagnosis:
1: water pump seal has given up (metal part)
2: wheel bearing is worn out
3: clutch pressure plate weathered hard ( needs lubrication or a new part) .

IMG_20180919_165043.jpg
Parts changed :

Timing belt kit with tensioner - continental(Germany)- 9500 INR (AADITHYA AUTO CBE)

water pump OEM - made in india - 2145 INR (DHANAM AUTOS CBE)

Clutch kit with release bearing - Valeo - 8560 INR (AADITHYA AUTO CBE)

Wheel bearing - FAG - 3000 INR x2 - (AADITHYA AUTO CBE)

All the works are done at Wheelspin Service center at Coimbatore, very satisfied with their service, very quality service and professional work, my labor was

For Clutch replacement - 3000
Timing kit - 2000
wheel bearing - 1500

other items :
coolant G-13- 1650
gear oil - 560

Total cost - 30,000 INR . ( VW Estimate - 65000 INR)

Re: My Garuda: VW Polo 1.2 TDi Ownership 1 lack kms Crossed)

Hi Fellow members and Friends , my previous car Maruthi suzuki WagonR Stingray was a beloved car of mine , bought it in Red wine color and maintained it in pristine condition like a soul mate, always wash in 3m or half day of Sundays for a perfect wash , maintained it well, Eg , insted of changing oil for every 10k kms, i used to take to my garage and change it myself on intermediate 5k kms , mods like HIDs, Led center Grill, Premium Carpeting , Many more

you can easily find my thread in google as it hits top of the result ,
just type "wagonr stingray ownership review"

well its now to the topic , i parked my stingy near my neighbors house , and few boys where playing cricket with Tennis ball, the green one. and when i was reaching to my car , a guy hit straight to my front driver door, and i knew the ball was already bounced once and i thought it wont make any dent or anything and might be a minor scratch, when i neared i found out the door was having a huge dent , like some one just kicked the door with a foot,

Well my reaction After that: took the dent out using suction type mobile holder and there was no marks of it, after next few minutes i took the car out and took 360* pics and just slammed the pics on olx [evil] and sold for 4l on next few days.
i hope i dont want to explain more why i sold the car.

My hunt started for next car , on my experience with a petrol car previously , which already had a Fuel efficient engine , my running costs where high , so i was preferring a diesel in a diploma.

In between i got my spare car from my friend who has a palio mjd with new swift engine,
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/20564-project-fiat-palio-mjd-1-3-giving-another-life.html
what a car it was, it was so much fun to drive and pickup was crazy fast and i could feel the raw torque and easy to drive on diesels mainly on city roads , also for 1000Rs of diesel i was socked to see the distance i covered was about 400 kms at ease , while my stingy will return 200 to 230 kms max .

from my previous experience i was sure that i am going to buy a car which is going to be cricket ball proof on all sides, how i test is i will go and lean on my back on the doors and feel does the door flexes inside or not , i felt it positive on all MS < 5l cars and datsun cars. and little bit on other cars in market , when it came to fiat and VW it was not the door it flexed it was my back flattened[lol].

so my search ended with punto mjd or polo tdi, i test drove all the cars and felt VW polo to be more suited for me , felt like home , and punto was bit sluggish on steeps and low rpms.

when i discussed it with my parents , we planed to go for a Pre owned insted of a new car , even i was in same thought like lets see how it works out and after few thousand kms of drive i can sell it and get a new one as per my taste, (like Tdi or GT tdi [evil])

The Hunt
I was in front if my phone starring at olx for more than two weeks lots of cars and lots of Test drives , all cars seems to have some problems like scratch , dent , less power , suspension noise , door noise etc , which where the signs of poor maintenance.

Finally on a fine day i saw this car , having no scratches and dents on it and as i already had many previous experience, i knew what to look at , it seems to pass all my tests and even though i was not convinced and when i took a test drive , i was sold, car was accelerating like a new car and there where no suspension noise or rough engine noise , also the turbo pickup was clean and neat , i silently came back to seller house and said i will consider this car and i will let him know whether i am interested or not on next day , i immediately got into palio and drove to my friends house and talked about the car and its condition and next day when we where to the seller house there was already another person ready to buy the car , luckily i informed seller that i will come at morning and make a final test drive with my friend and he was smiling while he was driving , i could feel what is running in his Petrol Head , i was silently sitting and when we reached back , the other buyer was waiting and i told the seller that , please let them go , we are wasting their time '' , then we finalized the car for 3.75l and took the car .

Took delivery did a pooja
View attachment 204545

Condition and Variant of the car :

• Engine : 1.2 Tdi , turbo direct injection , with Variable Geometry turbo and Intercooler
  • power : 75 ps
  • Variant : Trendline
  • year : 2012 November
  • Kms Run : 89,000 Kms
  • Tyre condition : two new Apollo tyres at front 165/70 R14 , Rear MRF 175 /60 R14 .

First Impression :

View attachment 204546
View attachment 204547
View attachment 204548

• car was Rock solid
  • Silent cabin even at 100 kmph
  • No steering Vibration on Roufgh roads
  • comfortable seating position
  • No Body roll at all
  • perfect car for me

Dislikes :
  • low ground Clearence
  • Single barrel headlamps are not that great
  • flimsy Ac vents

Performance :

Very first look at the engine bay i all i could say is attention to detail and quality of materials like connectors , wires , the way each component was designed ,every thing was meant to last for many years , i opened the turbo inlet hose from air box to check the fins status , fins where looking like new and there was no shake what so ever , vgt shaft was having adequate play and stiffness , on road performance was clean and neat , easily controllable and turbo pulls the heads back from 2k rpm to 3k rpm , especially on 3rd gear , zip's like a king on highways even on high opposite winds, engine sound while accelerating is more like a petrol car rather than a diesel car , which i used ti hear from mjds . car can easily reach 100 in ease within 4th gear in normal acceleration and on 3rd 120kmph on max revv. and clean sweep till 170+ easily and rises slowly up to 200kmph at max rpm. i some how forgot that its a diesel engine and it just revs up like a petrol car , even though the car has 3 cylinders , the balancing pulley besides the crankshaft does the job sweet .

Ride and Handling :
There is no road noise at all , i could feel the strength of the chassis at turns and sudden pot holes , that too from a maruthi to a car like this , still couldn't digest why resale value of VW are low than half the price petrol Maruthi, he cabin was well insulated and tyre and road noise is controlled well, you can hear your own breath yourself clearly , even the doors where well damped and this makes speakers sound well with a clear frequency response and sound quality with punchy bass .

The ride is stable and flat on high speeds and takes out all the bumps and pot holes on low speeds , as car is low you move slightly even at harsh roads , the steering had tilt and rack option at trend line itself, seat height adjust was not there though , the car always handles well at corners with great control and confidence inspiring .

why i liked polo even more
As a Auto Enthusiast and Diy Guru, i would always like quality and touch of perfection , few things below mesmerized me
  • All the electronics like door lock , horn , indicator , parking lamps , Ac contol , window control all where connected to BCM ( body control module ) where advantages where , you can swap the instrument cluster of latest varient if u want as it just communicates with bcm and gets all the information it supports to display , Even a auto headlamp and Climate control module can be swapped in ease no wiring or alterations needed, every thing has a communucation port so all is in control with BCM , the advantages are horn honk while locking and unlocking doors , off time for dome light after doors are shut , fog lamp turns on the side we turn the car , doors lock after certain speed , car automatically puts itself to external air mode when mode is kept to windscreen position , wiper swipes no. of times when the knob is pulled like dim dip style for no of times you do that fastly , etc
  • the doors where damped in a professtionl way , with plastic padding and well insulated from outer panel.
  • all the plastics are more than 4.5 years of age still looks new
  • Ac is Extra ordinary and bone chilling
  • windscreen washer spary is more like spray than a two lines of jet of water
  • easy to remove and fit any panels and the shape of panels wont change denoting the panels where removed earlier
  • seperate knob for lights
the list goes on ...

Mileage :
For an car of 4.5 years of life and 90k odo, i did not expect much on this department , still it returned 17.5 kmpl on city use and 20.3 on highway use, i strongly recommend all to do a tank full for better mileage.

Things to do:
  1. At 90k odo i need to change the timing belt kit and water pump , which would cost me 30k on oem service centers and 25k on a reputed private service canter
  2. seats where not having any covers and needed a wash and planning for a towel based cover for easy maintenence
  3. hid projector headlamps with 4300k 55w , uglare system
  4. light for boot
  5. fog lamps

over all i feel its a car just made for my taste. please rate and comment if u like the review, share your thoughts.

I am sorry to interrupt here, your TDI Polo Diesel must be a 4 cylinder, not a 3 cylinder as you've mentioned.

3 cylinders come only in 1.2 L Petrol (regular previous ones) and 1.0 L Petrol current engines in Polo.

Regards
Kumar

Re: My Garuda: VW Polo 1.2 TDi Ownership 1 lack kms Crossed)

I am sorry to interrupt here, your TDI Polo Diesel must be a 4 cylinder, not a 3 cylinder as you've mentioned.

3 cylinders come only in 1.2 L Petrol (regular previous ones) and 1.0 L Petrol current engines in Polo.

Regards
Kumar
Hello Sir ! The Polo Diesel launched initially indeed came with a 3 cylinder turbo diesel , which was later replaced by the 4 cylinder 1.5 TDI.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan

Top Bottom