My First Dream Hatchback (5-6 Lacs - OTR)

Best Hatchback

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I want to start this thread for valuable suggestion / opinions which will be pretty much helpful for me while zeroing upon for my First Dream Car (I am pretty sure there are many people currently weighing the option of buying a hatchback and are ending up confused....first time I realized that too many choices are not good either [confused] - at least for someone like me who don’t have much understanding about the secrets of the trade). As mentioned that this will be going to be my first car, planning to buy in 1-2 month time. I am not an adept driver however I have few driving lessons(courtesy to my friends). So planning to enroll myself in a driving school pretty soon.

My requirements are :

• Looking for a Hatchback ( Preferable Options : Ritz , New Wagon R, Beat & Figo )
• Mostly(almost) will be driven in the City only ( Home to Office and back to Home ). Around 15-20km daily usage
• Budget(Max.): 5-6 Lacs (on road)
• Clear visibility is required as I am not yet a skillful driver
• Must have Features: Power Steering , AC , Power Windows(at least front 2 windows) , Central Locking etc
• My height is 5’10”. Family Size = 2(as off now J)
• My wife(height - 5’3”) will also be using the car.
• Major Criteria: Fuel Efficiency , After Sales Service, Availability and Pricing of spare parts , Driving Pleasure and Comfort

My queries are:

• Which Hatchback will be the best suited to my requirements above ?
• How much driver seat height adjustment is usable ?
• Not sure of whether I need safety features like ABS, Air Bags , Immobiliser etc.
• Fuel Choice: Petrol or Diesel ?????

So request you all to pour down your valuable insights (as companies are pouring Indian market with hatchbacks) .

Regards,
Aks

Which Hatchback will be the best suited to my requirements above ?
I feel New WagonR (waiting period is not acceptable though) will be best suited for your needs, but if you have a ford dealer near your place you may consider going for a figo Petrol.

Not sure of whether I need safety features like ABS, Air Bags , Immobiliser etc.
You surely need them. IMO Safety should always comes first, evenif you have to compromise on looks or features.

Fuel Choice: Petrol or Diesel ?????
Since your daily commuting is not much you may go for a petrol car. If you plan to go on long trips on a regular basis then consider a diesel one.

Hi aks,

After looking your requirement and budget, I would suggest you to look either Figo or Ritz.

WagonR: Waiting period is a big concern.

Ritz: Suits all your needs. Safety and feature rich. Need not worry about A.S.S

Beat: Looks cool. Lacks the boot space.

Figo: Titanium is a best buy with all security features.

All you have to do is TD both Ritz and Figo and then decide(after driving practice). [cheers]

Why not i10??

My queries are:

• Which Hatchback will be the best suited to my requirements above ?
• How much driver seat height adjustment is usable ?
• Not sure of whether I need safety features like ABS, Air Bags , Immobiliser etc.
• Fuel Choice: Petrol or Diesel ?????

So request you all to pour down your valuable insights (as companies are pouring Indian market with hatchbacks) .

Regards,
Aks
1. My vote goes for Beat. Out of the above list, beat is best looking, excellent and cheap maintenance, futuristic features.
2. If the car is going to be used by you and your wife both, seat height adjustment feature will be very useful.
3. ABS is a must as per me.
4. For your run, only Petrol.

If its diesel, my vote will go for Figo.

Also as you mentioned, your budget is 5-6 L, I think you can have a look at Polo and Punto petrol version.
I know, its just adding to your confusion.:lol!:

I know, its just adding to your confusion.:lol!:
No thats a wise advice. I am not sure about VW aftersales services, but Punto does have good service backup and fulfills all the requirements mentioned by you.

Hey aks, welcome again to TAI.
My vote goes for the Ritz, which is capable and a good started.
The New Wagon R too is pretty decent and is extremely user-friendly.
Alternatively, you can look at the Swift ZXi or VDi and the i20 1.2 Magna or the Diesel Era.

The question about fuel depends upon your usage. If you can kindly disclose your monthly/yearly approx. mileage planned, we will be able to advice you about this.

EDIT: The Punto too is a viable option, an so is the Volkswagen Polo, as the others have mentioned.

@Arkin_Young- He has already mentioned his daily run.

Mostly(almost) will be driven in the City only ( Home to Office and back to Home ). Around 15-20km daily usage

@Arkin_Young- He has already mentioned his daily run.
Oh! :sorry: about that.
Aks, since your mileage will be 15-20km/day, there is no point in going for a diesel, and spend more money on the car and its maintenance. A petrol will be more economical.

350Z

Core Team
Aks_Hyd, I’m quite impressed by your post through which you have so clearly explained the requirements. Well, now that’s always the real big dilemma when it comes to choose a suitable hatchback in this flooded Indian Market. Also, because you are new to driving, Please focus more on the practicality and driving on whichever car you decide. My advice for you would be to take a look at the following cars:

Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R
The most suitable car under your budget with perfect after sales back up, Fuel Efficiency, ease of driving for learners, Top-end VXi is available with Airbags & ABS. The Ritz is more or less the grown up version of Wagon-R and looks smart too, as an alternative, that is a worth considering option as well.

Chevrolet Beat
Yet a most futuristic hatchback inside and out, also like you said, there are only a couple of family members, the space it offers should be enough.

Ford Figo
Just in case you are fed up of tall-boy designs, look no further than Figo. The looks and design are not its strength, in comparison to rivals and please assure that there’s a good after sales and service back up available by Ford in your area.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Aks, based on your requirement and usgae pattern, I will suggest you the Ritz, for the following reasons:

1. Your usage wil not justify a Diesel car. (However, there is nothing worng is going for Diesel)
  2. Ritz styling is spureb (dependes upon individual views) especially in some of the colors. It is the new version of Wagon R too.
  3. K-seriies engine offers you good milage per litter of petrol.
  4. You will get best in the class features in this car, including steering wheel controls, Alloy wheels, ABS & Airbags which is really valuable.
  5. No one can beat the maintainance cost and ease MSIL can offer. This is going to be the lowest maintainance cost for you, if you are going to use the car daily.
  6. Last but not the least, your wife will find it easy to handle Ritz (read petrol engine) with its power steering and comfortable & spacious design.
So all the best buddy [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #14
Sorry for the long reply

First things first: Thanks a lot for your replies and insights.[clap]

@ Akash

Wagon R waiting period is around 2-3 months here in Hyderabad. Maruti need to decrease this waiting period to somewhat acceptable level otherwise MIL is bound to lose the customers to its competitors.

That’s true safety comes first, looks later. Mostly it will be run in the city only so I think petrol make sense for me. My monthly usage will be about 1000 km so with this I did a small calculation to arrive at a break even of 7 years. With diesel is bound to get into deregulated regime, the price difference between Petrol & Diesel is bound to decrease further. So it will increase my break even period too. So I think for me Petrol make more sense.

@ Marun , RSM

True Wagon R waiting period is a big concern.

Figo petrol is one complete package and its pricing makes it complete value for money but one big issue with Figo 1.2 petrol engine is the FE. Owners are getting it in the tune of 10-11 Kmpl in city with AC. Now this is quite low. If its diesel mill then Figo wins hand down.

Ritz- With discounts being offered it is more lucrative buy now. Moreover I think we are fine with the rear odd ball design of Ritz and it comes from Maruti stable so no worry on A.S.S & pricing of spare parts. Complete piece of mind. Still when compared with Figo (barring FE & A.S.S) Figo wins in every department . Heard that Ford working seriously on building there A.S.S but still they are way behind Maruti. Still FE is a big concern with Figo petrol.

Beat – It is a complete car and without any doubt and most beautiful hatch in the country (from outside). From inside the beat it is unable to live up to the reputation it created by the looks. Claustrophobic rear, poor visibility, lack of boot space, more than necessary curves etc. makes it less probable choice to us.

i10 is great car but with the launch of Figo, Beat & New Wagon R with the aggressive pricing and great features suddenly i10 is looking expensive.

@ Mukeshus

Thanks for the link. Figo is a complete VFM package and going by the sales figure of the Ford for the month of June 2010 (a whopping 267% rise in the sales – major of this chunk is contributed by Figo) proves this. As far as Figo is concerned no complaints in looks, handling, features and price but the biggest concern for me with Figo is ever thirsty petrol engine. Mileage of 10-11 kmpl is too less.

True it seems I am also tilting towards Ritz from Figo (my infatuation with Figo seems to be over). I really wish Ford should have taken FE of Figo Petrol a little bit more seriously.

@ RSM , Akash

Polo: Again a pretty long waiting period. 3 months to be precise in Hyderabad. Unknown territory of VW A.S.S

Punto: A perfect blend of features, looks and power. Again FE is pretty low. If I can compromise with FE then I will go for my infatuation i.e. Figo Petrol ( even the color was decided White with Ebony Dashboard) but it seems destiny have some other plans for me.

@ Arkin Young

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I had already shared my views regarding Ritz & Blue Eyed Boy.

Regarding Swift ZXi – Too me it is the best hatchback till date but waiting period of 3 months cannot be justified (to me at least).

If I have to choose a Diesel Hatchback then its Figo 1.4 TDCi all the way.

i20 – Bowled completely by the looks but it’s a bit pricey and less FE engine. Also heard that i20 have some issues with the AC cooling factor.

@ 350Z

Thanks a lot for the compliments and coming all the way from you it is more valuable. Gathering requirements is part of my job so I know how much it hurts when it is not compiled properly.

Well said, Maruti New Blue eyed boy is a no nonsense hatchback and a complete City car. Great FE, Maruti ever reliable and proven A.S.S. but 2-3 months waiting period is justified? How the Wagon R 3 pot engine behaves on the highway? Anyone with first hand driving experience of New Wagon R on the highways?

Beat is a good car but have few glaring issues: Claustrophobic rear, poor visibility, lack of boot space, more than necessary curves, GM after sales service yet to make a mark, not very FE etc. makes it less probable choice to us.

We almost zeroed upon Figo even decided the color and all. Then came the damper rather say shocker: FE of 10 -11 kmpl in City? Ford must be kidding ….I crosschecked with my friends and to my horror I found it to be true. I consoled myself that might be after first service and clicking some more km in the ODO the FE might improve. My friend whose Figo ODO reads 3000 km the FE is still in the range of 10 -11 kmpl. Ford A.S.S still not in a comfort zone.

What about Ritz? Your comments on the Ritz please?

@ Mod

Do we get extra points for using less smileys ? If not then my quota of smiley [cheers]

Regards,
Aks

Thread Starter #15
Hi Aks, based on your requirement and usgae pattern, I will suggest you the Ritz, for the following reasons:

1. Your usage wil not justify a Diesel car. (However, there is nothing worng is going for Diesel)
  2. Ritz styling is spureb (dependes upon individual views) especially in some of the colors. It is the new version of Wagon R too.
  3. K-seriies engine offers you good milage per litter of petrol.
  4. You will get best in the class features in this car, including steering wheel controls, Alloy wheels, ABS & Airbags which is really valuable.
  5. No one can beat the maintainance cost and ease MSIL can offer. This is going to be the lowest maintainance cost for you, if you are going to use the car daily.
  6. Last but not the least, your wife will find it easy to handle Ritz (read petrol engine) with its power steering and comfortable & spacious design.
So all the best buddy [thumbsup]
Hi Shynish M,

Thanks for your insights.

Completely agree with you for all the points. Even we are getting inclined towards the Ritz. Did you get a chance to test drive New Wagon R ? Does Rtiz rattles a lot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom