My First Dream Hatchback (5-6 Lacs - OTR)

Best Hatchback

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My queries are:

• Which Hatchback will be the best suited to my requirements above ?
with your requirements, Ritz seems the most appropriate followed by i10.

• How much driver seat height adjustment is usable ?
tall boys dont really need that, they offer good view.

• Not sure of whether I need safety features like ABS, Air Bags , Immobiliser etc.
but i am sure you need them! dont compromise on your's & your family's safety.

• Fuel Choice: Petrol or Diesel ?????
since your daily running is less, it should be petrol.

Thread Starter #18
with your requirements, Ritz seems the most appropriate followed by i10.

tall boys dont really need that, they offer good view.

but i am sure you need them! dont compromise on your's & your family's safety.

since your daily running is less, it should be petrol.
Hi Raj,

Thanks for your replies. Agree with you completely.

Hey Aks! According to the requirements you have mentioned, I think you should either go for a Ritz or a Figo (both petrol). Your daily running is less, so you don't really need a diesel. As far as safety features are concerned, the top-end variants of both these cars retail under Rs.6 lakh on-road, so I think you can easily stretch your budget a bit. If fuel-efficiency is what you're looking for ultimately, then the Ritz it is. It has the best petrol engine amongst all current Indian hatches and fuel efficiency is terrific. As of now, you may even be able to pinch the dealer for some discounts! However, the Figo isn't far away either. It has a decent petrol engine (not as good as the Ritz) and fuel efficiency is low (again compared to the Ritz). Still, it is quite spacious, will be fun and easy to drive (you can see out of the driver's seat clearly-ask me-I am 5'3 and I could see ahead clearly, no issues there.) and the build quality is also far far better. And I think you could save some money if you buy the Figo (the fully-loaded top-end is cheaper compared to the Ritz ZXI). Also, Ford have worked really hard to bring down the cost of ownership so it won't burn a hole in your pocket either.

The final take is yours!

Hi Shynish M,

Thanks for your insights.

Completely agree with you for all the points. Even we are getting inclined towards the Ritz. Did you get a chance to test drive New Wagon R ? Does Rtiz rattles a lot ?
You are welcome buddy. Since I am out of India currently, I never got a chance to drive the New Wagon R. However, I had a chance to test drive (not on the road, as I don't have a licence for Denmark) Ritz (here it is known as Splash). I would say it is a superb car in its class. Much better than Wagon R. The only controversial part is the rear design. Some people really hate that design. But it is really subjective and to be honest, I find it really nice and attractive.

To address you query, I never experienced any rattles in Ritz. As more than 60% of Suzuki's golbal production is done in India, you can be assured that we are getting the same quality of build in India too. So no worries on that part. You are allready aware of the comfort and the peace of mind if the car is from MSIL stable. But the best part of Ritz is not that. On-road price for Ritz Zxi @ Hydrabad should come approx to:

Ex-Showroom Rs.5,00,724
RTO Rs. 50,065
Insurance Rs. 18,538
On Road Price Rs. 5,69,327 (with out considering dealer offers)

and just look at the features in Ritz ZXi:

1. 85 PS, peppy engine
  2. Very FE petrol engine offering 17 KM/PL
  3. ABS + EBD
  4. Dual Air Bags
  5. iCATS (Immobolizer)
  6. Fornt and Rear fog lamps (you save money here)
  7. OEM CD/FM Radio with speakers (saves money here too)
  8. Alloy Wheels
  9. Tilt Steering (will come handy for both you and your wife)
  10. All four door power windows
  11. Steering mounted audio controls
  12. 60:40 rear split seat
  13. Rear wiper + washer (good to have)
  14. Height adjustable driver seat (your wife will enjoy this)
Combined with MSIL goodwill and low maintainance cost, there is no logical reason to think twice. No other car makes it such a VFM deal.

Last edited:
Aks, if you want safety features, the Ritz ZXi is out of your budget.
If you are really keen on safety, look at the WagonR VXi ABS and the A-Star ZXi.
However if you want maximum space, the A-Star is a no-brainer, and the WagonR score better than the A-Star when it comes to actual safety.

If you aren't too particular about safety features, the Ritz VXi ABS is your best bet.
It costs 4.6 lakh ex-showroom, so you might have to rope in Rs20000 extra for the ABS.

IMO I feel Rear Wash Wipe won't really be necessary in Hyderabad.

But, Aks has a max budget of 6 Lakhs. Ritz ZXi should come well under 6 lakhs (some where around 5.5 to 5.6 lakhs), I presume.
Oh yeah, I forgot. I think I'm suffering from amnesia.[frustration]
Hey Aks, you seen to have a sort of Lavish budget for a 1st car then, why not look at the DZire, which costs Rs5.3lakh Ex-Hyd, and the Hyundai Accent which will be slightly cheaper.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Hey Aks! According to the requirements you have mentioned, I think you should either go for a Ritz or a Figo (both petrol). Your daily running is less, so you don't really need a diesel. As far as safety features are concerned, the top-end variants of both these cars retail under Rs.6 lakh on-road, so I think you can easily stretch your budget a bit. If fuel-efficiency is what you're looking for ultimately, then the Ritz it is. It has the best petrol engine amongst all current Indian hatches and fuel efficiency is terrific. As of now, you may even be able to pinch the dealer for some discounts! However, the Figo isn't far away either. It has a decent petrol engine (not as good as the Ritz) and fuel efficiency is low (again compared to the Ritz). Still, it is quite spacious, will be fun and easy to drive (you can see out of the driver's seat clearly-ask me-I am 5'3 and I could see ahead clearly, no issues there.) and the build quality is also far far better. And I think you could save some money if you buy the Figo (the fully-loaded top-end is cheaper compared to the Ritz ZXI). Also, Ford have worked really hard to bring down the cost of ownership so it won't burn a hole in your pocket either.

The final take is yours!
Hi Amaan1994,

True, choice of fuel is Petrol for sure now. I was in dilemma because of the superb Figo 1.4 TDCi but considering my run petrol make more sense and the same is approved now with suggestions from the various TAI members.

Did you own a Figo ? Petrol or Diesel ? We loved Figo for its styling , handling , features and aggressive pricing. Yes Ford is working overtime to bring down the cost of ownership. However sore point is ever thirsty petrol engine. Many owners have reported the FE in the tune of 10-11 kmpl in city with AC. I think its a bit low for my liking for car powered by 70 horses. Apart from the FE front no complaints with Figo Petrol.

With discounts around the corner it is making Ritz a more lucrative buy.[clap]

Hi Amaan1994,

True, choice of fuel is Petrol for sure now. I was in dilemma because of the superb Figo 1.4 TDCi but considering my run petrol make more sense and the same is approved now with suggestions from the various TAI members.

Did you own a Figo ? Petrol or Diesel ? We loved Figo for its styling , handling , features and aggressive pricing. Yes Ford is working overtime to bring down the cost of ownership. However sore point is ever thirsty petrol engine. Many owners have reported the FE in the tune of 10-11 kmpl in city with AC. I think its a bit low for my liking for car powered by 70 horses. Apart from the FE front no complaints with Figo Petrol.

With discounts around the corner it is making Ritz a more lucrative buy.[clap]
^^Aaman doesn't even drive yet!![;)] So he obviously doesn't own a Figo.
Yes, the Ritz is lucrative, but what do you say about my previous post.

Thread Starter #26
You are welcome buddy. Since I am out of India currently, I never got a chance to drive the New Wagon R. However, I had a chance to test drive (not on the road, as I don't have a licence for Denmark) Ritz (here it is known as Splash). I would say it is a superb car in its class. Much better than Wagon R. The only controversial part is the rear design. Some people really hate that design. But it is really subjective and to be honest, I find it really nice and attractive.

To address you query, I never experienced any rattles in Ritz. As more than 60% of Suzuki's golbal production is done in India, you can be assured that we are getting the same quality of build in India too. So no worries on that part. You are allready aware of the comfort and the peace of mind if the car is from MSIL stable. But the best part of Ritz is not that. On-road price for Ritz Zxi @ Hydrabad should come approx to:

Ex-Showroom Rs.5,00,724
RTO Rs. 50,065
Insurance Rs. 18,538
On Road Price Rs. 5,69,327 (with out considering dealer offers)

and just look at the features in Ritz ZXi:

1. 85 PS, peppy engine
  2. Very FE petrol engine offering 17 KM/PL
  3. ABS + EBD
  4. Dual Air Bags
  5. iCATS (Immobolizer)
  6. Fornt and Rear fog lamps (you save money here)
  7. OEM CD/FM Radio with speakers (saves money here too)
  8. Alloy Wheels
  9. Tilt Steering (will come handy for both you and your wife)
  10. All four door power windows
  11. Steering mounted audio controls
  12. 60:40 rear split seat
  13. Rear wiper + washer (good to have)
  14. Height adjustable driver seat (your wife will enjoy this)
Combined with MSIL goodwill and low maintainance cost, there is no logical reason to think twice. No other car makes it such a VFM deal.
Hi Shynish,

Thanks for the detailed comparison. Sorry I didn’t noticed your current location. We are now ok with the shape of Ritz. Infact I was always ok with the looks of the Ritz. It was my wifey who didn’t have much praise for the rear looks of the Ritz. Finally managed to coax her on this front at least. It takes some courage to do so. Looks are really subjective!!!

The OTR prices for the various Ritz models in Hyd are:

Ritz VXi – 511868
Ritz VXi with ABS – 541682
Ritz Zxi – 585684

I started my budget with 5 lacs (OTR) however I stretched it later to 6 lacs (OTR) to accommodate the diesel engines (especially Ford Figo).
With few discounts in the tune of 20k being offered for Ritz I think Ritz VXi makes sense to me. But now the dilemma increases if I shell out 74k more then I will get below features as well:

• Dual Airbags
• Front ELR seatbelt with pretensioner
• ABS + EBD
• Body coloured door mirrors & handles
• Alloy wheels
• Rear window defogger
• Rear wiper & washer
• Tilt Steering
• Steering mounted controls
• Keyless Entry
• Radio CD with speakers
• Parcel Tray
• Seat height adjuster
• Cigar Lighter

I need to balance my requirements and budget. Between Ritz VXi with ABS & Ritz ZXi I think its Ritz ZXi is a complete winner as I will get above features if I shell out 44k more. So comparison boils down between Ritz VXi & Ritz ZXi if I have to choose Ritz. Thankfully I managed to eliminate one option…………….

350Z

Core Team
This thread has really moved ahead in a very short while. Good to see that you’re contemplating for Ritz. It is a nice and smartest looking hatchback. Now to sweeten this topic, let me add that according Autocar’s recent spare parts price survey, Ritz petrol has cheapest spares among all other premium hatchbacks in segment. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #29
Aks, if you want safety features, the Ritz ZXi is out of your budget.

I think you mean VXi as ZXi comes fully loaded with ABS,EBD & Airbags.

If you are really keen on safety, look at the WagonR VXi ABS and the A-Star ZXi.
However if you want maximum space, the A-Star is a no-brainer, and the WagonR score better than the A-Star when it comes to actual safety.

I dont think i have any taste buds for A* so it was never a contender.

If you aren't too particular about safety features, the Ritz VXi ABS is your best bet.
It costs 4.6 lakh ex-showroom, so you might have to rope in Rs20000 extra for the ABS.

I think upon comparision between Ritz VXi ABS Vs Ritz ZXi for 44k i will get host of features like Dual Airbags , Tilt Steering , Alloy wheels , Steering mounted controls, Seat height adjuster, Rear window defogger, wiper & washer, keyless entry to name a few.

IMO I feel Rear Wash Wipe won't really be necessary in Hyderabad.
I also think rear wash and wiper is good to have features rather than must have features.Real wiper comes handy in case of it is raining pretty hard & in chilling winter.
-----------Next Post-----------
Oh yeah, I forgot. I think I'm suffering from amnesia.[frustration]
Hey Aks, you seen to have a sort of Lavish budget for a 1st car then, why not look at the DZire, which costs Rs5.3lakh Ex-Hyd, and the Hyundai Accent which will be slightly cheaper.
Hi Arkin_Young,

I just stretched my budget to accommodate the Figo Diesel. Now it is almost decided that choice of fuel being petrol i wish i can save few bucks. Dzire we already have at my Dad place and i am pretty rigid for one requirement and that is "I am only looking for a hatchback". Thanks for suggestion but Arkin considering the lunatic traffic in Hyderabad & i being a new driver at the block i am bound to go for a hatchback only.
-----------Next Post-----------
This thread has really moved ahead in a very short while. Good to see that you’re contemplating for Ritz. It is a nice and smartest looking hatchback. Now to sweeten this topic, let me add that according Autocar’s recent spare parts price survey, Ritz petrol has cheapest spares among all other premium hatchbacks in segment. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z
Oh that is called a piece of information. No wonder 350 Z you deserve that "Elite" tag completely. True ..they say beauty lies in the eyes of beholder and to my eyes it looks good.

Can we have a link for that detailed survey ? Who were the competitors for the Ritz Petrol ? Does this survey include Swift , Figo , Beat , i20/i10 as well ?

It seems all the ways are leading to Ritz Petrol.

Last edited:
No Aks, I don't own the Figo. However, we're in the same position as you are, and the car we're almost sure about is the Figo petrol. However, let me also add to 350Z's statement. The Maruti Ritz has the cheapest spares in its segment. It's spare price basket amounts to a total of Rs.37,488. But you wanna know who's next? The Ford Figo! It has the second least expensive spares basket, at Rs.41,088. Now honestly, I don't think that's a big difference. At least not a decisive factor. The only compromise you'd have to make will be on the fuel-economy front, that too by a meagre 3-4 kms per litre. And let me also tell you that the Ritz will be nowhere near as fun to drive as the Figo. And seriously, I think isn't it better to stand out from the usual crop of people with a unique car of your own? Think about it. [;)]

OT-I am going to start a new thread about the list of spare part prices mentioned in this month's Autocar India very soon, as I think it can be helpful for many people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom