My First Car: Maruti 800 AC 93 Model

The head lamps turn on with out key also. May this is due to the wiring kit and relay which makes the power to flow continuously.

Better get a new set of wiring, you can look SS80's thread he has changed the entire car's wiring.

Whole wiring kit costs 2585/- here in Bangalore. Fitiing it inside cabin is child's play, but engine bay wiring you have to be very careful. I was about to spoil my ignition coil due to terminal mismatch. However once done, most of your issues due to faulty/cut wires will be solved.

Wiring a MPFi is one hell of a job (may be even for an auto electrician), but carbs are pretty easy trust me. In my car before I installed the new wiring the highbeam bulb in speedometer console wont work, after I replaced everything I found my stalks too had enough "JUGAAD" done. Replaced that too, now horns too work.

Minda wiring should last 7 - 10yrs easily. That is what I feel after I saw the quality of it.

Thread Starter #78
Will change my wirings soon. Not all wires are messed up but the wires which are under the hood (easily accessible by mechanics) Is totally messed up. I think the previous owner took this car to different mechanics for electrical related problems.
During the restoration process I found many useless wires and double wiring for many points. I have removed all of them but only few are left.

BTW I would like to see your speedometer, how have you illuminated it . . please post any pics.

Thread Starter #79
Got the Carb Cleaned. Now can feel the difference, Good pickup and fuel economy.
Also changed the Distributor CB Points and condensor.

Photo0442.jpg
Carb removed

Photo0443.jpg
Photo0444.jpg

Photo0446.jpg
Photo0448.jpg
Being cleaned using petrol

Photo0449.jpg
Photo0450.jpg
Photo0451.jpg
Finally cleaned and being assembled.

Total cost of carb service :
Service charge 200/-
Packing Kit 100/-
Float 200/-

Lucas TVS CB Points and condensor 300/-

Thread Starter #80
While the carb was being serviced, I was removing the fuse box from an Indica which is standing at the garrage from the last two years. An other Indica owner came with shorted wires and blown fusebox.
Suddenly I saw this under the driver seat. [:)]
Photo0453.jpg
Photo0454.jpg
Took it out and checked it with a battery and speakers. It was working fine [:D]
My friend (the garage owner) wanted to exchange it with my custom made music player
I exchanged it with my amplifier.

Finally I installed it in my car after a good cleaning using thinner.
Photo0456.jpg
Photo0457.jpg

The sound is much better than my player but the only problem is that it has no USB option.

While the carb was being serviced, I was removing the fuse box from an Indica which is standing at the garrage from the last two years. An other Indica owner came with shorted wires and blown fusebox.
Suddenly I saw this under the driver seat. [:)]
View attachment 58863
View attachment 58864
Took it out and checked it with a battery and speakers. It was working fine [:D]
My friend (the garage owner) wanted to exchange it with my custom made music player
I exchanged it with my amplifier.

Finally I installed it in my car after a good cleaning using thinner.
View attachment 58865
View attachment 58866

The sound is much better than my player but the only problem is that it has no USB option.
Shantanu you can buy an usb transmiter and attach to this player.[:)]

The Speedometer illumination was a DIY Varun did for me. I will certainly post clear pictures hear. Suggestion use 3LED's (LED STRIP ONLY) instead of 6 or nine for the speedometer

Thread Starter #85
After I got my carb serviced I am getting better pickup and performance. But I have a query. The mechanic removed this part. carb.JPG saying that it is used for AC and has no affect on normal running of car. I can't feel any difference as presently my AC is not working. He also gave me this part so in future when I get the AC repaired I can get it installed. I was not in a mood to quarrel with him as he did the work well and I am experiencing good pickup and FE. Can anyone tell me the use of this part. And my query what carb has to do with AC?? Maruti800 owners please help.

Thread Starter #86
Today Cleaned the Headlights and upgraded to Osram 100/80 bulbs.
A customer in the garage (owner of M800) wanted to downgrade his 100/80 bulbs to 60/55 due to battery draining problem. I insisted him for alternator upgrade but he was not interested. I asked him if he wants to exchange the bulbs with me. He agreed to
that. I hurriedly came back home and pulled out the bulbs and relay from my car and went back to the garage. Installed the bulbs and relay in his car and came back with his bulbs.
First of all I took out both the headlights and cleaned them properly using a soft cloth and then with water. After drying the water cleaned the whole HL assembly with thinner.
The outcome was perfect. [:D]

Photo0533.jpg
Photo0534.jpg
Photo0540.jpg
The dirty HL assembly

Photo0545.jpg
Photo0546.jpg
Photo0548.jpg
The cleaned ones

Photo0559.jpg

The new relay is HELLA 400W relay and I already had a 100/90 wiring harness installed.
I'll take pictures in the night and post them soon.

Also installed the horn in the front.(Earlier one was installed near the wiper motor). Now there is less sound in the cabin [:)]
Photo0555.jpg

Last edited:
Wow looks clean.. But you have mentioned that I have swapped the relay and wiring kit, but again you have put 100 watts bulbs.

Do we get 100/80 bulbs ?

Thread Starter #88
Thanks Varun,
Yes they are 100/80W Osram Bulbs. Forgot to note down the model no. Will do it soon. I know I may now face the battery discharge issue, but lets see what happens. As I rarely drive at night. I'll check the battery after few night drives and tell the result soon.

Thread Starter #90
Hi Hemanth,
Sorry for the late reply. The total cost for tinkering was Rs 4500/-
Tinkering was done on the
1. floor(metal sheet fixed in the left passenger area, a little bit in the rear passenger area)
2. wheel well (rear portion had few holes, area near the fuel filling neck was totally rusted)
3. front left A pillar (was wrecked and was fixed using only body filler earlier)
4. rear portion (the area where bumper is fixed was repaired again)

The painting material including white paint, clear, body filler and some more material was bought for Rs 9700/-
Labour charge for painting was Rs 3500/-

Top Bottom