My First Car: Maruti 800 AC 93 Model

Thread Starter #361
Overkill with looks, power,energy draw, size, you name it.
[cry] [confused]

Even if it is rewinded how much power is the alternator making.At idle you are killing your battery.I hope you switch off the lights at idle.
Yes At idle, I switch off the headlights and use the low beam(55W) of the aux. light. The headlights are 100/80W and these are 55/60W.

Btw, the body of the new fog lamps looks like it is made of plastic.If you use 100w bulbs it will cause the housing to melt.
Yes the light body is made up of plastic and the lens is glass. I am using 55/60W H4 bulbs. The same brand reflector is tried and tested well on a pulsar 150 with 55/60W H4s. Later 100/90W H4 was also used on the bike but it was weak at lower RPMs and it made the reflector dull. Later the reflector was changed with amby's reflectors.

If you used three pairs of 55w lights together with the 100/90w bulbs how often did you have to take out the battery and recharge it?
I check my car thoroughly at the end of every month. At that time I surely charge the battery if voltage is below 12.50v. Thus, I didn't face any problems with all these lights.

The major cause of this upgrade is due to following reasons.
1. Few roads where I travel is not in proper level(the opposite lane is higher than ours.)
2. I wear spects and sometimes the oncoming traffic blinds me.
3. There are few roads with lots of pot-holes.

Last edited:
I can see you are charging the battery in one of the pictures.

With the 60/55w bulbs you wont have any problems.Don't go for 100/90 ones because it can melt the casing, but then again since there is big hole in the back that should provide better cooling.

As long as the setup is functional and you don't care about the battery life its all good.Just try not to blind the oncoming traffic.

Thread Starter #363
I can see you are charging the battery in one of the pictures.

With the 60/55w bulbs you wont have any problems.Don't go for 100/90 ones because it can melt the casing, but then again since there is big hole in the back that should provide better cooling.
The big hole in the back is closed using a piece of tube. But there is space (from where the wires are coming out)

As long as the setup is functional and you don't care about the battery life its all good.
The 55/60W bulbs saves the battery as on properly illuminated roads I switch off the headlights and the aux. lamps serves the purpose well.
A customer at our garage had 100/90W headlamps and a pair of 100W fogs on his type 2 Maruti 800. The same amco battery was installed. He never complained about battery drainage and he made frequent night trips.

Just try not to blind the oncoming traffic.
Both these lights are focused properly not to blind the oncoming traffic

I have an original stock 40amp alternator and a 35ah battery and have done the rewinding.The battery still drains if I use all the lights and stereo.Since you say if the voltage drops to below 12.5 you recharge it.The voltage should not get that low if it does regularly it means your draw is more than the alternator can supply.

I am in search for a higher power alternator that will fit without any mods, if I come across one will let you know otherwise the only other option is to get a swift alternator and install it with some mods like Varun did.

I find the WagonR's alternator to be smaller in size than our 800's & also I guess it has a capacity of 50amps approx. So it should Ideally fit in 800.

Why not get old Zen's or 800 5 speed's alty its a direct fit. It is 50 amps.

A friend is using in his 800, I will try to upload the pic..

Thread Starter #370
I find the WagonR's alternator to be smaller in size than our 800's & also I guess it has a capacity of 50amps approx. So it should Ideally fit in 800.
Yes the wagon-R's alty is a bit smaller. And it generates 60 Amps. The price is Rs 5500/-

Is the mounting method the same as in the 800?
The mounting is a bit different. Some spacers will be needed to fix Wagon R alternator in M800

I dint notice that [surprise] but it is definately smaller than M800's & pulley needs to be changed
What if we use a smaller diameter pulley with a small size v-belt. If we use a small pulley, the pulley will rotate fast in lower RPMs and maintain proper voltage. Nothing will happen to the alternator in higher RPMs as the permissible speed limit of this alternator is 18000 RPM
BTW a small pulley system can be experimented with the ACs [;)]

Why not get old Zen's or 800 5 speed's alty its a direct fit. It is 50 amps.
This is the best option IMHO

Thread Starter #371
Yesterday, While driving at night suddenly the indicators stopped working. Some how I managed with hand signaling and sometimes working indicators. So today, I opened up the steering column and took out the light mechanism. The non working indicators were due to carbon deposit on the contact points.

The mechanism
Photo0092.jpg
Photo0093.jpg

The dirty contact points
Photo0099.jpg
Photo0102.jpg

Points after cleaning
Photo0107.jpg

The flasher switch. It was broken earlier, so fixed a screw to switch it on/off
Photo0106.jpg

hi.shantanu bhai. great to see the DIY by you and varun bhai. i too own a maruti 800 type 1 1990 model as we have bought it just 7 months ago.i want to fit led lights in cabin and also extra light to speedometer. can you please help me as i have no idea of my car electrical. everytime i start doing diy on electrical parts fails in doing anything [frustration]. so kindly help me. also great to see such highly maintain 800 of varun bro and ss80 and yours too...thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #375
hi.shantanu bhai. great to see the DIY by you and varun bhai. i too own a maruti 800 type 1 1990 model as we have bought it just 7 months ago.i want to fit led lights in cabin and also extra light to speedometer. can you please help me as i have no idea of my car electrical. everytime i start doing diy on electrical parts fails in doing anything [frustration]. so kindly help me. also great to see such highly maintain 800 of varun bro and ss80 and yours too...thanks
Welcome to TAI Vaibhav Bhai. I am delighted to read that you want some DIYs to be done. After the closure of my friend's garage my hands are itching to do something new. [;)]. Call me anytime on 9455380550. 24*7 service/DIY assistance.
Start a new thread with lots of pics and details.

Last edited:

Top Bottom