My First Car – Maruti Suzuki Baleno 1.6 (2000)

Thread Starter #1
Dear all, i would like to share with you all, my experience of buying " My first car"

well, after getting married the biker within you generally takes a big Slumber sleep. in my cases he is still sleeping.

after being a proud owner of 2 royal enfields, a yezdi, a tvs star city. a 26 year old vespa 150vbb and a Limited edition pulsar 220 ( Sport orange). i feel a bit weird today. as to where has the biker within me gone??

i guess. the classy corporate job, a wife. some responsibilities. do tone you down. The needle now stands still in green line. when at a time it use to keep sliding only between the redline rpm marks.

weekend rides within smoky mountains, snake like ghats and straight lonely highways are replaced by visits to reliance fresh, big bazaar, the grocery store and in law's house.[frustration]

Anyways. so i finally decided to buy my first car.

First constraint Budget.!!!

EMI's were already flowing and flying. EVERYWHERE!!! max i could afford was an emi of 4000rs & the limit for a down payment was around 30-35k.

The options finally left was a TATA NANO. with a downpayment of 28k and monthly emi of around 5k.

me and my wife. were ok with the decision but somehow the petrol devil in me was constantly poking me hard.

devil: " is this all that you want to drive???? a NANO?????!!!!"

me : so what??? the nano is a good car!! decent legroom, looks cute and is fuel efficient

devil: you know that you will never be happy with that 36 or something odd bhp

me: its ok. i dont want to race or drift. i am not in fast and furious

devil : but you would love to do it right. just imagine zooming off from a signal touching 160kmph on the expressway. imagine imagine. feel it. Like you use to do and feel. when you worked with BMW in mumbai. remember.

me : (sigh). i wish.

devil : hmm. see i know you so well. i'll tell you secret. why don't you buy a bigger, faster and coller (but a little older) used car

me. thinking a smile. a big smile. YESS!!

and thats how i decided. that lemme hunt for one.

so the hunt started "olx.in" "carwale" etc etc.

BUT the prices which people quoted here were unrealistic!!!

So i started visiting used car dealers around my home and on the way to my office..

finally one evening. i just stopped at one dealer ( JEJI SINGH - Pune wanorie). to see what he had.

INFACT I HAD GONE THERE WITH MY FRIEND "TRAPEZIO" ( MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE) TO BUY A SMALL USED CAR FOR HIM!!!. ( HE FINALLY BOUGHT A BRAND NEW HYUNDAI EON)

i saw this baleno. quite scartched though and checked the car out

the interiors were pretty decent. the engine was super crispy. took her out for a test ride. loved the response and suspension, an excellent music system was already present( a sony Xplod with 4 speakers) so with a big smile i came back and gave a thumps up to jeji.

he said 1 lakh will be final!!! not a paisa less.

finally i bought the car for 85k!!!!

My wife loved the car, the moment we went for a drive.

drove the car still driving it and i fall in love with it more and deeper every time i drive her.

named my car : Bu jin ( in japanese for - a warrior's spirit )[gun]

got the following work done:

• engine oil change (total quartz)
  • Air filter change (suzuki)
  • Oil filter change (SGP)
  • new lower arms ( imported from thailand)
  • steering rod (MGP)
  • ball joints (MGP)
  • got my brake discs repolished
  • Brake pads scrubbed and de carboned
  • clutch setting done

total cost 7800 rs

Bujin is now ready. smooth as silk, seamless power delivery, crisp performance. a delight to drive [drive]

i realise now. that instead of going in for a compromised new car. if one does enough r&d, search, use contacts, one can get a brilliant deal in form of a used car.

obviously. the headaches in a new car are lesser but a careful used car purchase is surely worth it.

now i have a 94 bhp, 1600cc iconic, luxurious performance sedan in just 93,000 rs thats lesser than the new pulsar 200!!! shocking right???

Find attached the pics of my "Bujin"

Future jobs i am planning to do:

a complete body refurbish + same colour paint job + wheel rim black matte paint - cost 17000/-
under body sport green neon light effect - cost 2500/-
Sport exhausts - cost 4.5 to 6 k /-
Total cost - additional 25 k

i.e. i'll be having a sexy sorts sedan. again at around a complete investment of rs 1.20 lakhs. still yippie!!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Ikram on your selection.Is that Lxi? Please share the mileage. I was also the same position some months before and i Bought 2006 Esteem Lxi on show room condition with 5 new tires at 185k

Ad!tya

Suspended
Congrats on 'Bu jin'! :biggrin:
Very interesting writeup.

The condition is neither great nor bad, but what you got for 1.2L is completely VFM. Any upgrades planned?

OT : BTW you have nice biceps![;)]

Congrat's Ikram, wonderfully written i completely enjoyed reading can you please tell me the make and mileage of the car, a well maintained Baleno costs close to 2L in Bangalore look's like you got a very good deal on this car.

Congratulations on your new acquisition Ikram.[clap]

That's a nice buy as the car looks good from outside and inside.

What's the mileage on the car as of now?

Good One Ikram, you have a way with words

Beleieve me, we all married men feel / felt the same emotions after getting married. So dont worry and you are not singled out :-)

Jus Kiddin Buddy,,, Marriage is awesome and the biggest change it brings to us Boys is The Sense of Responsibility

Njoy ur drive with RESPONSIBILITY :-)

Thread Starter #9
Congrats on 'Bu jin'! :biggrin:
Very interesting writeup.

The condition is neither great nor bad, but what you got for 1.2L is completely VFM. Any upgrades planned?

OT : BTW you have nice biceps![;)]
i have got it for 85k. With all the upgrades shw will cost me 1.25 lakhs.
I have mentioned about the visual upgrades i am planning. :)

Thread Starter #10
Congratulations Ikram on your selection.Is that Lxi? Please share the mileage. I was also the same position some months before and i Bought 2006 Esteem Lxi on show room condition with 5 new tires at 185k
the esteem is a great car. Infact the Baleno and the esteem are very similar being the "Cultus" series.

the mileage i am getting from bujin in pune city is around 13.

Thread Starter #11
Congrat's Ikram, wonderfully written i completely enjoyed reading can you please tell me the make and mileage of the car, a well maintained Baleno costs close to 2L in Bangalore look's like you got a very good deal on this car.
hey visran, thanks for the appreciation.
the make is june 2000 and the mileage i get in pune city is 12-13. on the expressway she has returned a shocking figure of 17-18.5 kmpl.

The cars in bangalore are expensive as the taxes in KA are the highest. ( Lifetime tax)..hence even the resale value automatically goes up. [:)]

Thread Starter #12
People...the car has been sold....it was sad parting with her...sold her at a profit.
Purchase price precise 80,000 Rs.
Selling price: 1,15,000 Rs
Profit: 35,000 rs [clap]

Did you done any modification before selling?How you got a better price?Why you sold your car? planned for new one?

Hello Ikraam,

It was a pleasure to read your post, well expressed. all those who read, do sense the pride you gained in losing your 4 wheeled virginity to a Baleno.

The devil in you sure did a good job ;)

What was the ODO when you bought the car and where did you get the servicing done for 7800k in pune?

I needed some advice from you, is there a way to get in touch with you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom