My Experience with MDS (Maruti Driving School) & DRIVING TEST

Thread Starter #1
*** Hope I’m posting this on correct thread. If not, Mods please forgive me and move this to appropriate thread.***

For my daily driving needs my bike was more than enough for me. For work related drive I had vehicles from the company. When it’s a family (4 members family including me) drive, we used to hire a cab. So never felt the need to own a car and driving experience. I was happy with the long drives I made with my bike and in cabs. I used to sleep as soon as I get in the car (yep!) or may be was lazy... And I was more comfortable in passenger seat.

One Journey while I was working on a short film made me to think again.

Six months back I worked in short film directed by a friend of mine (We met while another Film shoot and he was an Associate director then). The project was on a tight budget. The shoot went for 3 days and the postproduction was a real mess. Since the actors and technicians worked for a small payment, director said that he didn't want to disturb their others works which are currently in progress. For dubbing and all, we had go to their place. Also I had to take my gears and luggage along the journey.

So in-order to travel to places our music director, who is a friend of the director, came with his INDICA VISTA (don't remember the model spec, it was diesel though and almost new one). We frequently travelled between Trivandrum and Kochi that too without any breaks. I was like editing on the way. Our sound engineer was working on major production feature film so we had to schedule our travels according to that. I enjoyed the ride as a CO-passenger. I felt lot of space in the front and rear and I was able sit with my laptop and work smoothly. (Never expected this from a Small Tata car)

The worst pain came when he asked whether I could help him on driving. Bingo! I don't know driving. Even the director too. That day I felt so bad. Anyway we continued our journey and finished the project. Afterwards I got busy with other projects. But a desire to learn driving started budding inside me. And the turbo kicked in so badly that I couldn’t concentrate on any other things. All I wanted was to learn driving. I don't have any 4 wheeler at home. So only way I can learn is by joining a Driving school.

Time passed, on completion of a major project, I decided to take a break and learn driving. (Often time I will have travel when in work. So if join a school I won’t be able to complete course on time. So decided to take a break.) Also I felt like if I have a car it will be easy for me to get to any location without any delay. I travel to location with my assistant with both our luggages and gears.(Necessity is the mother of invention , Now I understand its meaning)

The Maruti Driving School.

I have seen MDS vehicle passing through my area. So decided to check on them first before approaching any local Driving School. (Though my Uncle's friend is an instructor in a nearby driving school). I went to MDS (Elamkulam branch, Kochi, Kerala). I talked to them. They gave me a corporate brochure type syllabus and explained each and everything. They said about the choices of cars. Explained simulator and theory classes. I felt bit of Okie with everything, Theory class, simulator training, practical classes, flexible timing, AC cars, 1:1 training, and obviously choice of cars and increase in fee as we go for specific car. (I never liked to be in Alto and M 800.Period. Most people teach in these and have seen Nano in some schools.) I asked some friends about their experience in local driving schools and got comments like much cheaper than MDS (likely to be ⅓ of fee) Good practical, etc. One of my friends scolds me very badly for spending this much money in MDS. But I was Okie with the MDS. So I decided to join and take the risk.

The first 5 days were theory classes. Basics of car to the RULES and REGULATIONS and MV ACTS.

The Instructor explained every road rules and regulations. Explained everything about car and its mechanisms, road safety features, driving techniques, etc. Meanwhile interacted with my friends to share their driving experience. Did a search in Internet to get more knowledge of cars. (In one such search I found TAI). I was like doing all that it takes to make myself a GOOD DRIVER. (I know it’s more of experience but theory really matters, without knowing the rules and safety precautions how I’m supposed to drive) I doubt about this theory class in local driving school. Never heard from anybody talking about the theory class.But definitely they will get you pass the test.

We had a compulsory RTO theory of 2hrs.(Its compulsory in our RTO, I'm not sure about other RTOs) Since I went after completing the theory classes from MDS, so could find anything new there and for the 8:00 AM class the Officer came only by 8:45. The session got over by 9:45. But the officer was very nice in terms of teaching.

DEMO class.

When the theory classes got over (MDS classes) we were introduced to Simulators and Demo class. In this we gained practical experience with the Foot controls, hand controls, Basic things to check before entering or driving a car (all round inspection, Under hood inspection for oil level, water level, fluid level.)

Simulator Training.

Before taking the car try in a controlled environment and be familiar with the roads and controls of car. (This class comes mixed with the practical class. So once we try car on road, then we will start to feel the simulator like a mess. It’s much softer than the real car and won't make any sense afterwards.) Though it helped to practice night driving. Seen people correcting mistakes they made in roads and practicing safer driving in simulators.

Driving Class.

Once I started driving I tried to apply the things I learnt from theory into practical environment. We had a progress card, which keeps track of our driving skills. After 4 days I asked for a particular instructor with whom I felt more comfortable.(I got mixed up with the driving style and thought, it will be good if I follow one particular style. And when this particular instructor came I felt more confident and comfortable.)

I'm a slow learner. May be he understood this in first class itself. He took his time to teach me things and gave me enough time comprehend things.He seldom used the controls in his side while teaching and always allowed me to drive my own. This helped me to gain confidence and better control over the car. At least I know I’m driving a car. I drove peacefully in most of the traffic area.(But there were some situations in which I panicked and did some mistake.) He was very patient to correct my mistakes and taught me some nice techniques to tackle the traffic. (Especially the private buses here in Kochi. The Red Colored Vampires). Also he was teaching me to drive a car in real life not just the sake of DL test.

The routes are very much picked up to sharpen our driving skills. First 4 days not so much crowded area and it is like almost a maze. Lots of intersections and pocket roads. So once we complete the 4 days class we will almost learn clutch control.(depends on students capacity. heard that there we some students who actually started driving their own in 2nd class.) Afterwards taken to main roads. Mainly vyttila Jn * (One of the busiest and crowded junction in Kochi. You will start sweating in AC), and other main junctions.

H Class.

For H class another instructor came. He explained me the importance of H formation and purpose.(Parallel parking, Reverse Left Turn, Reverse Right Turn, Controlling car in half clutch etc) That way I was sure why I should learn to take an H.

+ves

• Detailed theory Class (Rules and regulations, Vehicle maintenance, Vehicle basics) (very impressed)
  • Vehicle choice (Alto, Wagon R, Ritz, Zen Estillo and Swift Dzire)
  • Well trained Instructors
  • Very patient and helpful instructors.
  • AC Cars (Be aware that while on test we have to ride without AC and should show hand signals.)
  • One student at a time.(Driving and H class)
  • Simulator Training. (Help full in the beginning, bad weather condition driving, Night Driving experience etc)
  • Demo Class. (One class to get acquainted with car in detail)
  • Progress card. Keeps track of our driving skill. Very helpful.

-ves

• Pricey (Depends upon the car choice)
  • Front office is bit corporate. But manageable.
  • Simulator feels bit odd after we start-driving a car. (Subjective I guess. Never found any others complaining)

Thread Starter #2
DL Test Day

DL Test Day.

My test was on 24-8-12.
On 23rd evening my friend gave his car (Maruti EECO) for a drive.When we started it was 8 in the night. We drove to Muvattupuzha from my place (39 kms) through the SH 41** (very bad condition road ) and returned via NH 85*** (42 km and its in good condition). While return I was almost confident and enjoyed the night drive. (Though some guys scolded me for not dipping, what to do, first time :-))

While return we had two police checking. An alcometer check and didn't ask about the license at all. There weren’t any L mark in vehicle and the sun films were not removed. Oh my God first run and 2 open violations… Won’t repeat it again :-)

After this ride I was pretty confident and was sure that I will pass the test. I took the H formation (ground test) easily and passed in that. The road test too went smoothly. Only a 2 km drive in straight road, need to change all the gears and just a U turn everything over. Is this a test? I think every one appeared in the road test passed,though they were very strict in H formation. Lot of students failed in ground test.

Anyway, on passing the test I took an Oath in blood. I will be a good DRIVER
(Discipline, Responsibility, Intelligence, Vision, Efficiency, Royalty)
I will obey Traffic rules. (This covers most of the road common sense and manners that we need to keep for a safe and happy drive).

I got the license in hand today morning (28-08-2012). Now I have to start the hunt for a caaar.. :-)

I found MDS to be very useful. I will definitely recommend MDS. But do check on the local schools too. Sometimes it will be comfortable for you. End of the day its your choice and comfort that matters :-)
A special thanks to,
TAI members for your lovely posts & tips.
Some Internet sources.
Delhi Traffic Police website
Delhi Traffic Police, Traffic Police India, Traffic Police, Traffic Rules, Traffic Signals
LDC UK website (You can find some useful tips and videos )
Free driving lessons briefs for the LD System
Driving Test Lessons. Free Theory Tests, Practical Test Video (useful too)
Kochi City Police

* Vyttila is an intersection as well as the name of a region in the city of Kochi, in the state of Kerala, India. It is one of the largest as well as the busiest intersection in Kerala. This node intersects the main north-south artery of the state of Kerala, namely, the National Highway 47, with three city roads of Kochi viz, the S. A. Road (east-west), the Vyttila-Petta Road, and the Thammanam Road.It connects the district headquarters of Kottayam, Alleppey etc. to the Kochi city centre.

** State Highway 41 - starts in Palarivattom (Kochi) and ends in Thekkady.

*** National Highway 85 - starts from the junction of NH 47 at Kundannoor (Kochi) and terminates at Rameswaram.
-- Source wikipedia

Nice read, its not easy to see a car without scratches in Kochi. Take care while driving and try to keep all the rules alive on road.

Hey Sujoy

I am an MDS Kollam passout too [:D]. I went there long back in 2006. So is my sister (She graduated recently though). The MDS people are pretty good when compared to other driving schools though they aren't as good as their counterparts in other countries like the middle east, US, UK etc. I recommend them to everyone here though.
Happy and safe driving.

Regards,
Vipin

Re: DL Test Day

Sujoy !! Congrats and I really appriciate your way of thinking about driving and your Oath about good driving. I wish most of the fresh guys learn from you who drive their cars without proper training and licence too and wish to see such a day Hyderabad when people really learn driving before getting their licence [clap] and expect some sensible driving on the roads which really avoid lot of accidents[:)]

Thread Starter #6
@ vinayan
Hi, Vinayan
I'm happy to obey rules.
----------------------------
@rajvel
Hi, rajvel, Thank you.
@VipinLJ
Hi, Vipin
Happy to hear from a MDS pass out. I totally agree with you. But compared to our local schools, its far better.
@Gurrala74
Hey,RK
Thank you for the comments. I'll be more than happy if my experience and thoughts make some difference in our community. We all wish to see everyone driving peacefully and safely. Let everyone learn from each other and after all that is the purpose of forums like TAI and they are doing their job very well. Happy to be a part of it.

Hi Sujoy,

The days of "L" board are never forgotten, Although I dint go through the MDS to get my DL, I have heard good opinions from some of my known people about their training.

Do you have any rough price list for what they charge? it might be useful to other TAI'ians who plan to get Learners License for their Spouse/other family member.

Welcome to TAI, Happy Onam.

Sujoy sir,
nicely written experience review !
I think you had made a lot of effort and spend a lot of time for preparing this !
The Automotive Shopper section of the forum would help you in selecting the ride of your likes and preferences.
Drive Safe

Thread Starter #9
Hi Sujoy,

The days of "L" board are never forgotten, Although I dint go through the MDS to get my DL, I have heard good opinions from some of my known people about their training.

Do you have any rough price list for what they charge? it might be useful to other TAI'ians who plan to get Learners License for their Spouse/other family member.

Welcome to TAI, Happy Onam.

[:)]

MDS price range is from 2900 to 6900 INR (in Kerala), Don't remember the exact amount. Please consult with MDS for exact amount. they are very open to customers queries.

Sujoy sir,
nicely written experience review !
I think you had made a lot of effort and spend a lot of time for preparing this !
The Automotive Shopper section of the forum would help you in selecting the ride of your likes and preferences.
Drive Safe
Thank you [:)]

[:)]

MDS price range is from 2900 to 6900 INR (in Kerala), Don't remember the exact amount. Please consult with MDS for exact amount. they are very open to customers queries.
Thanks for the info, happy motoring. I feel their pricing to be VFM. I spent 3800 at a not so nice place. I am sure MDS is the way to go in near future to all my known people.

I had very bad experience with Maruti Driving School a few years back when I took it at Nayandanahalli, Bangalore. Though they have a very grand set-up the staff behaviour is very cheap. I paid close to Rs.6000 with a promise to pick me up from home which is less than (2 km from office) daily for the practical classes (as mentioned in the pamphlet). They did not even bother to come down and I had to practically go to the 2nd floor (if I remember) to remind them of the class. When they are late they ask me to wait and if I am late by 5 mins, they practically ask me to look at the clock. This even happened at the time of simulator driving.
When the practical started, the tutors were really really rude and literally irritated even when I used to tell them I had no driving experience. There was one tutor, who even crossed the limits. He went to the extent of harassing me. I told him the practical classes looks to be ending very soon than promised daily. He got offended and said that there is a clause of hours and kms on a daily basis for each class and whichever is attained first, they will end the class. So when I accelerated the car, he started shouting to slow down or else, I would finish the limited number of kms for the day soon. He was absolutely shameless in saying that and trust me at that time I did not have the guts to fight back. Then later he asked if I had any doubts and when I said I have difficulty driving ascended roads, he asked me to check with other tutors next day! Then he asked me to drive on flat roads and took me to a place where he had personal work of collecting forms for DLs (which is his side business, I guess). Then he asked me to get down as the distance was covered for that day and he drove it very rash back to the office. Also, the same guy had come for the stepney changing class, where he gave minimal instructions and was playing with his mobile while I was struggling with the tools. I lost my confidence in 4 wheeler driving and even after years I haven't bought a car or approached any other driving schools. They collect our feedback regularly where I had not mentioned any of the above things, thinking I should be concentrating on my driving only but did a wrong thing. Not to mention, I did not take the DL from MDS. MDS is only a good grand set-up but I felt not of real value to the customers.

@Shivakumar I guess it depends on staff. If the staff is good, the class will be good. Please do get trained by a local driving school (enquire about the school from colleagues and friends before joining) if you are not comfortable with MDS. Driving is an essential skill. You never know when you will have to drive in an emergency. Every novice driver feels it is herculean task to drive, but as he/she keeps driving, he/she reaches a point where driving becomes automatic. Our brain is such an incredible machine that what seems insurmountably initially will become just an afterthought in a few days of training. So just go ahead and train yourself now!

Top Bottom