My Experience With Cars24 For Selling a Car

Thread Starter #1
Mods. I am not sure if this thread is suitable in this section. Feel free to move to other appropriate section.

Flash Back

So last year we in Feb 2018 we bought a 2005 Hyundai Getz GL petrol Second Owner 50k run car.
The car was in very good condition and we sealed the deal for 55000.

The previous owner had bought the car some 5-6 months back and the RTO transfer process for him was still in progress when we picked up the car.
He presented us with the photocopies of the submitted forms and promised us to intimate when he receives the RC on his name.We take delivery of the car on the basis of an Affidavit stating car with Said Reg Number sold by him to me on said date.
Finally I receive the new RC on his name in around August 2018.

Now due to lack of time we are not able to initiate the transfer.

Fast Forward Feb 2019
So almost 1 year down the line and we decide to Sell it off.

Online ads put up and I receive a call from Cars24.
Their Procedure.
1. You need to be the registered owner of he car or the Registered owner has to be present for the final paperwork.
2. Book Appointment at the nearest center.
3. Take the car to their center at the time of appointment.
4. An executive will do initial verification of documents - RC and Insurance
5. Another expert will then come and inspect the car by driving it and over all observation from all sides, all systems, dents, rust etc.
6. He will click pictures of the cars to be uploaded to there valuation portal.
7. After about 30-40 minutes wait wherein they say "Auction" of the car is in progress, they will provide you with a Report of the car.
8. The report is exhaustive wherein they will try to point out every small issue in the car - basically see how max to devalue the car.
9. Finally after explaining the report you are offered a "BEST" price.
10. If you accept the price then you need to provide few docs of Registered owner - PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Cancelled check of the account where you want the amount to be credited.
11. Once these are submitted, the accepted price will be credited to your account.
12. Car has to be handed over to them immediately.
13. Cars24 will take care of further paperwork of Transferring the car and updating the RC.
14. A small fee will be charged by Car24. This depends in which slab does you car valuation falls. e.g. 2000 for cars valued up to 50000.
14. Regular updates to be provided to us periodically over SMS/Mail.

My case.
As mentioned earlier I am not the registered owner, which I intimate to the Cars24 personnel on call.
They responded that I can still get car inspected and if deal accepted, you can get the Owner to visit any of the feasible Cars24 center for completing the Paper work within 24 hours.
I just need to carry a soft copy of the owner's ID card (PAN/Aadhar)

Plus Point here - You can get the car inspected at Center A and get the paper work completed at Center B. In my case I was to inspect the car at the Dombivli Center, a suburb of Mumbai outside city limits and get the paper work completed at Ghatkopar center. Both at least 40 Kms apart.

However, Cars24 will credit amount to the Owners account. Further probing they say they can credit to my account as well if the owner provides an Authority letter. Fair.

I Booked an Appointment with Cars24 and drive down to their center on Saturday 2nd March 2019.
The executive greeted and verified the documents. Asked me who is the owner, to which I repeat the story and say the owner will visit the center if deal finalized.
I made clear that the registered owner is previous owner and he can come to the center to complete paper work if deal goes through.

However, there was roadblock, as said by the call center, the personnel at center denied possibility of crediting the amount to my account on basis of consent letter from the actual owner.
They said they can only credit it to the owner's account. And I need to get a cancelled check scan/picture of his account.

I wasn't sure if the previous owner would agree to get the amount credited to his account due to tax issues.
Still I said, lets get the car inspected and valuation done.

After a long inspection for about 40 minutes and further waiting for 30 more minutes, I am finally presented with the "REPORT".
It better be termed a De-valuation Report rather than a Valuation Report.

Next comes the surprise, The final cost offer.
A Princely Sum of 25000 INR.

"NO", is my obvious answer to them.

Then they starts the brainwashing session.
It's a 2005 car, Only one year remaining, Production stopped, there are issues, this that.
So considering all this is a fair price.

I literally start moving and then urge me to wait for 5 mins and come back saying 30000 is what they can give me Net price in My account after deducting their charges.

I just say, its a car in working and good condition. 30000 is not acceptable. Need to have something at least around 45000.
They start further brain washing on the benefits of selling to Cars24 and how outside if I sell I won't be sure of if the new owner would get the car transferred and all.

I finally say I will go home give a thought and update them by evening 6:30 which was the close of Business time as the price will be valid till that time only, if I am to accept the value provided and finally make a move.

So I am now no way selling to Cars24 and start responding to the enquiries I had received on OLX.

As I did not get back to Cars24, received a follow up call on Tuesday 5th March 2019.
"Sir, What happened, you were to get back"

I respond saying I better keep the car as a Spare or sell outside. Already receiving offers of 45000-50000.
A brain washing session about to start which I cut short and say, if I do not get better price outside Cars24, its my fate.
Finally they ask, What is the expectation.

I feedback saying the price offered by you does not gives me any guts to ask for my acceptable price.

Two days later I receive a Call again from Cars24 from their Headoffice in Delhi.

They enquire about, why I did not closed the deal with them. Obvious answer from me.
Finally they ask me how much is expected.
Considering below points
I bought the car for 55000 and one year use although it was hardly driven 1000 kms.
Paper work Hassles to be taken care by them.
Instant Amount in Account on handing over the car.
I ask them to Give me 45000 net in my account.

They say will get back in sometime.

Received a call couple of hours later, that they are ready to provide me the expected price.

I say Okay and enquire on further procedure.
So I have to get the original owner down to their center for paper work.
Amount will be credited to the owner's Account, which I can later get from him.
The owner needs to carry, Original PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Cancelled Check, Four Passport Size Photographs.

I check with the Owner for readiness to accept the payment in his account.
As expected, he denies to accept in his account citing taxation issues. Says He will then have to deduct 20% tax amount which comes to 9000 for the price of 45000.

Now that's a big loss. I check back with Cars24.
Explain them the constraint and ask them what is the other way round.
Can they credit to my account instead?

They come back after sometime and say, Yes they can credit the amount to my account on the basis of a consent letter signed by the owner.

Then they ask me to send Soft copies of below documents to start the procedure and keep the paperwork ready to be signed by the owner when I would be visiting.
My PAN card.
My Aadhar Card.
Cancelled Cheque image of My Bank Account.
Owner's PAN Card.
Owner's Aadhar Card.

Post checking with the owner, I fix an appointment with Cars24 On Saturday 9th March 2019 at 10:30 am at their Ghatkopar center.
I inform them although initial inspection was done at Dombivli Center, I will submit the car at their Ghatkopar center on Saturday.

Post receiving all the above mentioned documents and few follow up calls I finally receive a Token Amount of Rs. 1000 in my account by Friday evening.

Saturday 9th March 2019.

I take the car, Pick up the registered owner and we reach the Cars24 center in Ghatkopar.
I speak with the contact person there and they start the procedure.

They Check the RC, insurance and two keys.
Since there had been a gap of 1 week from the initial inspection, they say need to re-inspect the car.

Now this wasn't informed by them in any of the calls they made me within the week.
Anyways I find it fair enough as 1 week is good enough time to tamper the car or have things damaged.

By the time the car is being inspected, we start the paperwork.
All the RTO forms for NOC and Transfer to be signed by the owner.
A consent letter to be signed by the owner and me stating he has no objection on Cars24 crediting the amount to my account.

Now, in between the person inspecting comes and asks if the car was water borne anytime.
They could see traces of fungus in the front foot wells.

I sternly reply, Don't tell me anything now, Post inspection last week, the car was just parked at home and started only today morning.
There has been no rain or anything in last one week for the car to get water borne.Also it wasn't reported in the earlier inspection last week.

They say,,we have to still tag this in the report else their channel partner (Basically some used car dealer they have a tie up with) who will be picking the car will complain later.

So its gonna take some time to submit the report and get a final approval from their Delhi Head office.
I inquire if the owner has to also wait or if he is done with the signatures and paper work if he can leave.

They give an OK for the owner to leave and I wait there.

After some more waiting finally they receive the approval.

A delivery Acknowledgement and a protection policy letter is given by Cars24. See below.

Cars24_1.jpeg
Cars24_2.jpeg

The person at the center says now the remaining amount should get credited to your account soon. I just need to once speak with the Person from Delhi office who has been interacting with me.

I call him and inform him about the receipt of Acknowledgement and ask for the payment.
He responds stating it will be done within half an hour.

In normal scenario, wherein you walk in to the center, get the car evaluated and accept the deal, the amount is supposed to be credited in 48 hours.
But since they informed me earlier as well that within half hour the amount will be credited I decide to wait.

Half an Hour later no SMS notification of the amount credited in my bank. I call back asking and I get a reply it is initiated. It will happen.
Wait for another Half an hour, still nothing. Call back again and the person says to give 10 minutes.
In 10 minutes I receive a Message from Cars24 stating transfer of Rs. 44000 (Balance amount) has been initiated to the account number ending xxxx.
Minutes later I receive the SMS from my Bank of the amount credited to my account.

Finally I relax. Thank the staff at the Cars24 center and leave.

I am not sure What Verdict I can give. Experiences will surely vary from Person to Person depending on the state of the car they are selling.
If you do not like the price offered, leave from there. From my experience they may call back and ask for the desired price and accept it too.

What I liked:
Instant selling of car provided you accept the price.
No need to entertain multiple customers and waste time and fuel providing them with test drives and haggle on negotiations.
No Headache of further paperwork for NOC and Transfer of the car.
Post submitting the car and receiving the Delivery acknowledgement you have no more liability.
Overall courteous staff.

What I didn't liked:
Price offered is far less than what can be fetched in market value.
Information flow is inconsistent.

Hi,
I am looking for used car in Bangalore. Has anybody used Cars24 to buy (not selling) a used car? Their T&C say "Company does not guarantee that it will be able to find a willing seller at the predetermined price and within defined timeframe". If can't guarantee then how they're listing pics with Km and other details. They sell based on bidding. I did look at quickr cars but couldn't find based on my interest.

I am keen on TUV 300 (100bhp) and Nexon. Anything insight would be appreciated on used car place.

Thread Starter #3
Hi,
I am looking for used car in Bangalore. Has anybody used Cars24 to buy (not selling) a used car? Their T&C say "Company does not guarantee that it will be able to find a willing seller at the predetermined price and within defined timeframe". If can't guarantee then how they're listing pics with Km and other details. They sell based on bidding. I did look at quickr cars but couldn't find based on my interest.

I am keen on TUV 300 (100bhp) and Nexon. Anything insight would be appreciated on used car place.

Did you tried there "Buy Used Car" section.

Buy Used Cars in Mumbai - Second Hand Cars Online | CARS24

You can select the city and put other filters like Make, Model, Transmission type, Price range and see if anything is available that suits your search.

Thread Starter #5
Certainly, I am interested to someone's buying experience not on how to use website :)
Well, what I can understand from your expectation is you set a requirement and ask them to provide a used car. Its fair enough for them to say they cannot guarantee they will get a car fitting your exact requirements or anything close to it.
Its a used car unlike a new one where you ask for the variant of your choice at the authorized dealership and which can be provided by getting it manufactured.

Listed cars are dealt directly with owners and Cars24 is just a mediator. choose what fits your requirement and call them. This was told to me by their executive who looks after this Used car Section.

Final Buying experience, will share if at all anytime I buy something from them.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Cars24. Just trying to help fellow TAIian in getting things clear based on what interaction and experience I had with Cars24.

Well, what I can understand from your expectation is you set a requirement and ask them to provide a used car. Its fair enough for them to say they cannot guarantee they will get a car fitting your exact requirements or anything close to it.
Its a used car unlike a new one where you ask for the variant of your choice at the authorized dealership and which can be provided by getting it manufactured.

Listed cars are dealt directly with owners and Cars24 is just a mediator. choose what fits your requirement and call them. This was told to me by their executive who looks after this Used car Section.

Final Buying experience, will share if at all anytime I buy something from them.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Cars24. Just trying to help fellow TAIian in getting things clear based on what interaction and experience I had with Cars24.
Thanks for some insight. I have liked one which is listed on their site. I am thinking to bid for it however still in double mind. I guess it is all related fear/doubts of picking from user car market. :)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Update

We fully support the Honorable Prime Minister’s decision of JantaCurfew. Understanding our social responsibility, we at CARS24, hereby announce to keep our branches across India closed on Sunday, 22nd March. We urge people to support this initiative by staying at home, taking all the precautionary measures and maintaining social distancing at this crucial time.” Said Vikram Chopra, Co-founder and CEO, CARS24

Regards
Akash

Top Bottom