My Cute Little Car To Dote On: Maruti 800 (1985) SS80

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,

For some time, I had been looking for a reasonably good SS80 here in Hyderabad. OLX was my primary search tool. Thanks to OLX, here I am with a reasonably good SS80. I got it from LB Nagar from a used car dealer. This is how it was when I saw it, standing out from the lot as a rose among the thorns. I was stunned. So will you, my fellow TAIans who adore the model, I am sure...

IMG_20190713_111854.jpg

Here are some of the clicks of the car. I'd like my fellow TAIans to shed light on your observations and share opinions about this vehicle, if you need further information, I am here to help...

IMG_20190714_141527.jpg

IMG_20190714_141540.jpg
IMG_20190714_141936.jpg

I don't expect the car of this age to be in prestine condition, otherwise, it will be asking for the moon. So, it was showing signs of its age. There are some paint cracks behind the C pillar on both sides. I am not sure if the paint is original.
IMG_20190713_181546.jpg

IMG_20190713_181553.jpg

The seats are all dilapidated.
IMG_20190713_181647.jpg

IMG_20190713_181704.jpg

Gear know looks prettier than in this picture. Can anyone say by looking at this picture if it is original or not?

IMG_20190713_181729.jpg

The steering wheel, instrument cluster, and door panels all look tired and worn out

IMG_20190713_181753.jpg

IMG_20190713_181813.jpg

IMG_20190713_181824.jpg

Please see that screws are used to fasten the panel.
IMG_20190713_181853.jpg
IMG_20190713_181911.jpg

One wiper arm is missing

IMG_20190714_141851.jpg

Thankfully, electricals are functioning. Indicators are flashing appropriately, which came as a surprise to me...
IMG_20190713_184337.jpg

IMG_20190713_184353.jpg

Now, the engine :

IMG_20190713_183320.jpg

I was greatly disappointed when the whole car was rattling only to find the road was bumpy. On smooth tarmac, the car threaded its way through like a knife on the butter and a sword swung in the air. I truly enjoyed the drive from the dealer back to home as I shifted gears and wheeled past the fellow riders, I clocked 50 Km/h. Now, my journey forward will be to hunt for originals and replace aftermarket spares on the car. For that, I need to know which is original and which is aftermarket. Can someone help me with that, please?

Thanks...

Attachments

excellent purchase. the car seems fairly in good condition just need little love and attention.
First and foremost, please make sure that the cooling system of the car is perfect i.e. the radiator, gaskit, tvalve and the temp guage.
After that give a nice clean wash to the interior and the enine bay.
Redo the door cards and replace the broken bits.
as for the cracks, a good painter can scratch it and give a makeover easily on the rear portion easily.
enjoy the ride as we have the shape here in PK but we didnt got this dashbaord and steel bumpers.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Ride it with total relaxation. There are many good things about it.
No worry about bikers cutting you.
No worry about dents and scratches in unruly traffic.
No worry about stupid E rickshaws driving with no light and horn just to save on "charge of battery".They will be afraid of you now.
No worry about car breaking down in the city anywhere,as a roadside mechanic can mend it.
No tension of electricals and gadgets and infotainment not pairing with phone and Bluetooth and android auto and what not.
No worry about turbo and all.You can always shut it down after a long run within half a second.
Small and light tyre will be easy to lift and put in the dikky,in case of a puncture.It wont break your back.Its like a scooter tyre.
Rear view, while reversing is EXCELLENT. No need of camera. Modern cars are making rear windscreen smaller and smaller.
Servicing it is basic.You can do it yourself,if inclined,or any mechanic will do it. It will NOT cost a bomb.
No worry about resale.Anything you get ,will make you happy,on reselling.You can always do lateral upgrade whenever you have resources.
Its a DIYers dream car!!

These are the positives,coming to my mind.
No, I will not go into negatives. Not at all. This car doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:
Excellent find, pristine condition, to add to what @mayankdixit guidance, just do a basic service, oil's and filter changed and enjoy your ride, till the time you decide to go the whole restoration route, or sell it and move on.
All the best, even the keys are original.
Regards
Vinod

Most of the spares are stopped few years ago if you want to keep the car for sometime procure some critical spares like temperature sensor(it is important), brake booster, Carb gasket etc.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Most of the spares are stopped few years ago if you want to keep the car for sometime procure some critical spares like temperature sensor(it is important), brake booster, Carb gasket etc.
Original ss80 never came with brake booster.
Can be installed retrogradely though.

Last edited:
@mayankdixit, Quite nice, thanks for correcting me. I am just creating awareness to owner regarding if any hardly available spares. I used collect spares for my older cars, someone in MGP told M800 and Zen spares are running out.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
@Suryaputhra, thanks for shedding light on the matter. In fact, I am hunting for spares. I am looking for windshield chrome trim which is currently missing in this car, I am not sure if I can get dashboard, but, I'll look for it and anything else I can get for this car and restore it as much as I can to bring it to looking like it's just rolled out of the factory. I know it's a huge effort, but... fingers crossed. Thanks for the big up...

@mayankdixit, Appreciate your time to put up a list of No worry about...

@Nnabeel79, my friend from Karachi, thanks for your words. Well-taken suggestions...

@Nanofreak, thanks for your advice. I see that oil level is correct, radiator coolant is good, will change air filter soon. I want to do all these by myself. Becoming a grease monkey is an inner calling. Thanks for your suggestion...

Keep in touch please...

bhvm

Honoured Member
Another Legend being rescued! These days I must thank each and every DIYer who is restoring old beasts and saving them from being scrapped.
Thread subscribed and eagerly waiting for new photos!

Nice car and thread @Flake sir. I feel nostalgic whenever I come across classic cars be it HM Ambassador MK I, MK II, Contessa and also the gypsy. Among all these classics, the Maruti SS80 holds a special place in my memory. I have good memories with our SS80 in my childhood days, my grandfather owned own back in the day. I still remember those days when me and my grandfather used to go on early morning drives on the Tank Bund road in Hyderabad, there used to be quarter of the traffic which we are witnessing now.

Wishing you many more happy kilometers with your SS80.

Top Bottom