My Blue Tata Nexon – Horrific Nightmares To Beautiful Rides

Thread Starter #1
I drove Tiago XZ petrol (2017 model) before in Bangalore and I was completely satisfied with Tata motors and Tata vehicles. When I decided to move to Hyderabad from Bangalore, I also decided to upgrade my vehicle to another Tata vehicle (Tigor or Nexon). I sold my Tiago in Bangalore for an awesome price (2 yrs old, 20K run went for 4.7 lacs). After this price, I finalized Nexon XM D.

We moved to Hyderabad in March and got settled by mid of April. Meanwhile, I took test drives of Nexon, Ecosport, Brezza. I already decided Nexon, but took the test drives of other vehicles just to compare how good Nexon is. After all Full and Final settlements of my previous company, I decided to take XZ+ petrol, to give more comfortable and fun rides to family. [:)]

Finally, booked Blue Nexon XZ+ in 3rd week of April. After a week of wait time, I got a call from sales guy that they got 2 Blue Nexons, with manufacturing months of January and February. As usual, I selected February vehicle. Car arrived on 25th April and I went for a PDI on 27th April.

27th April (Saturday): PDI
PDI was successful with all other checklist points, but I couldn’t take test drive as there are other cars parked around the Nexon, where I cant take the car at all. I believed the car will be in good condition, with my previous experience of Tiago. I made the payments and loan process initiated. I asked them to deliver the car on next day i.e 28th April (Sunday), they agreed. Also I told them that I will be taking insurance from outside, as the dealer insurance is very costly. They agreed for this and I bought insurance from Royal Sundaram with start date of 28th April.

TR and Registration process in Hyderabad is completely different from Bangalore. In Bangalore, the dealer can approach the RTO for registration. But here, the dealer will create only the Temporary Registration by paying the tax to the government. After that, Owner need to go with the car to the RTO office and complete the registration.

28th April (Sunday):
Finally, the day arrived to take my Nexon. I went with family to the showroom at 9.45 AM. They asked us to wait for 20 mins for regular formalities. Meanwhile, had a discussion with Sales guy about TR and registration process. I was surprised that they couldn’t rise the TR on 27th April, as the insurance is starting from 28th April. As 28th April is Holiday, they couldn’t create any TR and they promised me that the TR will be done on 29th April Monday. I was worried but this delay saved my peace of mind and money

Now the Horror story begins.
I took the delivery of the car, with all freebies. We started from showroom and directly went to fuel station and did full tank. Then we started to go to a temple near my home. After a ride 6 kms, we got an empty road, where we thought of taking some pics. We parked the car and took some beautiful snaps for 10 mins. Once we get in to the car and started, there was a sudden loss of RPM and its down to 400 rpm and went upto 1500 RPM. After about 1 min, it got settled to 800 RPM. Then I thought of moving then observed the “Check engine” warning is on. I stopped the car immediately and waited for 10 mins. Once started again, the warning still shows on the cluster. I stopped again and called the sales guy. He was very prompt and reached the spot within 15 mins with another service person to check the car. He checked the car and said, there is no issue as of now. And if the symbol still appears tomorrow, I can call them again for service support. I drove the car very slow, to avoid further warnings and reached the temple by 12 noon. But the temple was closed and we went to home to take rest and visit the temple in the evening.

Evening at 6PM, I started the car from apartment basement and car started with warning symbol ON. We came to the ramp to go out of apartment, but the car couldn’t climb the ramp in “City” mode. I changed to “Sports” mode, then it climbed the ramp. We reached the temple which is about half a kilometer from my home. While doing Puja, we observed that engine was very hot and there was no coolant in the car. I surely remember coolant available when I did PDI on previous day. But within one day coolant was over for just of 15 kms. I was worried and brought back the car to parking. Immediately called the sales guy and I instructed him not to create any TR on Monday. Also asked him to send the service guy on Monday to home to check the car.
I was completely worried and couldn’t sleep that night. [anger]

29th April (Monday):
Early morning, with red eyes, I went to start the car. Engine started and I was horrified that car and engine were shaking like hell and I stopped immediately. I couldn’t go to office and waited for the service guys. The service guy with Delivery in charge came to my home at 10 AM. They checked the car and filled water in the coolant box. He told, they will take the car to service center and bring it back by noon. I agreed and they took the car. Then I realized why I didn’t go with them. The car was back at 2.00PM. There was no warning and I drove about 20 kms with the service guy sitting next to me. Everything was fine. Parked the car in the basement. Coolant was full. I was very happy. Slept at 5PM and got up at 7.00PM.
Late after dinner, I want to go for a ride and started the car at 9.00PM. And this time, warning was not hiding. It was there. This time, it was blinking. As per google, blinking “Check engine” warning is emergency and cant take the car out at all. I was shocked to see there no coolant. No leakage, no spill. Coolant just evaporated.

Called the sales guy, Delivery in-charge and informed the issue. They promised that they will come on Tuesday. Also informed the sales guy not to create TR on Tuesday. He agreed. Another sleepless night for me. [frustration]

30th April (Tuesday):
I couldn’t take leave and have to go to office for an important meeting at 9.00AM. After the meeting at 10.00AM, I called the Delivery in-charge. To my surprise, he informed me that they are about to reach my home in 5 mins. I started immediately from office and reached home. This time, Delivery in-charge, Service manager and another helper were available. I was impressed the way the dealer is handling customer problems.
They got diagnostic laptop and connected it with OBD. 3 errors flashed. 2 are related to engine misfire and not sure about other. All are temporary warnings and nothing permanent. They filled water in coolant. Started the car. Warning was not there now. They want on take the car to service center for further diagnostics. This time, I joined them. They only took the steering. I was sitting at back.

The service center is around 15kms from home. After a ride of 5 kms, we stopped the car to check the coolant level. Coolant is available. Again after a ride of 5kms, again we checked. This time, coolant was at bottom. We filled water again. After reaching service center, coolant box is completely empty. Also we observed that coolant was spilled all over the battery, engine and radiator area.
They opened the spark plugs to check engine misfire warning. Found that 2 spark plugs were gone. They are guessing Petrol quality was the issue. I didn’t agree. If petrol quality was issue, it could damper the engine on the long run but not for 10 kms ride. Surprisingly, there was no argument from their side.
Due to another scheduled meeting at 2.00PM, I have to leave the service center. Visited the showroom and informed the sales manager about the issue. I insisted not to create any TR till the problem resolved or vehicle replaced. They agreed. I started back to office.

After my meeting at 3.30PM, called the service manager. He informed me that, spark plugs, Engine coils and Coolant cap gasket has issues. They informed this to higher officials and they waiting for approval to change as this is new car and not registered on any ones name. This statement give me strength and made me the lucky guy at this state. And I started immediately to showroom to ask for replacement.Reached the Showroom at 5 PM. Meanwhile on the way, checked with insurance team for changing the policy details to another car. They confirmed that they can change. After reaching the service center with another colleague, who also a Nexon owner, we directly asked the manager for replacement. And to my shock, surprise, they AGREED. This time, I insisted on test ride. They agreed. But they said, they have January car. Or I need to wait for another month to get March car. I said okay for January car. As my colleague also owns Jan car. With a belief that same batch cars will be in same conditions.

Took the car for a ride of ~20 kms, with sales guy and service guy sitting in the back. My colleague and my self, both took the steering. We confirmed the car and took the delivery. I want to test the car next day as it is holiday (1st may). Reached home happily at 10 PM.

1st May (Wednesday):
Immediately after getting up, went for a ride of 20kms.[drive] No issues. Came back parked the car and checked all oils, warnings. No problem. After breakfast, took the car for another 40kms. No issues. In the evening, another 30kms. Successful.
I hope there will be no issues now, with this new car. Slept happily in the night.

2nd May (Thursday):
I want to test the car again, as the sales team said, they create TR. So did an early morning ride of 25kms without any issues. I informed the sales team at 9.00AM to create TR. They said, they need insurance copy with new VIN and Chassis number. I informed the insurance team and they said, they will give by evening. I informed dealer to wait till evening to share the updated insurance copy with them. They agreed. I received the insurance copy by evening 6PM. As usual, govt websites not accepting payments. I have another day for test ride.At 9.00PM, went for another ride of 15kms. Everything going fine. Had a beautiful sleep this time, with dreams of long everlasting rides.

3rd May (Friday): Again, morning and evening took the total rides of another 30 kms. I am very much happy that this car has no issues. Due to some technical issues, they have not created TR this day also. Another lucky day for test ride.
4th May (Saturday): Finally, TR done and they shared the soft copy of TR with me.

Now I have one month to do the registration of the car. I am impressed how the dealer handled issue. They agreed that the PDI team have not done their job this time.
Note: Dealer said, not to mention their name in the story due to many other complications.

Many factors helped me to be lucky, Rules of Telangana, Insurance date, prompt action by dealer and service team etc. So, this is end of my horror story and start of beautiful, joyful and safe rides in 5 start rated Indian car.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
First of all Congratulatioins on your new ride Nexon, the 5 Star rating beauty.![clap]

Rs.4.7 lakhs for a 2 year old Tiago XZ with 20k on odo is also a good bargain.

Good to see that the showroom promptly replaced the car and given a you a new Car (you are lucky that they couldn'ttake the TR before the delivery otherwise you will have more sleepless nights [roll].

By the way, what will they do with the other new car which was tested and returned by you - definitely they will give to someone else?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
That's a real horror story , for any new car buyer, with a surprise ending. I must say you are very lucky to have gotten rid of that lemon. Poor chap who is getting/already been given, that lemon.
Iam all praise for the TATA dealer who handled all this fiasco very professionally. I have heard similar cases of Maruti and Skoda dealers where the customer was treated badly.
All is well that ends well.
Congratulations for the new car. Post some pictures of the new car

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
First of all Congratulatioins on your new ride Nexon, the 5 Star rating beauty.![clap]

Rs.4.7 lakhs for a 2 year old Tiago XZ with 20k on odo is also a good bargain.
Thank you for your wishes. Yes. Tiago went for a very good price. That's because, XZ 2017 model is equal to XZ+ 2019 model with an on road price of 6.7lacs.

By the way, what will they do with the other new car which was tested and returned by you - definitely they will give to someone else?
Based on my discussion with sales manager, they are going to return the car to tata motors, with a note of unsuccessful dealer PDI.

That's a real horror story , for any new car buyer, with a surprise ending. I must say you are very lucky to have gotten rid of that lemon. Poor chap who is getting/already been given, that lemon.
Iam all praise for the TATA dealer who handled all this fiasco very professionally. I have heard similar cases of Maruti and Skoda dealers where the customer was treated badly.
All is well that ends well.
Congratulations for the new car. Post some pictures of the new car
Thank you Mayankdixit. Based on my discussion with sales manager, they are going to return the car to tata motors, with a note of unsuccessful dealer PDI.. Surely will post my car pics soon. Thank you once again.

Glad you got that resolved well. Awaiting a detailed review and pics :)
Thank you Harishankar. I will post detailed review with pics. [:)]

Congrats Deepak on xz+. You upgraded very soon [:)]. Your post also reflects poor QC by Tata [frustration]and proves that they will never learn. But thankfully good ending. You got awesome price for your Tiago. Have seen few others also selling at good value. Looks like Tiago has a decent/good resale value. Waiting for pics now.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Congrats Deepak on xz+. You upgraded very soon [:)]. Your post also reflects poor QC by Tata [frustration]and proves that they will never learn. But thankfully good ending. You got awesome price for your Tiago. Have seen few others also selling at good value. Looks like Tiago has a decent/good resale value. Waiting for pics now.
Thank you Abhishek. When I decided to move to Hyderabad, I enquired about re-registration costs in Telangana. As my Tiago is 2 years old, the registration charges are 12% of invoice value. Its almost equal to 70K. With my friends experience, I am damn sure that I will not get any refund from KA RTO. So I thought of selling, if i get a good deal. When I enquired at Cars24 and OLXCashmyCar, the value I got is 4 lacs. Then i tried in olx.in. within a week, car was sold and RC transferred in following week. Actually, my mind said Tiago (with financial logic) and heart said to upgrade (with emotional logic). [;)]. So, this time, I voted for upgrade. After all the settlements from prv company, I decided to upgrade to Nexon.

Yes. Based on my understanding, tiago resale value is good for initial year model cars, coz, Tata removed lot features from subsequent year models.
Also, Thank you so much for all the inputs while buying and maintaining Tiago.

Congrats @Deepakgudla on your 2nd time lucky purchase of Nexon, what a story, really impressed by TML's proactive response in taking back the defective week old car and giving you a new one.
By the way, how many km was your odo reading of the 1st Nexon, when they replaced the car, just for posterity.

Thread Starter #9
Congrats @Deepakgudla on your 2nd time lucky purchase of Nexon, what a story, really impressed by TML's proactive response in taking back the defective week old car and giving you a new one.
By the way, how many km was your odo reading of the 1st Nexon, when they replaced the car, just for posterity.
Thank you Nanofreak. At the time of delivery, defective car Odo reading was 14kms. While replacing, it was ~ 90 to 100 kms. Even the second car odo reading was 14kms at the time of delivery.

Top Bottom