My Black Thunder: Mahindra XUV500 W6 (60K Completed)

Thread Starter #16
Re: My Black Thunder, XUV 500-W6

Hi all, just a quick update. Today I called my relationship Manager, as i want to show the tyre and the reverse parking sensors to the service centre. But to my disappointment, he refused to see the car today as he said he is overburden with the cars and due to lack of manpower he can't attend my car. [anger]

I wrote down the tyre problem on mahindra website. Hope they replace it soon. But i didn't expect this type of answer from the relationship manager.

My car has crossed 1000 kms yesterday and need to get it refilled again. Although the Info was showing Distance to Empty - 9 kms. But about 68 litres of Diesel was filled in the tank that means around 7 litres was left. and even if we take the average of 10 kmpl, then also it could have easily gone for another 60 kms more. I think DTE is not accurate.

Also, can anyone tell me is there any specific indication when car runs in Reserve tank, as there is in other cars like honda city ( yellow fuel pump) starts glowing. Is something like this is there is XUV ?

Last edited:

Your RM might be correct, with the recall sms going to many owners last week, service centres might be inundated, so give him a benefit of doubt. Ask him to confirm your appointment to a latter date though. One Tip always keep a good personal rapport with the service guys if not a better service atleast you stand a better chance of not getting fleeced.[;)]

Never go by the MID display its too conservative on distance to empty and too aggressive on FE, the last dot begins to flicker once you get in to the low fuel zone, suggest to top up always before it happens.

Last edited:

My first suggestion would be to not pay attention to DTE. Second, maintain the fuel level depending on the last calculated average. If you are too lazy like me to calculate it every time use this Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG to keep a track. It can be accessed via mobile phone as well.

Once I was testing the top speed and the DTE went from around 200kms to 80kms in one run of around 1km. The next day it jumped back to 170kms. [lol]

Also my SA told me that the DTE always shows 30km less than the calculated value.

As of now I dont think anybody has a clear idea of How the average and DTE is calculated in XUV5OO, also nobody knows what is the fuel capacity exactly. I have seen claims from 73 liter to 78 liter and more. The reason being the fuel in the fuel pipe.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19

Hi IR, can you please share when and what you got as a part of Purple Club Membership? Also, Last Sunday, I was driving to Greater Noida for some work, and i thought of speeding up the car till 140-150 km/hr. But to my surprise, the car steering was still till 120 km/hr, but as soon as it crossed 120, the steering started to wobble, and as i reduced the speed till 120, the steering was again still. What could be the Problem?

Last edited:

I keep getting a lot of offers including junk as part of it - club mahindra voucher was useful but i havent used it yet probably might not.

Have you got alloys fitted ? Could be balancing issue and what type of surface was it, concrete surface are inherently badly finished - but the thing is i cant even suggest you to do such speeds in tar roads and report back, drive safe sir!

Hi IR, can you please share when and what you got as a part of Purple Club Membership? Also, Last Sunday, I was driving to Greater Noida for some work, and i thought of speeding up the car till 140-150 km/hr. But to my surprise, the car steering was still till 120 km/hr, but as soon as it crossed 120, the steering started to wobble, and as i reduced the speed till 120, the steering was again still. What could be the Problem?
looks to me like wheel alignment/balancing issue.

Turbo sorry dear iam late to the party .

Congrats for your car . Drive safe and keep updating the thread .

Dear Turbo, Congratulations on your new Cheetah. It really looks mean. Have you named it?

I am getting the feeling that you are more intimidated by the whole "niggle" part of XUV and amidst that you have actually missed the fun of driving the beast and taking snaps. I would suggest you note down your doubts and get it taken care during your first service. So far I don't think you have any troubles to be worried about.

Regarding your problem with high speeds, get the wheel alignment and balancing done. This should solve the problem.

Post more pics man...

Thread Starter #24

Thanks G2, I am enjoying the experience of driving this car. As far as the niggles are concern, I think, I was already expecting them after reading reviews from many Xuv owners. Will get them rectified asap.

For more Snaps, wait a bit more as i am busy with some office work so even working on weekends also [frustration]. Will do the photoshoot asap.

Congratulations for you Cheetah Turbo, it looks stunning in black color.

Congrats Turbo for your Black Thunder, though i am bit late ; but heartily congratulation on purchase of the beast.

XUV is indeed best VFM product, especially for the one who want to enter into SUV segment. A W6 IMHO is sensible buy in number of ways.

Choice of stock OEM alloy wheels completes your W6 to W8 (cosmetically), best part is that you got them at a very decent price. I am still hunting for alloys for my XUV as none of alloys in market impressed me.

What i love about this car:

1) Looks: This is my first car in black colour and I must tell you that black gives it such an aggressive look. Sometimes i even liked it more than Fortuner, Captiva, etc.
On Cons Side : Black is difficult to maintain, sleeve up for this.
2) Smooth Engine: Yesterday I was driving it at 120 km/hr, and it was so smooth that one of my friend even told me that, increase the speed, why are u driving so slow? But when he actually saw the odometer he couldn't believe that we were cruising at 120.
120 KMPH is @ just 2100~2200 RPM, its gem of an engine.
3) Lots of features: Even though its W6, there are lots of features in there, esp, the Cruise Control Feature, and the Start stop feature.
Features list can ashame cars of segment one higher.
4) Fuel Economy: The fuel economy is now increased to 13.2kmpl from 9 kmpl. Till now my car has been driven for only 900 kms.
Why don't you reset your fuel economy at every tank-full? Doing this will show even more accurate fuel economy on carputer.
5) Engine Sound & Vibration: I didn't find too much sound and vibrations once inside the car with windows closed. So in this aspect, considering the size of the car, its very good.
The package of Rs 9999/- which you have taken covers under body treatment too, to certain extent this helps in damps the engine and road noise, hence quieter interiors.
What i Hate:

1) Infrared Sensors: From the day of my purchase, I am facing this problem, the middle bars of IR Sensors Graph shows stop even though there is no one behind. And its generally on the 1st start in the morning. As soon as the Car travels even for 5-6 kms, it works normally. I don't know what to do, because when i went to the showroom on Sunday for the same problem, it was working fine.HELP NEEDED
Now,me too is confused [confused]
2) Tyres: Although i got the Bridgestone tyres, but after 500 kms of driving, my front left hand side tyre got a cut on the side wall. At that time i had got the puncture removed, but i had changed that with the stepny, so I need help, whether the tyre can be replaced in warranty?
If damage on sidewall falls under "manufacturing defect" then your tire will be replaced under warranty, if it is proved as "Physical Damage" then you have to use the tire as "Stepny" ; By the way in Delhi there are couple of tire professionals who can fix a sidewall puncture by way of "Mushroom Puncture" which is around Rs 350/- but it works exceptionally well.
3) The Driver Seat started making sounds of choo-choo., when the car is on uneven roads. The plastic under the seat is making these types of sounds. My car has not even crossed 1000 kms, and these problems have come up so early.
Though this should not happen, buy you can always see if some plastic panel under seat is misfit.
4) Can somebody please send me the zoomed pic of rear glass, as i am in doubt as i think my defogger lines are not appropriate (maybe i could be wrong),
but i need to be sure, as if there is any problem then i can show it to the Executive.
If i am not wrong, you are talking of broken symmetry of lines in rear hatch glass? If it is so ; then do not worry as upper part of those lines works as "Radio Antenna" and lower/bottom part works as " Rear Defogger".

Wish you many happy miles ahead[clap]

Hi Turbo

Came across this post today. many congratulations on your new XUV. Keep us updated,however, the tyre problems etc mentioned soemtimes gives jitters on the quality maintained by manufacturers. At the end of the day it is the customer's luck which play a major role. Happy & safe driving[clap]

Thread Starter #28

Thnaks Mukesh and Ashutosh for your wishes.

Recently, went to Mahindra Service Centre, the guys refused to replace the tyre as they were of the opinion that its a puncture and not a manufacturing defect.[cry]
The Rear sensor was working fine when reached the service centre, but i showed them the video, so they had lowered the bull guard a little bit more, but today morning again when i engaged the Reverse gear it was showing stop stop. I don't know what to do.

Other problem was that the right hand side glass washer was throwing the water right at the wiper not on the glass, but to my surprise the service guy told me that its there in all Xuvs due to placing of the wiper and its not a problem. Can any other Xuv owner confirms this ?

Car has crossed 2000km yesterday. Now 3000 km more before 1st servicing.

Thnaks Mukesh and Ashutosh for your wishes.

Recently, went to Mahindra Service Centre, the guys refused to replace the tyre as they were of the opinion that its a puncture and not a manufacturing defect.[cry]
The Rear sensor was working fine when reached the service centre, but i showed them the video, so they had lowered the bull guard a little bit more, but today morning again when i engaged the Reverse gear it was showing stop stop. I don't know what to do.

Other problem was that the right hand side glass washer was throwing the water right at the wiper not on the glass, but to my surprise the service guy told me that its there in all Xuvs due to placing of the wiper and its not a problem. Can any other Xuv owner confirms this ?

Car has crossed 2000km yesterday. Now 3000 km more before 1st servicing.
I have both the issues you have mentioned , with the Reverse parking sensor and the Wiper nozzle positioned at a wrong point. you have to wash the wind shield manually to avoid getting scratched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry guys I dont quite understand the problem, if the washer is throwing water to an unintended spot, it can be easily changed by using a simple pin and turning it to where you want it to spray - its adjustable.

Top Bottom