My Big Fat American - Chrysler 300S (5.7L Hemi)

Thread Starter #1
It is said that -

If you don't look back at your car after you park it, you've bought the wrong car!

1842880d1548746034t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-8.jpg

~ Prologue ~

I had migrated to Dubai in 2014 and in these 5 years, I had made 3 vehicle purchases (all pre-owned) in the below order -
  • Mitsubishi Lancer GT - 2.0 V4
  • Ford Mustang Premium - 3.6 V6
  • Ford Fusion - 2.5 V4
The Lancer was sold in 2016 and replaced by the Fusion, which is essentially my wife's car.

I used to drive the Mustang for my office commute. Eventually I got bored of it as even the Premium variant was bare bones and devoid of the modern tech and safety features. I casually put it up on sale in the local classifieds not expecting any buyers, but Mustangs are a favourite among many buyers here in the UAE and quickly found a buyer for the price I was looking for. The car was thus sold in December 2018 and my search for a new car began.

I was driving the Fusion in the interim and though it is a very nice car with a very comfortable and peaceful cabin and excellent driving manners, I started missing the power of the Mustang's V6. Overtaking maneuvers had to be planned carefully and was not just a push of the throttle (as the average road speed in Dubai is quite high and the heavy Fusion with 175 bhp simply could not keep up). My wife is a sedate driver and thus is very satisfied with that car!

As always, I was only looking at pre-owned options. My search began with the below list of cars:
  • Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo - Rejected evenutally because I need a V6 or V8
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 - Rejected as V6 did not make sufficient power for that girth and V8 was out of my budget
  • Chevrolet Impala - Came close to buying this car as the interiors were very luxurious and comfortable. But it felt like a grandpa's car and I needed some thing sportier!

But this time I wanted a car which is rare and unique. This was very important to me and I did not mind buying an unpopular car for this very reason. Out of nowhere one day, I was going through the classified and filtered for V8 options in my budget except the Dodge duo and Ford Mustang, I saw this really nice option - a Chrysler 300S with a V8 Hemi. Read a lot of reviews and realized that this car fit the bill, it was rare, had power and was comfortable too. I wanted to have a look at the car and contacted the seller after 4 days, but the car was sold!

But this car grew my interest in Chryslers. I have seen a couple of Chryslers on the road, it is not a popular choice. Most of them were 300C, which looked like an old Bentley! But the 300S sparked my fantasy as the car was totally de-chromed, had delicious alloys and looked smashing in the pictures. So my search for a 300S began. I saw nothing in the classifieds. Visited the local used car market and saw nothing except a 300C.

Then I casually called the local Chrysler dealership to check if they have a used 300S and luckily they had just received a car in stock, a day prior to my call. Immediately went and saw the car and though it was dusty and not cleaned, it looked dope! It was a black 5.7 Hemi 300S Alloy edition (comes with bronze 20" wheels perfectly contrasting the black color).

During my discussions with the dealer, he informed me that the 300S was on sale in the UAE for only 8 months (which explains the non-availability in the used market) and the Alloy Edition was even rarer. Anyways, long story cut short, fixed on the price and the car was delivered to me within 6 working days.

Let me begin with an opening shot of the car under discussion -

What I like:
  • The 5.7 Hemi engine - pulls like a locomotive and sounds sweet!
  • Looks - Looks smashing in black, especially with the matt bronze alloys
  • Infotainment - Easy to use and great touch response
  • Seat comfort - Very accomodating, equipped with Nappa leather
  • Steering feedback - Has adjustable modes, I have set it at Sport (more direct and heavy)
  • Audio - 9 speaker 600W Beats Audio
  • Safety Equipment - Detailed list mentioned below
What I don't like:
  • Handling - Straight line champion, heavy and ponderous around bends!
  • Exhaust note - Sounds good, but muffled inside due to the noise insulation
  • Ride height - Should have been a tad lesser to give it that stance, excessive gap visible between the tyre and wheel arches
  • Rear Seat - Legroom is tight for such a large car, centre tunnel makes it impractical as a 5 seater
~ Let's know the car ~

Specifications:

Engine - 5.7L Hemi V8
Power - 371 hp
Torque - 534 Nm
Transmission - 8 speed automatic
Drivetrain - RWD
Fuel Tank - 70 lts.

0 - 100 kmph - 5.8 seconds

Comfort Features:

Dual zone climate control
Adaptive Cruise Control
Panaromic Roof
Memory seats
Electrically adjustable seats, steering column, pedals and mirrors with memory function
Heated front, rear seats and steering
Heated and cooled cupholders
Electric rear window sunshade
Keyless entry and start
Remote start

Technology Features:

Uconnect touch screen system with 8.4 inch display
Navigation
Beats Audio with 10 speakers

Safety Features:

4 wheel disc brakes with ABS and ESC
Automatic Adaptive Bi-Xenon HID headlights with DRLs
Automatic high beam
Blind Spot indicators with warning beep
Front, curtain, knee and seat-side airbags
Brake Assist
Forward Collision warning with Active Braking
Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist
Front and rear parking sensors
Rear View Camera
Rain Brake Support
Tire Pressure Monitoring system

Thread Starter #2
~ Brief Overview ~

Design

Clean and timeless

I have always been fascinated by muscle cars. I like designs which are squared and clean as I believe such cars look classy and brawny. These cars age well too rather than rounded and curvy designs. The 300S follows this design philosophy. All curves have been replaced by straight lines and 90 degree bends.

It is not a secret that this design was debuted in 2005, essentially making it a 14 year old design in 2019. But the design still looks clean and turns heads on the road, which is not a small feat on supercar jammed Dubai roads. This emphasizes my point made above regarding the timeless design of this car.

The second generation 300 was launched in 2011 and the 300S was launched in 2016. The sport themed 300S featured black treatment for grille and headlamps, 20-inch wheels, 10-speaker Beats audio and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. My car - the 300S Alloy edition featured dark bronze 20" wheels, titanium exhaust tips, as well as gloss-black window, headlight and taillight accents.

The most common compliment I have received for this car's styling is that - "the car looks gangsta!".

Performance
Point and Shoot!

The 300 is not a nimble car by any means. At 1.8 tonnes, it is heavier than the Innova Crysta!

But the 5.7 Hemi has more than enough grunt to pull this elephant. This is quite an old school engine. While most competitors make upward of 400 bhp with 5.0 engines, this engine is quite low on power but is right up there with the torque numbers. Standstill to 100 kmph can be done with a claimed 5.8 seconds. Not sports car level, but then this isn't one.

This car is more about effortless and comfortable cruising, knowing that you would have enough power to overtake slower traffic. The charm of this old school V8 is the angry growl it makes when you even give it half throttle. A very subtle but deep bassy note engulfs the cabin and that is enough to make any petrolhead adult giggle like a baby!

Handling
Heavy, but surefooted

As mentioned above, this is not a Nissan 370Z or even a Ford Mustang. This car is heavy and it feels that way when you take fast corners. It never feels agile, but at the same time, the handling is very tight and the car keeps it's steady line even in tight corners. There is not a lot of body roll too, thanks to the stiffened springs in the 300S.

Steering feedback is spot on. I dislike light steerings and this car has the option to choose between Normal, Comfort and Sport. Needless to say, my default setting is Sport and the steering feel is very direct, quick and firm.

Ride Quality
Firm, but pliant and quiet

The 300 has a very comfortable ride at high speeds. The suspension does it's job very quietly too. But the 300S has 20" wheels and a firmer suspension setup and hence harsh bumps can be felt at low speeds.

I will happily accept this as a trade off to lesser body roll and surefooted handling.

Cabin Comfort
Mix of luxury and sportiness

The seats are made to accommodate for well built people like me! They are covered in Nappa leather and feels extremely comfortable. The A/C is a chiller and cools the cabin in no time, even with the panaromic roof shade open.

Outside noise suppression is excellent and the general NVH control of the car is amazingly well controlled. If you cruise without a heavy foot, this can be as comfortable as a full size luxury sedan. My friend has a Mercedes C and dare I say, this cabin feels more refined than the Merc.

The downside is the rear seat legroom. For such a large car, I do not understand how they could not package enough knee room for atleast two people in the back seat. If the front driver's seat is in my position (I am 6'2"), I cannot sit behind myself comfortably. My Fusion with a smaller footprint has more space in the back. This is something the Americans needs to learn from the Japs.

Comfort and Safety Features
Has everything and more!

Since I have listed out all the features already, I will just brief some of the ones which I appreciate the most -

Adaptive Cruise Control - A boon on Dubai Freeways, especially if you are not in a hurry. Keeps a safe distance from the car in front and can even bring the car to a complete halt if the car in front stops. You can use this feature in heavy traffic too since the car will automatically move and stop based on car in front of you. So basically, no driver intervention is needed in heavy traffic, except controlling the steering!

Lane Sense and Lane Keep Assist - I initially thought this feature would only warn you if the drift the car out of your lane without using the indicators. Later I learnt that this would even steer the car automatically to keep it in the middle of the lane. So theoretically, I can drive this car from Dubai to Abu Dhabi on the freeway using Lane Sense and Adaptive Cruise, with no feedback from my side. No, I have not tried it!

Electric rear blinds - Nothing fancy, it is just an electric sunshade for the rear glass, but it is something which I expected only in luxury cars. It can be controlled through the touch screen. Goes down automatically when you select reverse.

Blind Spot Indicators - There is something wrong with the driver side RVM in American cars. My Mustang, Fusion and now the 300S all have this issue - it creates a huge blind spot and you just cannot see a car driving parallel to you in your adjacent lane! Sometimes it is very alarming and it is dangerous to change lanes without a head check. Thankfully, the 300S has integrated blind spot warning in the mirrors and the car will even beep if you turn on the indicator when the blind spot warning is on. Makes it a tad safer and reassuring to change lanes!

Power Adjustable Pedals - This is something unique which I have not observed in many cars, including the luxury ones. Both the brake and the throttle pedals are electrically adjustable.

10 speaker Beats Audio - 4 speakers on the doors, 2 tweeters on the front doors, 3 speakers on the dash and a subwoofer in the boot. This is one of the better audio systems I have experienced in a car. It is very bass heavy, but you can tone it down using the equalizer. Vocal and clean and crisp and the bass is tight, not boomy. Doors are heavy and well insulated and hence does not produce vibrations even at full blast.

Is there something I miss? Yes. Android Auto. But it has been added in the newer models and hence I cannot complain. Yes, the maps are outdated too. Some new roads are not updated and in general, GMaps does a better job, but it can be helpful if you do not have network or data and need to reach home without getting lost!

Build and Quality
It's an American!

Everything about this car feels heavy, right from the doors to the panels to the controls. The doors make the most reassuring thud when you close it, better than my Ford. It also cocoons you from the outside world.

However, plastic quality is mediocre in some places. The top of the dash looks rubbish and even the centre console. Even some of the switches do not feel tactile, in fact feels plasticky. Thankfully, the touch places like steering, centre arm rest, arm rest on the doors, etc. are covered in high quality leather. Even the gear lever feels high quality aluminum.

How is it to drive?
It's an American!

Excellent.

As mentioned above, this is not a sports car which can take hair pin bends with ease. This is a cruiser with a mad motor!

The torque of the engine, the steering feedback, the engine note, lack of NVH and the overall cabin comfort makes this a comfortable car, which presents you with mad acceleration at the flex of your right foot.

Cold starts are exciting! Every morning I stand behind the car and use the key to remote start the car, just to hear the melodious V8! Since my car is parked in the basement, the sound is amplified and gives me goosebumps. It is not excessively loud though, which goes with the character of the car. In my humble opinion, a loud exhaust note sounds great for short bursts, but the drone can be maddening over long highway rides at a steady rpm. As of now, the Hemi subtly makes it presence felt with a deep growl (in an otherwise very refined cabin) when you accelerate.

I would have surely preferred a more supple ride, but then I know it would roll around the corners and make the power unusable.

Fuel Economy !
The "Kitna Deti Hain" question

Never expected the car to be economical with fuel when I got a 5.7 Hemi. But I must admit that the car has not left me petrified with fuel bills.

The Hemi has cylinder de-activation tech, which essentially cuts off 4 cylinders of you are cruising on a highway or driving at a relaxed pace.

The best I have managed till now is 8.8 kmpl and the worst is 6.2 kmpl.

On an average, within the city, I am averaging at 7.5 kmpl. Coupled with the low fuel costs in the UAE, this should not give me sleepless nights.

How is the ownership experience ?
Exquisite!

Many have told me that you could have bought a BMW 3 or Audi A4 or a Merc C for the same price. That is the whole point! I did not wish to have a default selection car. Also, the German trio wont have the stonker engine that I have now. They will not have half the comfort and safety features that I have. This car is also a size bigger.

Of course, the Germans have more brand value and maybe would fetch better resale value.

Since I got the car from the official dealership, I have 3 years of warranty left which can be extended by 2 more years. Of course, I have to stick to the dealership for all the services, which will not be cheap. While buying the car, I was promised that the service costs will be around 12,600 INR on an average (which is reasonable if true). Only the 100K service will be expensive at 19,000 INR, since it involves A/T gear oil change. I do have a service contract which is valid for two more services and I can choose to renew it or pay for individual services later. I will decide that later based on the pricing & value proposition of the service contract.

Thread Starter #3
History lesson​

1955 was the year when Chrysler introduced the 300. The idea was to create a high-performance 4-seater.

1842084d1548599054t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-chrysler3001.jpg

The name "300" was derived from the 5.4-liter HEMI “Firepower” V8 that produced 300 horsepower.

A year later, the 300 got upgraded to 300B with 355 bhp.

Year after year, Chrysler updated the 300, but the major design change happened in 1999 with the 300M.

1842085d1548599360t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-chrysler30027.jpg

However, the design language of my car resembles the model launched in 2005. This model was more in line with the philosophies of the original 1955 300. While all competitors were FWD, the new 300 had RWD. More importantly, it has a 345-horsepower HEMI V8.

1842660d1548676736t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-1.jpg

The above model was eventually refined and developed into the car which I drive today. Quite an oldie!

1842662d1548677123t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-2016chrysler300salloyedition3.jpg

Thread Starter #4
~ Picture Time ~

1842890d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-main-2.jpg

The large grille along with the slim headlights gives the front end a unique character. Notice how un-apologetically non-streamlined this brute machine is!

1842882d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-1.jpg

The car looks absolutely smashing in black. This was the first picture taken on the delivery day.

1842881d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-alloys.jpg

Matt bronze alloys is OE fitment on the 300S Alloy Edition. It contrasts amazingly well on the black car.

1842889d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-main-1.jpg

The rear also retain the boxy shape with squared tail lamps.

1842885d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-4.jpg

Almost an American muscle with a long hood and short stubby boot.

1842886d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-6.jpg

Bright white HID lights on a black car looks ravishing in dark.

1842887d1548746251t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-car-7.jpg

Tail lamps have an outer ring, which looks classy. Brake lights and turn indicators light up the inner portion.​

Thread Starter #5
~ Other Points ~

1842902d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-dash.jpg

Pic Credit : Google
The dash is simple, but functional. Quality is not great but most of the touch points are covered in good quality leather.

1842899d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-cluster.jpg

The instrument cluster looks exceptionally good when lit.
Has a lot of customization options - the four corners can be individually set to display whatever information you need.
The middle of the screen can also be customized to show a digital speedometer, along with other useful information like TPMS, Fuel Efficiency, Trip computer, etc.

1842898d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-cluster-navi.jpg

Cluster also shows navigation when in use.

1842896d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-centre-console.jpg

Analog clock at the top is a classy touch. The clock can be customized to display in two other locations - top of infotainment screen and also the instrument cluster!
The 8" touchscreen is very easy to use and very responsive to inputs.
You can also notice the 4 switches for Lane Sense Assist, Forward Collision Warning, Traction control and Parking Sensors.

1842901d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-cupholders.jpg

1842907d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-heated-cooled-cupholders.jpg

The cupholders are heated or cooled. Lights up in red to show heated or blue to show cooled.

1842900d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-cruise-control.jpg

Controls for cruise. The lower 3 buttons activate adaptive cruise control and regulate the following distance.

1842905d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-handsfree.jpg

Controls for telephone and to navigate the 7" info screen in the cluster.

1842904d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-gear-knob.jpg

Gear knob is a rotary unit and is very easy to use.

1842906d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-headlight-control.jpg

The headlight control along with intensity adjustments for cluster and mood lighting brightness. The boot release switch can also be seen here.

1842908d1548747734-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-seats.jpg

300S comes with black Nappa leather seats with contrast stitching.

1842910d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-steering.jpg

Steering material is good quality. Steering feedback in Sport mode is direct and precise.

1842911d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-sunroof-controls.jpg

Controls for the panaromic sunroof and shade. Also the ambient light can be seen here.

1842912d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-tpms.jpg

Instrument controls show a lot of details, show here is the TPMS.

1842903d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-door-handle.jpg

Door handles are chunky and finished in good quality aluminium. It is backlit as well.

1842909d1548747734t-my-big-fat-american-chrysler-300s-5-7l-hemi-speedo-120.jpg

Enjoying the freeway - just what the car is built for!

~ THE END ~

Top Bottom