My Berry Devil: Tata Tiago XZ Diesel Ownership Review (5th Service Update)

Thread Starter #181
Re: My Berry Devil: Tata Tiago XZ Diesel Ownership Review (3rd Service Update)

In that case do you need to change the whole fog lamp unit ?
Maybe not. The mechanic was quite confident about breaking the bulb and removing it without harming the fog lamp housing.

Gautam Ji,

Have read all your post regarding your ownership experience regarding your Tiago Diesel. I'm considering this vehicle for my wife who drives 90 KM daily. Also listed down Freestyle Ambient model but since it's the base variant, I'm more lean towards Tiago XZ.

However, after reading your experience, I'm now highly doubtful if I should even opt for Tiago. My main focus is safety, mileage and VFM. I've also read somewhere in another forum that Tata has quietly re-engineered the 2018 Tiago based on the customers feedback. Don't know if this is true.

What would you suggest? I've subscribed to this thread and would like to know more about the vehicle.

Best Regards
Gurpreet

Thread Starter #183

Gautam Ji,
Also listed down Freestyle Ambient model but since it's the base variant, I'm more lean towards Tiago XZ.
Thank you Sirji for kind words.
If one is on tight budget, then Tiago XZ is the best car you can buy. Perfect blend of features and quality. Yes, keeping in mind the segment it belongs to, quality is good enough. Also as far as my list of issues goes, except engine mount issues (which seems to be alright now, hopefully) rest I don’t feel is anything to worry about. Also my sister loves the active return function and light clutch on the car.

My verdict :
If you are satisfied with the way Tiago performs, and prefer to cruise on highways, then go ahead with it. But if you are looking for performance and loads of highway driving (triple digit speeds), get FreeStyle. Have heard Ford’s 1.5L TDCi to be fun and frugal.
Will still request you to have long TD of both cars back to back and then decide.

Last edited:

Thank you Sirji for kind words.
If one is on tight budget, then Tiago XZ is the best car you can buy. Perfect blend of features and quality. Yes, keeping in mind the segment it belongs to, quality is good enough.
Thank you Gautam Ji for the heads up. Will definitely try to take a test drive back to back to know more about the vehicle, though it belongs to different category all together and the engine of Freestyle is much punchier than the Tiago, however, the real world test drive can actually reveal more.

Will look forward to hear more about your vehicle performance.

Thread Starter #185

Will look forward to hear more about your vehicle performance.
Your Welcome Sir.

Small Accident

My sis had rear ended WagonR around 50 kmph which reduced to 30 kmph after hit. Though she was unable to see any physical damages on WagonR, our Tiago was left with bad dent and misaligned bonnet. TASC quoted ₹4300 and Local Garage quoted ₹3000. Might get it done from outside, as I am not satisfied with paint quality of TASC.

02BCAEAA-0160-48FE-9CDA-ECFE33B6CD60.jpeg

Second Major Service

Car is due for service, have taken appointment for 14th of this month, will update accordingly. For fuller utilisation of Gold AMC, in talks for replacement of Brake Discs and Brake Pads, fingers crossed :stupid: . Also if we get a green signal, might take 4 years P2P, though we can take benefit of it for only 2 years.

Third Year Insurance

Insurance is due for next month, requested for callback from TASC for quotation. To me the quotation seems good enough, open to suggestions [:)]

ACB95647-BD26-41DA-AA1C-8DC5358A696A.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #186

5th Service/2nd Major Service

Car was due for the second major service so got it done. Car have completed 500 km approx after the service and it feels smooth.
Complaints :-
- 5th Service :stupid:
- Rear Wiper Blade
- Rattles
- Underbody Noise
- HU dead (happened while going to TASC)
- Steering Wheel showing signs of uneven wear. No one in my family drives with hands at 8 and 6 o' clock

Underbody Noise was noticed because of loose link rod and C-Mount going kaput, c-mount is yet to be replaced. Steering was replaced with 2018 version, looks better but old one felt soft and slightly thick. HU getting dead was due to weak battery, test result showed to replace battery.

TASC offered me sandwich (even after denying) and a packet of crunchy edible stuff. Done with 2 visits but will need one or two more. Failed to purchase P2P because standard warranty was expired two day back.

Cost :-
Greasing - ₹274
Weights - ₹245 (assuming, I still haven’t paid)

Old Steering
image1 (2).jpeg

New Steering
image2 (1).jpeg

Battery Test Report
image1 (3).jpeg

New Battery

So after visiting TASC, it was to go straight to Battery Shop. Bought Exide Mileage 60 Ah (stock is 56 Ah) battery which comes with first and second year guarantee and third and fourth year warranty. The red colored battery does go well with car :lol!:

New Battery Cost - ₹7900
Buyback of old battery - ₹1000

New Battery is taller and less wider
image1 (1).jpeg

Tyres Replaced

While WB was being done, the guy asked me how much kilometers have I clocked as the 2 tyres were completely gone, rest two tyres had slight amount of life left. Stock tyres were GoodYear Assurance 175/65 R14. Completed approx 17000 km (precisely 16,958 km) thanks to wheel spins.

After expiry of Gold AMC, my itch was to get 15” but failed to fulfill it because :-
1) 185/55 R15 will be proper upgrade without hindering technically. But this size is very uncommon, and wasn’t available.
2) 195/55 R15, though available felt overkill to me.
3) 185/65 R14 have cases of rubbing under complete load.
4) 185/60 R14 is uncommon and expensive. Also Prabhagar bro’s local guy voted against it upon checking.

So, after all this I ended up getting Michelin Enery XM2 in stock size (175/65 R14).
Per Tyre - ₹4800
Buyback of old tyre - ₹250 (per tyre)

New Shoes
image2.jpeg

Manufacturing: 16th week of 2018
image1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #189
Meeting with Tata Staff :-
Had attended meeting with Tata Staff on 16th October, 2018 i.e. exactly after 2 years from delivery date. I would it was impressive, they apologised and promised to look into this matter and provide permanent solution to me. Also verbally mentioned that if it happens again they’ll make sure to replace it under goodwill even if car is out of warranty, they surely deserve brownie points. They replaced A Mount and C Mount (advanced mount, according to them), no issues were found in B Mount. Car was delivered by evening and was promised they’ll contact after a month for feedback, no such feedback taken as of now. Anyways, car hasn’t clocked much and now it feels vibes and knocking is sometimes noticeable, will give it more time [:)]

ICE Addition :-
Frankly wasn’t much impressed by Harman speakers in Tiago, ofcourse agreed that it’s best in it’s segment but it still had room for more. So added few speakers, amp and sub which were lying at home from our previous car [:D]. So the list goes :
Stock :-
Harman 4 speakers
Harman 6 Tweeters
Addition :-
Sony Xplod Amp (4 channel 1000W)
Infinity Speakers (2 - 300W)
SoundStream Sub (350W IIRC)

Spent ₹2000 for :-
1) Labour - ₹500
2) Connector - ₹500 (for amp)
3) Wires - ₹1000

5AA76E4E-516D-4ACE-88A7-52EA8F754EFD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #191
Do you mind posting a picture how the OEM HU is connected to the Amp via connector and wiring done ?
Sirji, don’t have WIP pics but wires were sliced. As per TASC car is out of warranty for ICE (atleast the speakers) so doesn’t matter to me. Additionally had a word with fitment guy who works for TASC and he said wires are sliced.

Thread Starter #192
Update:

Car has been going good enough but the rattles and noisy suspensions are really troubling me.
FE has been good, last tankful returned 11.4 kmpl which is good enough for the conditions we have driven this car.
Music upgrade still isn’t able to satisfy my wants.
Perfect recipe to upgrade? Indeed yes, but the dismal resale value is holding us back. During Tiago JTP TD, Concorde Motors quoted just ₹2,60,000 for this car.
Do you think Tiago can be a good project car? But not able to find any brake upgrades for it, which for me is much needed. On third party website too, not able to get good offers, I have been getting anywhere between ₹4,00,000 - ₹4,30,000 offers but that’s too much depreciation hit for us. Keeping in mind only bumpers are in okay condition.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #195
That's abrupt. What happened?
BTW congrats on the ecosports!
Nothing major Sir, but then felt it’s perfect time to sell and grab good deal on the car, also dad got pampered with our Rapid so engine was a bit downfall. But anyhow, this will still remain in our mind and is still one of the best in segment in my personal opinion.
Thank you Sirji.

Top Bottom