My Bedford J4 (1961) Powered By Perkins P6 Engine

Wholaaa Its like Beauty i agree with you buddy Vitamin "M" Always matter. then just take a note what would you need for the truck. I mean List the part then price ,what is priority. i want to say drive the truck like daily car . if there is problem then solve that first.Make A Excel Sheet do need and do not Need. List

Priority List (in My Opinion)

1.Technical (Transmission, Gearbox,Steering,Wiring ,Etc)
2.Chechis observation (old vehicle must carry Rust,paint the Anti-rust paint )
3.Truck Body And Trailer Building
4.Tyres
5.Note Most important Put the Fuel Guard And Battery (both Are Naked now)
6.Collect Some Useful Part from Donor Vehicle (in modern automotive Called Moneymaking and cost-cutting [lol])

By the Don`t Call Me Sir I`m Just your Age 24.

Last edited:
wow!!! this is going to be one novel thread.first of all congrats on your new acquisition. it would have been like an old hindi movie, with the beti going away to sasural , with you taking the vehicle from the old couple. feel very much moved[cry] by their love for their vehicle which i feel had become a member of their family. i feel the vehicle has passed on to a nice sasural and will live happily ever after[clap].i never had any close contacts with heavy vehicles except when we were kids when bedfords , fargos and tata lorrys were parked by the roadside & we used to ogle at them and claiming that the best looking ones belonged to my father[;)]

Thread Starter #18
Wholaaa Its like Beauty i agree with you buddy Vitamin "M" Always matter. then just take a note what would you need for the truck. I mean List the part then price ,what is priority. i want to say drive the truck like daily car . if there is problem then solve that first.Make A Excel Sheet do need and do not Need. List

Priority List (in My Opinion)
Hello friend !
Everything will be done during restoration so don't worry about it [cheers]
I'll keep posting pics once the work starts.
Cheers !

wow!!! this is going to be one novel thread.first of all congrats on your new acquisition. it would have been like an old hindi movie, with the beti going away to sasural , with you taking the vehicle from the old couple.
Thank you brother & Yes it was a hard time for all of us [shock]
Regards : Abhishek

Thread Starter #22
Hello !
As it won't be hauling goods anymore, We've decided to make simple platform on it.
I will post pics after few days, wooden cabin work is in progress and hopefully will be completed in a month, We are not in hurry to finish the job and carpenter is also busy in building cabin for other tata trucks so he is working on bedford when he gets time from his main work.
Thinking about replacing housing and front axle with latest one just to improve braking system. ( we all know how poor those oil brake are [frustration] )
Hoping to see it back on roads in october.
: Abhishek

Indeed a new thing compared to other.Decades back this truck along with the Premier Roadmaster aka the Fargo was in head on competition with Benz trucks manufactured by the Tata's.Leyland was there too.And here in Bangalore hell lot of Bedford trucks included in the fleet of Karnataka Electricity Board and our City Corporation,along with the Karnataka Police Department.Restoration will not be problem anyway.
Carry on.

Wow! Restoring a 50+yrs old car itself is a mamoth task, no words to explain how tough its to restore a truck! By the looks of it, you will need a talented tinker to bring it back in shape. I feel total expense will overshooot 2lakhs easily, apart from tyres, battery, buying cost.

Not discouraging you at all in anyway, its just I am still thinking what purpose are you restoring it for. Because unlike car / scooter/ bike - this is a truck, you got to have huge parking space (covered preferable), ample money to keep it running and ofcourse a good driver ready to flex his muscle on that steering.

Few hard facts when restoring big/ old vehicles:
- Most of the time even when fuly restored they serve best as a weekend leisure drive and not a daily runner.
- Unless you have something to do with transport industry or if you own trucks already then YEAH, GO FOR IT!

All the best, keep us posted & we will do everything possible to support you.
Cheers.

Thread Starter #25
Abhishek K,

I've forwarded your restoration efforts to various, influential classic car oriented minds (including yours truly! [lol]).

These trucks were just superb- Have had my own tryst with them, but let's save that for another post, shall we?
Hello sir, Thank you for sharing it !
Yes these were awesome machines, we had more of them in past but have only 2 now

Regards,
Abhishek Kushte

Indeed a new thing compared to other.Decades back this truck along with the Premier Roadmaster aka the Fargo was in head on competition with Benz trucks manufactured by the Tata's.Leyland was there too.And here in Bangalore hell lot of Bedford trucks included in the fleet of Karnataka Electricity Board and our City Corporation,along with the Karnataka Police Department.Restoration will not be problem anyway.
Carry on.
Hello sir,
Can you please check & tell me if any steel cabin for bedford is available at your place?
We have another Bedford & I've been planning to build a rat rod on the other one but never found a steel cabin for it, rat rod with our traditional wooden cabin will be the worst idea [frustration]
Let me know if you find any cabin
Thank you !

Regards,
Abhishek Kushte

Wow! Restoring a 50+yrs old car itself is a mamoth task, no words to explain how tough its to restore a truck! By the looks of it, you will need a talented tinker to bring it back in shape. I feel total expense will overshooot 2lakhs easily, apart from tyres, battery, buying cost.

Not discouraging you at all in anyway, its just I am still thinking what purpose are you restoring it for. Because unlike car / scooter/ bike - this is a truck, you got to have huge parking space (covered preferable), ample money to keep it running and ofcourse a good driver ready to flex his muscle on that steering.

Few hard facts when restoring big/ old vehicles:
- Most of the time even when fuly restored they serve best as a weekend leisure drive and not a daily runner.
- Unless you have something to do with transport industry or if you own trucks already then YEAH, GO FOR IT!

All the best, keep us posted & we will do everything possible to support you.
Cheers.
Hello sir,
Yes sir we do have trucks, and back in 60's when my grandpa(being a truck driver) took risk & bought a truck, it was a Bedford & that's why we want to keep one with us forever [;)]
Never forget where it all started !
Steering is not that hard, The hardest things of this truck are
1) Stopping it before hitting someone : as it comes with poorest oil brake system&
2) Gear shifting : as its all about Double clutching, my uncle & dad drives it like a boss as double clutching is in their blood. Together they've built up all this empire from scratch with the help of Bedfords & TMBs that we had in past.
We do have a good amount of parking space, Current vehicle count parked around home is 15+ which includes Trucks & Tankers, 4 Wheelers (Indigo, 137D, Commander 650 DI & 1.38D) & 2 Wheelers (Chetak & Lamby 150 with Many new gen Mopeds & Bikes) and there is free space where at least more 5 trucks can be parked.

Regards,
Abhishek Kushte

bhvm

Honoured Member
your parking space is no less than an art gallery.
lambretta, Mahindra jeeps. yun yum.

what's the status of truck restoration bro?
I hope you fill those 5 vacant slots too!

Thread Starter #27
your parking space is no less than an art gallery.
lambretta, Mahindra jeeps. yun yum.

what's the status of truck restoration bro?
I hope you fill those 5 vacant slots too!
Cabin work is done & its waiting for brakes overhaul & paint job
Brake wheel cylinder kits have arrived from Bangalore few months back but our Mechanic has no time to visit the place and fix the brakes, till the time it will be standing on same place because driving such rig with failed brakes is stupid
Once its done, it will be moved to painters workshop.
Rest of the body will be removed before going for paint, Wooden flatbed will be there instead of full body & hood shortly
Yes sir I'd love to fill those slots with a TMB, Fargo, Premier Roadmaster, Ford F series & Tata 807(Personal Favorite) but this time with own earnings [:)]
Thank you

Regards,
Abhishek Kushte

edit1.jpg

Top Bottom