My Bedford J4 (1961) Powered By Perkins P6 Engine

Thread Starter #3
Re: Indian Auto Industry - History & Timeline

Sure sir !
I will create a separate thread about it shortly !
It was bought by first owner way back in 1961, its Bedford J4 powered with Perkins P6 engine & Registered in 1962 after building body & cabin.
Single owner truck with all original parts, damn we're so lucky to get such an awesome machine !
I'll post fresh pics as soon as i finish wiper motor repairing and install left side wiper bush so that it will looks awesome ! it have wipers like landmaster :biggrin:

350Z

Core Team

Sure sir !
It was bought by first owner way back in 1961, its Bedford J4 powered with Perkins P6 engine & Registered in 1962 after building body & cabin.
Single owner truck with all original parts, damn we're so lucky to get such an awesome machine !
I'll post fresh pics as soon as i finish wiper motor repairing and install left side wiper bush so that it will looks awesome ! it have wipers like landmaster :biggrin:
You're lucky indeed. How much did you buy it for? Looking forward to more pictures.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Sure sir !
Congrats for your acquisition Abhi, that's really great of you to buy this vintage wonder, and hearing the original parts are music to my ears which means you are extremely lucky to have acquired this machine.

BTW are you in the transport industry or in that venture? Are you planning to use for business?

This sure calls for a separate ownership cum restoration thread, please upload some more photos, the interiors if you can. [:)]

Oh ! ! Man Look at this Truck ! Still Like New Nice catch and and single owner[clap].So Whats your plan body Some paint work and Buddy Work any plan to some restore .What about the Specification.i mean About Engine and Load Carriaer.post some interior post and Exterior also

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
You're lucky indeed. How much did you buy it for? Looking forward to more pictures.

Drive Safe,
350Z
We bought it for 79 thousand rupees, grandpa was asking in Lac's for it firstly but then we told them about condition, only 4 tyres on truck that too all are totally flat, no battery, needs complete wooden work + paint job, then they realized the state of their beloved truck
also another big thing is that we paid the 17k insurance and couriered it to their address, after that they took noc and we bought it. so it 79 + 17 = 96k and take more 75k for 6 new 8.25 size tyres and approx 6k for new battery so it will almost cost 2L once it finished all work that needs to be done
yes i will post pics sir actually my schedule is very very tight 8am-6pm college then extra classes, assignments, projects and all ! hush ! i assure that i will post them on the upcoming sunday :)
another thing is that it was parked in their farm and as it had only 4 tyres that too flat it wasn't getting out of mud there, so it was towed by tractor to make it on road ! that was best and worst day of my life [ or maybe our family's life ] , Grandpa [ previous owner ], Grandma, and their sons, grandsons all of them broke down into tears while giving it away & also the other grandpa who was there to write bond in the village cried while writing statements on bond paper [cry] , 50-50 day ! happiness because of bedford coming home and sadness because of watching such aged human beings crying and saying bye bye to their beloved truck who served them for 53 years, they told us that they've lived their half life in this trucks cabin loading and unloading cargos everywhere, they bought few vehicles due to bedford, they told us many things like their family is big and everyone got married, bought acres of farm & everything that they have right now just because of this truck, the very very last statement that they spoke was " MAZI LAXMI GHEUN JAT AHAT, SAMBHALUN VAPRA ANI KAHI ADCHAN ALI TAR MALA PHONE KARA ME APLYA GADI CHA SEVE SATHI KADHI HI HAJAR RAHIN" [ hamari laxmi le ke ja rahe ho, sambhal ke jao aur kuch problem hua ya koi madad chahiye rahegi to bezijag mujhe call karna mai apne gadi ke liye kab bhi kahi bhi aa jaunga ] .
Really HATS OFF TO THEIR TRUE LOVE :(
They still call me/dad twice daily & ask about 5895 ! emotional moments of my life, i will never forget that day !
by the way i had captured moments when it was towed to tractor to get it out of their farm i will upload that video too !

Congrats for your acquisition Abhi, that's really great of you to buy this vintage wonder, and hearing the original parts are music to my ears which means you are extremely lucky to have acquired this machine.

BTW are you in the transport industry or in that venture? Are you planning to use for business?

This sure calls for a separate ownership cum restoration thread, please upload some more photos, the interiors if you can. [:)]
We have transport business and water tankers sir
It all started with a Bedford truck MHL 1072 which was bought by my grandpa for some 42k when my dad was studying in school
then few tata mercedes benz's like MHL 3299, MRT 1757, few bedfords like MHL 1072 [ very first one ], MHL 1597, MHL 1014, BYX 5859, BYX 5895 [ this one ], Tata 1210's like MWT 9199, MWT 9162, MWT 9081, and 1613 Turbos, 1612's, 3118c & list goes on !
unstoppable till now [:D]

Oh ! ! Man Look at this Truck ! Still Like New Nice catch and and single owner[clap].So Whats your plan body Some paint work and Buddy Work any plan to some restore .What about the Specification.i mean About Engine and Load Couriaer.post some interior post and Exterior also
Restoration is a tough job, have found an uncle [ almost 60 of age ] who used to work on bedford, dodge, studebaker & chevy n old TMB trucks, restoration will be done for sure but not right now, maybe after some weeks or in diwali.. lets see !
wait for couple of days i will post pics here with specification and pics from all the angles.
Regards : Abhishek

Last edited:
You are lucky, when i was a kid, mama used to sat me on the windows sill while feeding me rice and curry and mostly these BedFords used to come along and then only i would open my mouth to take a mouthful of rice!
I'll never forget the truck

What an awesome thread!
Many congrats for the legend's homecoming. I am looking forward to more pictures. I never got a chance explore these heavy machine which is why I am hoping that this is going to be kind of a tutorial thread for me.
What color scheme do are you planning? Any interior mods or ITE (In Truck Entertainment) !

Thread Starter #11

Drive Safe,
350Z

Oh ! ! Man Look at this Truck ! Still Like New Nice catch and and single owner[clap].So Whats your plan body Some paint work and Buddy Work any plan to some restore .What about the Specification.i mean About Engine and Load Carriaer.post some interior post and Exterior also
What an awesome thread!
Many congrats for the legend's homecoming. I am looking forward to more pictures. I never got a chance explore these heavy machine which is why I am hoping that this is going to be kind of a tutorial thread for me.
What color scheme do are you planning? Any interior mods or ITE (In Truck Entertainment) !
Hi,
Nice to see a old commercial vehicles on boarding the forum.
Kindly post some of the engine bay and interior arrangements.
As i promised earlier i'm here with some fresh snaps !
Engine bay pics, Powerhouse, Dash & interiors, Exteriors with image of original Fuel tank, extra wheels, headlights, taillights, housing etc [ dont go on that T, thats just a white radium while housing is still original ]
It had something called as counter signature, it was allowed to cross MH-KA boundary till a specific region, i've attached a pic of counter signature board too ! i've no idea about counter signature and all but uncle told me counter signature system was there that time, dont know if its still there or not
Check them all & Have a happy Sunday !
DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

IMG_20140803_163835.jpg

IMG_20140803_164139_5.jpg

IMG_20140803_164213.jpg

IMG_20140803_164354.jpg

IMG_20140803_164433.jpg

IMG_20140803_164455.jpg

IMG_20140803_164544.jpg

IMG_20140803_164632.jpg

IMG_20140803_164651.jpg

IMG_20140803_164701.jpg

IMG_20140803_164711.jpg

IMG_20140803_164822.jpg

IMG_20140803_164839.jpg

IMG_20140803_165001.jpg

IMG_20140803_165140.jpg

IMG_20140803_165239.jpg

IMG_20140803_165201.jpg

IMG_20140803_165256.jpg

IMG_20140803_165310.jpg

IMG_20140803_165353.jpg

IMG_20140803_165404.jpg

Hello Thank you providing the pictures

here is my review

1.Body And Load trailer is very good condition compare to 1961 vehicle
2.in my opinion Engine is also in Good Condition i think you have to service or overhaul.
3. see the gauges need some work in my say some lighting put the led on it.
4.Wood work Complete gone .if you going for that part of restoration put the first base as Iron.
5. IF you are going for repaint the cabin then go For sandblasting it completely remove the rust
6. its commercial vehicle i know as possible as using LED for lights .Because of low consuming battery.

7.most Important for you the parts i find some link for u here it is

Bedford J4, Bedford J4 Products, Bedford J4 Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

Note: please Ignore my mistaken poor English. [cry]Have happy And Safe Ride

[:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Hello Indian_Mustang sir
First of all Thank you for the links !
Engine work is done year back, new crank and complete work was done by previous owner.
After engine work it didn't ran much as it was in NON-USE since 1 January 2014.
One more thing is we have another same model bedford so it can be donor vehicle which was in daily use till 2003-04, its rotting away at our garage
It is BYX 5859 while the new one is BYX 5895 [cheers]
This new one will be restored to mint condition when my dad will have enough extra fund to spend on it !
Yes I'm searching for someone who can repair the instrument cluster ! money wont matter i just need it to be working perfectly !
here are few pics of our old BYX 5859 which is rotting away at our garage

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

I have also attached a pic of me posing in front of 5895 when we heard a bedford is for sale and went to check it for the first time, and a very last pic of previous owner [ Grandpa & Grandma ], just before they broke down into tears !

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Top Bottom