My All-New Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire ZDi (AGS): Ownership Review

Maruti dealers service guys are just minting more money these days. Went for 70k service recently and while giving the car when asked i just told that clutch looks bit hard and the steering too. By afternoon I receive a call from workshop where one guy say that clutch plates need a replacement and it will cost me some 11000, and one more guy calls me and tell me that i need to change some steering rack it will cost me 7000, i was surprised and annoyed that the clutchplates were replaced 15k km back and felt something is fishy. Told them not attend both the issues and finish the service and give it back still it costed me some 7000 without having any issues and there was some surprising charge called PMS rs.1700 and after receiving the vehicle I took it to my friends workshop and given it to a senior mechanic for a test ride he went and came back and told me everything just awesome no issues with clutch or steering. I really got angry and wrote to Maruti guys directly and after that dealer manager spoke to me and apologizes for wrong recommendations given by their workshop people.
I have decided not to to MASS anymore in future for sure and get the service done at my friends place now on. After free service schedule they really mint money like hell so beware for this guys.

Thread Starter #107
Maruti dealers service guys are just minting more money these days. Went for 70k service recently and while giving the car when asked i just told that clutch looks bit hard and the steering too. By afternoon I receive a call from workshop where one guy say that clutch plates need a replacement and it will cost me some 11000, and one more guy calls me and tell me that i need to change some steering rack it will cost me 7000, i was surprised and annoyed that the clutchplates were replaced 15k km back and felt something is fishy. Told them not attend both the issues and finish the service and give it back still it costed me some 7000 without having any issues and there was some surprising charge called PMS rs.1700 and after receiving the vehicle I took it to my friends workshop and given it to a senior mechanic for a test ride he went and came back and told me everything just awesome no issues with clutch or steering. I really got angry and wrote to Maruti guys directly and after that dealer manager spoke to me and apologizes for wrong recommendations given by their workshop people.
I have decided not to to MASS anymore in future for sure and get the service done at my friends place now on. After free service schedule they really mint money like hell so beware for this guys.

Agreed. I am seriously in search of a good FNG now, MASS guys loot you like anything. The MASS which I visited yesterday was small but the charges were reasonable. I am thinking to do my next service from there, it's close to my office, so I can give the car while going to office and get it back when I return home. The best thing is, you can watch the work getting performed over there are rush is less. I watched the entire process of changing the brake pads and caliper pins yesterday and at least the pin greasing part I can do it as a DIY it is very simple.

Last edited:
Agreed. I am seriously in search of a good FNG now, MASS guys loot you like anything. The MASS which I visited yesterday was small but the charges were reasonable. I am thinking to do my next service from there, it's close to my office, so I can give the car while going to office and get it back when I return home. The best thing is, you can watch the work getting performed over there are rush is less. I watched the entire process of changing the brake pads and caliper pins yesterday and at least the pin greasing part I can do it as a DIY it is very simple.
Unless guys like you make this widespread over media and all forums and surveys MASS will keep minting money and fooling innocent people.
Already MASS has slided down in JD Power Customer Satisfaction.

Yes Gurrala, I too experienced this loot and hence I call them stealerships. Since then, I decided not to spend more than 10 lakh rupees on a Maruti car and I always choose V variants as per my requirements today. I never take extended warranty from them which they cry like beggers when asked for any replacements that genuinely fall under regular or extended warranty. I faced even bigger loot from VW and Ford dealerships.

So what I do is, I buy a V/middle variant in any model which is deprived of electronic features and I do not take an extended warranty as it will be a manual transmission or AMT. If it is a CVT or TC-AT or a car costing more than 20 lakhs then I will take extended warranty without any 2nd thoughts. And after first 2 years of warranty I take it to my FNG and they allow me to use their tools and ramp to replace oil. Trust me I have become so good at replacing oil and air filter etc under 20 mins at ½ the cost with quality and satisfaction. Otherwise, I need to wait for 1 hour just for the job card to open. Most FNGs are competent enough to repair a Dzire or any current generation of Maruti's (except smart hybrid tech and full automatic transmission works) and genuine spares are also easily available.

Sometimes for critical jobs like timing chain replacement I rely on MASS because I need an expert hand at work which some times may not be available at my FNG. So this is how I work it out.

Back with an update!. Since past several days the caliper pin noise was bothering me a lot. Since recently I did a brake overhaul and the pin noise was back after 1-2 k kms of running. So i decided to replace the caliper pins. Went to a MASS near my office and the caliper pins were in stock. So i decided to go with the plan of changing them. To my horror the LHS brakepad was consumed fully:eek:. So i told him to replace RHS and LHS along with the caliper pins. Total cost including the labor was 2300 (1570 for the pads, 430 for both side pins and 300 labor). The braking obviously is good as new and also those weird sounds have gone when you drive over a pot hole with a dry caliper pin. Hope this expenditure will last for at least 20-30k kms.

The cost of clutch overhaul he said will be to the tune of 10k. He said you can still juice this clutch for another 10k kms as the juddering is not severe.
Yes, they are right about the clutch overhaul and it can go another 10k kms but it will create unnecessary load on the engine and also causes more wear on the flywheel. During next clutch replacement, post inspection, if they say flywheel is bad then you you must replace flywheel also. Flywheels that comes fitted with the engine is of superior quality and it will easily last 1,00,000 kms. The sole reason for me to consider a Diesel AMT, more torquey and less juddery and the clutch is long lasting [:)]. I also came across my friends Terrano AMT and he is munching miles like anything. He drives it rough and the odo is at 55k with still original clutch pack and AMT works like new and add to that there is no judder, only the lag during the shifts is felt.

And when you reach a point where clutch needs to be replaced, replace only clutch, dont replace flywheel it is not required. Judder indicates clutch replacement in an AMT. If you are experiencing this more often than usual then it is an indication for you to change clutch along with clutch cover for better results.

Brake pads in my MK-1 swift came till 70k kms that is due to light traffic back in 2009-2014 and it is a manual. It should easily last another 20-30k but get the rear brake liners checked too in the next 10k run. Because they only offer 30% of the braking so they will last a little longer.

And coming to the caliper pins, if you do not change them every 10k your disc brakes will get bent slightly due to uneven wear of the brake pads at a particular point when higher force is exerted on the brakes, which causes that annoying brake sounds and you must replace the disc to fix it. This happened to me on my MK-I Swift (2009) so I am sharing the experience. I used to give my car at FNG and didn't know that they will replace caliper pins on a periodic basis (10K Kms). Nowadays MASS is so packed up and they will not replace unless a customer proactively asks for it or they want to inflate the bill. Changing caliper pins is very important which was told to me by a good MASS technician back in those days!

Only things that I feel need attention in a 1.3 DDIS are,
1) Timely Engine Oil and coolant replacement along with oil and air filter.
2) EGR cleaning at every 30k kms or depending upon usage.
3) Keep an eye on the water pump and replace when there is slightest leak. (This wont arise at all if you put good quality coolant and distill water)
4) Replace Caliper pins regularly.
5) Look for coolant leaks at TGR pipe and radiator hoses.

There are many other common things to talk about but these are the main points. And these are the only things I faced in my ownership. 1.3 DDIS keeps going on and on and on.

I still have no idea about why they dont top up AMT oil. Rest all I am very familiar with.

Calliper pin for our road conditions ( Roads with reflectors + potholes) need greasing at 5k km intervals , replacement only needed if the pin has play even with copper shims.

Calliper pin play can start even from 500km of new pin installation , as due to the pathetic road condition here.
Best economic solution is - Bear with the noise , but for better brake pad life as well as disc , grease it with orange (TVS girling grease, which is vegetable oil based , hence is more durable especially with the rubber cap surrounding the pin) at every 5k km . Shimming also has many types , W shim , etc. Even after shimming if play is there , replace the pin.

Note- ASS labourers generally tend to do a shoddy job with calliper pin greasing , as they simply put a shim around with little grease only and also don't check the play post greasing . Play after greasing means pin hasn't been shimmed well or pin is worn off (I think 2 sachet of grease is provided with set of calliper pins). So use one sachet each completely for one side. The job is a simple DIY , one can do ourselves in fact.

Thread Starter #112
Calliper pin for our road conditions ( Roads with reflectors + potholes) need greasing at 5k km intervals , replacement only needed if the pin has play even with copper shims.

Calliper pin play can start even from 500km of new pin installation , as due to the pathetic road condition here.
Best economic solution is - Bear with the noise , but for better brake pad life as well as disc , grease it with orange (TVS girling grease, which is vegetable oil based , hence is more durable especially with the rubber cap surrounding the pin) at every 5k km . Shimming also has many types , W shim , etc. Even after shimming if play is there , replace the pin.

Note- ASS labourers generally tend to do a shoddy job with calliper pin greasing , as they simply put a shim around with little grease only and also don't check the play post greasing . Play after greasing means pin hasn't been shimmed well or pin is worn off (I think 2 sachet of grease is provided with set of calliper pins). So use one sachet each completely for one side. The job is a simple DIY , one can do ourselves in fact.
When I was observing the repair job I noticed that one grease sachet was used completely for one side. He did the greasing job meticulously and I was very happy with his commitment to do the things right way. I am thinking to drop of my vehicle here for next service at 67K.

Hi fusion_defusion, how is the braking performance in your Dzire ? I heard some people complain about sudden brake in traffic situations not working effectively in a Diesel AMT, they say that they need to press it a little more harder and the car doesn't stop, car feels a little dragged under sudden braking. This is actually coming from a Brezza Diesel AMT and New Dzire Diesel AMT owners, is it true ?

Thread Starter #114
Hi fusion_defusion, how is the braking performance in your Dzire ? I heard some people complain about sudden brake in traffic situations not working effectively in a Diesel AMT, they say that they need to press it a little more harder and the car doesn't stop, car feels a little dragged under sudden braking. This is actually coming from a Brezza Diesel AMT and New Dzire Diesel AMT owners, is it true ?
Yes and No. Let me put it this way, when you brake gradually from cruising speed to almost 0, the AMT system lowers one gear each time it reaches the min speed for that gear, in that process when it has completed the downshift it also releases the clutch which actually adds forward motion while braking. So yes you will have to brake a little hard. But during city drive it is as good as a manual because you hardly cross over 40-50 kmph sometimes and that's in nil to low traffic situation. During heavy traffic you average around 10 kph.

Thread Starter #115
66K Upate!!
I did my 70K service at 66K yesterday and got the clutch and pressure plate changed. The total bill was around 12692. The following things were done at high level. I dont have a copy of bill right now will upload it soon.

1. Clutch and Pressure plate assy changed. Fly wheel and release bearing were ok.
2. EGR and Intercooler cleaning
3. Engine oil and Oil filter change
4. LHS Headlight bulb replaced FOC
5. LHS brake light bulb replaced FOC
6. Air filter element changed.

Service was done at Sehgal Autoriders Bavdhan and apart from the cleaning everything else was done to satisfaction. #1 costed me around 8k including labor. At the same time #1 took most of the time which delayed the delivery by 2 hrs because the AMT realignment procedure took nearly that much time as per them.Though I searched the internet and didn't find any article on AMT realignment after clutch overhaul.

The juddering has gone completely now. Pickup has definitely improved. Overall smoothness of engine still feels the same w.r.t to diesel clatter.

Next due is strut assembly overhaul as I am feeling that the bush has gone kaput and this was also noted by the SA. But since my priority was the clutch assy overhaul, I deferred the strut overhaul to next service. Also immediate thing which I have to do is to replace both the front tyres as the LHS tyre has a bulge on the wall. So I will be posting my questions in the existing tyre automotive shopper section.

Yours is the most extensive review on a Diesel AMT. AMT realignment after clutch overhaul, this is something which even I didnt hear about but I will push my dealer to perform it on the next clutch overhaul. Regarding the tires I would suggest Michelin Energy XM2 or Yokohoma Earth 1/S-Drives. One of our Taiger is using S-Drives : Honda Amaze VX i-DTEC Ownership Review

And now its time that your research on good compatible fuel additive for your 1.3 DDIS which helps when ULSD/BS6 fuel is introduced. Hopefully Maruti would introduce some additive which helps in lubricating your fuel system. Looking at increasing fuel prices, I see Diesel engine as a good option for high milers like you. And good luck with your machine for years to come.

Thread Starter #118
Yours is the most extensive review on a Diesel AMT. AMT realignment after clutch overhaul, this is something which even I didnt hear about but I will push my dealer to perform it on the next clutch overhaul. Regarding the tires I would suggest Michelin Energy XM2 or Yokohoma Earth 1/S-Drives. One of our Taiger is using S-Drives : Honda Amaze VX i-DTEC Ownership Review

And now its time that your research on good compatible fuel additive for your 1.3 DDIS which helps when ULSD/BS6 fuel is introduced. Hopefully Maruti would introduce some additive which helps in lubricating your fuel system. Looking at increasing fuel prices, I see Diesel engine as a good option for high milers like you. And good luck with your machine for years to come.
Hi, thanks. I am glad that my reviews are helping others. I got all the 4 tyres replaced, Continental CC5 costed me around 4.5K per tyre. Total cost was 18k with free alignment , balancing and nitrogen filling. The tyres are are less noisy but nothing can beat Falken sincera which are super quite. They were not available on any of the dealers i enquired and i didnt wanted to go through online route especially with tyres as original vs fake was biggest concern and I could not compromise on safety.

I will write more reviews later.

Hi, thanks. I am glad that my reviews are helping others. I got all the 4 tyres replaced, Continental CC5 costed me around 4.5K per tyre. Total cost was 18k with free alignment , balancing and nitrogen filling. The tyres are are less noisy but nothing can beat Falken sincera which are super quite. They were not available on any of the dealers i enquired and i didnt wanted to go through online route especially with tyres as original vs fake was biggest concern and I could not compromise on safety.

I will write more reviews later.
Your reviews are really receiving lot of attention so much so that I got pulled from a google search to your reviews, although I had to dig deeper into search results. I'm really surprised by the dearth of long term ownership reviews of Maruti's diesel AMT considering the sales numbers and the value proposition it offers. Most of the search results yield media reviews which waste more than half of the time explaining features that everybody knows and they just mention momentary lag of AMT shifts that I'm okay to live with as long as I get a reliable setup. Afterall, how many of us regularly engage in drag races considering the ever worsening traffic situation in metropolitan cities! Anyway, I'm giving serious consideration to Brezza AMT since I'm tired of constant shifting in first 3 gears in my Alto k10. I took a test drive of the same and really liked the hassle free driving and high seating position. However, I'm a bit concerned about the reliability of the same and feel that the clutch wears out a lot faster in AMT than manual transmission. What would be the frequency of clutch overhauls provided that almost 80% if the times, I'm juggling between first 3 gears in my manual car? Is there anything else that could go wrong in a minimum ownership span of 7 years/1.5 lac km given that it's an automation of the manual transmission?

Very informative review indeed. Please keep posting. I am seeking knowledge on all 4 auto-transmission technologies being used in India, - TC AT, CVT, DSG and this AMT. You seem to be an informative source for me. Thanks !

Top Bottom