My All-New Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire ZDi (AGS): Ownership Review

I may have answer to your questions because I own a Zest AMT & a Celerio AMT. Celerio is for my wife but I also drive it frequently (have driven it more than 1000 kms till date). Zest, being my primary vehicle has been driven for over 73k kms in my over 2 yrs of ownership (all by me). There is definitely a difference between the two vehicle but AMT is AMT and the typical characteristics it has are irrespective of the engine type. Below are my observations:
a) Celerio hunts for gears more frequently because of a smaller engine while Zest cruises in 3rd in mild to medium traffic
b) Both the cars are equally annoying in b2b traffic. However, after driving AMT for over 2 years, I am now used to it
c) Filling gaps is relatively easier (not faster but comfortable) with Zest because of the tremendous torque that it offers.
d) Don't expect anything from Zest or Celerio if you drive pedal to metal. Both with annoy you (Zest being a little better here)
e) The creep function available in celerio is actually good as it helps avoid the binary acceleration that you get in zest

Manual mode in AMT is equally good in both the cars, it gives you best of both the worlds. If you are a sedate driver, then only go for AMT otherwise you will not feel satisfied.
Thank you very much Tarik, for the detailed explanation. I own a GT TDI and I am no way a sedate driver [lol]. Even if I want to drive sedately my car keeps encouraging me to push it hard with the kind of torque it has. Now coming to the practical world scenario. After years of driving Manuals, and the kind of city traffic we have today where cars like GT TDI are utter useless for enjoyment. Infact instead of driving pleasure I am looking for a point A to B car where I could drive my car in peace during heavy traffic. I know that I had to scarifice a few things by choosing an AMT but if it can remove all the stress then why not.

On the contrary, I really liked the Vento TDI DSG. A perfect car for our needs. In future there is a speculation that GT TDI is coming with a DSG transmission. As I already own a VW product I know the maintenance costs and the cost to replace a DSG gearbox will be a bomb, at around 4.5 lakhs. I have also enquired the cost for replacing an AMT module post warranty and it is costing 1.30 lakh for the celerio. The service manager in Maruti Dealership assured me that the Diesel AMT module including the gearbox replacement won't cost you more than 2.00 lakh rupees and he also said that the replacement would be required only in case of an accident if AMT module gets salvaged or may be during a long term ownership, say about 10 years. And on the positive note MSIL is in talks with Magnetti Marelli for setting up an AMT gearbox manufacturing unit in India, so the prices may come down and parts such as actuators or the necessary wear and tear items could be replaced instead of replacing the whole AMT module. So after knowing these prices I am more inclined towards the Dzire Diesel AMT or Swift Diesel AMT. So I am ready to drive sedately for the convenience of an AMT automatic.

The biggest selling point for these cars is, they are Diesel + Automatic that are affordable and can be maintained without breaking a bank. So you are saying that sedate driving would be helpful in a Diesel AMT. And what about the Jerks at crawling speeds (not during gear shifts) ? I hope Diesel AMT won't jerk. And does that creep function available in Dzire AMT ? Does it slowly move ahead in B2B traffic ? Any idea on this ?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Tarik, for the detailed explanation. I own a GT TDI and I am no way a sedate driver [lol]. Even if I want to drive sedately my car keeps encouraging me to push it hard with the kind of torque it has. Now coming to the practical world scenario. After years of driving Manuals, and the kind of city traffic we have today where cars like GT TDI are utter useless for enjoyment. Infact instead of driving pleasure I am looking for a point A to B car where I could drive my car in peace during heavy traffic. I know that I had to scarifice a few things by choosing an AMT but if it can remove all the stress then why not.

On the contrary, I really liked the Vento TDI DSG. A perfect car for our needs. In future there is a speculation that GT TDI is coming with a DSG transmission. As I already own a VW product I know the maintenance costs and the cost to replace a DSG gearbox will be a bomb, at around 4.5 lakhs. I have also enquired the cost for replacing an AMT module post warranty and it is costing 1.30 lakh for the celerio. The service manager in Maruti Dealership assured me that the Diesel AMT module including the gearbox replacement won't cost you more than 2.00 lakh rupees and he also said that the replacement would be required only in case of an accident if AMT module gets salvaged or may be during a long term ownership, say about 10 years. And on the positive note MSIL is in talks with Magnetti Marelli for setting up an AMT gearbox manufacturing unit in India, so the prices may come down and parts such as actuators or the necessary wear and tear items could be replaced instead of replacing the whole AMT module. So after knowing these prices I am more inclined towards the Dzire Diesel AMT or Swift Diesel AMT. So I am ready to drive sedately for the convenience of an AMT automatic.

The biggest selling point for these cars is, they are Diesel + Automatic that are affordable and can be maintained without breaking a bank. So you are saying that sedate driving would be helpful in a Diesel AMT. And what about the Jerks at crawling speeds (not during gear shifts) ? I hope Diesel AMT won't jerk. And does that creep function available in Dzire AMT ? Does it slowly move ahead in B2B traffic ? Any idea on this ?
Yes, Sedate driving will surely help. There are a few jerks that you will experience:
a) Jerks during gear changes (1-2 & 2-1) that are mostly experienced in b2b traffic. Gear 2-3 and onwards is pretty smooth
b) Jerks because of the "Binary" acceleration that AMT offers in B2B traffic. It is equivalent to sitting with a newbie driver who is still not comfortable with the idea of releasing the clutch smoothly
c) Jerks while going through speed breakers- This is more true for Celerio as it immediately downshifts to gear 1. Zest diesel being high on torque, glides in gear 2 without any fuss

AMT is not the best thing to buy in my opinion but the kind of VFM that they offer, its really a challenging decision. Sooner or later you will realize that you have changed your driving style to suit the AMT characteristics. AMT with a diesel heart is much more predictable than AMT with a puny 998cc petrol motor. Given a choice, I will always go for Diesel-AMT combination. If you are not keen on diesel, Ciaz AT also makes sense.

kkn13

Suspended
Diesel AMTs are much better than Petrol AMT
AMT drives best with a light right foot and oodles of torque

Dzire AMT really impressed me last month when I drove a friends car compared to another friends Wagon R AMT

I owned a Ritz diesel earlier and drove the Dzire AMT in the same rev band using the trick of letting off the accelerator to upshift and slam the accelerator for downshift
Worked like a charm and worked as good as my manual Ritz diesel

Yes, Sedate driving will surely help. There are a few jerks that you will experience:
a) Jerks during gear changes (1-2 & 2-1) that are mostly experienced in b2b traffic. Gear 2-3 and onwards is pretty smooth
b) Jerks because of the "Binary" acceleration that AMT offers in B2B traffic. It is equivalent to sitting with a newbie driver who is still not comfortable with the idea of releasing the clutch smoothly
c) Jerks while going through speed breakers- This is more true for Celerio as it immediately downshifts to gear 1. Zest diesel being high on torque, glides in gear 2 without any fuss

AMT is not the best thing to buy in my opinion but the kind of VFM that they offer, its really a challenging decision. Sooner or later you will realize that you have changed your driving style to suit the AMT characteristics. AMT with a diesel heart is much more predictable than AMT with a puny 998cc petrol motor. Given a choice, I will always go for Diesel-AMT combination. If you are not keen on diesel, Ciaz AT also makes sense.
d) Jerks when reversing from idle in parking lot in petrol AMT, sudden acceleration and speed too if you arent careful

Last edited:
Diesel AMTs are much better than Petrol AMT
AMT drives best with a light right foot and oodles of torque

Dzire AMT really impressed me last month when I drove a friends car compared to another friends Wagon R AMT
Agreed, my doubts are cleared. I had a bad opinion on my wife's celerio AMT, but I had some ray of hope on the Diesel AMT. Reason 190nm of torque in 1.3 DDIS. As Tarik said, it is not a perfect gearbox. But there aren't any reliable gearboxes in sub 4-meter so we need to be satisfied with what we get in our budget.

@Tarik, have you driven then Ciaz 1.4 AT ? Does it feel adequately powered ? I feel it is rather good to prefer upcoming Vios 1.5 VVT-i AT over the Ciaz if it gets launched at the same price bracket. Because it has got more powerful engine and bullet proof Toyota reliability. I am not mentioning Honda CVT here because it is too expensive and out of my budget. I guess if Swift gets launched with 1.0 Boosterjet and 6-speed automatic then I guess it is gonna kill Baleno RS.

At the end of the day, I need an under 4-meter car which is easy to amble around in the city traffic and park. Just like the Europeans who prefer small cars for convenience. Like we already know, Dzire combines Diesel economics + reliable automatic gearbox in a small car is a dream come true. But AMT is a little compromise. Will pick a Swift DDIS if AMT is launched in ZDI+ avatar unlike the Ignis where AMT is not available in the top end variant. But new Dzire has somethings to go for, like the rear seat legroom, rear ac vents, added boot space are very tempting over the swift and we already have AMT available in ZDI+. I hope MSIL launches Swift 1.0 Boosterjet with 6 speed automatic. If the power feels satisfactory then would buy it over the Diesel AMT. What do say?

Agreed, my doubts are cleared. I had a bad opinion on my wife's celerio AMT, but I had some ray of hope on the Diesel AMT. Reason 190nm of torque in 1.3 DDIS. As Tarik said, it is not a perfect gearbox. But there aren't any reliable gearboxes in sub 4-meter so we need to be satisfied with what we get in our budget.

@Tarik, have you driven then Ciaz 1.4 AT ? Does it feel adequately powered ? I feel it is rather good to prefer upcoming Vios 1.5 VVT-i AT over the Ciaz if it gets launched at the same price bracket. Because it has got more powerful engine and bullet proof Toyota reliability. I am not mentioning Honda CVT here because it is too expensive and out of my budget. I guess if Swift gets launched with 1.0 Boosterjet and 6-speed automatic then I guess it is gonna kill Baleno RS.

At the end of the day, I need an under 4-meter car which is easy to amble around in the city traffic and park. Just like the Europeans who prefer small cars for convenience. Like we already know, Dzire combines Diesel economics + reliable automatic gearbox in a small car is a dream come true. But AMT is a little compromise. Will pick a Swift DDIS if AMT is launched in ZDI+ avatar unlike the Ignis where AMT is not available in the top end variant. But new Dzire has somethings to go for, like the rear seat legroom, rear ac vents, added boot space are very tempting over the swift and we already have AMT available in ZDI+. I hope MSIL launches Swift 1.0 Boosterjet with 6 speed automatic. If the power feels satisfactory then would buy it over the Diesel AMT. What do say?
No, haven't driven the Ciaz AT yet but I am keeping a close eye on it. My Zest is nearing the 75k kms mark and in next 1 year I will be in the market for a new car. Having driven an Automatic now, I don't want to go back to manuals now. Such is the addiction to comfort[:)]

Ciaz AT is on top of my list because of the VFM that it offers. The only concern is the 4 speed AT combined with a weak petrol engine. All the reviews gives this car a thumbs-up as long as you are a sedate driver. Agree with your comment on city being very expensive for what it offers.
I am hopeful that Maruti will launch the swift with AMT even in the top variant but Dzire ZDi+ AMT is dangerously close to Ciaz in terms of pricing (leaving apart the petrol to diesel debate).

My annual running is over 25k kms and thus petrol + AT would be too expensive for me. Leaving apart the annual running, I will any day choose a turbo petrol + AT (CVT or 6 speed) over diesel-AMT

kkn13

Suspended
No, haven't driven the Ciaz AT yet but I am keeping a close eye on it. My Zest is nearing the 75k kms mark and in next 1 year I will be in the market for a new car. Having driven an Automatic now, I don't want to go back to manuals now. Such is the addiction to comfort[:)]

Ciaz AT is on top of my list because of the VFM that it offers. The only concern is the 4 speed AT combined with a weak petrol engine. All the reviews gives this car a thumbs-up as long as you are a sedate driver. Agree with your comment on city being very expensive for what it offers.
I am hopeful that Maruti will launch the swift with AMT even in the top variant but Dzire ZDi+ AMT is dangerously close to Ciaz in terms of pricing (leaving apart the petrol to diesel debate).

My annual running is over 25k kms and thus petrol + AT would be too expensive for me. Leaving apart the annual running, I will any day choose a turbo petrol + AT (CVT or 6 speed) over diesel-AMT
If your Zest was diesel AMT , I think Dzire ZDI+ AMT deserves a look since the gap between Ciaz and Dzire is fairly closened now overall

Its a shame there arent too many options for diesel ATs in this segment
AMT, DSG etc will never be as good as a well made torque converter AT in terms of balance of performance,maintenance, cost, reliability etc

I hope at least one manufacturer wakes up and sees the potential for such an opportunity in the market

If your Zest was diesel AMT , I think Dzire ZDI+ AMT deserves a look since the gap between Ciaz and Dzire is fairly closened now overall

Its a shame there arent too many options for diesel ATs in this segment
AMT, DSG etc will never be as good as a well made torque converter AT in terms of balance of performance,maintenance, cost, reliability etc

I hope at least one manufacturer wakes up and sees the potential for such an opportunity in the market
Yes, Dzire ZDi AMT is also on the list but somehow after driving the Zest AMT for 75k kms (+25k kms before I replace it), I am more interested in CVT or TC this time. I would love to experience the fineness they offer over AMTs. Unfortunately there are no Diesel + CVT/TC options in 10-11 lacs price category. Anyways, I still have an year before I replace my Zest so banking on some OEM to come up with this combo. Otherwise, AMT is the best solution and then I will have multiple options (Ignis, Dzire, New Swift, Nexon etc.)

Thread Starter #39
Hi,
Sorry for being away for a while, have been really busy since past few months at work. I hope all your queries have been answered.

As of now the 4th service was done in the last month and engine oil was changed along with coolant and brake fluid. AMT is still fun to drive. Planning for a weekend getaway since monsoon is around the corner.

The only issue which started during the first few weeks of ownership is the "chug chug" noise of door trims, I apply vaseline on those liners but really need a long term solution.

I only want to stress here to others who are considering "automatics" is, do not compare AMT's with AT's (torque conversion or CVT's) or with DSG for that matter. AMT will give that prominent long pause between changing gears, just bear in mind that instead of your hand there is a mechanical hand which is doing the same thing and you will adjust to it accordingly.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry for being away for a while, have been really busy since past few months at work. I hope all your queries have been answered.

As of now the 4th service was done in the last month and engine oil was changed along with coolant and brake fluid. AMT is still fun to drive. Planning for a weekend getaway since monsoon is around the corner.

The only issue which started during the first few weeks of ownership is the "chug chug" noise of door trims, I apply vaseline on those liners but really need a long term solution.

I only want to stress here to others who are considering "automatics" is, do not compare AMT's with AT's (torque conversion or CVT's) or with DSG for that matter. AMT will give that prominent long pause between changing gears, just bear in mind that instead of your hand there is a mechanical hand which is doing the same thing and you will adjust to it accordingly.
Rightly said, AMT cannot and should not be compared with TCs/CVT/DSGs of the world. However, for an average buyer, an Automatic is an automatic irrespective of the technology that goes behind it and he/she is bound to make comparisons. AMT is actually very good for an average Joe as it serves the purpose without costing a bomb and without compromising on the fuel consumption. For me, having used an AMT for long, I would like to "upgrade" to a better technology now and that does not mean that AMT is any bad.

Thread Starter #41
Did a small weekend trip to Sinhgad and noticed a safety feature which was ok by manufactures perspective but not to the owner's!

The event occured on ghat section to Sinhgad at the parking lot end. There was heavy traffic, many fools parked their vehicles on the main road and there was chaos. I had to keep the car in gear and move forward inch by inch, I suddenly heard loud beeps. At first i though it is coming from outside but then the transmission amber light symbol was lit with this buzz. I cannot describe this tell tale symbol but it resembles to the whatsapp emoji i have attached only the color is yellow[lol].

I realized that the AMT system is overloaded due to me inching forward every few seconds on a steep incline. To my relief the traffic jam cleared up in 5 mins and the light went off. Everything was normal after that and to this day.

Though my situation was not so serious as the jam cleared in minutes but if it hadn't i might have landed into trouble with the vehicle not moving at all. In manual though you stress your clutch and move forward which ultimately affects your clutch life. In AMT, to prevent clutch damage the system may shut over prolonged use.

So a takeaway from all this situation is, wish all the time that your luck doesn't runs out!!

The note in the manual says
Transaxle warning light
(if equipped)

When the ignition switch is turned to “ON”
position or the engine switch is pressed to
change the ignition mode to “ON”, this light
comes on for several seconds so you can
check that the light is working.
If this light comes on when the engine is
running, there is a problem with the Auto
Gear Shift system. Ask an authorised
Maruti Suzuki workshop to have the system
inspected.
NOTE:
If the Auto Gear Shift clutch temperature
becomes too high, this light will blink. Stop
the vehicle in a safe place and let the system
cool down.

I think in my case the "NOTE" section situation happened.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #42
I noticed one thing today. I reached work and was parking into the lane, I spotted one of my colleague(who is also a part of TAI) also parking into a lane parallel to me. I got off took off my bag from the back seat and went to greet him. Guess what, I forgot to lock the car while continuing to walk towards our office. Later during the day, I had a "myntra" exchange scheduled and since it was raining moderately then, I thought I would drive up outside the office campus to return/exchange the item. I pressed the door unlock button on the door knob and pulled the handle, the door didn't open, then realized that I didn't lock the vehicle in first place. Thank god it was in our office campus, if it were outside, there were many goodies inside my car which could have been easily stolen.

A question, don't you think the vehicle must auto lock sensing the key fob is outside and the vehicle is not locked for a fair amount of time? this should be a standard and If i am missing something, can anyone of you point me to the settings page where it can be configured? didn't find anything in the manual.

I noticed one thing today. I reached work and was parking into the lane, I spotted one of my colleague(who is also a part of TAI) also parking into a lane parallel to me. I got off took off my bag from the back seat and went to greet him. Guess what, I forgot to lock the car while continuing to walk towards our office. Later during the day, I had a "myntra" exchange scheduled and since it was raining moderately then, I thought I would drive up outside the office campus to return/exchange the item. I pressed the door unlock button on the door knob and pulled the handle, the door didn't open, then realized that I didn't lock the vehicle in first place. Thank god it was in our office campus, if it were outside, there were many goodies inside my car which could have been easily stolen.

A question, don't you think the vehicle must auto lock sensing the key fob is outside and the vehicle is not locked for a fair amount of time? this should be a standard and If i am missing something, can anyone of you point me to the settings page where it can be configured? didn't find anything in the manual.
I haven't used any vehicle equipped with push button start and true keyless entry, however, in my limited understanding things are the way you described them. The car wont lock itself if the fob is not around for a while. Even if the car engine is running and you take the fob away, it will keep on running until someone pushes it off or stalls it. This is one security flaw but not a very big one. Regular cars also wont lock them in similar situations

Thread Starter #44
I haven't used any vehicle equipped with push button start and true keyless entry, however, in my limited understanding things are the way you described them. The car wont lock itself if the fob is not around for a while. Even if the car engine is running and you take the fob away, it will keep on running until someone pushes it off or stalls it. This is one security flaw but not a very big one. Regular cars also wont lock them in similar situations
I agree with you.Lets see what others say. I have also copied this question to the technical zone so we can discuss it over there.

Hi fusion_defusion & Tarik Arora, I have one final question for you guys. How would you rate the long term reliability of the Diesel AMT ? Long term reliability as in, Do you think that the 1.3 MJD and AMT gearbox combo can survive the test of time, say 10 years or 1,50,000 kms ?

It would be really helpful to me if any body with Diesel AMT experience can answer my questions. AMT gearbox is something that I really don't understand.

1) Is the wear and tear of the clutch more in the Dzire/Zest Diesel AMT when compared to the same car with Manual Transmission?

2) Will the AMT gearbox lead to wear and tear of the diesel engine as we tend to rev the engine more in the AMT to get the desired pick up at times?

2) When the engine becomes a bit weak in power delivery over time, say after 5-6 years, do you think that the AMT gearbox can retain the same performance when compared to its manual counterpart or do you find the car to be sluggish?

3) Are AMT gearbox issues an easy fix or very expensive and time taking (as per your experiences) ?

4) Is the Dzire Diesel AMT a keeper for 10 years (w.r.t to Engine and gearbox only)?

Last edited:

Top Bottom