Music System for Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
**Urgent**
We don't require a stereo system in our 2nd(soon to be 3rd) car - M800, yet want to fit one, just for better music on short drives(We right now have a decade old Pioneer Cassete player with 2 crappy front speakers). Hence, we want to spend the least amount possible. So, for a small car like the 800 and non-existent needs, we just want a Basic HU & Fr. Speakers. What are the -
1. Basic branded HUs with MP3 CD player and FM , if possible, Aux-in, for <Rs5000?
2. Which branded front Speakers to go in for, for Rs 2000?

Q3. Is going in for a used set-up for <Rs5000 a good idea?

AMG

Suspended
Stupid Advice
Go for an iPod dock and plug your iPod in it.
Decent music and useful elsewhere too.

1) Go for a basic kenwood or sony HU which will have CD player & FM, but AUX is doubtful. if you get a Pioneer in this price, go for it.

2) for Rs. 2000, you may get co-axials from kenwood or sony.

3) i wont advice a used ICE.

go for gray market goods. you will easily get a pioneer HU with aux-in and regarding the speakers you will get sony co-axials(13cms) for 2k.( i have it)
even i suggest you against used goods.
that i-pod dock makes a more sensible move.(no idea regarding costs)

Thread Starter #6
Well, I already have high quality Philips portable speakers (Real, real loud with great bass) Next time I get a chance to use the maruti, I'll play some music and decide. Meanwhile, there is a Delphi HU with USB, Aux-in, Mp3, FM etc., for Rs 4000 bucks :eek:
What do you guys think?

I too would strongly suggest you to remain away from used units. Delphi sounds good.

350Z

Core Team
3) i wont advice a used ICE.
Any specific reason? Not referring to OP’s case but in general because some time ago I was also considering going for used HU for 800 but ended up getting new one though!

Drive Safe,
350Z

ICE is something which is generally abused a lot or CAN be abused. all types of speakers & HUs have a certain lifetime & the more you abuse them, the sooner they die. so i dont really advice used ICE to anyone, as unlike cars, abused systems cannot be distinguished from outside!

by abuse, i mean, playing at high/jarring volumes 24x7!

Recently, one of my friend from Lucknow bought a used old model Yellow Zen owned by a doctor. It was well maintained and he found it VFM. For ICE he used his Nokia N95 [thumbswink] He installed some blue tooth system which paired with his mobile. He could play music, attend the calls hands free, the music will stop when incoming calls / out going calls are made and will gradually increase and will play again when you disconnect. The fun part he liked was the GPS navigation. When the voice guided navigation is activated and when the music is playing; Nokia will reduce the volume of music (read it is still audible) and will give you the alert message from GPS! He and his wife enjoyed this excellent system with the minimal cost. Why don't you try some thing similar like this ?

350Z

Core Team
ICE is something which is generally abused a lot or CAN be abused. all types of speakers & HUs have a certain lifetime & the more you abuse them, the sooner they die. so i dont really advice used ICE to anyone, as unlike cars, abused systems cannot be distinguished from outside!

by abuse, i mean, playing at high/jarring volumes 24x7!
Thanks, That's a valid point.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Just curious, but music is played for 1 1/2 to hours everyday, and 3 hours on weekends. Can this be termed abuse? What is the life of speakers, say basic pioneer /sony / JVC na Pioneer HUs under such usage?
@ Shynish M
Was the N95 paired with a bluetooth system through an adapter connected to the Zen's speakers?

@ arkin: buddy, abuse is a very generic term which has no definitions as such.

generally, i feel in a high end system, which has powerful speakers & sub & amp, you can play them at higher volumes. they are designed for that. but in some low end systems, especially without an amp, if you play them at high volumes, the speakers start jarring, which is bad.

in any case, point is that the output from the speakers should be clean & should not jar, that means the speakers have not reached its limit & are running fine. in my car, since the front speakers have an amp, they play clean even at max volume but not so with the rear speakers. so if i play at max volume, the front speakers wont have any problem but the rear ones will die a slow death.

coming to your question, the time that you listen does not matter. you can play songs 24x7. but play it at sedate levels. when i am in the mood to pump up my car's system, i play loud bassy songs only for max an hour, not more than that.

Thread Starter #14
Thanks Raj. We play music at low volumes.
I'm thinking of basic front co-axials from sony/pioneer for not more than Rs 2k, paired with an INTEX FM transmitter for not more than Rs 2k. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom