Mumbai To Kerala Road Trip: Help Needed

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI,

I am planning a trip from Mumbai to Cochin. I would like to hear from experienced veterans on this route or the ones who are well versed with this route to guide me.

I would ideally like to do the trip in two days, with a halt at Kollur, Karnataka.

I am pretty much confused with the route to take(via Hubli-Ankola or via Ranebennur-Shikaripura).

My machine is a very amazing Chevy EnjoyLTZ. I plan to drive during the day (5am to 7pm).

Waiting for all your valuable guidance...

Re: Mumbai to Kerala road to take: Help needed

Hi TAI,
I am planning a trip from Mumbai to Cochin.
I would ideally like to do the trip in two days, with a halt at Kollur, Karnataka.
I am pretty much confused with the route to take(via Hubli-Ankola or via Ranebennur-Shikaripura).
My machine is a very amazing Chevy EnjoyLTZ. I plan to drive during the day (5am to 7pm).
Welcome aboard [:)]

Why taking NH-17 in the first place. Unless you have a specific job at Kollur, it should be the other more relaxed route for me via NICE road-Salem-Palakkad.
I did this route last July and here is the link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ips-down-memory-lane-snapshot.html#post381668
And when is the trip planned?

Assuming you are planning to visit Mookambika Temple @Kollur on Day 1.

Mumbai –Hubli : NH-4. Around 600km/8-9 hours
Should be a blast.
Hubli – Kollur : NH 63, NH-17 combo, around 270 kms/ 6 -7 hours approximately
NH-63 towards NH-17 : Around 140 km/ 3-4 hous. The road condition should be good.
NH-17 : Kumta-Batkal towards Kundapura and then off to Kollur. 130 km/a minimum of 3 hours.
Last time when I did this stretch, it wasn’t great with huge craters and pot-holes. With heavy truck traffic, expect a slow crawling until you take a diversion from NH-17 towards Kollur.

Start as early as possible, say 4.00am start from Mumbai, so that you can hit Kollur before it gets dark. It’s no fun to drive in dark, after Gokarna on NH-17.

Staying option at Kollur:
---:: MOOKAMBIKA STAY ::---
Excellent with great south Indian food served.
Either at Beena Residency which is just about 10 meters and Aswathy Tourist Home about 100meters from the Temple. Both of them have parking facilities. Call them in advance.

Day 2 [NH-17 all the way- around 550 kms/ around 15 hours]

After having an early darsan, start off towards mangalore as early as possible.

Kollur-Mangalore: Around 130 kms
It was a construction zone last time around with road widening work on. Hope it’s finished now for good.

Mangalore- Kochi : around 420 km
Roads should be good but expect heavy traffic, especially in Kerala on narrow stretches up to Kozhikode. Even if you get a bit late in the evening, there is nothing to panic in Kerala. Don't go beyond say, 80-85 kmph on roads in Kerala.

All the best ![:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Hi Manojodungat!

Wow that was exactly the reaffirmation that I needed. Yes you guessed it right about visiting the temple. Otherwise I would have preferred the Salem route.

Thank you so much for the links. And, I would like to do the return leg via the route that you mentioned. Also, is via Mysore also a good option?

And, coincidentally, I went through your trip pictures and photos of your amazing M-hawk before you replied![;)] They were just brilliant, especially your photography.

Also, since you are a veteran, can you also give me a list of places to visit while on the return leg?

Thank you again for your guidance...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Manojodungat!

Thank you so much for the links. And, I would like to do the return leg via the route that you mentioned. Also, is via Mysore also a good option?

Also, since you are a veteran, can you also give me a list of places to visit while on the return leg?
If you have time, a detour via Nilambur -Bandipur-Mysore is worth ! It's very scenic unlike the Salem route. I did this stretch a couple of years back. Just beautiful.
If you have plan, please let us know as there are quite a number of attractions to visit in Mysore as well.

P.S: BTW, how do you know my personal details ? Please don't share anything personal on public forum. Always use PM to know more.[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

If you have time, a detour via Nilambur -Bandipur-Mysore is worth ! It's very scenic unlike the Salem route. I did this stretch a couple of years back. Just beautiful.
If you have plan, please let us know as there are quite a number of attractions to visit in Mysore as well.

P.S: BTW, how do you know my personal details ? Please don't share anything personal on public forum. Always use PM to know more.[:)]
Yes I am very much open to the Mysore detour. Please help me with anything that you can offer.

P.S:Sorry for that. I read your 'time at the Changi Airport' report where I read about it. Nevertheless, I will keep it straight henceforth[:)]

Yes I am very much open to the Mysore detour. Please help me with anything that you can offer.
The Bandipur – Nanjangud- Mysore is excellent for nature lovers. Its about 350 odd kms from Kochi. If you are not in a hurry and have at least a day extra, it’s worth it. We did it from Palakkad about two years back. In fact, I did spend my 4 beautiful years in Mysore, during my studies back in 1995-1999.

Halt at Mysore and you may spend another day to explore the beautiful Mysore more.
  • Mysore Palace
  • Brindavan garden
  • Mysore Zoo
  • Chamundi Hills
  • St. Philomena's Church
  • Ranganthittu Bird sanctuary, only to name a few

Even if you are not planning to stop at Mysore, you may go ahead a bit further on day one and halt at Bangalore. Never miss the NICE road and enter Bangalore city !

Mysore to Mumbai:

SH 17 until NICE road @Bangalore which will take you to NH4 all the way to Mumbai.
You will have a good 1000 odd kms to cover but the roads are excellent 4-Lane all the way.

Last edited:
I need to go to Adoor from Mumbai. Can you please guide me in similar lines for a halt as well as preferred route. On google i see, AH47, but I thought diversion from Salem is better. Haven't drove to kerala before and so have a query. Can someone guide pls..

Just a small heads up. Around 40 kms after Karad towards Kolhapur, on the left hand side is a lovely place for food / snacks called Hotel Sai International. I always stop there because the washroom facilities are clean especially for ladies.

There is a petrol bunk just before this place also.

Food also good.

Please factor this in your travel plans.

I need to go to Adoor from Mumbai. Can you please guide me in similar lines for a halt as well as preferred route. On google i see, AH47, but I thought diversion from Salem is better. Haven't drove to kerala before and so have a query. Can someone guide pls..
You can try & stretch till Tumkur. Salem diversion is up to you. Kerala driving is always very tiring due to narrow 2-lanes roads / insane private buses. I haven't traveled in Kerala much, so no pointers there. But then again, if you are used to it, it shouldn't matter too much. In any case, Tumkur - Salem is about 3+ hrs. Salem - Walayar is 2+ hrs. Post that, I am not sure.

Your drive time from Tumkur (if you are start early, 6am or so & bypass Bangalore peacefully) to Thirumangalam, its a 6+ hrs journey including breaks. Driving through NH 44 (old NH7) is great. Salem alone would eat up 15-20min to cross it, due to the on-going constructions, depending on your time of entry. I have always crossed Salem before 730am or after 730pm, so not sure about peak morning / afternoon hours.

And I know the roads till Tenkasi are in good condition too.

For stay @ Tumkur, you can follow our friend. Details at this thread. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/28790-pune-mysore-pune-2.html#post535728

Hello Team,

I am planning for a road trip from Navi Mumbai to Tiruvalla in the month of October'17.

Can any of the veterans guide me in the best route, when to start, halting place in between.

Planning to start as early as 2 am in morning.

Appreciate your feedback

Hello Team,

I am planning for a road trip from Navi Mumbai to Tiruvalla in the month of October'17.

Can any of the veterans guide me in the best route, when to start, halting place in between.

Appreciate your feedback
Hi George, are you planning for a bike trip as i am also doing a same route on 19Oct.

Hello Team,

Appreciate your feedback
Hi George,

I am driving from Navi Mumbai to Kottayam in October 2nd week. Please share ay information that you have, will be really helpful.

Top Bottom