Mumbai To Goa: Route Information

Thread Starter #1
Hi

Am planning a drive to Colva (Goa) from Navi Mumbai. I am familiar with the roads till Belgaum but have never traveled on the road from Belgaum to Goa.

Request inputs from TAI members familiar with the road. How much time it will take, the road conditions, are there places to break the journey etc

Re: Mumbai to Goa - Route Information

There are three routes for your destination
1) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Nippani - Ajra - Amboli - Banda - Panji - Colva.
Pros:
You will be on NH48 till Nippani
Good monsoon drive throughout the ghat section with numerous waterfalls enroute

Cons:
Amboli can get blocked by landslides

2) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Panji- Colva
Pros:
You can be on NH48 till Belgaum
Chorla is occupied with beautiful scenery and curvy roads

Cons:
Traversing with Belgaum city in peak hours is a task in itself

3) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - M K Hubli - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Goa
Pros:
You will be on NH48 till Hubli
You can cover Dudsagar waterfalls on the way by taking detour from Mollem

Cons:
Narrow ghat roads

If you want to break the journey then either Kolhapur or Belgaum will be good option. As it is monsoon season hence estimate drive time to somewhere around 12 hours.

Last edited:
I have just been from South Goa to Bangalore.
I took the route no 3 which has been given by "GrandRK".

The road is very good, most of the Bangalore and south buses use this route. There is only one toll once you get on to Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Goa. The toll is of 85 Rs (I believe).

I too wanted to visit Dudhsagar waterfall's but then someone said its too slippery and muddy hence I didn't go since I had my parents with me.

Cheers!
Rohit Joshi

Thread Starter #4

There are three routes for your destination
1) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Nippani - Ajra - Amboli - Banda - Panji - Colva.
Pros:
You will be on NH48 till Nippani
Good monsoon drive throughout the ghat section with numerous waterfalls enroute

Cons:
Amboli can get blocked by landslides

2) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Panji- Colva
Pros:
You can be on NH48 till Belgaum
Chorla is occupied with beautiful scenery and curvy roads

Cons:
Traversing with Belgaum city in peak hours is a task in itself

3) Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - M K Hubli - Khanapur - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Goa
Pros:
You will be on NH48 till Hubli
You can cover Dudsagar waterfalls on the way by taking detour from Mollem

Cons:
Narrow ghat roads

If you want to break the journey then either Kolhapur or Belgaum will be good option. As it is monsoon season hence estimate drive time to somewhere around 12 hours.
Thank you GrandRK. Request your inputs again

I am planning to go in 2nd week of Sept (Ganesh Chaturti holidays) so expecting traffic on the way and progress to be slow. Likely that there will be some driving after dark.

Are there any secluded areas in any of these routes which are not advisable to drive at night. I will be travelling with wife and two kids so might have to take 1 or 2 breaks after leaving NH 48.

Also approximately how many hours of driving is required after leaving Belgaum(Route option 2).

Thank you GrandRK. Request your inputs again

I am planning to go in 2nd week of Sept (Ganesh Chaturti holidays) so expecting traffic on the way and progress to be slow. Likely that there will be some driving after dark.

Are there any secluded areas in any of these routes which are not advisable to drive at night. I will be travelling with wife and two kids so might have to take 1 or 2 breaks after leaving NH 48.

Also approximately how many hours of driving is required after leaving Belgaum(Route option 2).
I would suggest you to avoid night driving. The said section passes through ghats and forest with no facilities. It will take somewhere around 4 hours to reach your destination from Belgaum. Things will get worse if rains are there!!

It is better to halt somewhere on NH48 and resume your journey next morning, in that way you can enjoy beautiful scenery in Chorla ghats.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

I would suggest you to avoid night driving. The said section passes through ghats and forest with no facilities. It will take somewhere around 4 hours to reach your destination from Belgaum. Things will get worse if rains are there!!

It is better to halt somewhere on NH48 and resume your journey next morning, in that way you can enjoy beautiful scenery in Chorla ghats.
Thank you ..will do that.

I would say better wait for day light to come if you plan on doing it in the monsoons, because of debris and fog.
I have done that route many times during monsoons but on a motorcycle, have found stones, mud, which can be very risky.
Thanks psycohog,
I can manage the drive in Fog but i am afraid of robbery or dacoits on that route as i will be travelling with wife and kids.

Thread Starter #11
Driving to Goa on 13th Sep.Given the holiday and weekend expecting heavy traffic on the way. As of now the plan is to start quite early in the morning and reach Colva (Goa) by evening. If the progress is really slow, will take a halt at Belgaum.

From the options given by GrandRK, Chorla would be the preferred route.(though Google maps shows Anmod-Mollem being shorter by 15-20 minutes). Are the road conditions similar in both routes ? Would prefer better roads even if the travel time increases by 20 - 30 minutes.

Driving to Goa on 13th Sep.Given the holiday and weekend expecting heavy traffic on the way. As of now the plan is to start quite early in the morning and reach Colva (Goa) by evening. If the progress is really slow, will take a halt at Belgaum.

From the options given by GrandRK, Chorla would be the preferred route.(though Google maps shows Anmod-Mollem being shorter by 15-20 minutes). Are the road conditions similar in both routes ? Would prefer better roads even if the travel time increases by 20 - 30 minutes.
Avoid Anmod-Mollem route,the ghat section is in terrible shape, the potholes are so huge that even the heavy vehicles find it difficult to drive,also the route has huge heavy vehicles traffic.

Thread Starter #14
Thank you for all the inputs. Completed the Goa trip last week without any problems.

Left from Navi Mumbai at 5 AM on 13th Sept. Smooth drive and crossed the Pune bypass without much traffic. Road from Pune to Satara was bad - not just the diversions, but the road surface was broken in many places. After Satara, there were two accidents on the road which led to minor traffic jams - luckily these were cleared without much delay.Took a break at Sai and reached Belgaum by 12.30.

Most of the restaurants in Belgaum was closed- may be due to Ganesh Chaturti, found a small place one on the road towards Goa. There were other cars both going to Goa and returning stopping there since other places were closed. I spoke to a couple of people about the routes and they mentioned Anmod-Mollem route being the shortest to Colva(my destination). Thanks to SilverEyez for the warning above, I decided to stick to the Chorla route.

Had an amazing drive through Chorla. There are some rough patches but the road condition was really good. My family also enjoyed the drive through the forest. Even after entering Goa, google maps directed me through small interior roads towards my destination. Leaving Belgaum at 1.30 PM, reached Colva at 4.30.

For the return journey, left at 10.30 AM from Colva and while google maps was showing Ponda-Mollem route, I decided to stick to the Chorla route. Maybe being sunday, crossed Belgaum without any traffic. It was a smooth drive till 20kms before Pune. From then traffic was bad and continued on the Pune bypass as well. After entering the expressway, there was traffic still with many cars going towards Mumbai. Finally reached Navi Mumbai by 9.30 PM.

Many thanks to TAI members for the valuable advice and updates on the route.

Top Bottom