Mumbai - Pune Expressway Experience By TAI'ns

Thread Starter #31
Eway is a stretch of 96km from kalmboli to Dehuroad. Both the maps are not showing them.After dehuroad eway gets connected to old NH 4{Mumbai -Pune -Banglore}.The stretch from Dehu road to Nipani is part of NH-4.

Please put up the map of the expressway then.
I remember entering the yashwantrao chavan marg and seeing all those routes to go to lonavla , pimpri chinchvad etc.

Only the last few kms feel different to me. Than what is shown in the second map. But since my intention was to look for the shortest route to satara,kolhapur etc and following the gps,something might have gone amiss.

Simply , ridiculous , to see that there won't be a fine if your cover the distance in 35 mins.

Is it a trick to compel the commuters to take brake at food malls and fuel outlets ¿[evil]
If I have to take a break , I will take it at lonawala using the diversion becoz food , fruit quality at eway food malls was worst ever I experienced.

BTW, how much is the distance between two booths?
I have heard multiple things from multiple people, some say its 35 mins , some 42 mins. I have been timing myself over the last 2 weekends(:tongue:) and must add nobody did check anything , am also told some fresh cameras have been installed, though i am yet to spot one. In any case the times are ridiculous you could easily better them without even exceeding 100kmph( though official expressway limit is 80kmph).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34
@IR and others , can you please give me info on how to reach Matheran fromm Pune using EWAY and come back ? Is there any better alternative route?

Ill give you the best and fastest route

Hit eway -> Just before/at the Khalapur toll (take a right, cross over the opposite side, yes sighh so much for road safety in india that we are allowed to cross over right through the opp side!) -> the road leads you to old mumbai-pune highway -> take left towards mumbai and reach chowk phata -> take a right and reach karjat -> Take a left at the karjat chowk towards neral/matheran(this stretch of road was bad last time i went).

Its largely signboarded, so not much chances of getting lost!

P.S google maps does not show the khalapur exit, but it does exist and toll you have to pay is 124 INR!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36
@IR , thanks a lot , can you please give me km breakup ?

Public Account committee of MH has suggested brifen wire barricade to prevent vehicles crossing the median in case of accident .Any idea , what are they? Emergency parking bays on Expressway, says MSRDC - Express India

The committee has also adviced emergency parking bays to avoid vehicles getting parked on side strips , and toilet facility every 3 km[frustration] I am sure if these two suggestions , if implemented then E way will get converted in to either B way (Bazaar way) orD way (dysentery way):eek:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #37
Few more pics from Pune to Mumbai journey.pic of toll rates list as seen at Urse toll plaza i.e. First plaza from Pune.
First column shows charges for Pune to Mumbai E way stretch
Second column shows charges from Pune to Khalapur exit
Third column shows charges from Pune to Lonavala stretch.
2013-02-17 14.57.54-1-1.jpg

The spot where famous Marathi news reader and actress Bhakti Barve-Inamdar(wife of Shafi Inamdar) died on the spot in the wee hours of morning in an unfortunate accident. She was nicknamed as phulrani after her role in Marathi drama in & as' TEE PHULRANI' (She, the queen of flowers)

2013-02-17 17.15.21-1.jpg
See the flower plants planted by her fans after her..

2013-02-17 17.15.39-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have heard multiple things from multiple people, some say its 35 mins , some 42 mins. I have been timing myself over the last 2 weekends(:tongue:) and must add nobody did check anything , am also told some fresh cameras have been installed, though i am yet to spot one. In any case the times are ridiculous you could easily better them without even exceeding 100kmph( though official expressway limit is 80kmph).
Update :- These checks are indeed happening, please be aware [:)]. I havent spotted speed cameras as yet , but the cops are checking time between the 2 toll booths.

My mom happened to inform me about this. And I was like I can easily cruise above hundred and then have a break of 1 hour at food plaza and back at speed over 100. And result I won't get caught. So whatever they are doing is flawed.

Although the efforts to bring down over speeding is appreciated. I think there should be more cameras at multiple spots.

how will they determine the timing between two booths?

strictly talking from my experience , since i was asked only once to pay toll charges.

Thread Starter #41
@dharmesh, cop's purpose won't get flawed fully, as break would get the driver refreshed and rejuvenated.

BTW , I am intrested in knowing what are the various recipes available at food plazas on E way which one should not forget to try?
Also, which are the various restaurants near the diversions on E way as an alternative to the food plaza.?

@ir, It is better to follow the time /speed limit , though they are not checking the tickets physically.Because in Banglore , RTO website had fined the fellow Tain Highway Ranger for violating the speed limit and had attached cctv screen shot to the fine notice.HR learnt about it many days afterwards when he happened to check the website coincident ly.

@ superbad, time is mentioned on the toll ticket and cc tv coverage can be used as an evidence in the court of the law if a case is filed.

You were asked to pay only once for one of the following reason.
1) you need to pay the toll only once for full one side stretch of E way.
Or
2} if you are saying that you paid the toll only once for 2 way journey (i.e. Mumbai to pune and then Pune to Mumbai , that means one booth respected the VIP previlage available for your car while other booth didn't.

BTW , I am dobtful that you traveled on full E way stretch while coming and going .
I guess you might have used one of the diversion s and used the NH 4 too i.e. old
Mumbai Pune highway which is part of Golden quadrilateral'

Last edited:
Tornado,

My experience at Mumbai - Pune E way food plazas are not good. They give sub standard items at high price.

Lack of competetion could be the reason.

how will they determine the timing between two booths?
Your toll receipt has a time on it when you paid the toll, when you reach the other side they check the time taken.

BTW , I am intrested in knowing what are the various recipes available at food plazas on E way which one should not forget to try?
Also, which are the various restaurants near the diversions on E way as an alternative to the food plaza.?
The E-Way is hardly 1 to 1.5hr drive end to end, dont even bother waiting at these places or taking a detour out, better to find good places closer to the ends - i only fuel in the e-ways as hopefully the company run outlets would dispense standard quality fuel.

Thread Starter #44
]@IR, I was asking about the food places so as to get relief from that 35 \42 min cap.
Also, my E way visits are at such a time that I have to take break fast on my way , and restaurants in pune or mumbai are closed in the early morning so it is important to know for me.

Last edited:
]@IR, I was asking about the food places so as to get relief from that 35 \42 min cap.
Also, my E way visits are at such a time that I have to take break fast on my way , and restaurants in pune or mumbai are closed in the early morning so it is important to know for me.
Ill rather PM you something else to not fall in the cap[;)]

Top Bottom