Mumbai - Pune Expressway Experience By TAI'ns

NH17 tests your patience especially on a day with steady traffic , i would still prefer the expressway route - you can mix it up to and fro i guess - i find the expressway more relaxing comparatively
+100.
That was the only doubt i had.
I got some strange suggestions elsewhere hence the doubt.

I took the coastal route all the way from kerala till goa nearly last year, all said and done while it was very scenic , the average speed is pretty poor and you simply cannot make up on time(driving safely) - here is where the expressway comes to rescue(simply didnt have the patience to continue on NH17 further than Goa) a more relaxed and higher average speed(and offcourse more distance as well but time made up)

Hhmm nice thread. Well i have traveled on this beautiful highway but it has been almost 7 years when i last made a trip on this splendid Eway.

First time i traveled was back in 2004 and that was in our Maruti 800 when we made a road trip Delhi-Pune-Delhi-Moradabad. And it was my first long road trip and was amazing.

Then i made couple of trips in 2005 and 2006 and cars used were my fav. Safari and Honda City.

And the views get really beautiful when it rains (not hard though[;)]).

Thread Starter #19
One major flaw in the construction is size and strength of the road divider.
It has been noted n' number of times in case of accident , the trucks and tempos easily overrun the divider due to its hopless height (not more than an Indigenous speed breaker) and fall on to incoming right lane leading to one more collision famous marathi actors actors Abhyankar and Pendase died similarly.This gets worst as blackend(due to smoke) dividers are never repainted in time hampering the view of divider.

Caught in the middle, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

Above is a link and pic which exposes the engineering flaws.

Implicit speed limit imposed on the Eway:

If you cover the distance between the two tolls on expressway(~50km) in under half an hour (average speed 100 kmph), you will be fined Rs.200.

Can't wait to see longer queues at the tool booth on weekends with people arguing about the fine [:)]

Personally, I think the fine for speeding should be closer to Rs.1000 or higher, to act as a real deterrent.

Thread Starter #21
Implicit speed limit imposed on the Eway:

If you cover the distance between the two tolls on expressway(~50km) in under half an hour (average speed 100 kmph), you will be fined Rs.200.

Can't wait to see longer queues at the tool booth on weekends with people arguing about the fine [:)]

Personally, I think the fine for speeding should be closer to Rs.1000 or higher, to act as a real deterrent.
Simply , ridiculous , to see that there won't be a fine if your cover the distance in 35 mins.

Is it a trick to compel the commuters to take brake at food malls and fuel outlets ¿[evil]
If I have to take a break , I will take it at lonawala using the diversion becoz food , fruit quality at eway food malls was worst ever I experienced.

BTW, how much is the distance between two booths?

AFA, fine amount is concerned , more is the amount , more are chances that people taking breaks on Eway especially watching Ghat beuty

took the expressway trying to reach Goa.

the nh4 was great with good roads all round and I was feeling comfortable driving at speeds up to 140kmph on straights.

the driving was stress free since I did not had to worry about the incoming traffic.
but after nipani on diversion towards goa.,the roads were pathetic or say non existent.
had to drive in the first gear and all time saved was lost on that 10km stretch.
that area belongs as a border disputed area between Maharashtra and Karnataka.
when Maharashtra arrives,the roads do improve.

toll charges 99 bucks.

will I use that road?
yes but only when driving a Jetta Tsi in future.
:tongue:
the aerodynamic drag will suit a sedan or drag better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely he is referring to NH4, Pune Eway 165 single way all the way, 124 till Khalapur toll!
i took the entire mumbai pune e-way till nipani and was charged 99 bucks.

we had a VIP in our car, so the concession [glasses]

if i remember we had crossed nearly 8 tool booths.

only one tool gate had charged us 99 bucks ,others let us go.

Last edited:

Superbad and others, please clarify one thing that is the E way is like the same it used to be earlier ?? I mean to say some 15 years back, I know that how that E way used to be and today it is also like any other 4 way with huge jams in some point of time and I really feel old pune-Mumbai highway is better than that[:)]

Superbad and others, please clarify one thing that is the E way is like the same it used to be earlier ?? I mean to say some 15 years back, I know that how that E way used to be and today it is also like any other 4 way with huge jams in some point of time and I really feel old pune-Mumbai highway is better than that[:)]
there were more cars on the road. But it was due to the impending holidays at that point of time i.e eid and republic day were back to back along with the weekend.

The road there atleast the mum-pune expressway is 3 lane road on either side at most part of the expressway.

The advantages compared to say an NH 17.

Relaxed driving.
It was stress free. I could drive speeds in excess of 120kmph all day long on those roads and still wont feel tired.

Safety.

There is no traffic coming towards you . So no risky overtaking business
You do not need to plan your overtaking skills. Especially with the mhawk.
Just put Foot to the metal and you will pass that car you wish to overtake.

That said before entering toll booths i feel people especially truck drivers need to taught lane discipline.

They need to be educated that they should adhere to the leftmost lane.

It seems they find it easy at the rightmost lane and let the overtaking guy do all the crazy lane crossing.

Saw some jaguars and porsche doing zig zag turns on the expressway. That was dangerous and i felt they could be the next candidate for the RIPs. Guess they have been told [in their mind] to Keep a constant speed of 200kmph.

And seeing those lines at the toll booths i guess they might have not saved a lot of their time.

Driving aspect wise it is lovely and apart from the erratic drivers , the expressway is not that dangerous as it is made out to be.

Beauty aspect : the fields of satara does remind me of the fields of punjab when we had been in the 90s.

I am the ghat kind of a guy so i love NH17 for that.

Though my disappointment with Nh4 was overcome by amboli ghat.

Had it not been the case of we running late, i could have gazed at the setting sun for hours at the top of the amboli ghat.

Last edited:
@Superbad

Yes, i agree with you, but I clearly remember my first travel on this super e way during 1999 and it was really a bliss to drive and it is not so today. I just meant that[:)]

Thread Starter #29

@superbad, there is a gross misconception about Mumbai-Pune (Maharashtra) -Nipani(karnataka) route in your mind .Following link will help you out

Mumbai Pune Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

Top Bottom