Mumbai Black Cheetah Roaming in Tamil Nadu: Mahindra XUV500 W6

Thread Starter #16
Day 5 (27 Dec, 2017)
Route: Ramanathapuram – Dhanushkodi - Rameshwaram – Ramanathapuram
Distance: 170km

Today’s plan was to do local sightseeing, as I could not find any hotel availability at Rameshwaram, I stayed at Ramanathpuram a small town 50km before Rameshwaram. Main attraction of the day was holy Ramanathaswamy temple (Rameshwaram) which is one of the 12 Jyotirlings. Due to holiday season I thought most of the people will visit temple in the morning so I planned to cover Dhanushkodi first. Started from hotel at 8:30am, I was at Pamban Bridge by 10:15am stopped car on it, wind was very strong and it was difficult to stand, clicked few pics and then realized a train was crossing the bridge many tourist buses & cars were waiting for this moment.

Route 05.JPG

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Thread Starter #17
Left for Dhanushkodi it was one of the most memorable drive, it’s a 2 lane road which has blue ocean on both the sides. Reached Dhanushkodi by 11am parked car on the side of the road, from here you can see parts of Ram Setu, Sri Lanka is around 30km from this point.

Dhanushkodi Car Park
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.jpg

Ruins @ Dhanushkodi after 1964 Cyclone
09.JPG

10.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
After spending some 30min at Dhanushkodi left for Rameshwaram and on the way stopped at Kothandaramaswamy Temple, this is the place where Vibhishana was crowned as King of Lanka by Rama, parked car near temple, quickly got darshana and left, reached Rameshwaram by 1pm and parked car at Temple parking. Inquired about temple got to know Temple is closed daily between 1pm – 3pm, searched a restaurant had lunch and after that went to Agni Teertham spend some 10min and proceed for temple. It was 2:30pm and there were few people already in queue deposited shoes at locker and we too joined the temple queue. At 3 door opened and we went inside, a guide asked us if we need quick darshana, I agreed to it and he took us from a different route than others, we got darshana in 10min. We were out of temple by 4pm and reached parking by 4:15pm left for Ramanathapuram and reached hotel by 5:30pm, had early dinner and called it a day.

Kothandaramaswamy Temple
15.jpg

Ramanathaswamy temple (Rameshwaram)
16.JPG

Can we now drive till Dhanushkodi last tip point of India ? Few years back I heard the road was not there . Can you post more pictures of the end point?

Thread Starter #23
Can we now drive till Dhanushkodi last tip point of India ? Few years back I heard the road was not there . Can you post more pictures of the end point?
I think new road from Rameshwaram to Dhanushkodi got completed in the last of 2016 or early 2017, post that it is allowed to take car till last point, its very good straight 2 lane road (with no divider).

Beach at last point
01.jpg

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Ashoka Pillar last point, road end here
05.JPG

Straight 2 lane road
06.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Day 6 (28 Dec. 2017)
Route: Ramanathapuram – Thiruppullani – Sayalgudi – Thoothukudi - Tirunelveli - Kanyakumari - Tirunelveli
Distance: 350km
Travel Time: 8.25hrs (including 3hrs break)

Left Ramanathapuram at 7:45am, road between Ramanathapuram and 15-20kms before Thoothukudi was 2 lane undivided highway, road condition was good and traffic was moderate. Crossed Pudurpandiyapuram Toll Plaza on Madurai - Tuticorin Expressway by 9:40am. Between Thoothukudi and Tirunelveli it was 4 lane divided highway and road condition was good. Stopped at Thoothukudi to fill tank. Joined NH4 at Tirunelveli after that road condition was excellent. Crossed Nanguneri Toll Plaza by 10:55am, after crossing toll there were wind mills on both the sides of road, pulled car to side to click few pics.

route 06.JPG

01.jpg

02.jpg

02_01.jpg

02_02.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25
Reached Kanyakumari by 11:45am, parked at public parking and left for Vivekananda rock, it was 5min walk, after reaching beach came to know due to bad weather boat service was closed and we could not visit Vivekananda rock, clicked few pics from beach and spent some time looking sangam.

Vivekananda rock
03.JPG

Heavy winds
04.jpg

Sangam
05.jpg

06.JPG

Thread Starter #26
It was hot outside so thought to find a nice restaurant with good view, The Ocean restaurant on the top floor of Hotel Sea Shore has great view of city, Vivekananda rock and pier.

Restaurant
07.JPG

Vivekananda rock from restaurant
08.JPG

Pier from restaurant
09.JPG

Thread Starter #27
After nice lunch went to pier which was 5-10min walk from hotel, at pier wind was very strong spend some 20min there and left Kanyakumari by 2:45pm. Earlier plan was to stay at Kanyakumari but due to last minute plan could not find any hotel there so booked one at Tirunelveli which is around 80km away. Finally reached hotel by 4pm, had early dinner and retired for the day.

10.JPG

View from Pier
11.JPG

Vivekananda rock from pier
12.JPG

Wonderful NH-4 & wind mills
13.JPG

14.JPG

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Seems, you have missed the Sunset & sunrise in Kanyakumari (unless you have seen earlier). Many come to Kanyakumari and stay overnight just to enjoy the Sun set and rise. Also you have missed Vivekananda rock visit due to bad weather. Very unfortunate.

Thread Starter #29
Seems, you have missed the Sunset & sunrise in Kanyakumari (unless you have seen earlier). Many come to Kanyakumari and stay overnight just to enjoy the Sun set and rise. Also you have missed Vivekananda rock visit due to bad weather. Very unfortunate.
This was my second trip to Kanyakumari and have covered Vivekananda rock before, during this drive I just wanted to cover last tip of India.

It was hot outside so thought to find a nice restaurant with good view, The Ocean restaurant on the top floor of Hotel Sea Shore has great view of city, Vivekananda rock and pier.

Restaurant
View attachment 249269
Nice Travelogue. Keep Coming.
I think, we too stayed in the same hotel. The view is awesome.
They have separate charges for the view. Rooms are little expensive If it facing to the rock. Sun rise can be viewed from that side.

Our travelogue is here.

Top Bottom