Multijet Engine Problems & Solutions

is mjd reliable

• yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Hi
Reading this thread since begining. Its really interesting to know the details.
I own a Indica Vista QDJ 2009, which clocked 1.25L Km in my single handed. All the servicing and parts replacement is done proactively. The car is good companion and never let me down.
Three days back when I was just doing some routine check of Engine compartment, I was shocked to notice coolant colour in the coolant tank was black. So I opened and confirmed that it was Oil. Surprisingly there was no coolant in the engine oil sump/filler cap side. I immediately called to TATA service center, and risked to drive down around 25km from my place. Keeping eye on instrument cluster, thank god!! there was no any alarm light/signal. Also the car driven good (normal). At service center, I again checked the engine oil level with dip stick, it was sufficient (slightly less than max). The SA kept the car at their work shop, raised a Job Card. As it was already 6:00pm. Nothing was expected that day. Next day was Sunday. On Monday IO got call that the Oil Cooler is faulty and need to be replaced. I wanted to know what all the possible causes there may be. Also looking in to th age of car, what other things I should get checked/replaced, as I am concerned with reliability factor and wanted fuss free reliable drive.

Thread Starter #32
Hi
Reading this thread since begining. Its really interesting to know the details.
I own a Indica Vista QDJ 2009, which clocked 1.25L Km in my single handed. All the servicing and parts replacement is done proactively. The car is good companion and never let me down.
Three days back when I was just doing some routine check of Engine compartment, I was shocked to notice coolant colour in the coolant tank was black. So I opened and confirmed that it was Oil. Surprisingly there was no coolant in the engine oil sump/filler cap side. I immediately called to TATA service center, and risked to drive down around 25km from my place. Keeping eye on instrument cluster, thank god!! there was no any alarm light/signal. Also the car driven good (normal). At service center, I again checked the engine oil level with dip stick, it was sufficient (slightly less than max). The SA kept the car at their work shop, raised a Job Card. As it was already 6:00pm. Nothing was expected that day. Next day was Sunday. On Monday IO got call that the Oil Cooler is faulty and need to be replaced. I wanted to know what all the possible causes there may be. Also looking in to th age of car, what other things I should get checked/replaced, as I am concerned with reliability factor and wanted fuss free reliable drive.
Hi, I suspect that it's because of oil cooler fail, replace the part and flush the engine and coolant lines and fill with new.

similar issue i have faced 3 months ago , my Ritz diesel had engine oil in coolant tank . They replaced oil cooler assembly and flushed radiator and cooling system . it looks good at that time .
later i have seen traces of oil in coolant tank but to my surprise it is not increasing and engine oil level also not reducing . not sure if it's a fault again or the traces are old . Planning to drain the coolant and check

similar issue i have faced 3 months ago , my Ritz diesel had engine oil in coolant tank . They replaced oil cooler assembly and flushed radiator and cooling system . it looks good at that time .
later i have seen traces of oil in coolant tank but to my surprise it is not increasing and engine oil level also not reducing . not sure if it's a fault again or the traces are old . Planning to drain the coolant and check
Drained the coolant and very few traces of oil and it was from the coolant reservoir itself . Mechanic pulled out the coolant reservoir and cleaned . Looks good now

yea, there is a ring gear in flywheel, remove clean and refit flywheel properly, or change it .

rakheshraj, i am doing overhaul for all mjds in my town , which city are you at?
did the service center guys check for turbo ? does the fins shake?
is there any oil marks inside coolant tank?
is there any oil leaks under car?
Hi Mr.Krishna
i use a Tata Manza Quadrajet 90PS and Facing issues in acceleration and trying to find a solution but so far no...
How to reach you?
i am from Coimbatore.
Thankyou

Explain your issue Mr. Lancerlogan
1) My car's power bandwidth between 1000 to 2500 rpm is very very less and it struggling to pull between gears.... After 2500rpm it pull like jet... I feel the turbocharger opens at 2500rpm... This is a basic problem
2) many times it suddenly Stops acceleration... It accelerate very very slow... After few kilometres it recover slowly and it will be sluggish to drive... Next day it will be normal... My local mechanic cannot figure it out...

I have scanned the ecu for any trouble but it doesn't show anything wrong.... I have cleaned the EGR once recently... The vehicle logged 1.30L KMS... Service will be done every 6k interval... Smoke is very less ... sometimes I use to accelerate in idle and see some black smoke come out other than that you can't see any smoke....

Does the bandwidth power drop issue seen in all gears ?
Thankyou for your reply VISHNUCARSCRAZY. The problem is in 1,2&3rd gears. By 4th gear engine will be near to 2000rpm feeling Power lag between 1000 to 2000rpm. Irrespective to the gears. And generally I drived different manza. my car is little lazy. Temperature will rises will more at start stops. During that time I feel it is too much Lag.

Regards
Logan

Last edited by a moderator:
For say a 20km , open up the ride , revv it harder , say shifts in 2k - 4k rpm , just to make the turbo work a bit more , then you check this issue .
I am unable to pin point a cause , but what I feel in the lag in power might be turbo charger not freely giving output.

Hi, i hope this thread is still alive, some very good information here.
I hope someone could help as it seems alot of people have good knowledge on this engine here.

I have a fiat doblo 1.3 mjd
I bought it recently, it has 1 spark plug snapped in the head, apart from that nothing else broken.

The car drives superb no problems at all, untill it gets hot, (well i say until it gets hot, the problem only arises when the raditor fan turns on).

Once the engine is very hot after thrashing it, the fan comes on but it also starts blowing blue smoke on acceleration and the harder you accelerate the more comes out especially between 2.5k-4k revs, it also stinks inside , it chokes you.

Accompanied with this is a whistle which only happens between 3-5k revs on boost and is louder depending on how hard you accelerate, if your stuck on boost it will whistle sll the way through, it also whistles in natural when reved too limiter between 3-4k revs.

It also misfires at limiter if you hold the accelerator down, but does not smoke at max revs only during boost between 3-5k once at 5k it wont blow smoke.

I also had oil light come on after 1000 miles, the oil level has not dropped but seems contaminated by deisel? Very thin and smells weird.

Now this is when the fan is on, the car can be turned off for 30 seconds and turned back on, which turns the fan off and it will run as normal no symptoms no misfire no smoke, runs spot on. But as soon as that fan comes back on it starts again.

The inlet maniflld was caked in carbon and i noticed sleaks of oil on pipe which comes off the turbo air intake.
The car is a 2007 fiat doblo 1.3 mjd has done 60k miles.

1) My car's power bandwidth between 1000 to 2500 rpm is very very less and it struggling to pull between gears.... After 2500rpm it pull like jet... I feel the turbocharger opens at 2500rpm... This is a basic problem
2) many times it suddenly Stops acceleration... It accelerate very very slow... After few kilometres it recover slowly and it will be sluggish to drive... Next day it will be normal... My local mechanic cannot figure it out...

I have scanned the ecu for any trouble but it doesn't show anything wrong.... I have cleaned the EGR once recently... The vehicle logged 1.30L KMS... Service will be done every 6k interval... Smoke is very less ... sometimes I use to accelerate in idle and see some black smoke come out other than that you can't see any smoke....

Just get the turbo charger checked. The issue seems to be turbo not spooling. It can be anything from a simple hose to a faulty turbo. Warm the car for mins before you start for the first time and when you above to park ride below the turbo range for the last few kma

Last edited:
Hi, i hope this thread is still alive, some very good information here.
I hope someone could help as it seems alot of people have good knowledge on this engine here.

I have a fiat doblo 1.3 mjd
I bought it recently, it has 1 spark plug snapped in the head, apart from that nothing else broken.

The car drives superb no problems at all, untill it gets hot, (well i say until it gets hot, the problem only arises when the raditor fan turns on).

Once the engine is very hot after thrashing it, the fan comes on but it also starts blowing blue smoke on acceleration and the harder you accelerate the more comes out especially between 2.5k-4k revs, it also stinks inside , it chokes you.

Accompanied with this is a whistle which only happens between 3-5k revs on boost and is louder depending on how hard you accelerate, if your stuck on boost it will whistle sll the way through, it also whistles in natural when reved too limiter between 3-4k revs.

It also misfires at limiter if you hold the accelerator down, but does not smoke at max revs only during boost between 3-5k once at 5k it wont blow smoke.

I also had oil light come on after 1000 miles, the oil level has not dropped but seems contaminated by deisel? Very thin and smells weird.

Now this is when the fan is on, the car can be turned off for 30 seconds and turned back on, which turns the fan off and it will run as normal no symptoms no misfire no smoke, runs spot on. But as soon as that fan comes back on it starts again.

The inlet maniflld was caked in carbon and i noticed sleaks of oil on pipe which comes off the turbo air intake.
The car is a 2007 fiat doblo 1.3 mjd has done 60k miles.
May be Oil Cooler problem.

Top Bottom