Mr Black: XUV 5OO My New Companion.

Thread Starter #31
An Update

First 1000 Kms in 10 days then then another 1000 Kms in next 20 days; What was i doing? Did i purchased XUV for a show piece? Why i didn't drive it in these 20 days unlike i did it in first 2 days? What is wrong with me?

I Love driving. CHECK
I Love outing. CHECK
I Love living life. CHECK

All right boxes were ticked, but still i was away from Mr Black for few days. Why i am so concered is becasue of the fact that i am not the person of trait who is ignorant, May be XUV is the only vehicle in my life so far that have run so little in even after a month's of ownership. Before buying the vehicle i was expecting 3000+ KMs of travelling per month & being an SUV i would not be wrong if mileage figures closes 4000-4500 KM mark.

Anyway, It was my work assingment which kept me busy in these days and i hardly had time to enjoy the drive. Now i'm back in senses so life is back on track. I have clearly told the Directors of the company NOT to assing me those tasks where my life is compromised.

You never know how long you'll survive but surving is not as important as "Living" is. (Oh my god ; am i a Psychologist now), you can see from my writing that official work pressure impacted my mental imbalance. Anyways its better late then never so i quickly decieded to make a trip to friends. Mohali (Chandigarh) was it. Few phone calls to friends and it was all fixed.

I filled the tank up to brim, It sipped 47.92L. Tyre pressure was corrected to 32Psi (front and Rear) because we were 6 who had to travel. Our journey started at sharp 3.00am in the morning with very light traffic at NH-1. With couple of breaks it took us 4 hours for 250 Kms and we reached our destination at exact 7.00am. As per OBD the mileage was fluctuating between 18.00-20.00 KM/L with speed varying from 80 to 110 KMPH. Out of the red fuel blocks which are 10 in number in instrumnet cluster only 2 blocks disappeared in these 250 KMs drive. Enjoyed the breakfast with one of our relatives and then hanged out with friends the whole day, some shopping, some knick-knack, some spicy road stuff and some sort of get together in evening. In real sense we were enjoying the life. Now i realize that it was real me. [Sometimes life doesn't give you opportunity, you have to make out on your own; Its worth it]

Something interestign happened on way back. Started in afternoon the next day, Traffic was moderate and by no means heavy. I kept the ligth foot and sailed without any hiccup. I was at around 100 Km/Hr when i was overtook by bunch of fellow youngesters in their Innova. To be honest i don't know why were they circumfrencing me but every now and then they speed up and then slow down. I lowered my speed to 85~90 Km/hr but all this happened for some 10-12 Kms. I wanted to let them pass me and gave them every opportunity to do so but they were stubborn (I believe they wanted to race). I dinn't wanted to do it as car is still in run-inn period but driver inside me kept prompting to press the metal for just few minutes. I struggled a lot inside on my own and then finally heart won over head. Pressed the gas pedal slowly &..

90-100 > Innova did the same (Youngsters inside were laughing)
100-110 > Innova did the same (Youngsters inside were laughing)
110-120 > Innova did the same (Youngsters inside were laughing)
120-130 > Innova did the same (At this point of time the youngsters inside looked more concerned)
130-140 > Innova did the same ( All younsters appeared silent)
[There were two reasons for gradually increasing the speed. Firstly my car was in run-inn period and i didn't wanted engine to strain ; & Secondly, i wanted to see the impression on youngester's faces) By no means i wanted to induldge in racing, I respect others on road equally as i respect myself.
140-145 > Innova was strained and was hardly able to cope up (All Kids appeared afraid, two of them even wore there seat-belts at this time)
145-160 > XUV was way-way ahead and much more was left under pedal. After few seconds could not even spot Innova in ORVMs.

Gradually lowered the speed to 100 and put it on cruise control.

After the end of this epic, I was sad as well as happy.
Sad because : It was illegal.
Happy because : Those two kids wore their seat belts & in future may be not instigate anyone to race (atleast with Innova to XUV)

Few Ornaments for Mr Black which were purchased when less driven.

Body Cover : I knew that my work assingment will not allow me to drive it so it was purchased proactively. For almost 10 days it wore this.

body_cover.jpg

Side Steps : My son (who is 20 months young now) had difficulty in entering the cabin, He likes to do things on his own (Like father like son), Never took my help but kept trying and trying so just to make his work little easier these side steps were purchased. This accessory is NOT authorized by Mahindra as you can see from the desing but this was the only desing which was more flat and more suitable for my kid. Though almost twice expensive than OEM accessory but as i said earlier "Enjoy Life". Why shall life drive you, why don't you drive the life. Now every time my son jumps over this step to get inside; I smile and its priceless.

Side_Step.jpg

Rear Bumber Guard : I might not bang into someone's rear but others can.

rear_guard.jpg

Last edited:
Good report again about the accesories.
And i really love that chase and race many times.
160 KMPH really awesome man.
How was the experience at that speed.
engine noise ?
road grip ?
braking ?

Thread Starter #33
Good report again about the accesories.
And i really love that chase and race many times.
160 KMPH really awesome man.
How was the experience at that speed.
engine noise ?
road grip ?
braking ?

It was terrific , it was for the first time that i took Mr Black up to this speed(160 KM/Hr) but stayed there only for short duration, at this point engine was breathing comfortably with ample power on tap. Gear ratios have been carefully calibrated, so in entire power band the acceleration appeared smooth enough. Steering do built up some weight as vehicle gains speeds but i personally prefer this way. Audible engine clatter was very much acceptable, though i didn't noted down the RPM at this speed (was concentrated on road) but i guess it should have been around 2700-3000. Road grip appeared excellent too because of two probable reasons : Firstly ; Road was National Highway so it was silky smooth (at-least NH-1); those who have traveled on NH-1 can undoubtedly agree & Secondly ; It was straight, so no sudden cornering but grip levels appeared sufficient too, with 235/65 rubber the grip levels are on better side but my plans are for 255/65 rubber with downsized rim to meet my requirements. I never had problems with brakes (touch-wood), As i posted earlier that with every new XUV, M&M is making it a better vehicle. I am happy that in 2500 Kms of ownership, i have not faced any braking noise.[clap]

Yes, Mr Black have covered 2500 Kms so far & is ready to head North (this weekend) on its 1500 KM journey. If situation allows i have plan to take it to Srinagar too.

Fuel Economy, So far it has covered 2512 KMs and as per OBD "Distance to Empty" is just 42 KMs. So after following calculation:

30-Aug-2012 : 10 L (5 L factory + 5 L free by dealer)
30-Aug-2012 : 60.50 L (Full Tank)
13-Aug-2012 : 65.34 L (Full Tank)
29-Sep-2012 : 47.92 L (Full Tank)

So total Diesel consumed = 183.76 L & total expected distance = 2512+40 = 2552 KM, the mileage will be 2552/183.76 = 13.89 KM/L. This includes at-least 10-12 hours of idle standing (just with AC) + 50% City + 50% Highway driving (100% AC on all time) , so this appears a respectable FE figures. I expect this FE to go up in my coming trip to North. Will keep you updated !

good figures those.

happy to note that there is no grinding noise on your XUV.

more the pictures , more the merrier

Thread Starter #35
good figures those.

happy to note that there is no grinding noise on your XUV.

more the pictures , more the merrier

Yes, there is NO grinding noise instead I sometimes hear "thud" sound from front left suspension, will get it checked this week at 5000 KM service.

Just been back from 2200 KM trip, Surpassed my decided stop at Srinagar, went up to Gulmarg which is around 65 KMs from Srinagar, temperature @ -1 degrees, snow covered mountains, review coming soon !!

Thread Starter #37
Do you feel the thud on the steering too ?
I am not too sure if "thud" is transferring up to steering but a mild thud is definitely on front left side, Its not always when i hear this thud but when front tire goes in some road undulations as it is difficult to replicate. Roughly out of 100 times i hear this thud approximately 10-15 times. This "thud" sound started appearing only after 3500-4000 KMs when drive terrain was all hilly and broken.

I have read somewhere on forums that exact problem was because of some loose bolt on shock-absorbers which was fixed during at ASS, I expect my case to be similar, however in worst case, even if any part needs replacement; good thing is that it will be covered under warranty.

By the way how is your drive so far?

it could be either the steering stabiliser bush or tighten the bolt (under the rubber bush) on the two deep corners as you peep in to the bonnet

Thread Starter #39
Re: Mr Black: XUV 5OO My New Companion.(5000 KM crossed)

it could be either the steering stabiliser bush or tighten the bolt (under the rubber bush) on the two deep corners as you peep in to the bonnet
Yes, it was steering stabilizer bush which had gone kaput!

UPDATE:

Have got first free service done at 5082 KMs, I had been following related threads from couple of months so i was somewhat aware of the issues & their solutions, there were few inherent issues which came as its share when i took the delivery but none of those were major issues. Also it was "Joy" of having a new car and i wanted to enjoy every bit of it rather then "mourn" over issues !

Issues which were inherent at the time of delivery :
1> Driver door required hard push to close.
2> Notchy 1st and 2nd gears.
3> Dark triangle on low beam.
4> Wiper blades were of poor quality, didn't wipes water completely from windshield.

Issues which creep-ed in, in last 5000 KMs.
5> "Thud" sound from front left suspension.
6> 12V socket in middle row stopped working.
7> Water spray/stream from jets were inadequate to clean the windshield.
8> High beam was way too high, it used to blind the incoming traffic. (Not an issue actually)
9> Cover over IRVM (attached to windshield) became loose, used to vibrate a lot.
10> "Time" inside display unit reset-ed on its own.
11> Brakes sometimes made grinding sound, only at very low speeds (I will not relate this to brake grinding issue).

ASS experience at Sri Durga Automobiles, Rama Road, Delhi.
- They open at 8.00am sharp.
- Very clean working conditions.
- Service advisers listen to your problems very carefully, properly note them down, didn't deny even minute issues.
- Separate customer lounge exclusive for XUV owners, neat and clean.
- Owners/attendents/drivers not allowed in servicing areas ; however you can always see your car all the time from first floor of lounge.
- On time delivery of your vehicle after service.

I must say SAs are very well trained, they don't just "hear" you, they "LISTEN" to you. All of the above issues were reported to service adviser, all were noted down, all were fixed in appox 5 hours.

1> Driver door required hard push to close. (Adjusted and its fixed)
2> Notchy 1st and 2nd gears. (Gear Lever adjusted, problem fixed atleast 50%, only 1st gear is bit notchy, as per SA it will be smooth after some usage, 2nd gear is butter smooth now)
3> Dark triangle on low beam. (Beam adjusted to great extent)
4> Wiper blades were of poor quality, didn't wipes water completely from windshield. (Wiper blade replaced under warranty, as per SA its of new design)
5> "Thud" sound from front left suspension. (Both front stabilizer bushes were replaced under warranty, again as per SA its new design)
6> 12V socket in middle row stopped working. (Fuse replaced under warranty)
7> Water spray/stream from jets were inadequate to clean the windshield. (Wiper motor replaced, its new Laminat motor now, they are doing it for all XUVs under warranty)
8> High beam was way too high, it used to blind the incoming traffic. (Not an issue actually) (Adjusted)
9> Cover over IRVM (attached to windshield) became loose, used to vibrate a lot. (Fixed)
10> "Time" inside display unit reset-ed on its own. (Software updated, lets see how long its goes)
11> Brakes sometimes made grinding sound, only at very low speeds (I will not relate this to brake grinding issue). (Brakes were cleaned, As per SA brake pads will be replaced at 10,000 KM service under warranty as new design of brake pads is yet to be launched)

Things done on routine service:
- Engine Oil changed to Maxmile (6 Litres) : Rs 1448.00 + taxes
- Diesel Oil Filter : Rs 240.00 + taxes
- Distilled water : Rs 50.00 + taxes
- Lubrication at underbody parts, synthetic lubrication of transmission oil : Rs 800.00 + taxes
- Battery checkup : Rs xx.xx (don't remember)
- Underbody coating checking and some touch-ups.
- Teflon coating.
- Coating on silencers and iron parts under body.
- Full Washing and Vacuum cleaning.
- Dry Cleaning : Rs 1000.00 + taxes ( but were waived off later)

Total bill came was Rs 4081/- was reduced to Rs 3052.00/-.

All in all i will rate M&M 9.5/10 in servicing department (atleast in my case), I was not expecting this level of service. Working was quite systematic in the workshop area, Service cost seems justified, all left me impressed.[clap]

Changes observed after servicing:

Had just been to office and home, have driven around 100 Kms or so after service, noticed following:
- Engine is more silent now.
- In gear acceleration is more smooth now.

This observation is based on just 100 Kms drive, will keep you updated !

Happy Driving & Happy Deepawali![cheers]

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Very nice write up mate!

1) The experience with innova reminds me of a case that happened in our town. A Scorpio of fishy looking people did such behaviour, and when the Our town man stopped the car out of frustration and tried to talk with scorpio people, they were pro goondas (bad guys ) and looted the gentleman. Its a trick to Make people frustrated and start a heated talk, then they loot you.

2) Your SA is very good. Lucky you.

3) Even my 1st and 2nd gear are hard.

4) XUV low beam has aggressive Cuttoffs (Triangle thingy) and I have added LED headlights for the same.

5) I've done 175 in my XUV, But some youtube'er have done 200+. Perhaps XUV is the highest performing Indian SUV.

6) My fuel efficienly in 80~120 driving style is 12.5~13.5 only.

My thread-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oo-detailed-review-decals-audio-led-mods.html

Last edited:

Top Bottom