MPV War: Toyota Innova vs Renault Lodgy vs Maruti Ertiga vs Honda Mobilio...

Best MPV, your choice & ownership experience

• Toyota Innova

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Mahindra Xylo

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Maruti Ertiga

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Chevrolet enjoy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Renault Lodgy

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Honda Mobilio

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
We manage to squeeze our luggage in whatever small boot space left and keep our bags under the seats, which worked out well so far! [:D]

We need to compromise on one over another. I would better compromise on boot for 3rd row comfort.
In that matter the Ertiga is a bit better. If the under floor box is removed, 2 medium size roller bags can be fit easily along with some more on top of them. Only thing I miss is split 3rd row.

Last edited:
Xylo without any shade of doubt has most spacious third row, I have been there once and I find is adequately spacious.
Ertiga is the smart little kid who can carry seven 5'10" guys in a bit of comfort with some trickery done by adjusting first and second rows but of the seven people on board, none can stretch out; except maybe front seats occupants. Ertiga owners please tell me what happens then? Second row is higher than first and third is even more and if seven people are on board then the second row occupants will always have their knees bruising against front seats and third row ones on second row seats. All in all, neither can be fully comfortable. Believe me, I have driven a ZDi to Vaishno Devi, Srinagar, Pahalgam, Amritsar and back to Delhi with 5 on board. So Ertiga is basically a fantastic and super spacious 5 seater with a BIG boot and if you rake it this way, then its an awesome car. And yes, the engine is poor! I have seen nightmares while making uphill starts and it just needs to be revved and then some momentum comes. Ertiga owners, please don't tell me how you flew across Himalayas sitting behind that puny 1248 cc thing.

Xylo has a gem of an engine but poor interior quality (Comparable to Alto I'd say) and sloppy dynamics. So is the rear suspension, all this just kills the joy else the engine is fantastic and in terms of performance it beats the innova hands down and in terms of dynamics and ergonomics; Xylo is a disaster.

What makes Innova the king then? Overall package. You need ride quality; it has. You need handling; it has. You need good quality interior; it has. You need good comfort all round; it has, and a lot more. In fact I'd say that others ar still not there even after innova has spent 10 years in market.

Hello fellow TAI-GER'S,
Voted for Mahindra Xylo for the following reasons:-
1. Spacious 9 seater.
2. Refined and the most powerful M-Hawk engine with 120ps of power on tap. Fuel efficient with 14 Km/Ltr ARAI
3. Choice of two engine. mDI CRDe and M-Hawk, the former is available for entry level variants
3. Niche features for an MPV, Cruise control and Voice Command System.
4. Improved hydro-formed chassis with new age cushion suspension.

Thread Starter #34
So Ertiga is basically a fantastic and super spacious 5 seater with a BIG boot and if you rake it this way, then its an awesome car. And yes, the engine is poor! I have seen nightmares while making uphill starts and it just needs to be revved and then some momentum comes. Ertiga owners, please don't tell me how you flew across Himalayas sitting behind that puny 1248 cc thing.
Ertiga diesel have best power to weight ratio in segment so its not underpowered, yes it have turbo issue below 2k RPM, when u need power & have to go uphills just keep RPM above 2k & it goes smoothly.
Power to weight.JPG

Ertiga diesel have best power to weight ratio in segment so its not underpowered, yes it have turbo issue below 2k RPM, when u need power & have to go uphills just keep RPM above 2k & it goes smoothly.
View attachment 170393
When you consider power/weight ratio, I believe one should take fully laden weight and not the kerb weight. Especially when one is comparing the MUV where we are comparing the carrying capacity of 7 adults with luggage!
By adding roughly 500 kg to the weight, the 71.8 figure will take a substantial hit.

Two corrections in your table - New Aria power is 148. You have used the Aria 4*4 weight in the above table. When comparing the MUV's use 4*2 Aria's weight, which is around 2000 Kg.

Innova is truly a good package.
Points in favour of innova-
Stablity,and ride comfort(till 3 rd row seats no strong judders or shakes felt).
Toyota engine life guarenteed.

Points in favour of Lodgy-
Renault Diesel- 1.5L engine,proven one for balanced power and fuel economy,if looking for city based MPV,its the leader.
Cruise control- None of the others have i think(Honda mobilio-i am not sure on that)

Ertiga- Family MPV
Occasional Guests , else a car for 4 members.
ASS comparitively cheapest in lot.

voted for lodgy

innova is innova period nothing comes closer to it in current indian market

i have checked lodgy and felt it is better than ertiga

I will not vote. Have travelled in an Innova but none of others. Don't like to vote for any as all have their own set of flaws.

Innova- Gas guzzler
Xylo - Good seating but unstable (high Center Of Gravity)
Ertiga - Cramped
Enjoy- Chinese tin can
Lodgy- Too boxy design
Mobilio - Good one but too low for an MPV
There is NOT a single flawless MPV on this planet. Every model has its flaws and our decisions are made based on whether those flaws matter to us or not! Heck, even the venerable Renault Espace has flaws!

I've voted for the Lodgy and will be voting with the wallet too in the coming days. I've lived with an Ertiga for the last 2.5 years and I loved it but the main gripe is the powerless engine. I know it's got adequate power given its size but out on the highway or the hills, I know its a tiny motor toiling under the hood. Sometimes on steep inclines, by the time I shift from 1st to 2nd, the engine has already lost steam and I gotta go back to 1st. Frustrating really! I have vowed to buy a Maruti only after they have an alternate diesel engine. Until then, its adios Maruti. The Lodgy ticks most of my boxes, mainly the sweet 108 bhp 245 nm engine with a lovely 6 speed gearbox. Also love the excellent ride quality and 3 row AC with 3 row chargers. Other gripes, I can live with and my vote goes for the Lodgy.

Last edited:
Comparing vehicles across a super-wide price band and engine options isn't fair. It makes it very difficult to pick the winner here.

Budget No problem : Innova is the clear winner here. I felt much more secure and comfy in it, in both the front rows. When I tested the 3rd row (I am 178cm tall) felt cramped but LEAST cramped 3rd row.

MPV for masses: You've got to give the Trophy to Maruti here. Say, a couple have 2 children and the parents (the answer to "whose parents ?" can be a new thread in itself) live with them. Look no further than Ertiga. But the 3rd row is purely for children. This is no Swift and there are some (heavy) compromises and the driver has to drive within the limitations and with the safety of those in 3rd row in mind.

MPV for a wee bit elite masses, but expecting more fun : Mobilio with that 1.5L Petrol Engine. Here too the 3rd row is more suited for children. This is no City and there are some (big) compromises and the driver has to drive within the limitations and with the safety of those in 3rd row in mind.

MPV for Mahindra lovers : Need to put lot of adults and have all around fun inside car (except for the poor driver) ? Xylo. Keep the Speed within limits and the fun continues; even for the 3rd row passengers.

As I have not experienced the Enjoy & Lodgy, I can't comment on them. So, here they are, four winners in four Sections but within the same Category.

Xylo without any shade of doubt has most spacious third row, I have been there once and I find is adequately spacious.
Ertiga is the smart little kid who can carry seven 5'10" guys in a bit of comfort with some trickery done by adjusting first and second rows but of the seven people on board, none can stretch out; except maybe front seats occupants. Ertiga owners please tell me what happens then? Second row is higher than first and third is even more and if seven people are on board then the second row occupants will always have their knees bruising against front seats and third row ones on second row seats. All in all, neither can be fully comfortable. Believe me, I have driven a ZDi to Vaishno Devi, Srinagar, Pahalgam, Amritsar and back to Delhi with 5 on board. So Ertiga is basically a fantastic and super spacious 5 seater with a BIG boot and if you rake it this way, then its an awesome car. And yes, the engine is poor! I have seen nightmares while making uphill starts and it just needs to be revved and then some momentum comes. Ertiga owners, please don't tell me how you flew across Himalayas sitting behind that puny 1248 cc thing.
I have taken my Ertiga to all over the Himalayas and I managed mine pretty easily. And not only once but many times have gone to Shimla, Narkanda,etc. Yes there is turbo lag so all one needs to do is drop a gear and done problem solved. More amount of gear shifts are required in mountains, I agree but not as such a problem to irritate the driver. So I do not get your case here.

... Yes there is turbo lag so all one needs to do is drop a gear and done problem solved. More amount of gear shifts are required in mountains, I agree but not as such a problem to irritate the driver. So I do not get your case here.
Well, when going up-hill, an adequately powered engine would be more comfortable to be in 3rd gear (4th on the Shimla race track) on full load. A less powerful engine will force you to downshift more frequently. Even on Plains, drivers prefer NOT to downshift and continue to irritate those behind them. These drivers will easily induce incidents on ghat sections. 3rd - 2nd - 3rd - 2nd ... so on, doesn't help those willing to downshift enjoy the drive. This is forced, when BOTH hands are busier with the steering.

You decide to drive at 2nd, the Engine noise takes the fun away, if cabin doesn't have good sound insulation. When I spent 4 weeks in Gangtok, Innova was the best, Scorpio was 2nd best, Bolero forced more cotton in ears and an i20 Petrol performed much better than its Diesel sibling. Petrols are better, generally in Ghats; for a Diesel to put up its hand and to be counted, the Engine CC has to go up. Fiat's 1.6L multijet will be ideal on an Ertiga (designed for 7) in those terrains. I believe this is what TSIVipul is bringing to the table.

View attachment 170393
Sirji numbers are always half the story and reaching a conclusion based on numbers isn't good. Else get the gear ratios, power and torque curves etc and calculate again the variation in net torque reaching the wheels in different gears at different speeds. That only can give us a clear picture of the performance one can expect out of the car with complete details of in net power and torque variation in each gear and then we can have the real power and torque to weight ratio variations. Till then, numbers are half the story said. After all the vehicle has a number of gears while these numbers just tell about the power and torque at your crank but not what we get at wheels and the numbers those really matter are the ones we get on wheels. I guess you will agree on this one.

Rest I wish some day you get a chance to stop in the middle of a hairpin at its inner edge, that time i'd love to see how you manage to keep the Ertiga above 2k.

In my life, the Innova never demanded me to pull handbrake while starting on steep inclines, just slot first gear and the grunt is ample to make it surge ahead giving you enough time to leave the brake and move your foot to accelerator, none else made me feel that way barring the Scorpio mHawk, especially the new one which just loves crushing the hills.

While driving an Ertiga, every uphill start needs assistance from handbrake even if there are 5 people on board. Its something like my Corolla is, making it surge ahead is tough and after that one can keep the pace, its just that it require a higher number of shifts.

I have taken my Ertiga to all over the Himalayas and I managed mine pretty easily. And not only once but many times have gone to Shimla, Narkanda,etc. Yes there is turbo lag so all one needs to do is drop a gear and done problem solved. More amount of gear shifts are required in mountains, I agree but not as such a problem to irritate the driver. So I do not get your case here.
Although I have answered everything above but sirji I have a question for you and I am seeking its answer. Since you have also driven on hilly terrain in an Ertiga, I hope you may have driven on some narrow roads too.
Now what you have to say about the times you are charging ahead in second gear or maybe third and suddenly you find that you have to slow down or even stop on a steep incline to give way to some heavy vehicle charging towards you in opposite direction? If you still get enough time to downshift then accept my hats off. Personally I always got the time to downshift only if o am stopped or the heavy vehicle has passed on the narrow patches. Why? Because I am unable to take left hand off the wheel because of twisties.
Such patches can be easily found on the way to gangotri, badrinath, kedarnath etc.

...outright quality.
Really?
Though it is a relative term, for quality, I have to look elsewhere. Sorry.

My experience on driving an Ertiga Diesel on Ghats !

Ertiga is a nice relaxed cruiser on a flat highway. On Ghats/steep inclines, when fully loaded [ 5 people + luggage], it struggles where as my m-Hawk roars past everything else on slopes.

Coming from an M-Hawk since 2009, Whenever I drive our Ertiga diesel,I feel as if I am pushing the engine to death every time I have to stop and move on slopes.

Having said that, it’s light and very responsive steering, coupled with easy gear shifts, one can negotiate those twists and turns quite easily. In fact, my left hand is always on the gear stick with my right hand doing the job at the wheel even while negotiating hair-pins.

@type-r
What TSI & vijay said is 100% true. I drove Ertiga for mere 20-30kms and in no way to give exact comparision. But as a person who owns Xylo/XUV and driven Innova to an extent, I can easily say Innova to be the best & Xylo is the next one in line. Sorry to say, Ertiga may be VFM product but it lacks the power that the I & X have.

Trust me, even with fully loaded Innova, I have never had any issue on my way to Munnar, which has pretty nasty steep inclines with bad patch of road. The same road was done in Xylo without any issue. On both occasions, I never felt any power loss. Every trip in our Xylo to hills will always be with 6+ adults and nor once we had any issues. But with Ertiga I struggled hard on mall parking slope, with just 5 adults! The slope is not even too steep as the others I've mentioned.

You need to be clear with that, I don't find shifting gears often relaxing. Where I can pull with 3rd gear in Xylo, I need to be in 2nd with Ertiga! Afterall, that is one puny engine compared to what other's offer and as you said, power-to-weight ratio and other's have not going to help you with your driving. End of the day, you have to face the less power by downshifting and comparing 2.5L v 1.3L is just pathetic!

I totally agree with you. When it comes to drivability, Innova rocks. I dont know much about M-Hawk as have driven XUV very briefly.

As there is a saying, there is no replacement for displacement but I am just trying to say that don't rule out the Ertiga just because it has a 1.3 engine.

Top Bottom