Movie Reviews!

Me too watched it last week. I agree to all the things you said except Esha Gupta, her character made me think am I watching a movie or stage play [lol]. She is shown as a tetchy woman, and she constantly reminds this fact to viewers with her angry face throughout her screentime like a video game character. Akshay Kumar did his part well as usual, so did Illeana. The supporting characters are shown too loud and annoying. The production design is top-notch in most part, but at many places it lacked the 50's feel and appeared to be very contemporary. The graphics used in a scene to show Indian flag waving in the ship in the background was of Shaktiman and CID standard [:D]. They have used Neeraj Pandey's name to bring the crowd to theaters by giving the title as 'Neeraj Pandey's Rustum', where he is only one of the 7 producers. In short it is Nanavati case with some added patriotism drama and songs. Not a must watch film, but choose it over the Hrithik's movie if you are all set to watch a movie this weekend.

Rating: 3/5
yes agreed with both of you (Lameassonwheels & Akash1886) but IMO the movie was total disappointing, the suspense or the story wasn't strong enough as they trailer was portrayed. It not the case that the actors or the star cast ruined it but the story wasn't strong enough.

Akshay Kumar - acting was impeccable - 9/10
Cinematography - 9/10
Music / lyrics - 7/10
Story - 5/10

Overall rating i would agree on - 2.5/5

yes agreed with both of you (Lameassonwheels & Akash1886) but IMO the movie was total disappointing, the suspense or the story wasn't strong enough as they trailer was portrayed. It not the case that the actors or the star cast ruined it but the story wasn't strong enough.

Akshay Kumar - acting was impeccable - 9/10
Cinematography - 9/10
Music / lyrics - 7/10
Story - 5/10

Overall rating i would agree on - 2.5/5
Regarding story it was open to all. Everybody knows what actually happened back in 1959. So it is not about the suspense or the story. This movie is about the presentation of a known story. And i think it did well [:)]

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Pete’s Dragon : Movie review

Director: David Lowery
Cast: Oakes Fegley, Bryce Dallas Howard, Robert Redford

Do not expect anyone to breathe fire in Pete’s Dragon. It’s that kind of a town, in that kind of a Disney film, in that kind of a remake.

The dragon doesn’t singe, it sneezes; it ain’t scaly, but furry; it isn’t reptilian, more leonine. It still does fly, but magically, it can also just disappear. When the dragon and a boy (Oakes Fegley) it adopted after his parents died in a car crash in the woods are discovered by the world, it reacts more with confusion than anger.

And yet, the dragon is the star with the widest range of emotions in this film. The rest just look upon it in wonder, and when he comes into their midst, with even more wonder.

There was scope here of telling the story of a town that changes when it manages to capture a dragon, but the film isn’t interested in it. There is a conservation message, but it is only feebly delivered by the consistently bright-eyed Bryce Dallas Howard. It’s left to Robert Redford to do the film a huge favour and appear as the grizzly man with advice such as “keeping eyes open” and “because you don’t see something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist”.

Golden words, but that this advice needs to be given at all says everything.

Source:

Last edited:
Has anyone watched Jason Bourne ?

The series is quite good, but still i have yet got chance to see the latest part.

Thanks,
Satyajeet

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mechanic:Resurrection - Movie review

Jason Statham returns as the hitman but fails to keep track with its prequel

Cast: Jason Statham, Jessica Elba, Tommy Lee Jones
Director: Dennis Gansel

An African warlord who eats his rivals’ hearts, an Australian mines magnate who once trafficked children, and an American arms dealer who now deals in Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles. Arthur Bishop (Statham) has a lot more on his plate this time than the 2011 prequel. And then there is the real dish: Gina (Alba). She is a former American “Special Military Operative” once posted in Afghanistan, who now runs a shelter for trafficking victims in Cambodia. She falls for Bishop over two lingering glances and several states of undress, and then spends her role waiting for him to rescue her.

Bishop, a trained assassin who went into hiding after putting up an act of being dead last time, is hauled back into business by former friend-turned enemy Craine. As Craine tells Bishop, patiently, there are many ways to track people down these days, such as “facial recognition” tech and “satellite tracking”. This to a man who wields a vernier calliper to plan the breach of a jail. Later, Bishop also mixes two chemicals in test-tubes to cause the glass base of a swimming pool to crack (the film’s most impressive shot).

Craine wants Bishop to make three kills or Gina dies. Three becomes somewhere closer to 300, and Gina never puts her American military training to any use.

Michelle Yeoh is a gypsy-esque woman running a hotel on a Thai coast wielding “Eastern Medicine” and uniting souls such as Gina and Bishop by tying them together at a dance.

Lee Jones strolls in towards the end, in red glasses, striped pajamas and fluffy flipflops, for a vague disposition on Communism, and “small people firing slingshots”.

By then, action has moved overnight, on a boat that Craine never gets off, from Indian Ocean to Black Sea. Precisely, 8,664 nautical miles separate the Bulgarian and Australian coasts.

Source:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Nine Lives - Movie review

The Tom-cat game becomes too vague to hold the plot

Walking into a pet shop manned by Christopher Walken, on a cloudy evening with dark cats purring, has something to do with it, for sure.​

Cast: Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Garner, Melina, Weissman, Christopher Walken
Director: Barry Sonnenfeld

It is a bad time to ask us to root for a guy whose ambition is to build tall towers, with his name and face stamped on them. Particularly when the only political statement sought to be made is a cat throwing ink on a photograph of George Bush Junior.

Maybe Clinton-friend Spacey sought that pound of flesh, for agreeing to spend this film — which manages to be more boring than your average cat-doing-things video — trapped in a feline’s body. Meanwhile, Spacey himself spends almost the entire film in coma, in a kind of body-swap that the film wisely leaves unexplained.

Walking into a pet shop manned by Christopher Walken, on a cloudy evening with dark cats purring, has something to do with it, for sure. But Walken’s Perkins needs a bolt of lightning striking Spacey’s Tom Brand to push things forward.

Tom has dealt with that shock for the most-abused trope in movie business: being a multi-millionaire who can’t make time for his family, particularly, good heavens, his daughter’s 11th birthday. He goes to Perkins to make amends, as the daughter, Rebecca, has sought a cat for present. Outraged at his brusqueness, Perkins decides to teach Tom a lesson by reducing him to a pet cat.

How any of that makes any plausible sense is the least of the film’s problems, which struggles to find funny lines to help this premise stand on the wobbly feet of its Tom-cat. Garner, as Tom’s long-complaining but ever-loving wife Lara, smiles through it all, perhaps hoping the dimples will distract. Once Tom is in the hospital, Rebecca and Lara don’t let a coma disturb their waking hours.

The film even has a side story involving Tom’s tower-raising business, and the attempts to take it over by a subordinate. The one standing in the way is Tom’s son from a previous marriage, and the cat.

However, the one with the sharpest claws in the film is none of the above. It is Brand’s first wife, played by Cheryl Hines to blonde perfection. She is enjoying both the divorce and Tom’s alimony.

The fact that Lara keeps her around, at all times, is telling. A cat would know.

Source:

Public Enemies:

I'd seen this of late as it was lying in my hard disk, Must say Jhonny Depp's acting was the best in here and he was very apt for the Dilinger's place to act. The last scene was awestruck and I was totally involved in the movie such that I screamed while travelling in my office Shuttle [lol]

Public Enemies film.jpg

After having watched quite a few true stories, one thing is sure that true stories never have a happy ending and where the sacrifice matters in a good person's life!

Last edited:
Mechanic:Resurrection - Movie review

Jason Statham returns as the hitman but fails to keep track with its prequel
Nine Lives - Movie review

The Tom-cat game becomes too vague to hold the plot
Walking into a pet shop manned by Christopher Walken, on a cloudy evening with dark cats purring, has something to do with it, for sure.
What is the whole point in copying some professional critic's reviews and posting the entire content over here?[roll].
As far as I know this thread is supposed to be for members to share their personal take and views on the movies they watched.
Please refer to this post for more information.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
1) Baar Baar Dekho: The most boring movie and the most absurd story telling so far from A Grade Bollywood Actors. Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif are absolutely miss-fit and by far worst acting done by both of them. This movie actually didn't convey the intended thoughts properly. Saving grace to some extent is the Music of the film.

Baar Baar Dekho: Really!! Ek bar he kaafi ho gya!!

Rating: 1/5

2) Freaky Ali: LOL! It was a good movie and a definite relief after watching B.B.D. Nawazuddin is superb and Amy adds the cute & glamour quotient. The story is very well narrated and acting is really good by the lead actor Nawazuddin. Other actors like Arbaz, Niketan Dheer, Seema Biswas, Jas Arora have done their parts well. Jas Arora is Golf Champion in the movie and has arrogance filled attitude. He is shown the stars in daylight by Nawazuddin. Worth watching for the epic one-liners from Nawazuddin and in totality the movie is really nice and light on heart and mind.

Rating: 4.5/5

3 PINK: BIG B ROCKS!!! Big Time. He still has the power and persona to carry off such characters with utmost precision and brilliant acting. The story highlights a significant issue of single working girls in a metro. Angad Bedi the male lead is overpowered by BIG B. Tapasee and her friends performed well. But Tapasee & BIG B were the center of attraction in the movie. The other male actors have frankly nothing to say, nothing much to do and certainly nothing much to act for. The strong story / subject along with equally power packed performance made every second of watching this movie worthwhile. The Climax of the movie was Excellent!

Rating: 5 / 5

Regards

Akash

M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story

The film is based on biopic of MS Dhoni's life. Sushant Singh Rajput has played the role of MS Dhoni and has given his best performance till date. The film shows how his life started from Ranchi up to a capable captain of Indian cricket team. It is brilliantly shown how Dhoni makes striking decisions during the World Cup final.

Anupam Kher plays a role of Dhoni’s dad. As always he has depicted a proper father from a middle class family who needs his son to concentrate on studying over sport. He is very best when showing emotions.

The film show collection of Dhonis bikes and his passion for riding them. He is also shown riding Harley-Davidson on the song of his honeymoon. The film is of three hours and feels some what lengthy. The love triangle and other things are added to make some "masala". Few dialogues like "Humko bhi ek chance de do na" (please give me one chance) and "Naukri ke liye thodi na out honge" (I will not be OUT just for the job) shows his passion for striking and playing cricket.

Everyone should watch this movie once irrespective of knowledge of cricket. It ultimately shows few chances life gives everyone, the only thing is one needs to recognize them to turn out the best in themselves.

Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

Karan Johar is once again back with complicated love story. The story is based on dim line between love and friendship. The story is revolved around the definition of love with respect to each one. The film has great actors and amazing music. The story seems to be incomplete in my opinion, you keep wanting for more and it gets finished.

Ranbir Kapoor (Ayan) has played a heart broken lover act, he played it well and looks cool throughout the movie.
Anushka Sharma (Alizeh) looks awesome beautiful and bubbly. She is perfect fit to the role she played in this movie.
Fawad Khan (Ali) has short and impressive role in entire film. His new looks are smoking hot.
Aishwarya (Sabah) looks like a dream. Her role lacks depth and needs more clarity in the film. She can truly give all the new gen actresses a run for their money. Apart from this you can also see Shahrukh and Alia in special appearance in this movie.

I was wondering that all main star cast apart from (Sabah) have name starting with "A". Entire movie has some amazing philosophical dialogues and shayaris. The songs are just mesmerizing. Some sequences like "Channa Mereya" are spot on and can make emotions zoom within you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

Karan Johar is once again back with complicated love story. The songs are just mesmerizing. Some sequences like "Channa Mereya" are spot on and can make emotions zoom within you.
Agree with you 100 times RK on this. The songs of the movie are good and specially the "Channa Mereya" is a superb composition after the "Buleya" Song. The story has been stretched and movie is a mix of all the KJo movies till now including Kal Ho Na Ho. The saving grace has been the good music. As for this particular song, Channa, I have been listening to it specially while driving on empty stretches like that of DND and even more during sunsets![;)] The song brings back a lot of memories! After the title track of Hamari Adhuri Kahani, Arijit Singh has again hit a master-stroke! Here is the official song video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSTpdcs-EI

Credit: Sony Music India

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom