Most Indians buy cars based on SMS Ads.

Thread Starter #1
Car makers like Maruti, Hyundai, Tata Motors and others have begun advertising heavily through cellphones which is generating higher buying
decisions among Indians this year compared to global buyers.

The mobile phone advertisements constitute 31% of buying decisions among Indians while globally this is only 8% according to the latest estimates from Carsonline.

Car sales have picked up significantly in the last few months in India especially in the small fuel-efficient car segment. The increasing dependence on low-cost advertising to influence buying decisions of consumers has been going up. While the dependence on traditional medium like the TV and the print space continues, other avenues of digital advertising have been on the rise since the recent months.

Industry estimates indicate that more than 75% of customers intending to buy a car go net shopping first to compare and evaluate the product. “We call this pre-shopping and its an extremely critical factor influencing buying decisions,” said Mayank Pareek, executive officer (Marketing & Sales), Maruti-Suzuki.

Industry experts say that customers are doing a lot of ‘pre-shopping’ on the digital medium as the dealership experiences are quite bureaucratic. In India around 30% of car buyers are influenced by TV and print ads, while globally this figure is just around 19%.

While 22% of buyers are influenced by web site banner advertising in India, globally it’s about 10%. “TV and print advertising is a one way communication but the digital medium engages the consumer to analyse different products,” said a senior Hyundai India official.

For the country’s largest car maker Maruti-Suzuki the dependence on digital medium has increased since the launch of the Swift car. Over the last few months the company has increased its digital presence through social networking sites like the Facebook and Youtube. “Digital marketing is the most potent way of targeting a customer directly and there is a huge potential,” Mr Pareek said.

Increasingly global consumers are engaging in interactive discussions with dealers to get a feedback on the product and service parameters offered by them.

“Buying decisions are still influenced by low cost financing and cash back initiatives in India. However in the mature markets the buyer is interested in the total cost of ownership,” said Nick Gill, VP, autohead, Capgemini, a consulting, technologies and outsourcing services firm.

Analysts tracking the industry say that demand will continue to go up in the next few months thanks to the excise benefits and the incentives offered by the dealers and manufacturers. With the car market expected to triple in the next 10 years from the current levels of 1.5 mn units, car makers are all gearing up with new fuel efficient models.

Source - economictimes

yes rsm, very true report, these are marketing options which companies go till they can, and along with print media, e media as well as now sms marketing is on to lure more and more people to know their products.Sometimes their over marketing on cell networks gets too much for people to like, so that needs to be in controlled.

it depends from city to city and dealer to dealer, as they purchase these bulk sms schemes for a month, two or whole of year.I do get routine sms's from tata, hyundai about their upcoming models, service schedules schemes or some new news.
Like just got a sms from a hyundai dealer, regarding their upcoming used car mela of hyundai cars at a particular place with dates and time details.

Last edited:
Even I haven't received any calls!

But this is a news for me.

Good marketing & bad that out Network operators are selling our information for few bucks :(

The only call i get abt car is regarding the service remainder of my baby for which i always get late

Top Bottom