Morris Isis (1955-58) - The Six Cylinder Morris Oxford

Thread Starter #1
Morris oxford or HM Ambassdor we know today had a six cylinder engine variant which was briefly produced from 1955 - 58.It wsa called Morris Isis.It looked similar to oxford but with longer bonnet.

Series 1 - (1955- 1956)
Launched 1955 it was largely based on Morris Oxford 2 or Landamster albeit with longer bonnet.It was powered by BMC 6 cylinder( petrol)C series engine unlike BMC B series engine found in Morris oxford 2/3.It replaced Morris six MS.The interiors were similar to Morris oxford 2 or HM Landmaster
800px-Morris_Isis_Series_I_front.jpg

Specifications:

• Engine -single SU carburettor 2.6 liter 85 bhp straight six
  • Rear wheel drive with four speed manual or with optional Borg warner overdrive
  • Available as an 2door estate or four door saloon
  • 8,500 were made
  • Top speed 145 KM/hr
800px-Morris_Isis_Series_I_rear.jpg

Series 2 - ( 1956-58)

launched in 1956 it was based on Morris oxford 3 or HM Ambassdor mark 1 albeit with some differences like longer bonnet , mesh grille and two tone la Chevrolet Bel Air.The engine unit sas again BMC C series engine.Automatic transmission was optional and as avaiable as a 2 door estate or four door saoon.interiors were similarto Morris Oxford
800px-Morris_Isis_Series_II.jpg
( Note:meshed grille)
57morris_interior.jpg
( interiors )
fs_tatton_park_aug_09_064.jpg

[Source - Wikipedia.org,motorbase]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much for so many vintage info!! [clap] only one thing which i never understood is what is relation between morris and hindustan motors?? how is oxford mk-1 known ambassador? sorry if am not clear..

350Z

Core Team
Another lovely thread. Brings back the nostalgia. I'm sure, many of us here must be familiar with Morris cars (It's also one of my favorite old car brands). Thanks for the details. No wonder, it's ought to receive five star rating. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Thank you all for those replies[:D]

@umang - Hindustan motors and Morris motors entered into a licensing agreement in late 1940s due to which Hindustan motors got the rights to build Morris range of cars in India with Hindustan moniker instead of Morris.Essentially these cars were badge engineered cars

• Hindustan 14 - Morris oxford MO
  • Baby Hindustan - Morris Minor
  • Hindustan landmaster ( side valve engine) - Morris oxford 2( side valve engine)
  • Hindustan Ambassdor mark 1( side valve engine) - Morris oxford 3( over head valve engine)
Hindustan ambassdor mark 2 onwards - over head valve of British Motor corporation ( Morris and Austin Motors merged to form it in 1952) B series was used.

Last edited:
Great job dude..love paint style in third pic. it was seen in many vintage cars..but nowadays people dont know anything else excpt plain dual tone!! [frustration]

Thank you all for those replies[:D]

@umang - Hindustan motors and Morris motors entered into a licensing agreement in late 1940s due to which Hindustan motors got the rights to build Morris range of cars in India with Hindustan moniker instead of Morris.Essentially these cars were badge engineered cars

• Hindustan 14 - Morris oxford MO
  • Baby Hindustan - Morris Minor
  • Hindustan landmaster ( side valve engine) - Morris oxford 2( side valve engine)
  • Hindustan Ambassdor mark 1( side valve engine) - Morris oxford 3( over head valve engine)
Hindustan ambassdor mark 2 onwards - over head valve of British Motor corporation ( Morris and Austin Motors merged to form it in 1952) B series was used.
thanks for info buddy! but how can hindustan use their design or say whole car even when the license agreement didnt exist anymore?

Thread Starter #8
@Umang -
In 1950s UK needed Foreign exchange and the only way to earn it for car companies was selling cars abroad.Birla a keen Buisness man bought the entire tooling of Morris Oxford 3 aka Ambassador for undisclosed sum of money as Industrial act of 1951 made it compulsory for all companies to produce every part required for production of car in India itself, instead of importing buying tooling was one time investment moreover this orris Oxford was to be phased by badge engineered versions of Austin Farina saloons in 1958-59.
I hope this clarifies your doubts Umang.

Good piece of info. Thanks to CK Birla group, we can still see the beauty in Indian roads. We used to have one ages ago. King of Indian Roads.

HM was to undergo some transformation in 2011. Any info on this. Would definitely like to have one in the new avatar.

350Z

Core Team
While we’re discussing on the lines of Ambassador – I must admit that this is the car with amazing rear seat comfort. Up till now, I had only heard that it’s comparable to some Rolls Royce (Not kidding) but after enjoying a long drive in this car, I’m confident to confirm this. However, still cannot say whether it can match the RR levels but yes, for a car of this era. It’s commendable. Also it is something which Hindustan Motors must retain in the future models too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom