MM540 4X4 Restoration / Modification - My 1st Jeep

Thread Starter #46
Hi Sam, the mechanical work is completely over. Went for a test run to ooty hills. Since im satisfied with the performance so thats the reason im moving for minor modifications.
For sure will not spend more on this [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid one test run to Ootacamund ain't enough. Use it for at least 2000 kms on various roads in various traffic conditions. Is the engine running hot? Is it drinking coolant? Do you see any leakages on the floor when the MM is parked overnight? Are there any abnormal noises/rattles/creaks/squeaks? Has the rust been taken care of?

Please post some latest snaps of the Jeep.

@Rajesh2h

Sam is very correct. First of all the engine smoothness and all the running parts under the hood must be tested for all kind of terrain [being a 4x4].

Oil leakages, viberations, abnormal noise is the most important thing that needs to fix and sometimes very difficult too.

I would also suggest you to drive it for 2k-3K kms along different terrain/speeds and hard city traffic/long drives too.

Another crucial thing to look for in a car of this age is the collection of debris or a thick grimy layer on the engine oil, engine coolant or gearbox oil reservoirs.

Depending on the location and type of the layer it could point to various (often serious) issues.

Thread Starter #50
I'm afraid one test run to Ootacamund ain't enough. Use it for at least 2000 kms on various roads in various traffic conditions. Is the engine running hot? Is it drinking coolant? Do you see any leakages on the floor when the MM is parked overnight? Are there any abnormal noises/rattles/creaks/squeaks? Has the rust been taken care of?

Please post some latest snaps of the Jeep.
No Sam, i dint find any engine heat issues yet and there is no leakages on the floor. Heard so much of noise this is due to the HARD TOP.

@Sam @amitpshelke @Viru
Surely agreed with your points need to drive for some more KMS to find those issues. But i can't able to stop myself , so pushed into some modifications [evil].

First Stage work is going on:
The rusts has been taken care of fully for past few weeks only this work is going on still.. Changed the front windshield completely, since it was unable to use with so much of RUST!! Ordered for Thar back door since my machine has only Hardtop before.

Updating few pics

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.39.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.39.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.39.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.39.44 PM.png

Need some Painting Suggestions
, these are the options i have in my mind

Black and Metallic Grey in Front Hard Top
Metallic Blue and Metallic Grey in Front Hard Top
Metallic Elephant Gray and Metallic Black in Front Hard Top

Pls give some idea for this, if it with pics it will be really helpful

No Sam, i dint find any engine heat issues yet and there is no leakages on the floor. Heard so much of noise this is due to the HARD TOP.

@Sam @amitpshelke @Viru
Surely agreed with your points need to drive for some more KMS to find those issues. But i can't able to stop myself , so pushed into some modifications [evil].

First Stage work is going on:
The rusts has been taken care of fully for past few weeks only this work is going on still.. Changed the front windshield completely, since it was unable to use with so much of RUST!! Ordered for Thar back door since my machine has only Hardtop before.

Updating few pics

View attachment 130312

View attachment 130313

View attachment 130314

View attachment 130315

As per my thinking metallic color wont suit on the off-roaders, rather non-metallic or a matt finished vibrant color will improve the aesthetic of the vehicle.

My choice for would be :
- RED
- ORANGE
- Desert Storm color of Royal Enfield Classic
- Battle Field Green color of Royal Enfield Classic

Also think of full roof,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBy7-SmkrQs]Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar) Version 1 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdI9DupJPoQ]jeep clinic thar crde hard top - YouTube

If you look at the image, both are Thar, but front grill in (A) is far better than (B). If you like it; you may get it from Mahindra Spare Shop.

Attachments

I think Metallic Elephant Gray with Metallic Black Front Hard top would look absolutely amazing! Since you are not going to go offroading with this vehicle, this colour combination should make your car fit into the urban scene well, without losing its tough appearance.

In my opinion (No offense to anybody) a bright colour would make the vehicle look tacky and feeble. They say true strength is always restrained [;)]

I had a friend who had a similar paint setup (Medium Gray body with black hardtop) on a Land Rover Defender 110, looked great there too!

As per my thinking metallic color wont suit on the off-roaders, rather non-metallic or a matt finished vibrant color will improve the aesthetic of the vehicle.

My choice for would be :
- RED
- ORANGE
- Desert Storm color of Royal Enfield Classic
- Battle Field Green color of Royal Enfield Classic

Also think of full roof,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBy7-SmkrQs]Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar) Version 1 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdI9DupJPoQ]jeep clinic thar crde hard top - YouTube

If you look at the image, both are Thar, but front grill in (A) is far better than (B). If you like it; you may get it from Mahindra Spare Shop.

Replying to my earlier post. Added image to tell you that front grill design may be available in market if you like.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130486&stc=1&d=1396006329

Attachments

Thread Starter #58
I think Metallic Elephant Gray with Metallic Black Front Hard top would look absolutely amazing! Since you are not going to go offroading with this vehicle, this colour combination should make your car fit into the urban scene well, without losing its tough appearance.

In my opinion (No offense to anybody) a bright colour would make the vehicle look tacky and feeble. They say true strength is always restrained [;)]

I had a friend who had a similar paint setup (Medium Gray body with black hardtop) on a Land Rover Defender 110, looked great there too!
Thanks Viru, Maximum i don't use this for offroading. Im also not fond of bright colors, more over that looks like college kid [glasses]. Even planning for metallic brown (xylo java brown colour) with black hard top.

Replying to my earlier post. Added image to tell you that front grill design may be available in market if you like.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130486&stc=1&d=1396006329
Thanks for your suggestion Amit, for now im not getting this. Since my budget has touched 2 L [cry]. Will add those in future.. thanks for your input.

Thanks Viru, Maximum i don't use this for offroading. Im also not fond of bright colors, more over that looks like college kid [glasses]. Even planning for metallic brown (xylo java brown colour) with black hard top.
I would recommend the gray, the brown might look out of place. But it's up to you!

Top Bottom