MM540 4X4 Restoration / Modification - My 1st Jeep

Thread Starter #31
Thanks Sam will do the same :)

Have left the Jeep for complete work.. Hope the total cost will come around 1.2 to 1.5 K [confused]
Sam and maximus as you said started finding surprises when they removed the sheet [lol] sharing few pics taken at the workshop!! before modif starts!!! [embarass]

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.48.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.49.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.49.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.49.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.49.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.50.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.50.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.50.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 4.50.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 5.09.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 5.10.04 PM.png

Well well one of them is really nasty! very well we could and should except something like this in a govt auctioned vehicle .
Any way best of luck in your mods and I will pray the expenses fall behind your estimate buddy.

Rajesh, thats a lots of rust.

Get the body sandblasted. That would ensure that the last remanats of rust are taken care of. Check the chassis too; I hope there is no rust/damage on the chassis. Driving a vehicle with a rusted/damaged chassis is an invitation to disaster. Tell them to take the body off the chassis and check everything. Replace all rusted nuts and bolts with stainless steel ones - that would go a long way in rust proofing the MM for a long time. Be there at the workshop when the vehicle is being repainted. Ask them what paint they are using. Go for a good DuPont 2K job. Most workshop wallahs would spray a couple of layers of cheap Chinese paint that would shine brightly for a few days and would start to peel off thereafter. Dont let them take you for a ride. As I can see the present paintjob on your MM is in very bad shape. Buy OEM parts wherever possible. Get all hoses and belts on the engine replaced with new ones. Change all fluids/oils/grease and filters.

Did you try out the 4H/4L yet? Is it working satisfactorily?

I am not a 4 wheel drive person and I am not going to purchase any soon but whenever i see someone talking about jeep I get bit excited

I am keen to see what your thoughts are. Just my 5 cents to this build
if you are going to fix the rusting make sure you do it properly and make sure all the bolts and suspensions are free of rust and still strong.
Also when putting things back make sure you change the wiring looms by adding points for speakers and central loking for the rear door and side doors. Check for any leaks/cracks where water can get in etc.
also get some good floor mats preferrably water resistant if you areplanning to keep it open or soft top.

I changed the wiring looms for my skyline so yeh that way it may help :)
plan ahead
and good luck for the build.
whilest your doing everything service the engine , transmission, power steering and suspensions etc

Thread Starter #36
Hi Sam, Thats true!!!
Have asked the mechanic to check the chassis today they said it looks good and no works needs to be done there. Regarding nuts and bolts yes!! will change that part too thanks so so much will be really missing this if you did not mentioned about this. Since i have no idea about this. Painting they quote 28 K for metallic outside and interior with matt finish for Dupont paint. Dupont w/out metallic cost 15 K , im planning to go for metallic but will it cost this much high?
All other mechanical works has been done. 4H/4L - i dint drive much, when i tried it works fine to me :) will let you know regarding this!

Thanksss muchhh!!!

@ codename47 for sure :) your suggestion really helps, will keep those ones in mind while building !!!

Really happy to see some good responses!! Eagerly waiting for the outcome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think metallic shade would cost almost double of what a non-metallic shade would cost. Please check the rates in the market yourself. Painting with a metallic colour should not cost more than 5000-6000 bucks over the cost of a similar regular shade.

I say again, please check everything yourself - DO NOT let the workshop guys take you for a royal ride.

Thread Starter #38
Thanks Sam, have got the quote for the same in two other places they quote around 25K for the above. Will negotiate with SIM and finalise them :)

This is the Roll cage design i have finalised but with 2 inch pipes.
They have quoted 14K for this including soft top setup frames.
Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 12.53.34 PM.png

My suggestions:

Instead of keeping it open roof think of Hard Top, as cleaning it is always a troublesome task, if you don't get proper parking every time. My relative is having similar problem with vehicle.

Below is the link of Hard Top Video for Mahindra Thar, please see comments in Video for contact details,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBy7-SmkrQs

I would suggest a Ferrari red color if you are planning to repaint.

Attachments

Thread Starter #40
Really thanks amit for the video, I like red color but i'm really love with the elephant gray color.
fortuner-automatic.jpg
Planning to add hard top to the front part alone. Do you have any idea how much it cost?.

I don't have any Idea regarding half Hard tops. My relative are planning to go Hyderabad for Hard top. The reason to go for hard top is during rains the floor start rusting from inside which permanently damages the floor. I have seen the hard top in Hyderabad personally, the material used and the quality of material is good and very neatly fitted.

The Elephant Gray or Graphite color shines for an year but starts looking dull. Where as the red would be much aggressive and sporty with black color badging.

I would suggest go for Ferrari red color with similar black wheel arcs as in "Thar".

Out of 3 choice for tyre upgrade provided by rally expert for their purpose,
- Michellin Pilot Sport3 [245/40 ZR17].
- Michellin Latitude Cross [265/65 R17 - 112T],
- Bridgestone Dueler HP sports [255/60 R17 106H]
they choose first one.

Some of the alloys suggestion we looked during the tyre search,
http://www.platiindia.com/serverImages/PY-226 17INCH.jpg
http://www.platiindia.com/serverImages/577 M.jpg
http://www.platiindia.com/serverImages/603.jpg
http://www.platiindia.com/serverImages/5011.jpg

hi, doing good work rajesh [clap] good luck, if you inspect the work regularly the desired results can be achieved as per your taste. even i owned MM540 2wd 1989 model earlier and done lot of custom alterations on it but had to sold it due to some unavoidable reason.. still missing it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #44
Still patching works is going on, Hopefully it will be completed by this week.
Adding a hard top in the front portion alone like this. Which will be detachable
Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 8.14.21 PM.png
Have ordered the below bumper and got delivered from Prad 4x4, it looks awesome waiting to get it fitted
Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 8.17.36 PM.png

Will update more pics by next week. :) the journey continuessss.....

Rajesh, I exhort you not to spend money on cosmetic upgrades UNLESS you get the vehicle working in perfect mechanical/electrical condition. Remember my words, you may NEVER recover the investment made on this MM540. Do not spend money out of enthusiasm. I know that the child inside every man wants a Jeep with all the doodahs but what's the point of all the doodahs IF the Jeep refuses to move?

Make it mechanically perfect and drive it for some time; go for add ons later.

Top Bottom