Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Review & Pictures

That sounds like a great trip!
Btw, Iron Rock - I'd like to fit a cruise control on my recently acquired Pajero Sport (Manual). She's 2012 and I got her in great condition with only 33,000 km on the clock.
You'd said in an earlier post that you had the part nbrs.
I'd be grateful if you could share them and also where you got the kit from.

Many thanks.

Thread Starter #167
Absolutely. Lets do this. Apart from you, who are the other Puneri Sports / SFX owners?

Which gets me to a question. I have searched this forum, Team-BHP and the net in general but while I get individual reviews of the Sports or the SFX as well as comparisons with Fortuner etc, I have not found any article / post on Pajero SFX vs Pajero Sports, how the two compare with each other. We have the specifications and yes SFX is under powered compared to the Sports but how do they compare on off-roading, city driving, highway driving, passenger comfort, ...

Vivek
I do not know many pajero owners in pune to be honest.

Regarding comparison Pandora's box sir, ask any Pajero owner and he will biased towards his vehicle - if you ask me i want one of each. In my books the PS has to be better than the older version, it will off road similar or better albeit at a higher rpm, the older one produces torque at lower rpm which is more forgiving from a driver's perspective, PS does that at a higher rpm and an inexperienced driver will make it look harder but if driven the right way PS ends up producing more peak torque, rest super select set up is similar. The PS has a better chassis and off course can do better on highways.

Leaving you with some pics and a short video( to be watched in HD ) .

Regards/Kartik
This is absolutely mesmerizing, the only words that came out of my mouth was you lucky devil!

That sounds like a great trip!
Btw, Iron Rock - I'd like to fit a cruise control on my recently acquired Pajero Sport (Manual). She's 2012 and I got her in great condition with only 33,000 km on the clock.
You'd said in an earlier post that you had the part nbrs.
I'd be grateful if you could share them and also where you got the kit from.

Many thanks.
AjNomad, a very warm welcome to the forum, a 33k run PS is as good as new!

Please check the below two posts :-

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...port-drives-24k-kms-crossed-3.html#post364265

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...port-drives-24k-kms-crossed-6.html#post384245

For the manual PS there is also one more clutch switch which i haven't installed as yet, awaiting a good friend(Ankur) to reconfirm the part number, i hope he joins the forum soon as well. I will share this as soon as he confirms.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #168
Ok here is the clutch switch part number - please note this is only needed for manual PS not automatic - MB435457 (Special thanks to Ankur for confirming)

All 3 components should come around the 10k range.

Ok, IR, so I got in touch with Raj Dutta and I've ordered all 3.
9k for the lot and I should get them in another 10-12 days.
BUT I seem to have done something silly!
I unscrewed the horn button and the dummy cover over the CC wiring to check if the wiring was indeed there. It's there.
But after I've screwed everything back on I have the airbag warning light on.
I can't figure out what I've done wrong.
Would welcome your advice & opinion.

Thread Starter #172
Ok, IR, so I got in touch with Raj Dutta and I've ordered all 3.
9k for the lot and I should get them in another 10-12 days.
BUT I seem to have done something silly!
I unscrewed the horn button and the dummy cover over the CC wiring to check if the wiring was indeed there. It's there.
But after I've screwed everything back on I have the airbag warning light on.
I can't figure out what I've done wrong.
Would welcome your advice & opinion.
9k is not bad at all!

Err I should have warned you about being careful with airbag, i am suspecting some wire would have been accidentally tickled. It could be temporary but to be sure you need to connect an OBD adapter clear the code and then check if the light comes back.

If it comes back, i suggest go to the service centre and have the place rechecked by them rather, they would have diagnostics too(hopefully).

Right.
So I went across to the service centre this morning - Sanjay Raj Automobiles - the only service centre in Mumbai I think. They were most helpful. Connected the car to the scanning system and cleared the problem in less than 10 minutes. They, too, told me that there would have been no issues if I had disconnected the battery first.
One lives and learns!

Regarding comparison Pandora's box sir, ask any Pajero owner and he will biased towards his vehicle - if you ask me i want one of each. In my books the PS has to be better than the older version, it will off road similar or better albeit at a higher rpm, the older one produces torque at lower rpm which is more forgiving from a driver's perspective, PS does that at a higher rpm and an inexperienced driver will make it look harder but if driven the right way PS ends up producing more peak torque, rest super select set up is similar. The PS has a better chassis and off course can do better on highways.
True.

The general feedback seems to be that the SFX is more of a mountain goat while the PS is more of a general animal which can do city, highway better and off-road quite well particularly mud, snow and sand.

This question would not have come if the SFX -> PS. But the SFX became the new Montero while the Triton / Challenger has become the PS. They are very different platforms and thus the answer is not obvious.

Thread Starter #175
^^Well just what is a pajero and what is a montero can get extremely confusing as they have ridiculously used and misused names across the world (for whatever reasons).

But if you take the 3 basic vehicles we have seen in India i.e Pajero SFX/GLX , Pajero Sport and Montero.

• All come with a different set up really, the Pajero SFX/GLX is more of an evolution from the 2nd generation Pajero i.e traditional body on ladder.
  • What we call today as Pajero Sport is a much better upgraded version on body on ladder version, improved chassis stiffness/dynamics (yes derived from the triton line up and is more of evolution or revolution from the 3rd generation Triton which is based on the wheelbase of the second generation Pajero - phew!)
  • The Montero that we have seen in India is the 3rd gen Pajero which is when hybrid chassis was introduced i.e monocoque with built in body on ladder.

I am sorry if this sounds confusing but blame mitsubishi for this [lol]. This actually deserves a Christopher Nolan movie.

Last edited:
But if you take the 3 basic vehicles we have seen in India i.e Pajero SFX/GLX , Pajero Sport and Montero.

• All come with a different set up really, the Pajero SFX/GLX is more of an evolution from the 2nd generation Pajero i.e traditional body on ladder.
  • What we call today as Pajero Sport is a much better upgraded version on body on ladder version, improved chassis stiffness/dynamics (yes derived from the triton line up and is more of evolution or revolution from the 3rd generation Triton which is based on the wheelbase of the second generation Pajero - phew!)
  • The Montero that we have seen in India is derived from the 3rd gen Pajero which is when hybrid chassis was introduced i.e monocoque with built in body on ladder.
Crazy !!! enough to make anyone's head spin ! [confused]
This actually deserves a Christopher Nolan movie.
Or if we want it cheaper Manmohan Desai . Can call it SFX, Pajero aur Montero [;)]

BTW, I am getting my vehicle today. It had reached Pune on Monday and was supposed to reach me on Tuesday but there were some delays in clearing from the stockyard and as yesterday was Guru Nanak Jayanti, the registration formalities will only be completed today.

The vehicle will have 3 changes, 1 of which I paid for. They are replacement of the stock Apollo Apterra HT with Yokohoma Geolanders AT. I got a good deal for this from Darshan Tyres at Baner. The other 2 which came promised were paint protection coating and 3D mats.

I went and did a mini PDI of the vehicle at the Pethkar Motors service centre in Kothrud (near Kinara Restaurant). The staff were very courteous. What surprised me was when I asked about accessories (not that I wanted to change anything at this stage), they mentioned that they stocked just 4, rear tail lamps, chrome on various door handles and mats.

Thread Starter #177
^^ Great will await pictures. For the tyres make sure you check the manufacturing date as well, good to know you did a PDI!

What next Cruise control ?

I just ordered some components last week, clutch switch, Ac filter and additional brake pads - i have done 26k on stock brake pads, need to see how much further can i go, 30k is my minimum target.

For the tyres make sure you check the manufacturing date as well, good to know you did a PDI!
I checked the dates of the tyres at Darshan. They were September 2015 so we are good.
What next Cruise control ?
That would be good to have and save some effort on longish journeys. Would love to hear about experiences on adding Cruise Control.

I was also thinking of the Race-chip and the like once the warranty period gets over since with the Race-chip Ultimate you get a near 25% uptick in power and torque. But want to get opinions in on this. Some South African reports give this a total thumbs down saying the ECU starts to act up a few weeks later after fixing the chip. Some reports also state that this may lead to mechanical stress on the car due to the increased power being generated. Yet others have implemented it and had a good experience. Seems a mixed bag of experiences.

I just ordered some components last week, I have done 26k on stock brake pads, need to see how much further can i go, 30k is my minimum target.
I am told that at least for brake pads go in for originals from Mitsubishi since the open market alternatives don't last long.

Will post pics once the beast is with me.

Thread Starter #179
For cruise control check my original thread it has the details, must have if you do highways/expressways and 9k its super cheap.

Brake pads i am procuring OEM from Thailand, same as the ones our dealers procure. Though in the PS the default is the japanese one.

Congratulations Iron Rock for the crisp review with phenomenal attention to detail.
Brake pads i am procuring OEM from Thailand, same as the ones our dealers procure.
Could you share the pricing of the Brake pads you are procuring?
Though in the PS the default is the japanese one.
I was under the impression that the front & rear brake pads are coming form 2 different locations even in original vehicle as I remember from the brake pad replacement done at the service center that their box of the rear brake pads had a Japanese manufacturer address mentioned while the box of the front brake pads was labelled Made in Thailand.

Top Bottom