Mineral or Synthetic Oil?

Re: Mineral or Synthetic Oil ?

I am looking to change engine oil for my i10 automatic transmission. Do let me know, a good oil.

Also how is synthetic oil? Is it advisable to put synthetic oil in my i10? What is the advantage over mineral oil.

Net net need a good oil for my i10 auto.
The major advantage of synthetic oil is its better lubricating capability over Mineral oils. Furthermore they last longer than the mineral oil leading to extended service interval (read Oil change). They have higher thermal breakdown edge which automatically translates to lesser oil consumption and better lubrication.
I have no concrete information of FE difference since I am still running my cars on mineral oil, however theoretically, yes the Synthetic oil will lead to better efficiency.

@ Ilango, was waiting for the sales rep from wurth oil to call up, but no body called till now. Anyways have to leave for bangalore tomorrow, so this time plan to change with Mobil delvac Mx , it's a mineral oil. For the Gear box planning to use Shell Spirax 80W90.
Plan for a long trip next week from bangalore. Will give a feedback on these oils after the trip.
I too have stocked up the delvac mx for my ddis for next oil change (delvac mx is selling like a hot cake here in pune so have to stock it up), do let me know the performance better/worst than the MGP engine oil.

Advantages of synthetic engine oil

• Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes

• Better chemical & shear stability

• Decreased evaporative loss

• Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems

• Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.

• Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.

• Better lubrication during extreme cold weather starts

• Longer engine life

• Superior protection against "ash" and other deposit formation in engine hot spots (particularly in turbo and superchargers) for less oil burnoff and reduced chances of damaging oil passageway clogging.

Disadvantages of synthetic engine oil

• The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in (i.e. the initial run-in period of the vehicle) where friction is desirable to cause wear. However, improved engine part machining has made break-in less critical than it once was. A select few cars (generally turbo or supercharged) are factory filled with synthetic oil, usually to help minimize high tempreature oil degredation issues.

• Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (predominantly in industrial use.)

• Potential stress cracking of plastic components made of polyoxymethylene (POM) in the presence of polyalphaolefin (PAO).

• Synthetics do not hold lead in suspension as well as mineral oil, thus caution is advised when the engine is run on leaded fuel.[citation needed] As an example, leaded fuel is still commonly used in aviation (avgas).

• In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular mineral oil. In their article, they noted that "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving in extreme heat. But our test results relate to the most common type of severe service - stop-and-go city driving." According to their study, synthetic oil is "worth considering for extreme driving conditions: high ambient temperatures and high engine load, or very cold temperatures."

• Synthetic oils are not recommended in automotive rotary engines.
Source - wikipedia

Thread Starter #35

Changed oil on monday to Mobil Delvac Mx . Gear Oil to Shell Spirax 80w90. Drove around 350 kms to bangalore. Engine seem to run smoother than before , especially above 2000 rpm , the slight vibration which was there has come down. Also the lower rpm performance is better. Planning for a longer trip from today, will give more details after I return.
@ ilango, sales rep did call me on monday but unfortunately I was already in the service station changing the oil, will catchup next time. Thanks for the help.

No probs , infact he forgot them and did call you only after me reminding him after seeing this thread. hope he excused saying i forgot to give the number , later he apologised saying he said it in a flow - perfect sale rep!

Mob dev mx is one good oil and my accent run on them .

Which one would be the best bet for my automatic i10

1. Mobil1 5w50 3900/- for 4l Very costly
2. Castrol Edge @3500/- for 4l Very costly
3. Castrol GTX @ 1100/- for 4l OK
4. Castrol magnatec ??

I have seen many people around me using the Castrol Edge and GTX without any issues. Still wait for Ilango to respond. He will suggest the best pick of the lot.

Check you manual , it will give a hint for using a synthetic oil.

I10 is not allergic to synthetic. - hope so.

Castrol gtx - pick them

try mobile devlac. they will also prove good

I have checked the manual. It doesn't clearly specify anything. It just gives a range. castrol GTX is the cheapest of the lot. What about castrol magnatec?

Is it worth? and what about synthetic oil? Mobil 1 is way too expensive.

Ilango, can I go ahead with Mobil1 5w50 fully synthetic oil?

What do meant by allergic? Is there a down side of using synthetic oil? Also what would be the effect on mileage? Will it increase or decrease?

Last edited:

Ilango, can I go ahead with Mobil1 5w50 fully synthetic oil?

What do meant by allergic? Is there a down side of using synthetic oil? Also what would be the effect on mileage? Will it increase or decrease?
Well to tell you amiti of my personal experience, the following oils i have used in my ritz d

1 ) Maruti genuine ~ 900 Rs for 3.1 L
2) Mobil1 5w50 ~ 2400 for 3.1 L
3) Mobil Delvac Mx - This is the recent which i had put 2 days back ~900 for 3.1 L

All of them are same, I didn't quite really felt any changes(i have been driving on national roads since the age of 17 and I am 32 now. Not a newbie in sensing what my car's telling me) and don't expect a phenomenal change after you refill engine oil and that your car will be vibration free , super smooth or super rich,great FE or something like that. It's just a placebo IMO.

Synthetic's will require longer idling to bring them up-to a standard operating temperature.
Only + point in using synthetic is they don't loose viscosity at a rate which the standard mineral oil's loose. So change interval increases to 10k kms. In minerals's it close to 5-6k kms. Even if we go by minerals and change it twice on next 5k kms it will still be less than what you pay for 10k kms.

I have decided to stick on the Maruti Genuine oil, no tantrums just be present during an oil change to supervise everything to check if they are putting the right quantity.

Just adapt sedate driving styles if you love your car, it will stand by you for longer. Trust me, this is an old school way but works!. When I sold my esteem 3 years back (it was 6 years old) the true valve guy said "Sir gadi ka engine abhi bhi waisa he awaj kar raha hai new jaisa"

Last edited:
Thread Starter #44

Driven my car for around 2000kms after changing to Mobil Delvac Mx. The car does run with less vibration and seem to be more smoother than before. I have not tried synthetic oils till now and hope to try it during my next oil change to know the difference .
By the way @fusion Mobil 1 5w50 sells for Rs 1100 a litre here in chennai.

Bought Castrol Magnatec 10w40 4l can for my i10 for 1300.00 INR. The engine has become smoother than it was previously. Don't know whether its over all servicing effect or only the oil effect.

Top Bottom