Mineral or Synthetic Oil?

[:D]umm i would say stick to Helix H7 or alternatively you can try TOTAL QUARTZ 7000 10w 40 Both are good enough, Castrol products are overpriced and are not better than the competition. Also You can try Wurth HC Synthetic Engine oil 10 w 40. And dont change your engine oil brand too often, this also damages the engine. just check on the owners manual for the recommended oil grade.

I have done exactly opposite. Previously I went in for castrol magnatec and now I have used Helix HX7. So is that a matter of concern?

No oil of different company is same, all of them have different origin and different additive supplement package, that is why most of the manufacturers insist on using their engine oil like Maruti genuine oil etc so that they can track the engine performance from kashmir to kanyakumari otherwise it will differ from place to place. So changing oil frequently is not advised.

No oil is completely drained out of the engine, for eg in a small 1l capacity motorcycle about 150 to 200 ml is never drained so you can imagine the amount of leftover oil in a car engine.

no issues as such provide the oil has been drained well and filter changed
The oil was drained properly as I was standing there. Also is a engine flush required? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Or its just a marketing gimmic to make quick bucks?

Amiti what is diamond grade SP3 grade ATF please clarify?

Flushing the engine is not required everytime, you can do it every 20k ie every alternate service if you do it no harm done. i dont see any disadvantages of flushing. For flushing you can use Wurth Engine Flush and cleaner 250 ml. No need to use engine oil additive if using the discussed brands. No flushing and no additive is required if using Fully synthetic engine oil.

if the engine is less than 40-50k kms i dnt think you need a flush, but using them every alternate oil change or 30k kms will keep the engine cleaner. Any good synthetic oil has good detergents and additives which will keep the engine clean.
can you tell us if you found any difference after switcing to synth. im planning to go in for mobil1 at my 9k oil change(its 10k but i like doing it early)for my verna

Make Sure you flush the engine before switching from Servo mineral To Mobil 1 fully synthetic, drain the oil only when the engine is warm.

The pleasure of synthetic can not be descibed on a keyboard you will see youself. I switched to CASTROL EDGE for my wagon R and now i will be using Wurth Fully synthetic made in germany bottle. It is a bit expensive but it has a better response than Edge.

Amiti what is diamond grade SP3 grade ATF please clarify?

Flushing the engine is not required everytime, you can do it every 20k ie every alternate service if you do it no harm done. i dont see any disadvantages of flushing. For flushing you can use Wurth Engine Flush and cleaner 250 ml. No need to use engine oil additive if using the discussed brands. No flushing and no additive is required if using Fully synthetic engine oil.
It's Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Diamond SP3 grade.

This is required for i10 auto transmission

I have no idea about this diamond grade SP3 grade always heard of Dextron Series Total ATF is D3 so probably the highest in india. Try petronas they might be having it.

Dear All,

Mineral Oils are Base Oils with some additives that do selective jobs like, cleaning, cooling, coagulation etc etc.(Tribology is a vast subject so lets not get into details). Since Mineral Oil is used, this oil on heating degenerates and forms carbon deposits after some time, the additives also become less effective etc etc. and so the need for change of oil.

Synthetic Oil on the other hand is manufactured totally artificially and is made to exactly suit the engine. Since this is not mineral based, it does not oxidise and generates carbon deposits very slowly so this oil can last sometimes about 7-8 times the life of a normal mineral oil. This depends on the quality of Oil.

I would suggest that one should go by the recommended grade of the manufacturer and change oil at given intervals.

By the way, since Mineral oils and Synthetic Oils are different altogether, most manufacturers recommend flushing. This may not be a ploy to generate extra income for the service center. Mixing of non compatible Oils may cause sludge formation and bigger problems. Please take a decision after consulting either your Car manufacturer/Service Center or pls ask the Oil manufacturer.

B

biddu mobil1 on their site says no flushing required. well my car will go in for its first oil change in a month or two and im intending on shifting to synth 5w20/5w30
factory fill is mineral 10w30 so should i still flush the engine?

Top Bottom