Mineral or Synthetic Oil?

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is best then Castrol Edge 5W40..Mobil 5W40 is not very good oil and way lower than these oils..Mobil has excellent oil in 0W40, 5W30 grades

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: swift vxi petrol service help

its 2015 model i want synthetic only as i dont use it much it has clocked only 14000 in 2 years preferably mobil
If you don't use it much then why are you buying synthetic in the first place ? Synthetic is meant for high running.
Use semi synthetic castrol. Should be about 1400rs.

If you don't use it much then why are you buying synthetic in the first place ? Synthetic is meant for high running.
can i go without replacing mineral for 2 years as i only want to replace whn i clock atleast 10000

i want to go with mobil 1 0w40 please reply

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

can i go without replacing mineral for 2 years as i only want to replace whn i clock atleast 10000
I always change mineral oil within 5-6k kms. Will not recommend you to use till 10k.

Myth: If you use a good synthetic oil, you can change your oil less frequently.

Lubricant marketers do not set oil drain intervals; these recommendations are made by the engine manufacturers. The point of using high-quality synthetic oil is to take better care of the engine and reduce deposit formation, which may reduce power, performance, and fuel economy – rather than extending the drain interval.
Source : http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/why-synthetic-oil.html

Let's say , You are spending 4k on synthetic oil to use for 2 years.
Why dont you spend 1400rs every year on semi synthetic ?
Dont go for mobil 0w40 fully synthetic. It's unfeasible.
Don't get confused more. Get castrol semi synthetic and get it changed every year.

Btw what's your swift's interval period ?

I always change mineral oil within 5-6k kms. Will not recommend you to use till 10k.

Source : Good Reasons for Switching to Synthetic Oil | United States

Don't get confused more. Get castrol semi synthetic and get it changed every year.

it has only clocked 14900 in 3 years

Source : Good Reasons for Switching to Synthetic Oil | United States

it has been 1year since my oil replacemnt but it has clocked only 7000 kms since i got it serviced should i change the oil and now finally tell me which 1 to choose for swift petrol its k series engine

Its not a good idea to use any oil for more then 1 year. The oil will degrade even if its not used.

Mineral oil should be charged every 6 months, semi-synthetic upto 10-12 months and fully synthetic can be charged every year.

Since you don't use your vehicle regularly, I too suggest you Castrol Magnatec which is semi-synthetic and it works out cheaper. Change it every year and you'll be fine. Either 5w40 or 10w30 but I'm not very sure about grades for your car.

p.s Mobil 1, Liqui Moly, Motul and etc are preferred brands for fully synthetic oil.

Last edited:

Its not a good idea to use any oil for more then 1 year. The oil will degrade even if its not used.

Mineral oil should be charged every 6 months, semi-synthetic upto 10-12 months and fully synthetic can be charged every year.

Since you don't use your vehicle regularly, I too suggest you Castrol Magnatec which is semi-synthetic and it works out cheaper. Change it every year and you'll be fine. Either 5w40 or 10w30 but I'm not very sure about grades for your car.

p.s Mobil 1, Liqui Moly, Motul and etc are preferred brands for fully synthetic oil.
in my manual it says 0w20 in 1st line then 5w30 in 2nd line i dont understand this

in my manual it says 0w20 in 1st line then 5w30 in 2nd line i dont understand this
My bad, its 5w30 and 10w40 available grades in Castrol Magnatec.

Since your car manual recommends 5w30, you can go for it.

0w20 is available from Shell Helix HX8 and Servo MGO which are specially made for Maruti Suzuki cars and I think ASC uses this grade.

Top Bottom