MG Hector: MG Motors India First SUV

Some Rushlane article says - Dealer insider quotes the price to undercut Harrier by 2 lakhs. They have huge pockets and can afford that if the report is true. Tough times for the Indian company. Indians don't always want a well engineered product with appeal. They want features and Hector has that in plenty.
I believe this could be true. They could price the base petrol at 10lakh+

#Hector will wait for #Seltos pricing & #Seltos will wait for #Hector pricing - so we all also wait!

I saw the Hector inside out (could not test drive), its very nice, spacious car - not a SUV. The fact that there are no manual controls for basic stuff like A/c, Windows, Music system etc., is not very comforting. Need to take the eye off the road to lower level screen (no point being large only) is a risk as well. Petrol could have been powered more from what i read in reviews (for inclines)

Nairrk

Honoured Member
New MG Hector launch tomorrow- Price Rs 10 L to 16 L expected

mg-hector-price-range-reveal.jpg

MG Hector is the first product from MG Motors to be launched in India. It is a 5 seater premium SUV. It has entered production at the company plant in Halol, Gujarat. MG Motors has revealed all the details about the car, except for the most important. Its price. Price of MG Hector will be revealed tomorrow at 11-30 AM. As per dealers, who are accepting bookings, price is expected to be really aggressive. At the media drive event of MG India, their CEO and MD, Mr Chaba said that the price will surprise everyone. We are expecting starting price to be in the range of Rs 10 lakh for base petrol, going up all the way to Rs 16 lakh range for diesel top model.

Read:

Got to have a good long time with the car in the showroom in Chennai with fellow member @kinky. We drove in with his Harrier and maybe that's the reason no one attended us even after requesting.
#Morrisgarages #Hector

Pros:
1. Front design looks good and premium although too much chrome.
2. Size is big. It's a long car.
3. Metal quality is awesome. So heavy doors and needs significant effort to open and close. Paint quality is impressive as most of the colours are metallic. Yet to see how well this scores in crash test. (even #scorpio was heavy, but scored 0)
4. Lots of features claimed on paper. Gives a lot to show off. Sunroof, 360 camera and auto tailgate are premium features.
5. engine bay is neatly packed with plastic. All engines are badged MG Turbo irrespective of petrol and diesel.
6. Voice commands work good and audio quality is strong, although not better than Harrier 's 9 speaker unit.

Cons:
1. Side profile is really disproportionate. Looks more like mpv with long body and small wheels. Wheel design also doesn't suit the car. Rear design looks plain Chinese. The red reflector between the tail lamps and the massive silver bumper bash plate looks plain aftermarket and cheap. The rear itself looks like a cheap attempt to copy Audi Q7.
2. Interior overall design isn't anything new or inspiring. Apart from the massive touchscreen, there isn't much to like about the design inside.
3. Quality of interior panels and seats are very average. The dash material is similar to Maruti #Ciaz and the leather is not as good as Harrier or Compass. Everywhere you can feel hard plastics only and it doesn't feel premium at all.
4. Seat comfort on any seat is very average. Powered seats are helpful but thigh support is seriously short in any seat. Front seats are manageable, but rear seats are utterly pathetic and more like XUV5OO seats. The recline function is weird and doesn't help at all. After traveling in Harrier, this feels like a serious step down. Harrier feels like sofa.
5. Given all those features on paper, it feels like vfm. But long term quality is a huge doubt. The sunroof had weird noise while opening and closing and the sun blinds, wind deflector in the roof are like mosquito nets. Looks and feels cheap and I don't think it will last more than a week in our varying temperature and climate conditions.
6. 360 degree camera quality is very laggy and no better than Harrier. I thought Harrier camera was poor quality and this is also the same. No idea how long will it last.
7. while the voice commands worked fine, the touchscreen itself is laggy and takes 1 second to respond and its literally confusing to use it every time for ac controls every time. Not everyone is comfortable with voice commands and MG needs to know that. It's sometimes really frustrating to use the touchscreen and to scroll through the menu.
6. The tailgate opening motor feels like a budget one. It takes full 2 seconds for the tailgate to respond after you press the open button. I have operated Alturas, #Endeavour and they are almost immediate in response. This feels like a cost cut motor.
7. This is the biggest concern. The doors and metals are so heavy and bulky. I seriously doubt whether the thin, standard hydraulic struts for the boot would last for atleast a year. If you see, such heavy cars like the #Alturas uses a much bigger strut to hold the boot.
8. Clutch is HEAVY. It felt so damn heavy even for a car with the engine off. Wonder how would it feel when running and expecially in Chennai traffic. All the best for your left leg. Harrier felt like smooth butter in comparison.

Overall ambience and feel of the Hector leaves a lot to be desired, especially when you go to the showroom in a #Harrier. Although I didn't drive the Hector, The Harrier feels and looks more premium and proper right away. All depends on pricing and according to the consultant, the diesel Sharp would cost 24L on road. So that doesn't look like a good value for this car, Given its Chinese origin and iffy quality in certain obvious places.
Let's wait for the pricing.

FB_IMG_1561521712871.jpg

Attachments

#Hector pricing expected to be disclosed today (27Jun) by #MG - lets see. I also suspect a INR 21-23 Lac onroad for Sharp variants

Nairrk

Honoured Member
MG Hector Launched In India; Prices Start At ₹ 12.18 Lakh

MG Motor had revealed almost everything about the Hector in a series of events but we still awaited the prices. Now the company has announced the price of the Hector and it starts at ₹ 12.18 lakh (ex-showroom, India) going all the way up to ₹ 16.88 lakh. These prices are introductory. The Hector will be available in four variants- Style, Super, Smart and Sharp and of course it is the first connected car in its segment. The company has kick started operations with 120 centres for the convenience of its customers. This figure will go up to 250 in September

Read:

Got to have a good long time with the car in the showroom in Chennai with fellow member @kinky. We drove in with his Harrier and maybe that's the reason no one attended us even after requesting.
#Morrisgarages #Hector

Pros:
1. Front design looks good and premium although too much chrome.
2. Size is big. It's a long car.
3. Metal quality is awesome. So heavy doors and needs significant effort to open and close. Paint quality is impressive as most of the colours are metallic. Yet to see how well this scores in crash test. (even #scorpio was heavy, but scored 0)
4. Lots of features claimed on paper. Gives a lot to show off. Sunroof, 360 camera and auto tailgate are premium features.
5. engine bay is neatly packed with plastic. All engines are badged MG Turbo irrespective of petrol and diesel.
6. Voice commands work good and audio quality is strong, although not better than Harrier 's 9 speaker unit.

Cons:
1. Side profile is really disproportionate. Looks more like mpv with long body and small wheels. Wheel design also doesn't suit the car. Rear design looks plain Chinese. The red reflector between the tail lamps and the massive silver bumper bash plate looks plain aftermarket and cheap. The rear itself looks like a cheap attempt to copy Audi Q7.
2. Interior overall design isn't anything new or inspiring. Apart from the massive touchscreen, there isn't much to like about the design inside.
3. Quality of interior panels and seats are very average. The dash material is similar to Maruti #Ciaz and the leather is not as good as Harrier or Compass. Everywhere you can feel hard plastics only and it doesn't feel premium at all.
4. Seat comfort on any seat is very average. Powered seats are helpful but thigh support is seriously short in any seat. Front seats are manageable, but rear seats are utterly pathetic and more like XUV5OO seats. The recline function is weird and doesn't help at all. After traveling in Harrier, this feels like a serious step down. Harrier feels like sofa.
5. Given all those features on paper, it feels like vfm. But long term quality is a huge doubt. The sunroof had weird noise while opening and closing and the sun blinds, wind deflector in the roof are like mosquito nets. Looks and feels cheap and I don't think it will last more than a week in our varying temperature and climate conditions.
6. 360 degree camera quality is very laggy and no better than Harrier. I thought Harrier camera was poor quality and this is also the same. No idea how long will it last.
7. while the voice commands worked fine, the touchscreen itself is laggy and takes 1 second to respond and its literally confusing to use it every time for ac controls every time. Not everyone is comfortable with voice commands and MG needs to know that. It's sometimes really frustrating to use the touchscreen and to scroll through the menu.
6. The tailgate opening motor feels like a budget one. It takes full 2 seconds for the tailgate to respond after you press the open button. I have operated Alturas, #Endeavour and they are almost immediate in response. This feels like a cost cut motor.
7. This is the biggest concern. The doors and metals are so heavy and bulky. I seriously doubt whether the thin, standard hydraulic struts for the boot would last for atleast a year. If you see, such heavy cars like the #Alturas uses a much bigger strut to hold the boot.
8. Clutch is HEAVY. It felt so damn heavy even for a car with the engine off. Wonder how would it feel when running and expecially in Chennai traffic. All the best for your left leg. Harrier felt like smooth butter in comparison.

Overall ambience and feel of the Hector leaves a lot to be desired, especially when you go to the showroom in a #Harrier. Although I didn't drive the Hector, The Harrier feels and looks more premium and proper right away. All depends on pricing and according to the consultant, the diesel Sharp would cost 24L on road. So that doesn't look like a good value for this car, Given its Chinese origin and iffy quality in certain obvious places.
Let's wait for the pricing.

View attachment 261007
What do you feel now bro ?? price of top end diesel undercuts your expectation by 5 lakhs and that's huge !!
I think it will dethrone the harrier in sales. Creta as well, only time will tell

One good thing for the customers out there to buy a car is that they have plenty of options now, an Indian, an Chinese, Couple of Koreans in the house too !!

MG Hector Launched In India; Prices Start At ₹ 12.18 Lakh
MG Motor had revealed almost everything about the Hector in a series of events but we still awaited the prices. Now the company has announced the price of the Hector and it starts at ₹ 12.18 lakh (ex-showroom, India) going all the way up to ₹ 16.88 lakh. These prices are introductory. Read:
This means the Sharp topend will be only ~ INR 19 L onroad. i.e a large MUV, great design, full sun-roof & gadgetry at less than INR 20 L. Harrier, Creta, Compass & the upcoming Seltos have a large monkey on their backs now. 5 yr unlimited warranty - really!
British brand using Chinese brain ! Potential Xaomi (of cars) in the making in India
I wish only if the engine was not as under-powered as is being quoted in various reviews.

I think MG has covered the bases. Price - just right for the competition. For trust in product - 5 year unlimited km (private use) warranty. Worried about stuck with a lemon - 60% buy back on ex-showroom price. If they can manage their After Sales Service well, Mahindra's and Tatas will have a lot to chew on. Kia Seltos now need to price the product carefully otherwise they may also face headwinds from MG.

Has anyone here done a good test drive of both the petrol & diesel of the Hector? How much is the lag & is this is real challenge when going on inclines ?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
MG Motor India Introduces Annual Maintenance Package For The Hector

image (2).png

The company offers Five years unlimited kilometres warranty, Five years unlimited kilometres road side assistance, Five labour free scheduled services and medical assistance via 24x7 pulse hub in case of an emergency are among the services which will be standard with the car. Other than these, the company has also introduced four annual maintenance service packages- Classic, Classic 360, Premium and Premium 360 for Hector customers. The service packs can be purchased at a premium of ₹ 8000 for the base Classic pack which will be applicable for five years. The Classic and Classic 360 provides additional scheduled maintenance plans for the Hector. The Premium and Premium 360 plans on the other hands also cover wear and tear of parts (excluding tyre, battery and accidental repair) along with scheduled maintenance plans.

Read:

Excellent Pricing by MG Motors. Though I am sad to watch Harrier fail but one cant stop appreciating MG Motors to bring SUV manufacturers to their senses.

Every SUV being launched had a bloated price tag and surely this should bring the segment prices to realistic levels.

Also with an unpredictable future of Diesel vehicles Petrol engine is quite welcome as NGTs 10 years Law may be carried over to most of big cities in future.

Kudos MG Motors for providing a product worth waiting for. Let the best one WIN !!

Cheers !!

SG

Top Bottom