Mercedes To Discontinue R-Class MPV

Thread Starter #1
The luxury MPV from the Mercedes-Benz stable, the R-Class is no longer available with the Indian dealerships. The reason being poor demand for the luxury MPV in India as well as globally. The production for the R-Class will be axed globally by 2015. The Stuttgart based luxury automaker also has no plans to introduce the next generation R-Class globally as the demand is now shifting rapidly towards SUVs or crossovers for customers looking out for spacious vehicles.

The Mercedes R-Class, which, according to the carmaker is the king of the family car segment, came with both petrol and diesel engine options. The R350 CDi with a 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine produces a peak power output of 261 BHP with 618 Nm of maximum torque. The R350 with a 3.5-litre V6 petrol churns out a maximum power of 272 BHP with 357 Nm of peak torque. Both the engines are mated to a 7-speed G-Tronic automatic transmission.

The R-Class was offered with a 5+2 seater layout, equipped with Mercedes Pres-Safe system, Parktronic, rear seat entertainment system, Easy-Pack tailgate mechanism, Thermotornic and similar high-end tech. The Mercedes R-Class petrol variant was available for Rs. 58.7 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi), while the diesel variant retailed for Rs. 59 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi). At this price point, Indian buyers are preferring luxury SUVs rather than MPVs, hence the low demand and discontinuation of the vehicle.
500x340xMercedes-Benz-R-Class-Launch.jpg.pagespeed.ic.avUTlnE3w0.jpg
Article sourced from - Mercedes-Benz R-Class Discontinued In India | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Re: Mercedes to discontinue R Class MPV

Since When was this in India? I am seeing this merc for the first time in our forum.I think Merc people themselves did not have the interest to sell this.

I never saw R class in showroom till date, nor on roads. The most I see in non-sedan segment is the M Class.

Top Bottom