Mercedes plans small car for Indian market

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
"We can develop our own (small) car for India in future," Mercedes Benz India's chief financial officer and management board member, Uwe Jarosch, said in Mumbai.

"If we are investing Euro 1-billion on development of the car, then definitely (we) want huge volumes to justify it,"

I hope they launch the stripped down version of A class in addition to the said Small car. Heres more info from NDTV Profit.

On the back of a thriving domestic economy, fuelled by an increasing appetite for consumption, global auto giant Mercedes-Benz is looking at developing a small car for the Indian market, a senior company executive said.
The company, however, has not arrived at any timeframe to translate the idea into a concrete plan, the executive said.

"We can develop our own (small) car for India in future," Mercedes Benz India's Chief Financial Officer and Management Board Member Uwe Jarosch said.

The car development requires a huge investment and therefore it needs to be backed up by volumes, Jarosch said.

"If we are investing euro 1 billion on development of the car, then definitely (we) want huge volumes to justify it," he said.

The company's R&D centre in Bangalore, which supports the company's headquarters in Germany is likely to work on the small car project.

Mercedes-Benz also plans to nearly double the headcount at its Bangalore centre from the present 600, by next year, he said.

As a part of its business strategy, the German carmaker also plans to set up brand centres with investment from its existing dealers, which would show-case around 20-odd models.

The first such centre is expected to be set up in Delhi by March this year, Jarosch said, adding Bangalore, Chennai and Mumbai centres would come up at a later stage.

Even if they launch a small car i think they cant price it below 10Lakhs. How many people in India will buy a small car for 10Lakhs? Considering their investment money at stake , i doubt whether they be successful!

That would be great then we would have customised Cars ,Actually i wanted to know which car lubricant is better castrol or Servo have heard that castrol has come up with some World-Cup ka hero what is it actually does anybody know please help :-)

Hello Divya,

A warm Welcome to The Automotive India. Do tell us about yourself and the rides you own in a separate thread.

Actually i wanted to know which car lubricant is better castrol or Servo have heard that castrol has come up with some World-Cup ka hero what is it actually does anybody know please help :-)
IMO its better to believe things by yourself rather than these marketing strategies. Feel free to start a new thread for your query. We all will be happy to help you out.

Ohh... That's great news. I think Mercedes company is taking seriously about indian automotive market growing powerfully. I thinks it cost around min 9 to 12 lakhs in indian market.

one minute. even if they launch some small car i guess it will be niche hatch like 500 or beetle and i agree with cooldhaya. we cant expect brand new merc in even rs.6 lakhs atleast anytime sooner!!

Ohh... That's great news. I think Mercedes company is taking seriously about indian automotive market growing powerfully. I thinks it cost around min 9 to 12 lakhs in indian market.
one minute. even if they launch some small car i guess it will be niche hatch like 500 or beetle and i agree with cooldhaya. we cant expect brand new merc in even rs.6 lakhs atleast anytime sooner!!
hope the middle class people also afford to buy Mercedes Benz car in India[:)][confused]
@Umang, couldn't agree more with you mate. It's one thing to drool over these luxury machines, after all, most of us aspire to own one of them some day. But it truly is another thing to have these cars around everywhere. I mean, leaving the economics & marketing factors aside for a moment, would you love to own a 'luxury' brand at a price-point that makes it affordable to every third person around your complex?

I think not. I for one am all for affordability, but let us not dilute the charm of these fine machines by having them running amok like our daily rides.

Just my two cents friends,

cheers :)

p.s. @ edward, for the Middle-Class people with stars in the eyes, there's always a pre-owned Mercedes-Benz waiting for a space in their lives ;)

Top Bottom