Mercedes Benz Exposed: Airbags Failed To Deploy in S-Class Crash

From the pictures, it seems like a big accident. Why would the passenger airbag open without Driver side.
But anyway, life and death are controlled by god.
If its not his death time, a person would escape even if its a Maruti 800.
All I can say is RIP Nirmal.

Truly sad and may your brother rests in piece. I urge everybody here to drive slow and steady always. Life is more precious than any costliest car around, the road conditions and traffic sense of people in india do not permit any car in this world to be driven with 100% safety. Even when we know that we are driving good, the other person is not, keep it in mind!.

Anyways mercb is by all means answerable to this situation and learn from it to prevent this in future.

Almost one year has gone, come on , merc , come forward with the white paper on this issue.

Every body knows ARS (airbags) can save life usually but not always. Why the passengers airbag went operational?
Merc should come forward with a white paper on difference between ARS of s class and other cars which merely cost 15 to 20 lakhs.

sorry brother, that was a huge loss your family had suffered. An eye opener for us and technological gimmicks which all companies resort to in India.

On 12.11.2011, my brother, Nirmal Saraf, was driving a Mercedes S-class (claimed to be one of the most safest cars of the world), from Jaipur to Agra alone during the day. At about 12 o’clock, he met with an accident. A truck moving parallel to his car, took a sudden turn due which he had to apply sudden brakes. Unfortunately he hit the truck from the driver’s side. Due to the collision the rod, which holds the windscreen of the car broke and hit Nirmal near the shoulder, which caused him to loose control of the car. The car hit a few kiosks on the roadside. People nearby had to cut the seat belt and somehow managed to get him out of the car and an ambulance was called to take him to the hospital. But unfortunately the doctors couldn’t save my brother’s precious life. Even after such a big collision only one airbag opened of the Mercedes S-class and that too of the passenger’s side (left side) where as the car was hit on the driver’s side. Mercedes claims that ‘SAFETY’ is their utmost priority, and that they have provided 8 airbags in their S-class. Then why after such a big collision only one airbag opened and that too of left side where there was no major hit? Is selling the car more important than ensuring the security of it? We do not know what the ‘S’ in the name S-Class stand for, but its definitely not SAFETY.

Mercedes Exposed - Facebook
You have my full sympathies Mr. Saraf - I know it has been several years since the tragedy, but I came across this thread just now since I was looking for an appropriate thread to highlight the issue of defective air-bags.

I just saw the following report (Sonika Chauhan death: Model-actress Sonika Chauhan dies in a horrible road accident) where a car (a Toyota) crashed at high speed and none of the 4 airbags with which the car was equipped inflated. And, as I'm sure you too must have gathered over time, these are not isolated incidents.

What is the point of NCAP crash test videos with multi-star ratings (which the car & air-bag mfrs use for tom-tomming their wares across the media the world over) being accepted as the gold standard of safety?
I am beginning to suspect that the whole safety carnival is a scam. Until & unless safety equipment manufacturers themselves are brought to book (as well as the car mfrs who use these spurious safety equipment) for their equipment failures, why should car buyers buy these cars - with false hopes that their lives are safe in them?

Last edited:

Top Bottom