Maruti Zen MPFI 2006 CNG Installation

Thread Starter #1
Installed CNG on my Zen MPFI 2006 on 23/09/2011

Why CNG
: Thanks to rising petrol prices. My daily drive is 60 kms. My monthly petrol bill was killing my pocket.
I have decide to go for CNG the reason discussed in this forum - The Automotive India – Car and Bike Forums.html

Which Kit
:
Installed BRC CL (closed loop) with Lambda sensor

Tank capacity : 14 Kg

Costing : 31k with RTO work (changing RC)

Where : Suraj Auto Gas Limited Pune - Suraj Auto Lpg - lpg retrofitters, auto lpg, lpg cars, lpg car conversions, lpg conversion kit, dual fuel systems, auto gas & Rohan Automotive Equipments Private Limited

Time Taken - 1 day (Got car ready by evening)

Initial Observations : (After 300 km driving)

• Quality work done by Suraj Auto Gas people - tuned engine quite well
  • Initial test ride quality was good as expected.
  • No increase in NVH level
  • Pickup dropped about 10% in 2nd and 3rd gear
  • After 40 kmph cant feel any difference between CNG and petrol performance.
  • Still the engine requires more tuning and I will do this in next visit.
  • I have told them about pickup drop and they told me to test for some more time.
  • Lost Complete boot space

Details :

CNG Kits : I have done lot of googling about CNG kits.Biggest and best known International brands are Landi Renzo, Tartarini, BRC, OMVL, Zavoli etc.
I had inquired in local maruti service station and they suggested me to go for BRC. Here maruti showroom installs BRC kit in all maruti car models. They recommended me Suraj Auto Gas agency to get the work done. Called them and asked bout pricing etc. As 2 of my friends also want to get it installed (Baleno and Swift) we have asked them about some discount and and they offered us a good deal.Suraj Auto Gas agency are official CNG kit installers for Maruti, Tata, Mitsubushi, Cheverlet, HM

There were 2 kits
Closed Loop MPFI system : 31K
Sequential Injection System : 52k

They have suggested Advanced Closed Loop system hence opted the same.
Info - Alternative Fuel
http://www.rohanbrc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=24

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Zen MPFI 2006 CNG Installation

On Friday taken my zen and friends baleno for installation.They have done some initial checkups and started work.

First query was about Tank size 12 kg or 14 kg. Zens boot space is small hence they have doubt about 14L cylinder.But after some adjustments they were able to fix 14 kg cylinder.
Although I have to sacrifice my parcel try ,speakers and whole boot space. The 14 kg cylinder weighs 65kg.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

Button for CNG level indicator and CNG-Petrol switch (Change over switch ) is fitted on dashboard.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6

After finishing the installation they have done engine tuning and some initial tests.Everything worked properly then they had taken car for CNG filling.

Leakage checking done.

Again they have done tuning using CNG and it was perfect - job done! [thumbsup]

Attachments

Thread Starter #7

Instructions given :

* Initially engine starts with petrol then accelerate 2-3 time to cross 2000 rpm and then it shifts to CNG.
* Idling not required but its ok if we do it for 20-30 seconds
* Always keep 7-8 liters petrol in car as it first starts on petrol only
* We can switch from CNG to petrol or petrol to cng just by pressing a button (Change over switch ) fitted on dashboard.

Mileage : I have not yet calculated. Will update later.

CNG Filling:

* To fill CNG we need to open bonnet as inlet is at front side.
* Amount of CNG poured in car depends upon CNG filling stations pressure.Hence amount varies from station to station from 5kg to 10kg
* To fill 10 kg CNG it requires 3-4 minutes.
* Separate queues for auto-rickshaws and cars

General information :
1. Mileage -

• 800, Omni, Alto, Zen, Indica, Swift, I20, i10, Ritz, Eeco, WaganR, Beat, Spark - 27km / kg highway with AC on - 20km / kg in city with AC on
  • Accent, Esteem, Baleno, Ikon, Logan, OHC, Lancer, Sx4 - 25km / kg highway with AC on - 17km / kg in city with AC on
  • Civic, CRV, Corolla, Elantra, Sonata, Innova - 20km / kg highway with AC on - 15km / kg in city with AC on
2. Ford cars require Sequential Injection System kit: 52k
3. CNG - 37.9 Rs/kg in pune
4. There is no change in service interval for any car
5. RTO - Change required in RC - 1 Visit to regional rto office
6. Inform insurance provider also and update the insurance document
7. After rto approval we will get a small steel plate with a number embossed on it which is official prof(document) to fill cng

Questions/Suggestions welcome

For more Technical information
BRC Gas Equipment - Blitz and Just Systems
Lambda Control System

how is your pick-up on flyover because my pick-up was bad with lambda after removing it . it got better .

Thread Starter #9

pick-up on flyover is ok IMO but yes slightly less than petrol

Glad to see that you on CNG now.

I wish I could have that 14 kg cylinder. But due to the space I have to settle on 12 kg.

I have one query. How easy it is now to remove the spare tyre because in my case I have put it in vertical position.

Thread Starter #11

I wish I could have that 14 kg cylinder. But due to the space I have to settle on 12 kg.
14 kg or 12 kg IMO its almost the same only marginal difference regarding space.

I have one query. How easy it is now to remove the spare tyre because in my case I have put it in vertical position.
Vertical postilion is not recommended. If possible check with your service station.
I can remove the spare Tyre by bending back seat as it is below tank.

So you got it done finally! It is a great help as it cuts down that exorbitant fuel cost. Little loss in performance is expected from any kind of CNG installation be it closed or sequential. But that is negligible to bear when it comes to price.

Good write and up and many happy miles on the set up! [:)]

Top Bottom