Maruti Zen Estilo: Technical Issues & Solutions

i got my throttle body cleaned and stalling and rough idle problem solved,
again because of smoke i am too confused, car still smokes on petrol. while idling smoke is not noticeable unless you block exhaust pipe and release after it acculmulates lots of gasses. then it will release a puff of black dry soot and little whitish smoke which is not steam.
there is no smoke at all on cng. i checked my engine oil, it has changed its colour to light brown from almost transparent amber colour. in just 2 months and 300 kms.
i have also checked my pcv valve, it is working fine.
mechanic says same, smoke is due to bad piston rings and require overhaul. i dont understand the logic behind no smoke on cng.
i will try to get compression test done, but it will be difficult as there is no scientific mechanic in my area.
lets see what will come next, i will post further,
now i am planning to sell my car off within one year, but afraid that- the problem might be as little as a broken wire?

what it will cost if i want to get a last opinion from Maruti Authorized station regarding the condition of engine and reason behind smoke?

See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65LZXwt_A1I

I dont think you do really need to worry about the brown smoke.

*Have you changed your fuel filter?
*Whats the cost to clean the throttle body?

I don't know the cost of general checkup at Maruti. Mostly it should be less than Rs.500 or even free.
You can do the compression test from any of the big maruti service center.

See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65LZXwt_A1I

I dont think you do really need to worry about the brown smoke.

*Have you changed your fuel filter?
*Whats the cost to clean the throttle body?

I don't know the cost of general checkup at Maruti. Mostly it should be less than Rs.500 or even free.
You can do the compression test from any of the big maruti service center.
video was really very nice.
mechanic took 350 rs for throttle body.
he also tested fuel pressure by hand and told me that, fuel is flowing properly and filter does not require replacement.
since the colour of oil has changed,now i am also of opinion that something is very wrong with the engine.
i am constantly monitoring oil consumption and will reply soon about quantity consumed in 500 kms.

if i go for piston rings replacement as prescribed by mechanic, how much will it cost?
is rings replacement and overhaul worth it? how long will my car last after that?

i initially planned to keep it for further 3 years and then sell it, as i live in delhi and cars older than 15 years loose their resale value completely because vehicles older than 15 years are now banned.
but considering current situation, i am thinking of selling it within one year. but i am worried, because no one knows the exact issues and i might loose a good car.[confused][cry]

one more thing, could too thin engine oil be the culprit?
my mechanic poured 3.5 ltrs 5w30 oil and it is above 40 deg cel in delhi.
should i give a try to 5w40 or so? could it be the culprit?

Untitled.png

as per above chart i should use 10w40/10w50?

Whats the Maruti recommended engine oil grade for your car? If its 40 then definitely its not a good practice to use 5w-30, especially because as you said the temperature overthere in your place is high.
Ya, check whether there is any engine oil consumption. Dont mind the color of the engine oil, even a newly poured engine oil can get dark within few hundreds of kms. That shows the engine oil is doing its job perfectly. So just check the engine oil consumption.

The Cost of parts involved for the piston ring replacement can be only about Rs.2000/- but labor charge varies from person to person.

Unless you find a drop in power/ mileage/ engine oil level/ engine compression; piston ring replacement job is not required. So consult one more mechanic to seek his opinion.

May be because of my ignorance, seriously I cant see a real symptom for your engine to get it overhauled. Anyways, an overhauled engine is as good as a new engine.

Thread Starter #23
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been under the radar for so long, but I hope all is well.

I see Kichu has tackled your questions already, looks great!

I have to agree with him that there doesn't seem too much necessitating an entire overhaul job. But I've seen that many mechanics are fast to push you to change the piston rings as they can make a lot of labor charges out of it, I would recommend having an actual compression test done before you go for this though (essentially significantly lower pressure in a cylinder confirms worn rings).

What exact oil did you use (5W30, but which brand, etc.)?

Also, can we safely rule out fuel quality as an issue?

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been under the radar for so long, but I hope all is well.

I see Kichu has tackled your questions already, looks great!

I have to agree with him that there doesn't seem too much necessitating an entire overhaul job. But I've seen that many mechanics are fast to push you to change the piston rings as they can make a lot of labor charges out of it, I would recommend having an actual compression test done before you go for this though (essentially significantly lower pressure in a cylinder confirms worn rings).

What exact oil did you use (5W30, but which brand, etc.)?

Also, can we safely rule out fuel quality as an issue?
its castrol 5w30, constantly monitoring fuel quality, smoke and oil level, smoke is REDUCED to a great extent after i have started driving my car on petrol only, but still can be seen a very little on high rpm when idling.
i am looking for a mechanic that can do compression test. how much does it cost?
if i want to take an opinion from MASS then what will they charge for that?
pick -up and driving seems normal to me, pcv valve is also good, there is no unusual noise or vibrations from engine.
knocking also went down driving few kilometers on petrol, but a little knocking can be observed when driving with ac, there is almost no knocking when driving without ac.
i think ECM is retarding timing itself and learning running on petrol.

Kichu nice advises.
But you suspect a oil leak into cylinders.
Gas dont have enough energy to burn oil.
But in a small test we can find it.
1) compression test (can be done in any shop)
2) oil marks on tip of exhaust( can be done our self)

I recommend adiesh to check and post
back .

i don't know how oil marks look on exhaust, but there is a soot deposit on exhaust pipe, which is very very dry, may be because i drive on short routes only (2-3 kms).
soot is not oily at all.

Thread Starter #27
its castrol 5w30, constantly monitoring fuel quality, smoke and oil level, smoke is REDUCED to a great extent after i have started driving my car on petrol only, but still can be seen a very little on high rpm when idling.
i am looking for a mechanic that can do compression test. how much does it cost?
if i want to take an opinion from MASS then what will they charge for that?
pick -up and driving seems normal to me, pcv valve is also good, there is no unusual noise or vibrations from engine.
knocking also went down driving few kilometers on petrol, but a little knocking can be observed when driving with ac, there is almost no knocking when driving without ac.
i think ECM is retarding timing itself and learning running on petrol.
I'm quite sure most MASS should be able to test it for little to no money. If it turns out there is a loss of compression, however, it may cost you a fair amount.

HI my estillo has done 48000kms, regularly serviced.
lately there is a rattle like sound when I turn, while still on the accelerator pedal.
But when I dont use the accelerator, it is silent during the turn.

Any clues, experience on this, and advise please!

TIA
Milind

Hi,
I have a 2007 model zen estillo lxi
2 years Back the steering rod was changed.
Some time power steering stop working and car behaves as a normal steering, but as I switch off the engine and start the car again it works fine.
For this I went to a garage and they check by using a laptop but no problem was found and they cleaned the coupler, but problem is still there.

Second problem: car vibrates badly on 80Km/ hr. and above speed
I changed all the four tyres with alignment and balancing, but problem is not solved.

Last edited:

Top Bottom